• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wages and Purchasing Homes & Cars.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have noticed many of my friends are the same, Just got into the work-force and not earning much(Around 2.1 to 2.5 k and Partner is earning around the same with a Combine cpf of no more then $30k) and buying cars and 5room flats.(Some have purchased left over 5room flats and have moved in after getting married a few months earlier or just got married and buying 5room under BTO, Not much savings, not much in CPF savings)

Taking note of the Economy, Housing inflation etc, Does this make sense or is it risky....

What happen to being in less debt and having more cash in hand?

Why move direct to a 5room flat instead of building up from 3 room then 4 room then 5room, Like most of our parents?

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have noticed many of my friends are the same, Just got into the work-force and not earning much(Around 2.1 to 2.5 k and Partner is earning around the same with a Combine cpf of no more then $30k) and buying cars and 5room flats.(Some have purchased left over 5room flats and have moved in after getting married a few months earlier or just got married and buying 5room under BTO, Not much savings, not much in CPF savings)

Taking note of the Economy, Housing inflation etc, Does this make sense or is it risky....

Why move direct to a 5room flat instead of building up from 3 room then 4 room then 5room, Like most of our parents?

theres no point of cash in hand if one does not know how to snowball their money .

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's what the ruling party wants their peasants and their descendants to be, forever in debt and obedient.

Majority of the peasants are trapped in this vicious cycle.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's all about face.

So you can brag about having 'got it made' during lunchtime chat with your co-workers, during meetup sessions with friends, and during CNY with relatives.

If you don't have such a big head, don't wear such a big hat.

Taking on additional and unnecessary debts is never a good idea.

A car's value depreciates sharply once it has been bought. And in Singapore, car ownership is a major moneysink (fuel, COE, parking, ERP etc).

And even if you want to get a car for the sole practical purpose of travelling from point A to point B, why not consider other options? A motorbike? A second hand car or a modest car (e.g. Honda Fit)? A weekend car?

Always be sensible with your money. With the govt already having spirited away a considerable chunk of your disposable income into CPF/Medisave, you must plan, budget, save and invest wisely.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Young ppl these days do not have the patience to 'slowly' move up the ladder. They're an impatient lot trying to showcase their success right from the start.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if im not wrong, newly wed, they will be granted loan at a lower interest for the first time applying HDB.
futhermore, now mostly built are 4-5 room flat, dun tink have a choice.

as for car, if they are doing sales, imho, it might be better to have a car than keep on taking cabs, buses and mrt.

have a high end car out of your means, den i dunno wat to say.:biggrin:

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you do not know how to make use of the low interest rates to make $$$, then forever you will no be rich...

Use bank's $$$ as long as you have a job slowly pay them, worry here worry there... No need to "live".

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Does this make sense or is it risky

bro,
cash is king. stay debt-free, utilise all of your CPF on housing since you can't take it out anyway. cash out later when you need a bigger place when you have your budding family :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, especially after the recent fiascos on public transportation.
if im not wrong, newly wed, they will be granted loan at a lower interest for the first time applying HDB.
futhermore, now mostly built are 4-5 room flat, dun tink have a choice.

as for car, if they are doing sales, imho, it might be better to have a car than keep on taking cabs, buses and mrt.

have a high end car out of your means, den i dunno wat to say.:biggrin:

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
theres no point of cash in hand if one does not know how to snowball their money .

Totally agree with this bro's comment. It's important not to anyone spend money BUT, it's also important not to let your money be left idle coz inflation will diminish the value. Use the money saved to do some investment such as property or bonds, blue chips stocks etc with a longer term view.

Delay gratification is better.. don't live it up when you are not financially stable.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have noticed many of my friends are the same, Just got into the work-force and not earning much.....(abbreviated....)

Well, you said it yourself......"just got into the work-force...."

Obviously, these are young people. Never get a taste of the previous Recessions that bit the Oldies deeply and left Ugly Scars that have yet to heal! Many young people in Sinkiepoor never get a taste of Retrenchment yet. That is soon about to change.

With all the 'Cooling Measures' on property, I still see Condo's being snapped up at S$1,450+ psf. It is obvious to me many of these sales are not 'Phantom Sales,' i.e. developer getting his employees to pretend to buy up many units, and later hopefully subsale them to the Market. Many of these are to young people buyers. These youngsters have not lived thru the Crash of '98. If they have tasted the bitter experience of properties crashing down and staying down more than 10 years, they will not be so brave today.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

nothing surprising , this is the typical traits of a sinkie.

i still remember an article i read here more than 10 years ago.
briefly , family with a teenage son went on group tour to china.
tour guide brought the group to see old historic town ,
sinkie boy , seeing an ancient pogoda , exclaimed loudly : they even copied the building at our chinese garden .

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Combine income of 5K income how to buy car and flat? unless got family support or savings.
If not cannot renovate the flat or have any furniture unless buy from courts on installment and take renovation loan.
Then car buy already after monthly car loan installments left with no money pay petrol and parking or maintenance.