• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Viewers shocked to see animal killed in reality cooking show

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose most city folk aren't used to seeing animals being slaughtered, they just love to eat. This report here show just that - viewers are aghast at what they witnessed in a reality show. I feel that schools should arrange a visit to an abbatoir for school children to see how animals are killed and then decide for themselves whether they still choose to makan at KFC after that.

Cheers!

http://www.thanhniennews.com/entert...s-uproar-around-masterchef-vietnam-31567.html

Censor's slip causes uproar around MasterChef Vietnam

By Hien Nhi, Thanh Nien News
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 17:43

A high-ranking Vietnamese television official said that footage of an angry reality show contestant beheading a soft-shelled turtle was broadcast nationally on Saturday due to “a mistake in censorship.”
Lai Van Sam, head of the Sports, Entertainment and Business desk at VTV3 said on Tuesday that "allowing such a violent scene to air was an accident”.
“We are responsible for that mistake. Sometimes, [we have to] watch too many programs a day and only inattention [causes us to] miss such scenes. [We] stood there stupefied after [it was] broadcast,” said Sam of the close-up shot from the latest episode of the cooking reality show MasterChef Vietnam.
The contestants were challenged to prepare a meal using live animals, including two kinds of fish and a turtle.
Khanh Phuong, a young female cook, had difficulties dealing with her task.
She was filmed making several unsuccessful attempts to turn the turtle upside down and draw it's battered head from its shell.
Finally, the impatient girl used a big knife to chop it clean off.
The violent series of events was broadcast nationally before millions of viewers.
Hundreds of viewers later called, wrote and posted complaints about the show online.
“Such images are inappropriate for television,” Thanh Lam, a viewer in Ho Chi Minh City told Tuoi Tre.
Meanwhile, Nguyen Thao, another viewer from the southern metro said she decided to “never watch MasterChef Vietnam again."
“Although we have to cook and kill a fish or a chicken or shrimp every day…, but it’s a private thing done at home. This is a television show, how could they allow such images to be shown?”
Many other viewers also pledged on their social media accounts to turn their back on the show “forever”.
“What happens if my little son sees the beheading scene and thinks it’s okay to pick up a knife, and cut off the head of his little dog, or any other living things?” asked a young mother on her Facebook account.
Others said that the scene should have been blurred out rather than shot close-up.
Contestant Khanh Phuong said she was so embarrassed when viewing that scene as the way she killed the turtle “was very cruel”.
“I could not sleep well since I killed that animal.”
However, one member of the jury who was keeping his eyes on the MasterChef contestants, said that the reality show should respect whatever happened during the contest.
“The image was related to, and is a part of the story,” said chef Tuan Hai, a member of the show's jury.
“Dealing with live animals involves situations that every cook must overcome. Watching such scenes, viewers can find out more about the candidate’s character,” said Hai.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
simi lanjeow, Vietnamese, a race that eat dog meat, cannot see blood on TV? it a bloody cooking show for pete sake, cooks are suppose to know how to handle live ingredient. if kill turtle is cruel, might as well be a veggie. TIU.......... :oIo:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are some who eat dog, but I don't think we can assume that dog meat is consumed by all Vietnamese. The older generation are used to seeing animals getting slaughtered for meals, but many youngsters are not. When I was in primary school, I helped by dad kill chickens for CNY, even assisted him skinning frogs when he caught them, but nowadays, none of my nephews have experienced this. I have witnessed turtles being killed and sold at Smith Street when young (my dad used to go there to buy pigeons - believed to be goof for treatment of respiratory problems) and it was quite a scene, all the blood on the floor, the reptile struggling desperately, without heads. Nobody in Singapore buys their animal food whole and living and takes it home to slaughter anymore. It's a thing of the past.

Yes, you are right. Many who have witnessed animal slaughter have turned vegetarian. It is not a pretty sight.

Cheers!

simi lanjeow, Vietnamese, a race that eat dog meat, cannot see blood on TV? it a bloody cooking show for pete sake, cooks are suppose to know how to handle live ingredient. if kill turtle is cruel, might as well be a veggie. TIU.......... :oIo: