• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Video: CNY 2018 SGP China Town market business poorer year by year

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not bad at all. the last thing you want is a horde of 69k tiongs clogging the streets and spitting on a 6.9-second basis.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Looks really busy to me. Motormafia, you crazy or what Must be so crowded until cannot move then you consider busy

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks really busy to me. Motormafia, you crazy or what Must be so crowded until cannot move then you consider busy

There has been STRAIGHT ACUTE DECLINES over last 15 years. I go every year. And might be able to find old videos or pics.

In the past years, THE SURFACE OF ROAD ALWAYS INVISIBLE COMPLETELY BLOCKED BY PEOPLE.

Most importantly BUSINESSES WERE GOOD and VISITORS WERE SPENDING & BUYING.

Now mostly empty handed windows shoppers. Look See no buy.

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
he's like bangla on mrt train. wants it to get packed in order to get "in touch" to rubba rubba.

I can tell you also that VERITY & QUALITY & VALUES of Good Sold are poorer and poorer year by year.

Food, ornaments, gifts, flowers, plants etc, were all better and higher priced during past years. I remember sellers only too busy collecting payments. Stocks kept coming in by trolleys and customers carrying full of shopping bags. It was buzzling market before. I had not seen CNY Market in China Town so quiet.

In the past years, if you let go the young kids hands, you will have to scream and search for them. Now you can let them walk and easily spot them.

Truth_Hurts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays..can go other places for shopping..no need Chinatown. N excessive decoration are a waste of money

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I can tell you also that VERITY & QUALITY & VALUES of Good Sold are poorer and poorer year by year.

Food, ornaments, gifts, flowers, plants etc, were all better and higher priced during past years. I remember sellers only too busy collecting payments. Stocks kept coming in by trolleys and customers carrying full of shopping bags. It was buzzling market before. I had not seen CNY Market in China Town so quiet.

In the past years, if you let go the young kids hands, you will have to scream and search for them. Now you can let them walk and easily spot them.

Sounds like it has become a less stressful place to go to period.

You sinkies are crazy. When it is busy like hell, no space to walk, whole street covered every inch by bodies, hot sweaty, cannot find kids, have screaming parents everywhere noisy like shit , expensive useless things to buy, kena rip off YOU COMPLAIN!

Then when it is quieter , less crowded, cheaper items, can go for leisure stroll and look at things to buy, no worry about not being able to find kids, YOU COMPLAIN ALSO!

WTF MAN!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you have just described the perfect shopping experience for me. thank you. sg chinatown has becum a great place to stroll, makan and shop. moreover there are more good looking angmos around. less ugly chinks to cringe at.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
you have just described the perfect shopping experience for me. thank you. sg chinatown has becum a great place to stroll, makan and shop. moreover there are more good looking angmos around. less ugly chinks to cringe at.

yeah lor. Agree with you man. Who wants to go to super crowded cannot move place to shop

I mean go like some super hot star concert or disco rubba rubba is different story lah

sinkies siao one.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah lor. Agree with you man. Who wants to go to super crowded cannot move place to shop

I mean go like some super hot star concert or disco rubba rubba is different story lah

sinkies siao one.
sinkies too crowded kpkb, not crowded kpkb, just nice also kpkb. goldilocks will pull her hair out and jump at marina bay.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Food, ornaments, gifts, flowers, plants etc, were all better and higher priced during past years. I remember sellers only too busy collecting payments. Stocks kept coming in by trolleys and customers carrying full of s
shopping bags. It was buzzling market before. I had not seen CNY Market in China Town so quiet.

In the past, long, long ago, Chinatown was the PLACE to buy authentic Lunar New Year's cooking stuffs, goodies, decorations; it was not a manufactured bazaar like today. My late mother, will go there & buy cooking ingredients like certain kind of sauces, certain kind of flour, New Year's decorations, like those greetings written in gold ink on a red paper done by those old man in the 5 foot way stalls & many other things. As time went on, the sauces, flour & whatever cooking stuffs disappeared with urban renewal together with the hand written season grettings, my late, mum stopped going to chinatown. The "bak kwa' or we called it 'long yoke', by that "LIM" is overhyped, my late mum never bought at all... I never queued for it & as years go by, ate even lesser of the stuff.

Chinatown has lost its charm & usefulness , many eons ago....for it was no longer a 'live' place, where people, live, breed & die there..it is now a manufactured place for the locals & visitors to see. Little wonder, if crowds are dwindling each year, for you find the same stuffs all over the heartland's centrals. Why would one, want to travel all the way to chinatown?...unless, like I had mentioned, something you need to buy..where you can only get it there. ( in the past, yes!).

Furthermore, usually before the Lunar New Year....many true blue Singaporeans gets the 'chop' from their jobs, while the FT gets the job. The employers here will subtly 'remove' Singaporeans from their 'high paying' job before the festive season; it is now mostly FT's you see, mostly browsing through Chinatown; locals , yes, few, buying less.

That is why Chinatown is so quiet....the heartland's Lunar New Year markets, is not so good either...crowds, yes!...but relatively quiet too.

SARS_orchard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember the TV & SPH interviewed China Town CNY market sellers about businesses. The CNY 2017& CNY 2016 both experienced decreased in business turn overs. And 2017 some sellers told media a 30% drop.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sounds like it has become a less stressful place to go to period.

You sinkies are crazy. When it is busy like hell, no space to walk, whole street covered every inch by bodies, hot sweaty, cannot find kids, have screaming parents everywhere noisy like shit , expensive useless things to buy, kena rip off YOU COMPLAIN!

Then when it is quieter , less crowded, cheaper items, can go for leisure stroll and look at things to buy, no worry about not being able to find kids, YOU COMPLAIN ALSO!

WTF MAN!

That's the Singaporean DNA..complain, complain,complain...then, when it is the proper time, to do the right thing...they 'SHAFT" THEMSELVES IN THE ARSE, VOTE FOR PAP. That is the kind of people we have, complaining about Chinatown being a 'ghost town' is no exception.

In the past, families would jus go down to Chinatown, just to soak in the spirit, never mind the 'wall to wall' people, getting rip off, was another 'adventure'...it gives good chatter over reunion dinner's & over conversation during visiting. Finding bargains is another, especially on the eve of the Lunar New Year before 2359hrs....you get bargains ( this is not so, now!)....or someone will secretly..let off a firecracker at stroke of midnight..illegal,,,but what the heck!, that is the spirit.

Complaining is what Singaporeans does best!... it is a NATIONAL TREASURE!...must complain mah!..cheers!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Much lesser crowd than the previous years. See for yourself.

LESS CROWDED sounds like a good thing to me. After I've heard a non stop stream of complaints of the last few years about how over populated the Island is nowadays.