• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

VB Affair: This Kind Of PERSON We Do NOT Need In This World; Let Alone VOTE For Him.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP's statement on Wijeysingha disappointing

Letter from Li Shi-En, Lisa
02:55 AM Apr 26, 2011
I refer to the TODAYonline article "PAP on Wijeysingha video: Candidates should be upfront about motives" (April 25). The PAP team, led by Minister Vivian Balakrishnan, said in a statement on April 25 that a YouTube video shows SDP candidate Dr Vincent Wijeysingha at a forum discussing gay issues. Dr Balakrishnan added that the video "promotes gay causes" and that this "raises the question on whether Dr Wijeysingha will now pursue this cause in the political arena and what is the SDP's position on the matter".

Firstly, I am surprised that Dr Balakrishnan does not know SDP's position on the matter because the party has always been upfront about its stand. Its vision is that "as a nation, we must not only show tolerance but also acceptance of our fellow citizens regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation, or political persuasion". In October 2007, the SDP also publicly supported the call to repeal 377A in accordance with its party principles. All this information is on their website, and Singaporeans who take their voting seriously already know this.

Secondly, I am not sure what Dr Balakrishnan means by "pursuing this cause in the political arena". If he is referring to the possibility of Dr Wijeysingha (or any other politician) raising the issue of 377A in Parliament, that is only to be expected at some point in the future, not because of Dr Wijeysingha's personal sexual orientation or alleged personal cause, but because of SDP's clearly-stated vision for an inclusive Singapore.

I am keen to elect politicians who are able to articulate sound, thoughtful and diverse views for discussion on any number of issues in Parliament, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. As such, I am disappointed that Dr Balakrishnan paints such a negative picture of MPs "pursuing causes in the political arena". Isn't that what we are voting them in for? In any case, one Dr Wijeysingha in Parliament will hardly swing the votes and abolish 377A, if the majority of politicians and Singaporeans are against this move.

Thirdly, Dr Balakrishnan describes the video's forum discussion as having touched on topics like "sex with boys and whether the age of consent for boys should be 14 years of age". This is a very misleading description. Viewers of the video will know that the forum speaker mentions the different age of consent for different countries, for example Sweden, where the age of consent for sex is 15 years (the speaker mistakenly says 14 years). However, not a single one of the forum participants proceed to discuss whether Singapore's age of consent should be lowered or not, which suggests that this was never their aim.

Finally, Dr Balakrishnan says that the video "promotes gay causes". What exactly is the "gay cause"? If gay men wanting to remove the clause that criminalises their private behaviour is the "gay cause" that Dr Balakrishnan refers to, this video could equally be described as one that supports basic human rights - the right for gay men not to be classified as criminals in Singapore. In the days of apartheid in South Africa, Nelson Mandela was jailed for fighting for the "black cause"; nowadays, we refer to this as equality.

During the April live political debate on Channel NewsAsia, Dr Wijeysingha showed Singaporeans that he is an articulate, capable speaker who is passionate for social justice. My opinion of him has not changed.

However, I am saddened by the appearance of such gutter politics from one of our Ministers and his PAP teammates, Mr Christopher De Souza, Mr Liang Eng Hwa and Ms Sim Ann, who signed off on this misleading statement. Instead of showing us why they are better leaders for Singapore or engaging the Opposition on policy differences, they have resorted to a smear campaign based on a Youtube video posted by an anonymous netizen.

<noscript> </noscript>
<ins style="display: inline-table; border: medium none; height: 60px; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px;"><ins id="aswift_0_anchor" style="display: block; border: medium none; height: 60px; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px;"></ins></ins>

<input value="PAP's statement on Wijeysingha disappointing" id="hdnArticleTitle" type="hidden"> talkback
1 - 3 of 23 responses to "PAP's statement on Wijeysingha disappointing"
Hah?
Updated 08:59 AM April 26, 2011
"Gays are people after all. BUT I am against gay rights like gay marriage,sex etc."

If gays are people and people have sex and get married, why can't gay people have sex and get married?

Your thinking is warped!
Report Abuse
reportAbuseIcon.gif

Matt
Updated 08:55 AM April 26, 2011
@Lawrence

For me human rights are simple...freedom of speech and not to be discriminated against at work, and equal opportunities etc. Gays are people after all. BUT I am against gay rights like gay marriage,sex etc. I do not want the party I vote in to fight for this cause. I want to hear DIRECTLY from Dr Ang Yong Guan, Ms Michelle Leea and Mr Tan Jee Say on what they feel on this matter, and if Dr W should pursue gay rights (defined above), would the 3 of them follow suit or go against him. I want to vote for them because I think they are capable more than Dr VB's team and I agree with the plans they have for sg. But I also have personal convictions that I do not want to compromise.
Report Abuse
reportAbuseIcon.gif

Charles
Updated 08:52 AM April 26, 2011
Vivian Balakrishnan first broached on the subject (of the video) as a reference to Tan Jee Say not exercising due dilligence before joining the SDP. Now that the subject matter is out, it really begs the question - is Vivian B. trying to tell Singaporeans NOT to join or support a party that is open-minded enough to discuss gay rights?

Frankly, I am hugely disappointed.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: VB Affair: This Kind Of PERSON We Do NOT Need In This World; Let Alone VOTE For H

VB is a tax bandit for YOG. The citizens want the 287 million refunded to the reserves from his pocket.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: VB Affair: This Kind Of PERSON We Do NOT Need In This World; Let Alone VOTE For H

Ok great. Now i have to choose between some gay politician who will probably make it legal to suck dick in public or a half-breed who ask poor people to go fuck dogs.

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

VB himself is a "soft" guy. hmmm....

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

maybe vincent trying to "sian" vivian. both feminine indians fighting, sibeh interesting. sure got fireworks...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:

VB himself is a "soft" guy. hmmm....

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I guess we need knnbccb to come in and teach us what to when stuck in a hole with a gay ah neh and a half-breed ah neh and 6 snakes, but only have 6 bullets.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How to vote for someone who overspent by the millions for the stupid holding of YOG which achieve nothing much. The only significant thing I remember is the bullying of our young volunteers by giving them dog food !!!

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal

what more can we ask of a man with a woman's name? so is he trying to say that its alright to be homophobic, while its his God-given right to burst the YOG budget by >3 times?

i think its just a desperate attempt to divert attention & heat for his extravagant saga. if we look closely, VB's complexion hasnt gone fairer... he's gone pale!

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fuucck that Vivacious Bala Mama !

Spearhead

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vote VB out of the cabinet...
Unless he return the 287 millions to us!!!!

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vote VB out of the cabinet...
Unless he return the 287 millions to us!!!!

He brushes it off like he can make so much in his lifetime. We cannot let such slime be in politics.