• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vancouver A Good Place to Emigrate To!

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you had traveled between Edmonton and Jasper on Hwy 16, you had passed by part of the park as one approaches the town of Hinton . Google 'Switzer provincial park' if you want to know the entrance direction.

For the longest time, at least 4 decades, William Switzer held the honor as the pilot who shot Rommel(Desert Fox)'s car during D day. In the movie, (towards the end) the Spitfire shot up a German staff car and forcing it off the road injuring Rommel. A few years ago, "eastern revisionists' gave the honor to Charley Fox and you guess it right, Charley Fox was from Ontario. Very Canadian eh?
Google "Switzer+Rommel". Most postings has been taken offline since the credit went to Fox

Banff is more convenient to get to from Calgary.

Don't think I've ever been to Switzer Provincial Park. :confused: I have a copy of The Lonest Day Movie on DVD, its one of my favourit movies. Which heroic exploit was credited to Switzer:confused:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada and Vancouver no doubt is a fabulous plate to migrate to. I wish anyone going over the very best of luck, and the good and certain fortune they deserve.

Just beware some morons like Chewed, Neddy, etc or anyone who joined this forum on July 2008 as this one person registered 10 nicks and like to spam this forum

If you a headed to Canada we hope you come here and share your thoughts and experiences and just ignore idiots like Chewed and you should be fine.

The funny thing is Chewed sounds exactly like neddy and the other idiots from July 2008 as well. No originality to thier stupidity here

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IA few years ago, "eastern revisionists' gave the honor to Charley Fox and you guess it right, Charley Fox was from Ontario. Very Canadian eh?
Google "Switzer+Rommel". Most postings has been taken offline since the credit went to Fox

Here I thought the rivalry between Edmonton & Calgary was bad:smile:

Back before the Flames won the Stanley Cup there was the Edmontonian joke about the Calgary bra, all support without the cups :biggrin:

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: You took the Suggestions in Good Spirit, a Good Trait

Allow me to congratulate you, for t
I am in my 28th year in Toronto. I have been here longer than I have lived in Singapore. It was a challenging start during my first year, not been assigned the level of professional work ...

If it is any encouragement to you, I have seen numerous immigrants improved their lives, became comfortable and successful, regardless of their education level or skills or which year they immigrated to Canada. I believe it is their ambition, drive, determination and perseverance.

Thanks for sharing with us. It was certainly very encouraging to hear your real life story. How I wish I could be like you at 51, having 4 kids and can choose to work 2 to 3 days a week. Having plenty of time to smell the roses and spend more time with your kids and watch them grow up...

You must have migrated to Canada during your twenties or so. Was it your decision to migrate or your parent's ?

I have one son and already cost me a bomb in his extra classes/tuition's in Chinese, English on top of the kindergarten fee. I cannot imagine how much it will cost me should I have more children in Singapore these days. Anyway, wish me luck in Canada.

Last edited:

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Try to Improve your written and spoken English

Congraluation and welcome to canada. I have help a few samster to settle in Edmonton.

Add me as a friend in your facebook. U can see how life has been treating me. I have only been in Edmonton Canada 3+year. I have managed to reduce my forum that i got a wealth of info when i was in your phase of the migration process.

Thanks for your email. I have sent you a few more emails and waiting for your advice. Looking forward to see you in facebook:smile:

Thank you for helping newbie like me with your experience. Appreciated.:wink:

whoh757

Hi ak168

congratulations on your firm decision. was in VNR for 6-mths back in Uni days. Love the place too. Agree with some of the comments here: do go in spring i.e. Mar or so. Weather is much better and 'closer' to SIN and your boy can enter school i believe in Sep. I've decided to stay on in SIN instead till my 2 kids are older (now babies). could we touch base in facebook as well?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We slept in a thousand stars hotel - slept in the open of a camping ground.
We sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars" - those were the nights.

Envy you guys ... at least you are in the northern hemisphere. I am bored stiff with the stars of the southern cross.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: You took the Suggestions in Good Spirit, a Good Trait

Thanks for sharing with us. It was certainly very encouraging to hear your real life story. How I wish I could be like you at 51, having 4 kids and can choose to work 2 to 3 days a week. Having plenty of time to smell the roses and spend more time with your kids and watch them grow up...

You must have migrated to Canada during your twenties or so. Was it your decision to migrate or your parent's ?

I have one son and already cost me a bomb in his extra classes/tuition's in Chinese, English on top of the kindergarten fee. I cannot imagine how much it will cost me should I have more children in Singapore these days. Anyway, wish me luck in Canada.

I considered myself fortunate and blessed, notwithstanding that I am financially much poorer than many of my schoolmates. I earn less, at higher marginal income tax rates in Canada, and have much less financial assets and properties. I am neither jealous nor complaining about it. But I worked very hard from day one till about 2003.

I left Singapore upon graduation from university (did not attend convocation), and arrived in Toronto on a rainy and damp day in Sep 1981, on my own, without knowing a single individual, with two suit cases, my sister's custom-tailored shirts and suits (and she bought me new shoes), $1,500, on a one-way ticket, via the then PANAM.

Expenses for children's enrichment programs do add up, and that is one of the reasons, I chose to work two to three days a week [even such an arrangement may be considered lucky]. For us those programs include: piano lessons, swimming lessons, Ukrainian school on Saturday morning, "Kumon" mathematics, Toronto Symphony Orchestra Children's concerts once a month. We are blessed with four healthy and above average children. We have the most children in our neighbourhood.

We wish you good health, and may God be generous with His Grace and Blessings upon you and your son. Sometimes, luck involves working smart and hard, making friends who may help, and seizing opportunities.

Last edited:

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada best places to live \ retire \ work..etc

Hi Guys,

I just found this very informative and interesting. Check this links out, apparently the top/best places to live and retire in Canada are Victoria, Kingston, Ottawa, Vancouver.

Canmore : the most expensive housing in Canada and second is Vancouver with avearge house price of CAD$770k and CAD$560k respectively.

Best place to work are in Calgary, Edmonton....yes there is where I am heading...yes

What do you think of this set of statistics from moneysense?

Best Places to Live: Retirement

Best Places to Live: Work

Best Places to Live: Most expensive

Best places to live - Lifestyle

Quality medical care

Income tax

Rank City Prov Weather AffordableHousing AccessHealth LowCrime Population growth Walk or bike to work Ammenities

1 Victoria BC 1 147 23 79 26 5 8
2 Kingston ON 24 67 3 51 62 11 20
3 Ottawa ON 48 85 51 35 23 52 3
4 Vancouver BC 19 150 45 111 22 6 4
5 London ON 61 36 18 74 41 82 34
6 Courtenay BC 37 132 20 114 23 17 56
7 Vernon BC 7 141 28 121 3 50 110
8 Cobourg ON 14 120 97 92 21 13 48
9 Joliette QC 65 77 2 25 44 28 115
10 Salmon Arm BC 18 146 16 105 39 29 94

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Canada's best places to live \ retire \ work..etc

Hi Guys,

I just found this very informative and interesting. Check this links out, apparently the top/best places to live and retire in Canada are Victoria, Kingston, Ottawa, Vancouver.

Canmore : the most expensive housing in Canada and second is Vancouver with avearge house price of CAD$770k and CAD$560k respectively.

Best place to work are in Calgary, Edmonton....yes there is where I am heading...yes

What do you think of this set of statistics from moneysense?

Best Places to Live: Retirement

Best Places to Live: Work

Best Places to Live: Most expensive

Best places to live - Lifestyle

Quality medical care

Income tax

Rank City Prov Weather AffordableHousing AccessHealth LowCrime Population growth Walk or bike to work Ammenities

1 Victoria BC 1 147 23 79 26 5 8
2 Kingston ON 24 67 3 51 62 11 20
3 Ottawa ON 48 85 51 35 23 52 3
4 Vancouver BC 19 150 45 111 22 6 4
5 London ON 61 36 18 74 41 82 34
6 Courtenay BC 37 132 20 114 23 17 56
7 Vernon BC 7 141 28 121 3 50 110
8 Cobourg ON 14 120 97 92 21 13 48
9 Joliette QC 65 77 2 25 44 28 115
10 Salmon Arm BC 18 146 16 105 39 29 94

If I were to do it all over again, the following would be where I prefer to reside:
Vancouver, Victoria, London, Ottawa and Kingston.

However, you may wish to consider my opinion (and may not be based on the changes in recent years) that London and Kingston are "whiter" than the other cities and Toronto. In the mid-1980's a partner at the firm where I was working, told me that the people in London may not let me in. My response was: whether or not they let me in, I am working on a file, and I will be there.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Canada's best places to live \ retire \ work..etc

If I were to do it all over again, the following would be where I prefer to reside:
Vancouver, Victoria, London, Ottawa and Kingston.

However, you may wish to consider my opinion (and may not be based on the changes in recent years) that London and Kingston are "whiter" than the other cities and Toronto. In the mid-1980's a partner at the firm where I was working, told me that the people in London may not let me in. My response was: whether or not they let me in, I am working on a file, and I will be there.

Hi, would you mind sharing with us why you prefer Vancouver to Toronto if you can start all over again?

Thanks.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Vancouver

Hi, would you mind sharing with us why you prefer Vancouver to Toronto if you can start all over again?

Thanks.

STRICTLY PERSONAL OPINION AND PREFERENCE

Vancouver has the sea (ocean), sun, mountains (for skiing), temperate weather (except for too much rain during the winter months), beautiful scenery and more trails for hiking and biking (and closer to the Canadian Rockies). It is also closer to the West Coast of USA.

In totality, Vancouver offers a better life style than Toronto, notwithstanding that Toronto offers better opportunities for professionals and entrepreneurs. Vancouver provides the opportunity and environment for a more balanced family lifestyle. I would take the risk to submit that your children, if any, will love it there.

I would suggest that for a middle age, close to retirement, individual, Vancouver would be a better choice than Toronto, Edmonton , Ottawa (too boring, being the capital city, full of civil servants).

Last edited:

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Vancouver

STRICTLY PERSONAL OPINION AND PREFERENCE

Vancouver has the sea (ocean), sun, mountains (for skiing), temperate weather (except for too much rain during the winter months), beautiful scenery and more trails for hiking and biking (and closer to the Canadian Rockies). It is also closer to the West Coast of USA.

In totality, Vancouver offers a better life style than Toronto, notwithstanding that Toronto offers better opportunities for professionals and entrepreneurs. Vancouver provides the opportunity and environment for a more balanced family lifestyle. I would take the risk to submit that your children, if any, will love it there.

I would suggest that for a middle age, close to retirement, individual, Vancouver would be a better choice than Toronto, Edmonton , Ottawa (too boring, being the capital city, full of civil servants).

Thanks for the sharing.

Cheers

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Are You Planning to Reside in Vancouver?

Are you planning to reside in Vancouver?

Actually I like Edmonton. Very nice people there and perhaps a better place for business. Housing is affordable too. But Vancouver offers a much better, all round lifestyle. There are just so many things to do. I'm planning a trip to Toronto in the near future for exploration.

Anyway, why do you think Toronto is a better place for business and professionals compared to Vancouver?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
How Long Have You Lived in Edmonton?

Actually I like Edmonton. Very nice people there and perhaps a better place for business. Housing is affordable too. But Vancouver offers a much better, all round lifestyle. There are just so many things to do. I'm planning a trip to Toronto in the near future for exploration.

Anyway, why do you think Toronto is a better place for business and professionals compared to Vancouver?

How long have you lived in Edmonton? I submit that if you have been there only for several weeks, simply for recce, you may not be able to make that statement, save and except for, "housing is affordable."

I submit that there are "very nice people" in the numerous cities and towns of Canada. In the final analysis, it is all personal preferences, regardless of any individual's opinion.

I believe that Toronto is a better place for business and professionals because it is the "base and concentration" for a majority of the business activities and professional services. It will continue to be in the foreseeable future.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: How Long Have You Lived in Edmonton?

How long have you lived in Edmonton? I submit that if you have been there only for several weeks, simply for recce, you may not be able to make that statement, save and except for, "housing is affordable."

I submit that there are "very nice people" in the numerous cities and towns of Canada. In the final analysis, it is all personal preferences, regardless of any individual's opinion.

I believe that Toronto is a better place for business and professionals because it is the "base and concentration" for a majority of the business activities and professional services. It will continue to be in the foreseeable future.

Actually not long. I had to leave Canada due to work commitments. Plan to return by next year.

But when I was there, I did a lot of ground work. One forumner here was very nice to house me at his place, drove me around, helped me with administrative work and introduced his contacts to me. I met mortgage brokers, business brokers, realtors, went house hunting, etc.

On my "nice people" comment, I find Edmontonians to be more genuine in their "niceness" from my interaction with strangers when I was there. Somehow I don't get the same feeling when I was in Vancouver. Not that people in Vancouver are assholes. I prefer them anytime to Singaporeans. They are just not at the same level of "niceness" as Edmontonians.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Be Careful of Unregulated Professionals

Actually not long. I had to leave Canada due to work commitments. Plan to return by next year.

But when I was there, I did a lot of ground work. One forumner here was very nice to house me at his place, drove me around, helped me with administrative work and introduced his contacts to me. I met mortgage brokers, business brokers, realtors, went house hunting, etc.

On my "nice people" comment, I find Edmontonians to be more genuine in their "niceness" from my interaction with strangers when I was there. Somehow I don't get the same feeling when I was in Vancouver. Not that people in Vancouver are assholes. I prefer them anytime to Singaporeans. They are just not at the same level of "niceness" as Edmontonians.

Delighted to hear about one of the Sammyboy Forummers' goodwill, generosity and assistance in favour of you.

Allow me to suggest that you consider very carefully when you are dealing with unregulated professionals, for example "business brokers" If it is too good to be true, then I would suggest that you go home and sleep on it before you execute any documents and incur any obligations. For example, if a business is that good, why would the present shareholders or proprietor or partners decide to sell it to others? Consider seeking independent legal advice, rather than allow the "biased" business broker (whose sole interest may be to earn a commission based on the closing of the transaction) to be the broker, para legal using some standard purchase and sale agreement.

For example, I have heard of several individuals losing their investments, after they have purchased a donout store, convenience store, cafe/deli, or restaurant. Try to verify their gross revenues, by for example: sitting there during the peak business hours for a week, counting the number of customers, and multiplying it with the average sale per customer. I have told several individuals that sometimes the best deal is not to sign any purchase and sale agreement.

Try not to execute a personal guarantee or indemnity (you are not released even with the corp's bankruptcy) in favour of the landlord. Consider setting up a shell corporation for the sole purpose of entering into a rental or lease agreement for the premises. Try to have the spouse with no or little assets be the director of the corporation (re: director's personal liability for various matters, such unremitted payroll deductions, unremitted sales taxes, unpaid employees' vacation pay, etc.) and provide the personal guarantee to the financial institution re: corporation's indebtedness.

If you or your spouse or your relative(s) lend money or advance funds to the corporation, prepare security agreements for the corp to grant a security interest in the corp's assets and undertaking in favour of you / your spouse / your relatives, contemporaneous with the loans or advances to the corp. Promptly register such security interest (that you / your spouse / relatives will be a secured creditor) in accordance with provincial legislation.

Etc. etc.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Be Careful of Unregulated Professionals

Delighted to hear about one of the Sammyboy Forummers' goodwill, generosity and assistance in favour of you.

Allow me to suggest that you consider very carefully when you are dealing with unregulated professionals, for example "business brokers" If it is too good to be true, then I would suggest that you go home and sleep on it before you execute any documents and incur any obligations. For example, if a business is that good, why would the present shareholders or proprietor or partners decide to sell it to others? Consider seeking independent legal advice, rather than allow the "biased" business broker (whose sole interest may be to earn a commission based on the closing of the transaction) to be the broker, para legal using some standard purchase and sale agreement.

For example, I have heard of several individuals losing their investments, after they have purchased a donout store, convenience store, cafe/deli, or restaurant. Try to verify their gross revenues, by for example: sitting there during the peak business hours for a week, counting the number of customers, and multiplying it with the average sale per customer. I have told several individuals that sometimes the best deal is not to sign any purchase and sale agreement.

Try not to execute a personal guarantee or indemnity (you are not released even with the corp's bankruptcy) in favour of the landlord. Consider setting up a shell corporation for the sole purpose of entering into a rental or lease agreement for the premises. Try to have the spouse with no or little assets be the director of the corporation (re: director's personal liability for various matters, such unremitted payroll deductions, unremitted sales taxes, unpaid employees' vacation pay, etc.) and provide the personal guarantee to the financial institution re: corporation's indebtedness.

If you or your spouse or your relative(s) lend money or advance funds to the corporation, prepare security agreements for the corp to grant a security interest in the corp's assets and undertaking in favour of you / your spouse / your relatives, contemporaneous with the loans or advances to the corp. Promptly register such security interest (that you / your spouse / relatives will be a secured creditor) in accordance with provincial legislation.

Etc. etc.

Wow. Thanks for the long, detailed list. Will definitely bear them in mind. Much Appreciated.

Cheers

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Be Careful of Unregulated Professionals

Etc. etc.

Thanks buddy, another gem of knowledge from you. Regards