• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

USA earthquake 5.6 Damages Increasing

Think_PAP

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=1750923

5.6 magnitude quake shakes Oklahoma, damage keeps increasing
By Evelyn Lin
Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2011-11-06 04:02 PM

Fonts Size A+
Printer-Friendly Printer

A 5.6 magnitude quake on Saturday rocked central Oklahoma after a day of smaller quakes, leaving cracked buildings and a buckled highway but no major damage, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. The temblor was so strong it rattled a college football stadium 50 miles away and could be felt in Tennessee.

The quake, centered about 44 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, may be the strongest in state history if the reading is confirmed by the U.S. Geological Survey after it initially reported a 5.2 magnitude event. The quake shook a packed college football stadium as fans departed just minutes after third-ranked Oklahoma State had beaten No. 17 Kansas State.

An emergency manager in Lincoln County near the epicenter said U.S. 62, a highway in the region, had crumbled in places when the strongest quake of the day struck at 10:53 p.m. Saturday. Other reports in the early hours Sunday were sketchy and mentioned cracks in some buildings and a chimney toppled.

The USGS said the Saturday night quake struck near the community of Sparks — in eastern Oklahoma between Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

The temblor shook the stadium at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater where a crowd of 58,895 had gathered to watch the major college match. Oklahoma State's players were gathered in the locker room under the Boone Pickens Stadium stands just minutes after a 52-45 victory when the ground began to shake beneath their feet.

"Everybody was looking around and no one had any idea," Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden said. "We thought the people above us were doing something. I've never felt one, so that was a first."

"That shook up the place, had a lot of people nervous," Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon said. "Yeah, it was pretty strong."

A magnitude 4.7 earthquake that struck the area early Saturday rattled homes and businesses, but emergency officials said no injuries were reported and that there had been no immediate reports of major damages.

The Saturday night quake could prove the most powerful on state record if the 5.6 reading reported by the U.S. Geological Survey stands. The seismic monitoring agency said the quake was centered about 44 miles (71 kilometers) east-northeast of Oklahoma City. It had initially reported the temblor as a 5.2 magnitude quake.

The late-night quake was slightly less in intensity than a temblor that rattled the East Coast on Aug. 23. That 5.8 magnitude earthquake was centered in Virginia and was felt from Georgia to Canada. No major damage was reported, although cracks were reported at the Washington Monument, the National Cathedral suffered damage to stonework, and a number of federal buildings were evacuated.

Think_PAP

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/06/earthquakes-oklahoma-biggest-ever?newsfeed=true

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/11/6/1320563666261/Oklahoma-has-been-shaken--007.jpg[img]

[B][SIZE=5]Oklahoma rattled by 5.6 earthquake[/SIZE][/B]

Homes damaged and roads buckled by series of shocks including the biggest on record in US state

Tweet this
reddit this

Reuters
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 6 November 2011 07.20 GMT

Oklahoma has been shaken by a series of earthquakes
Oklahoma has been shaken by a series of earthquakes, culminating in a 5.6 magnitude quake that is the state's biggest on record. Photograph: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty

Earthquakes of up to 5.6 magnitude have shaken Oklahoma, damaging buildings and roads and sending a handful of people to hospital.

The first quake was recorded on Saturday morning at a magnitude of 4.7. The second came on Saturday night and is the largest ever recorded in Oklahoma, topping a tremor of 5.5 magnitude in 1952, according to the US Geological Survey.

In Prague, Oklahoma, where the first quake was centred, city manager Jim Greff said part of the town library's ceiling collapsed and a chimney fell through the roof of a home. There were no serious injuries.

The quake buckled highway 62 in three places west of Prague and sent a boulder "about the size of an SUV" tumbling onto a rural road in south-east Lincoln County, said Aaron Bennett, dispatch supervisor for the county's emergency management division.

The quake was felt more than 300 miles away in Kansas City, where it rattled windows and shook houses for half a minute, a Reuters witness said.

The second quake was a shallow 3.1 miles (5 km) deep and centered four miles east of Sparks, which is east of Oklahoma City.

JL Gilbert, owner of the Sparks Vineyard and Winery, about four miles from the epicentre of the second quake, said it lasted "a good 30 seconds".

"It was a pretty good jolt. We're not used to this. We're used to being sucked up into the wind," he said, referring to Oklahoma's reputation as a tornado alley.

Earthquakes of a 4.0 magnitude east of the Rocky Mountains can typically be felt from up to 60 miles away, according to the USGS. A 5.5 magnitude quake can be felt up to 300 miles from its epicentre.

One of Gilbert's employees went to the hospital after tripping and hitting his head on a doorway while scrambling to get out of his home, Gilbert said.

Think_PAP

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=142067070

5.6 Magnitude Quake Rocks Okla. On Day Of Quakes

by The Associated Press
text size A A A
SPARKS, Okla. November 6, 2011, 02:37 am ET

SPARKS, Okla. (AP) — A 5.6 magnitude quake rocked central Oklahoma late Saturday after a day of smaller quakes, leaving cracked buildings and a buckled highway but no initial reports of major damage. The temblor was so strong it rattled a packed college football stadium 50 miles away and could be felt in Tennessee.

The quake, centered about 44 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, may be the strongest in state history if the reading is confirmed by the U.S. Geological Survey after the agency initially reported a 5.2 magnitude event. Emergency authorities said they had no immediate reports of injuries or major damages.

But the quake shook a major college stadium as fans departed just minutes after third-ranked Oklahoma State had beaten No. 17 Kansas State.

"That shook up the place, had a lot of people nervous," Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon said. "Yeah, it was pretty strong."

An emergency manager in Lincoln County near the epicenter said U.S. 62, a highway in the region, had crumbled in places when the strongest quake of the day struck at 10:53 p.m. Saturday. Other reports in the early hours Sunday were sketchy and mentioned cracks in some buildings and a chimney toppled.

The USGS said the Saturday night quake struck near the community of Sparks — in eastern Oklahoma between Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

The temblor shook the stadium at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater where a crowd of 58,895 had gathered to watch a down-to-the-wire major college match. Oklahoma State's players were gathered in the locker room under the Boone Pickens Stadium stands just minutes after their victory when the ground began to shake. It lasted the better part of a minute, rippling upward to the stadium press box as the stands were clearing out of fans.

"Everybody was looking around and no one had any idea," Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden said. "We thought the people above us were doing something. I've never felt one, so that was a first."

A magnitude 4.7 earthquake that struck the area early Saturday rattled homes and businesses, but emergency officials said no injuries were reported and that there had been no immediate reports of major damages.

"Nothing is destroyed or anything like that," Prague City Police Department dispatcher Claudie Morton told the Tulsa World after a series of quakes Saturday morning.

But authorities said they would need to await daybreak for better light to assess any damages from the later, more powerful quake.

The late-night quake was slightly less in intensity than a temblor that rattled the East Coast on Aug. 23. That 5.8 magnitude earthquake was centered in Virginia and was felt from Georgia to Canada. No major damage was reported, although cracks appeared in the Washington Monument, the National Cathedral suffered costly damage to sculpted stonework, and a number of federal buildings were evacuated.

The Saturday night quake was felt as far away as Tennessee and Wisconsin, according to reports received by the USGS.

USGS records show that a 5.5 magnitude earthquake struck El Reno, just west of Oklahoma City, in 1952 and, before Oklahoma became a state in 1907, a quake of similar magnitude 5.5 struck in northeastern Indian Territory in 1882.

In Moore, Todd McKinsey told The Oklahoman newspaper of Oklahoma City that his home suffered minor damage from the day's shaking.

"There's a crack going from the closet to the ceiling. I've never seen that before. I was in my bedroom grabbing my phone and I happened to notice it," McKinsey said.

Saturday's earlier temblor, which hit at 2:12 a.m., woke people and pets as it shook an area that stretched from Texas to Missouri. Its epicenter was 6 miles north of Prague in Lincoln County, in the rolling hills about 50 miles east of Oklahoma City.

A 3.4 magnitude aftershock was reported at 2:27 a.m. from the same location, as well as a 2.7 magnitude aftershock at 2:44 a.m.

"Oh, man. I've never felt anything like that in my life," Morton said to the Tulsa newspaper. "It was the scariest thing. I had a police officer just come in and sit down and all the sudden the walls started shaking and the windows were rattling. It felt like the roof was going to come off the police department."

Morton said the office was flooded with calls, but no one reported injuries or major damage. She said residents told her that picture frames and mirrors fell from walls and broke, drawers worked loose from dressers and objects tumbled out of cabinets.

"We do have several damaged buildings downtown, but it's just cracks and things like that," Morton said.

Oklahoma Geological Survey researcher Austin Holland told Oklahoma City television station KOTV that the earthquake and aftershocks occurred on a known fault line.

Residents in Prague and Sparks felt an intense shaking, while farther away, the quake was more of a dull rumble, he said.

"It shakes much more rapidly when you're closer to it," he said. "Because it's a large earthquake, it's going to rumble for a while."

Holland said his office received hundreds of emails from people who felt the quake. The messages came from as far as Texas, Missouri and Arkansas, he said.

Tom Foster of Oklahoma City told The Oklahoman that he slept through the earthquake but was awakened by an aftershock.

"I know we've already had several phone calls from out of state relatives wondering what happened," Foster said. "I guess it's more interesting than anything that was dangerous."

Heather Spicer of Sapulpa said the shaking woke her son and their dog. "At first I thought an airplane had crashed nearby," she told The Oklahoman. "But now I believe it was an earthquake because the whole house just kept vibrating with what sounded like distant thunder."

In Muskogee, retired advertising and public relations executive Robert Rhea said he felt his home rocking for about 15 to 20 seconds with the last quake Saturday night.

"Oh man, it just about shook this old man out of his TV chair," said Rhea, 70, speaking with The Associated Press by phone. He said nothing broke in his homes but he was rattled by all the shaking during the day.

Avenger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing about this on CNN .. Fox news.. they like to talk rubbish about Iran/Syria full time..on TV

TheFootballer

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are alike SPH & Mediacorpse!

Fox news is very Anti-Obama and democrats.. If you watch carefully.. they dun do interview for democrats but alot for republicans.. I watched abit of fox in singapore and I think its the same version as us...
CNN is doing alot of propoganda against Syria.. whole day showing syrians being tortured....

if sinkiemedia is 0.01% like fox and cnbc... alot will get hanged... Obama dun dare to touch murdoch and his dogs.

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was a 5.2 magnitude earlier today in West Java which is closer to us than Oklahoma. In fact the Indonesian quakes are more frequent and of a larger scale.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no shit. when a 5.0 happens in the sf bay area, residents pause, shrug it off and continue with life. 3.0 earthquakes happen weekly, 4.0 monthly and 5.0 a couple of times per year. nothing spectacular. but when a 5.0 happens in new york or the heartland like texas, oklahoma or kansas, every moron starts talking as though the world is coming to an end. start a thread when there is a 6.9.

Think_PAP

Alfrescian
Loyal
no shit. when a 5.0 happens in the sf bay area, residents pause, shrug it off and continue with life. 3.0 earthquakes happen weekly, 4.0 monthly and 5.0 a couple of times per year. nothing spectacular. but when a 5.0 happens in new york or the heartland like texas, oklahoma or kansas, every moron starts talking as though the world is coming to an end. start a thread when there is a 6.9.

This one can not be the same as those you said.

This one broke the roads and damaged many buildings already. Not like those undisrupted routines.

I had been through some 7.0 7.2 quakes myself in US & Japan. Generally business were disrupted as products fell off the shelves in the shops. Truck hit my customer's office as driver lost control. Lighting of my hotel fell from ceiling. Cellphone service blacked out for hours.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This one can not be the same as those you said.

This one broke the roads and damaged many buildings already. Not like those undisrupted routines.

I had been through some 7.0 7.2 quakes myself in US & Japan. Generally business were disrupted as products fell off the shelves in the shops. Truck hit my customer's office as driver lost control. Lighting of my hotel fell from ceiling. Cellphone service blacked out for hours.

don't be a moron. this one happened in oklahoma where earthquakes seldom or never occur, and oklahomans were not prepared for it. building codes in california are far more stringent than oklahoma because we in california experience earthquakes every week, unlike oklahoma which hasn't recorded one over 5 for centuries or ever. obviously, when a state is never prepared for earthquakes, roads will crack and buildings will collapse. no big deal here in california unless it is 6.9 or over. can't say the same thing for sinkapore.