• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

US Navy chief wants Indian Ocean '1st Fleet,' possibly in Singapore

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/In...=4&pub_date=20201119090000&seq_num=2&si=44594

United_States_First_Fleet_insignia_1970.png

US Navy chief wants Indian Ocean '1st Fleet,' possibly in Singapore
Secretary Braithwaite says 7th Fleet in Japan not enough to check China

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F0%2F2%2F7%2F9%2F30729720-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-1605726497singapore.jpg

Littoral combat ship USS Coronado moors in Changi, Singapore, in preparation for the International Maritime Defense Exhibition. (Photo courtesy of the U.S. Navy)
KEN MORIYASU, Nikkei Asia chief desk editorNovember 19, 2020 04:17 JST

NEW YORK -- The U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet, based in Yokosuka, Japan, covers an area stretching from Hawaii to the India-Pakistan border, encompassing the maritime territories of 36 countries and 50% of the world's population.

It is the largest of the Navy's forward deployed fleets, that has under its jurisdiction at any given time 50 to 70 ships and submarines, 150 aircraft and approximately 20,000 sailors.

But if the U.S. is truly willing to have a Indo-Pacific presence, it needs a new "1st Fleet" in the Pacific based closer to the Indian Ocean, possibly in Singapore, Navy Secretary Kenneth Braithwaite said Tuesday.

"We want to stand up a new numbered fleet. And we want to put that numbered fleet in the crossroads between the Indian and the Pacific oceans," Braithwaite told a virtual audience attending a Naval Submarine League conference. "And we're really going to have an Indo-PACOM footprint."

"We can't just rely on the 7th Fleet in Japan. We have to look to our other allies and partners like Singapore, like India, and actually put a numbered fleet where it would be extremely relevant if, God forbid, we were to ever to get in any kind of a dust-up," he said in comments carried by USNI News, the publication run by the United States Naval Institute.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F2%2F0%2F0%2F0%2F30730002-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-1605729456mt%20fuji.jpg

Guided-missile destroyer USS Barry transits past Mt. Fuji as it arrives at Fleet Activities Yokosuka in Japan, home to the U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet. (Photo courtesy of the U.S. Navy)

"More importantly, it can provide a much more formidable deterrence. So we're going to create the 1st Fleet, and we're going to put it, if not Singapore right out of the chocks, we're going to look to make it more expeditionary-oriented and move it across the Pacific until it is where our allies and partners see that it could best assist them as well as to assist us."

The 1st Fleet was a Navy unit that existed from 1947 to 1973 to cover the Western Pacific Ocean as part of the Pacific Fleet. It's duties were assumed by the San Diego, California-based 3rd Fleet in 1973.

While Braithwaite's proposed new fleet would have different objectives from the original 1st Fleet, he sees it fitting to revive the name.

The Navy's existing numbered fleets are the 3rd Fleet which covers the Eastern Pacific, the 4th Fleet covering Central and South America, the 5th Fleet in the Middle East, the 6th Fleet for Europe, the 7th Fleet spanning the Western Pacific and the 10th Fleet handling cyber.

Braithwaite said he has not discussed the plan with Christopher Miller, the new acting defense secretary, but had otherwise "crossed all the other t's and dotted all the other i's."

USNI quoted a defense official saying that Braithwaite had come up with the idea to stand up 1st Fleet several months ago and had been in talks with former Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who was onboard with the proposal.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F1%2F7%2F7%2F9%2F30729771-4-eng-GB%2FCropped-1605726989-N-ZR324-1253.jfif

An MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter flies over ships from the Indian navy, the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, the Royal Australian navy and the U.S. Navy as they sail in formation on Nov. 17 in the Arabian Sea as part of Exercise Malabar 2020. (Photo courtesy of the U.S. Navy)

Braithwaite, who became the navy secretary in May after serving as ambassador to Norway, said he saw firsthand China's aggressiveness around the globe and cited it as a reason for needing the new fleet. "Chinese presence in the Arctic is unprecedented. Most recently I was in a trip to the Far East: every single one of our allies and partners are concerned about how aggressive the Chinese have been. I would argue with anybody that not since the War of 1812 has the United States and our sovereignty been under the kind of pressures that we see today," he said.

The proposal comes as the U.S. deepens its engagement in the Indo-Pacific region. On Tuesday, the U.S. joined India, Japan and Australia began phase two of Malabar 2020, a four-day maritime joint exercise in the Northern Arabian Sea. Earlier in the month, the four countries, also known as the Quad, held phase one drills in the Bay of Bengal.

If discussions for a new numbered fleet were to advance, it would be one of the last major defense policies implemented by the Trump administration.

Michele Flournoy, former under secretary of defense for policy in the Obama administration and the presumptive defense secretary in a Joe Biden administration, said in an interview with Defense News earlier this month that the U.S. military needs to use existing capabilities in "new ways" to deter a rising China.

"If we simply execute the program of record as is, over the next decade ... our military technological edge is going to erode," she said. "Our confidence in our ability to deter a rising China, that is making substantial technological developments and trying to be able to thwart our ability to project power and defend our interests and allies in the region, if we do nothing differently, then ... our ability to deter will erode."

"In the near term I think we have to think about using what we have in hand in new ways," she said.

"How do I combine things in different ways that enable me to operate more effectively and better exploit ... vulnerabilities on the other side or magnify my own strengths in some way?"

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everywhere there are US bases, the economy grew exponentially, except philippines. Or rather, philippines decided they did not need the economic stimulus of a US base.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN until today my uncle don't quite understand the purpose of having military fleets of ships tanks etc KNN bay song nuke liao still talk so much KNN also for cuntry like sg without nuke capabilities the tank is meant to be doing its job in native land or ship out to enemy land to shoot? KNN

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN until today my uncle don't quite understand the purpose of having military fleets of ships tanks etc KNN bay song nuke liao still talk so much KNN also for cuntry like sg without nuke capabilities the tank is meant to be doing its job in native land or ship out to enemy land to shoot? KNN
Even we assume eg sg war with msia KNN the only useful weapon is only planes to fly there to drop bomb KNN does it even need to involve tanks ships etc ? :rolleyes: a few poops of bomb already can collapse the whole cuntry economy KNN

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even we assume eg sg war with msia KNN the only useful weapon is only planes to fly there to drop bomb KNN does it even need to involve tanks ships etc ? :rolleyes: a few poops of bomb already can collapse the whole cuntry economy KNN
If you don't believe my uncle just leefer to 2019 sg msia maritime dispute KNN very sart ki parked there for show final leesult you see ? KNN Thats why my uncle say having pcg to guard the border is more than suffice also that's the leeson my uncle only wanted to join spf KNN

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
We should get our base ready to be used by American.
Then tell China we side no one.
If China wants to park their fighter plane in Singapore, we welcome China
we can reclaim another island just for China's military use.