• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Unpaid school fees – What are the teachable moments?

EunoiaJAYCEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here are my thoughts on the issue of the student not getting the original PSLE results over unpaid fees, which has gone viral online and MOE has officially responded.

The incident reminded me of a case I took on whilst helping at a Meet-People-Session in Aljunied GRC a few years back.

It was almost 9.30 pm then, which was the closing time for residents to register to meet the MP over issues. I had just completed a case and I was about to leave as there were no further cases requiring a case writer. Then, a young lady suddenly rushed to the counter and registered. I popped over to check and decided to take her case. It turned out that she was a 2nd year diploma student at a government supported non-profit college. She had unpaid fees and was told by the college that unless she paid up, she would not get her official results and she needed the results to register for her courses for the third and final year. She was very distressed because the last date to register for her courses was like that next day or very soon after that. She was sobbing as she told her story. She is the eldest with only her uneducated mum working part time to support the family. The family was constantly in debt, borrowing from relatives. Her previous year fees had been paid by an aunt who was not able to give her another loan so soon. She worked part time but that was only enough for her own living expenses and not for her fees. She believed she would be kicked out of college because of her unpaid fees. She did not even know what her 2nd year results were because the school’s policy was that they could not release the results without payment of fees.

I happened to have a friend working in the school. I called him. He was kind enough to set up a rushed meeting the next morning with the finance manager. I called the young lady to come along. The school did not know of her financial situation. The finance manager was very kind and revealed that she had passed and may register for the third year courses and asked her to apply for a bursary. The school also gave her time to pay up for the previous fees, which she eventually borrowed from her relatives. She got a bursary for her final year of studies. As she had the relevant skills, I engaged her on a part-time basis for my art company that year as well.

She graduated, found a job in a MNC as a web designer and I last heard she was still working there. Hers is a happy story that could have turned out badly. I asked why she did not try to apply for any financial assistance before then. She said she was not aware (even though the school had schemes and were indeed kind and fast to act when her situation surfaced). It is hard to blame her as she was not yet an adult then and the family was already facing so much problems. Relatives were afraid of them requesting for more financial assistance. She only came to the MPS because she shared her problems at a church meeting and her friend suggested going to meet her MP, which she promptly did so because the MPS happened to take place that evening.

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/12/unpaid-school-fees-what-are-teachable.html

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Shittypore when dealing with Govt dept it's all abt dollars and cents, that the subject shld be taught to all school kids.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back in the day many of our older generation folks dropped out of school because they couldn't afford school fees.

Perhaps the new generation might want to do this again. :wink:

Anyway, graduating doesn't mean you'll get a good job, or even a job at all. You'll be incurring a hefty student loan debt, and learning mostly useless stuff that you won't ever touch again in future. :cool:

jw5

Loyal
"What's wrong with collecting more money?"

This is the teachable moment. Interpret it as you wish. :wink:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Ask and you shall receive.

Problem is so many fail to "ask"

And when I say "ask" I refer to a broader action of doing research going around asking people for advice, information, checking websites and forums, etc.

Ask.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some colleges and schools are willing to help. they have assistance programs and financial aid in place to help students in need. there are also private charities and clan associations (except hokkiens) that provide bursaries and scholarships to those with good behavioral records in school, not just scores. all these students from poor families have to do is seek and tap from these resources. don’t just stay quiet like a mouse and pretend cheese will always be given. the moe policy is to counter those recalcitrant and mindfully procrastinating students and parents bent on milking the system, not those who are genuinely in need.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Education and health should be free. Like in germany and nordic countries.

Somebody pays for it. Just because it is not direct pay from your pocket doesn't mean you don't pay for it.

Paying into a collective pool and then having the authority dispense the resources based on good information is a noble way to go.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Education and health should be free. Like in germany and nordic countries.
Thanks to 230, college is free in the Philippines. Soon their hungry college armed degree holders will flood the job market with their free degrees while sinkies expensive world class degree and diploma are worthless as they are relegated to menial work in the gig industry. :laugh:

Insider Player

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back in the day many of our older generation folks dropped out of school because they couldn't afford school fees.

Perhaps the new generation might want to do this again. :wink:

Anyway, graduating doesn't mean you'll get a good job, or even a job at all. You'll be incurring a hefty student loan debt, and learning mostly useless stuff that you won't ever touch again in future. :cool:
Nowadays everything in Sg going retro mostly for the worst
No money no talk Govt what you expect?
They tell you education is subsidised already....their Creative term market subsidy.
Kpkb somemore then remove those subsidies then you know. Finance more scholarships for foreigners better than give money to ungrateful sinkies

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
I smell a rat in the story. The recent PSLE slip was the student still was able to get a photo copy of the results and he/she can still apply for the next grade. No one stio him/her from advancing.

However, above story is completely different. There is no alternatives but to seek help as there are no recourse.

What a dumb ass story to compare the two scenarios.

IQ and Race

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks to 230, college is free in the Philippines. Soon their hungry college armed degree holders will flood the job market with their free degrees while sinkies expensive world class degree and diploma are worthless as they are relegated to menial work in the gig industry. :laugh:
Education is a investment the community makes to produce productive workers.
In germany, their education system is based on apprenticeship. You work and study concurrently. Industries and businesses participate with local colleges. So student gets employed upon graduating.

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
CB, you didn't pay for grocery you can leave NTUC with the grocery meh? Ask NTUC to apply Grants for you lor.

EunoiaJAYCEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask and you shall receive.

Problem is so many fail to "ask"

And when I say "ask" I refer to a broader action of doing research going around asking people for advice, information, checking websites and forums, etc.

Ask.
ask, but you might not receive. :P

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
ask, but you might not receive. :P

Yes. Sinkies have been somehow drilled to believe that ask and you will NOT receive.

I was thought this by the Aussie recruiter when I was looking to work in Oz. She kept saying we can always ask for it. They might say yes. And if they say no we are not any worse off at all.

The sinkie mentality is that of pride. As if someone saying no to you is such a mortal injury!

Try , ask, give it a shot, gamble, take a risk. These are all systematically taken out of the sinkie by the school system.