• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UK Former Home Secretary claims 'the Islamists are in charge' of Britain

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...raverman-claims-Islamists-charge-Britain.html

Suella Braverman waded into the row over Wednesday's Gaza vote in the Commons today, claiming that 'the Islamists, the extremists and the anti-Semites are in charge now'.

The former home secretary, a frontrunner to be the next Conservative leader, made the incendiary remarks as the party switched its anger from Speaker Lindsay Hoyle to focus on Keir Starmer's role in the political chaos.

Sir Lindsay has twice apologised for ripping up the Commons rule book, a move which helped the Labour leader avoid a a damaging revolt over the fighting in the Middle East.

The Speaker argued that he was motivated by anxiety about the safety of MPs from pro-Palestinian protesters, rather than partisan concerns. Extremist sympathisers projected the phrase 'from the river to the sea' - seen as anti-Semitic - onto the Elizabeth Tower during the debate as thousands of protesters gathered outside Parliament.

But writing in the Telegraph this morning Ms Braverman said: 'I may have been sacked because I spoke out against the appeasement of Islamists, but I would do it again because we need to wake up to what we are sleep-walking into: a ghettoised society where free expression and British values are diluted. Where sharia law, the Islamist mob and anti-Semites take over communities.

Writing in the Telegraph this morning Ms Braverman said: 'We need to wake up to what we are sleep-walking into: a ghettoised society where free expression and British values are diluted'

Writing in the Telegraph this morning Ms Braverman said: 'We need to wake up to what we are sleep-walking into: a ghettoised society where free expression and British values are diluted'
Linsday Hoyle

Keir Starmer

The former home secretary, a frontrunner to be the next Conservative leader , made the incendiary remarks as the party switched its anger from Speaker Lindsay Hoyle to focus on Keir Starmer 's role in the political chaos.
81616967-13116881-image-m-12_1708675926374.jpg

The Speaker argued that he was motivated by anxiety about the safety of MPs from pro-Palestinian protesters, rather than partisan concerns. Extremist sympathisers projected the phrase 'from the river to the sea' - seen as anti-Semitic - onto the Elizabeth Tower during the debate as thousands of protesters gathered outside Parliament.

TRENDING

More left-wing attacks on Rishi Sunak amid Lee Anderson suspension row

6k viewing now

Starmer's united front with Angela Rayner amid council house sale row

7.3k viewing now

Disturbing plot to create 55 Honourable Members for Palestine

1.8k viewing now

'We need to overcome the fear of being labelled Islamophobic and speak truthfully.'

However, Ms Braverman faced criticism over her time in the Home Office from Lord Mann, the government's independent adviser on anti-Semitism. He tweeted: 'As Home Secretary, Stella Braverman ignored the advice I provided on how to tackle anti-Semitism and issues for her department. In fact she never even bothered to read them. Her inaction in office is a part of the problem.'

And her successor James Cleverly said he did not 'always agree with everything' she said.

The Home Secretary told LBC: 'She's clearly expressing frustrations that she's felt whilst she was in this role.

'And I understand that. And she and I remain close friends - that doesn't mean to say I always agree with everything she's saying.

'But it is absolutely the case that we must make sure that we crack down on extremist behaviour, it's absolutely the case that we must not let our democracy be distorted through fear or intimidation.'

Asked about her comment that 'turning a blind eye to fanatics has got us into this terrible situation', Mr Cleverly said: 'I'm not sure who she's referring to when she's talking about turning a blind eye, because I certainly haven't turned a blind eye since I've been the Home Secretary.'

Some Conservatives have been reluctant to blame the Speaker for Wednesday's events, instead pointing the finger at Sir Keir.

There were claims he personally lobbied the Speaker, telling him he would have 'blood on his hands' if a Labour amendment was not selected - something the party leader 'categorically' denies.

Ms Braverman said the Labour leader had 'bowed to the mob' and made a 'grubby backroom deal'.

She said: 'The mask has slipped: in hock to the Islamists, he is responsible for one of the most shameful days of our democracy.

'By effectively taking the Speaker hostage, he brought Parliament into disrepute. This is the behaviour of tyrants. Just imagine what Starmer would do as Prime Minister.'

Last night Rishi Sunak accused Sir Lindsay of pandering to 'extremists' by 'bending' Parliamentary rules.

Almost 70 MPs have signed a motion called for the Speaker to quit in the wake of the controversy, though the number appeared to have plateaued, with no new additions overnight.

And today Ms Braverman's successor as Home secretary, James Claverley, came out in support of him.

The senior Cabinet minister told Sky News: 'I think the Speaker has done a fantastic job. I think he's been a breath of fresh air compared with his predecessor (John Bercow).

'He made a mistake. He's apologised for the mistake.

'My view is that I'm supportive of him.'

Mr Cleverly said it was his personal view because the selection of the Speaker is 'House business' rather than for Government ministers to decide.

Sir Keir claimed he 'simply urged' the Speaker to have 'the broadest possible debate' by allowing Labour's Gaza motion to be heard alongside those from the Government and SNP.

He said: 'I can categorically tell you that I did not threaten the Speaker in any way whatsoever.' But Whitehall sources told the Mail that Sir Keir had 'gatecrashed' a meeting between the Speaker and the Labour chief whip just minutes before Wednesday's debate in an apparent attempt to 'bounce' him into agreeing to a vote which would avoid exposing Labour splits over Gaza. Commons leader Penny Mordaunt condemned Sir Keir for 'bullying' a 'decent man' into a misguided decision.

'We have seen into the heart of Labour's leadership,' she said. 'Nothing is more important than the interests of the Labour Party. The Labour Party before principle, the Labour Party before individual rights, the Labour Party before the reputation and honour of the decent man that sits in Speaker's chair. The Labour Party before fairness, integrity and democracy.'