• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious UFC Gyms In Singapore Suddenly Uplorry! Where Can Sinkies Learn MMA Now?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yuUFCGYMcollage1005_1.jpg

SINGAPORE - Singapore Polytechnic student Nguyen Tuan Hung’s gym membership was due to expire last October, but his boxing gym persuaded him to renew it by dangling discounts and other perks.

Seven months later, UFC Gym shut down both its branches in Singapore.

Mr Hung, 20, signed up for a one-year contract worth $1,300 at the gym’s City Square branch, but after it closed less than a month later, his account was transferred to UFC Gym’s CityLink outlet.

He said: “When my contract was about to expire in October 2022, the gym employees were pushing me to renew my membership.” He added that he was offered a discount if he paid upfront for the whole year.

“About two weeks later, I found out the City Square branch went bankrupt,” he said.

In February, its CityLink outlet said it was suspending operations. The gym, in an e-mail to members, said facilities would be upgraded over the coming months, and it was closing for renovations.

The e-mail added that all memberships would be placed on hold during this period but return to normal once the gym reopened, but did not say when.

There was no notice given to members about the CityLink outlet’s closure, said Mr Hung.

UFC Gym is the fitness franchise of US-based Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the most popular mixed martial arts programme in the world. It offers in its gyms training programmes inspired by the training regimen of UFC fighters.

It was only when members noticed that it had been turned into an Anytime Fitness outlet that many of them became concerned about getting a refund of their membership fees.

The gym’s website is now inaccessible, but its social media pages are still up and running.

Mr Hung said: “Many other members and I would like to get back the remainder of our money, but we know it is almost impossible.”

Several other UFC Gym members have lodged police reports and complaints with consumer watchdog Consumers Association of Singapore (Case).

Some gym users said they had bought membership packages ranging from $1,200 to $3,800 in 2022 and signed up for personal training sessions.

Mr Tung Ka Wai paid $1,296 in February for 12 personal training sessions after signing up during a year-end promotion. He said he attended only three of his 12 sessions before the gym closed.

He said: “The last I heard from the gym was the e-mail about the renovation.”

He added that the last person he was in contact with was gym owner Barnabas Huang, who is the founder of parent company NutriFirst. He is also the founder of Huangs Jewelry.

Mr Tung said he filed a claim on the Community Justice and Tribunals System portal, after which NutriFirst responded.

The portal can be used to file claims with the Small Claims Tribunal, among others. The Small Claims Tribunal usually handles disputes involving claims under $20,000.

Mr Tung said: “NutriFirst has declined to refund me the remaining amount and opted to exchange what they owe me for UFC merchandise instead. I refused.”

Attempts to contact Mr Huang for comment have been unsuccessful, and he has also set limits on who can comment on his personal Instagram page.

Case president Melvin Yong said there were two complaints against UFC Gym involving its sudden closure, lodged between Feb 1 and May 9.

He said: “Consumers reported that UFC Gym’s premises at CityLink were closed due to renovations.”

He added that consumers later realised that the gym’s website was down and its CityLink premises vacated.

Mr Yong, who is also Radin Mas MP, said consumers have been advised to lodge their claims at the Small Claims Tribunal as UFC Gym is no longer operating.

He said: “While consumers may enjoy savings per use over time for longer-term memberships, Case advises consumers to consider shorter-term memberships or pay-per-use options as it is generally challenging for consumers to recover their monies for pre-paid memberships in the event of sudden business closure.”

In response to queries, UFC Gym chief executive Adam Sedlack, who is based in California in the United States, said the Covid-19 pandemic was a key reason for the closure of the gym in Singapore.

He added that there is no direct ownership of the two Singapore outlets by UFC or UFC Gym.

The US chain, in 2018, announced a partnership with local brand NF Fitness to open 15 franchise locations in Singapore over the next 10 years. It is unclear if NF Fitness and NutriFirst are owned by the same people.

“The prior franchisee will be attending a small claims tribunal (hearing) to hopefully come to a good conclusion,” Mr Sedlack said.

He added UFC is “actively in discussions” to bring a new partner into the market.

He said: “As our new partner enters the market, it will be important for us that past members are given additional concessions to participate with the brand.

“Once our new partner is identified, I can also share with you who they are and the plan to give consideration to past members.”

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...er-sudden-closure-leaves-members-in-the-lurch

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rental prices too high now. Better to learn martial art on gazetted land like clan associations or temples

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh... no wonder the one at CityLink was closed when I passed it. Usually I would see people inside grappling and punching. :biggrin:

I still remember once upon a time, that place was a HMV music store. Let's see what will be the next business to occupy that spot. :wink:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Honestly Muay Thai and kickboxing can be practiced under minimum conditions. Just a ring under void deck or under flyover. No need air con no need fancy address. You just need a sparring partner or sandbag and a sweat. Throw in mobile toilets and you can have a good workout. Fuck those high rentals and stupid membership dues.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Police report lodged after sudden closure of UFC Gym Singapore
UFC Gym Singapore's managing director Barnabas Huang declined to comment when contacted by CNA.

Police report lodged after sudden closure of UFC Gym Singapore
UFC Gym's premises at CityLink Mall have been taken over by Anytime Fitness. (Photo: CNA)
Koh Wan Ting
SINGAPORE: In February, UFC Gym Singapore told its members it would be temporarily closing its sole remaining premises for renovation.

But its members got a rude shock when they recently found that another tenant, Anytime Fitness, had taken over the CityLink Mall space, with the fate of their memberships left hanging in the balance.

Advertisement
UFC Gym Singapore is a franchise of Ultimate Fighting Championship, the world's biggest mixed martial arts promotion.

It opened its first outlet here at CityLink Mall in March 2019, offering mixed martial arts classes and personal training. It later opened another outlet at City Square Mall.

The City Square outlet closed in 2022 due to "challenging market conditions" and losses from the COVID-19 pandemic, the gym said on its social media pages on Nov 10.

UFC Gym Singapore said it could not refund unused portions of memberships or personal training services in cash, and would transfer memberships to the CityLink outlet instead.

One of its gym members, who wanted to be known as Ms Zhang, said she is owed S$850 (US$640), following the closures.

Advertisement
"I've been owed unfinished personal trainer package and gym membership, they didn't answer to these unpaid services at all," the barista, who is in her early 30s, said.

Instead, WhatsApp texts and emails to the gym have gone unanswered, she said, showing screenshots.

She told CNA that she could not go to the CityLink outlet as it was out of the way for her.

The CityLink outlet also failed to refund her, claiming that it ran under a different owner, Ms Zhang said.

Another member of the City Square outlet, who wanted to be known as Kevin, 31, said he had around S$500 of his membership left when the gym closed its doors.

Advertisement
"After a lot of back-and-forth arguments, they made an 'exception' to transfer my membership. No one (wanted) to buy it despite a 50 per cent discount, so I gave it to a friend for free, but even so, she couldn't use it as the gym started 'exciting renovations'," Kevin, who is in sales and marketing, told CNA.

Unhealthy routines, revenge travel: Why gyms have yet to bounce back from pandemic lows
SUDDEN CLOSURE AFTER RENOVATION ANNOUNCEMENT
The CityLink renovation was announced to members in a Feb 28 email, which stated: "We would like to advise you that we will be upgrading our gym over the coming months to offer you the best in training options and facilities."

It added that the gym would be closed during the upgrades, with memberships placed on hold but would return to normal upon reopening.

The announcement contained the email address of the gym's managing director Barnabas Huang.

However, UFC Gym Singapore's premises at CityLink have since been taken over by gym operator Anytime Fitness.

Advertisement
When CNA visited, it observed Anytime Fitness' advertisements on the boards covering the unit previously occupied by UFC Gym Singapore, although the latter's advertisement board was still on a nearby wall.

When contacted, Mr Huang declined to comment, claiming that he was bound by a non-disclosure agreement without elaborating.

UFC Gym's board remains at CityLink Mall. (Photo: CNA)
Members have since filed reports with the police and the Consumer Association of Singapore (CASE).

The Singapore Police Force confirmed that a report was lodged and investigations are ongoing.

CASE president Melvin Yong, said that the consumer watchdog received two complaints against UFC Gym Singapore's sudden closure from Feb 1 to May 9 this year.

Mr Yong said consumers reported that the gym's premises at CityLink was closed due to renovations.

"However, they later realised that UFC Gym’s website was down and its premises at CityLink had been vacated. Consumers also complained that they were unable to contact UFC Gym," Mr Yong said.

As UFC Gym Singapore is no longer operating, CASE advised consumers to lodge a claim at the Small Claims Tribunals.

"While consumers may enjoy savings per use over time for longer term memberships, CASE advises consumers to consider shorter term memberships or pay-per-use options as it is generally challenging for consumers to recover their monies for prepaid memberships in the event of sudden business closure," he added.

A similar scenario played out on a larger scale in 2016, when fitness chain California Fitness closed all its outlets in Singapore, leaving thousands of members with millions in unclaimed memberships, according to a report by the Straits Times.

Source: CNA/wt(sn)

Rabbit7

Alfrescian
Loyal
yuUFCGYMcollage1005_1.jpg

SINGAPORE - Singapore Polytechnic student Nguyen Tuan Hung’s gym membership was due to expire last October, but his boxing gym persuaded him to renew it by dangling discounts and other perks.

Seven months later, UFC Gym shut down both its branches in Singapore.

Mr Hung, 20, signed up for a one-year contract worth $1,300 at the gym’s City Square branch, but after it closed less than a month later, his account was transferred to UFC Gym’s CityLink outlet.

He said: “When my contract was about to expire in October 2022, the gym employees were pushing me to renew my membership.” He added that he was offered a discount if he paid upfront for the whole year.

“About two weeks later, I found out the City Square branch went bankrupt,” he said.

In February, its CityLink outlet said it was suspending operations. The gym, in an e-mail to members, said facilities would be upgraded over the coming months, and it was closing for renovations.

The e-mail added that all memberships would be placed on hold during this period but return to normal once the gym reopened, but did not say when.

There was no notice given to members about the CityLink outlet’s closure, said Mr Hung.

UFC Gym is the fitness franchise of US-based Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the most popular mixed martial arts programme in the world. It offers in its gyms training programmes inspired by the training regimen of UFC fighters.

It was only when members noticed that it had been turned into an Anytime Fitness outlet that many of them became concerned about getting a refund of their membership fees.

The gym’s website is now inaccessible, but its social media pages are still up and running.

Mr Hung said: “Many other members and I would like to get back the remainder of our money, but we know it is almost impossible.”

Several other UFC Gym members have lodged police reports and complaints with consumer watchdog Consumers Association of Singapore (Case).

Some gym users said they had bought membership packages ranging from $1,200 to $3,800 in 2022 and signed up for personal training sessions.

Mr Tung Ka Wai paid $1,296 in February for 12 personal training sessions after signing up during a year-end promotion. He said he attended only three of his 12 sessions before the gym closed.

He said: “The last I heard from the gym was the e-mail about the renovation.”

He added that the last person he was in contact with was gym owner Barnabas Huang, who is the founder of parent company NutriFirst. He is also the founder of Huangs Jewelry.

Mr Tung said he filed a claim on the Community Justice and Tribunals System portal, after which NutriFirst responded.

The portal can be used to file claims with the Small Claims Tribunal, among others. The Small Claims Tribunal usually handles disputes involving claims under $20,000.

Mr Tung said: “NutriFirst has declined to refund me the remaining amount and opted to exchange what they owe me for UFC merchandise instead. I refused.”

Attempts to contact Mr Huang for comment have been unsuccessful, and he has also set limits on who can comment on his personal Instagram page.

Case president Melvin Yong said there were two complaints against UFC Gym involving its sudden closure, lodged between Feb 1 and May 9.

He said: “Consumers reported that UFC Gym’s premises at CityLink were closed due to renovations.”

He added that consumers later realised that the gym’s website was down and its CityLink premises vacated.

Mr Yong, who is also Radin Mas MP, said consumers have been advised to lodge their claims at the Small Claims Tribunal as UFC Gym is no longer operating.

He said: “While consumers may enjoy savings per use over time for longer-term memberships, Case advises consumers to consider shorter-term memberships or pay-per-use options as it is generally challenging for consumers to recover their monies for pre-paid memberships in the event of sudden business closure.”

In response to queries, UFC Gym chief executive Adam Sedlack, who is based in California in the United States, said the Covid-19 pandemic was a key reason for the closure of the gym in Singapore.

He added that there is no direct ownership of the two Singapore outlets by UFC or UFC Gym.

The US chain, in 2018, announced a partnership with local brand NF Fitness to open 15 franchise locations in Singapore over the next 10 years. It is unclear if NF Fitness and NutriFirst are owned by the same people.

“The prior franchisee will be attending a small claims tribunal (hearing) to hopefully come to a good conclusion,” Mr Sedlack said.

He added UFC is “actively in discussions” to bring a new partner into the market.

He said: “As our new partner enters the market, it will be important for us that past members are given additional concessions to participate with the brand.

“Once our new partner is identified, I can also share with you who they are and the plan to give consideration to past members.”

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...er-sudden-closure-leaves-members-in-the-lurch

Same Senario as "California Fitness Centre" ?
Many cases too, about Spas that collect membership, and later close-down, citing "business failures" ?

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

Same Senario as "California Fitness Centre" ?
Many cases too, about Spas that collect membership, and later close-down, citing "business failures" ?
This has been happening since forever...what about those beauty n hair salon packages....? Buy already than close down....n still happening because singkieland no real consumer protection