• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UEFA Champions League 2012/2013

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We were worthy of a point, says Benfica coach Jorge Jesus

The Portuguese trainer was left ruing their opponent's artificial pitch and his side's lack of lethal instincts, after failing to come out on top in a hard-fought game

Oct 23, 2012 10:05:00 PM

By Simon Harrison

140564hp2.jpg

Benfica boss Jorge Jesus believes that his travelling side did enough to earn a point against Spartak Moscow, and is ultimately disappointed after failing to get a share of the spoils.

An own goal from Jardel was enough to gift the home side the victory, and despite their best efforts in the second half, Benfica couldn't find the clinical touch to convert their chances.

Instead of bemoaning his side's performance however, Jesus sympathised with his players, as he claimed that Spartak's artificial pitch was hard for his side to get accustomed to.

"It would have been important to get a point. We played well enough to deserve one," reasoned the coach, speaking to reporters.

"But Spartak surprised us, and also the fact this is an artificial pitch [influenced proceedings]. We struggled to adapt but we put that right.

"We dominated in the second half and had several chances, but could not score.

"Still, we deserved to leave with a point. Now we have to win both games at home and I think if we do that we can get there [the knockout stages]. We have every chance of winning them," he said.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I don't know what to do with them' - Sir Alex Ferguson admits Manchester United striker headache

Following Chicharito's Champions League double against Braga, the Scot has conceded that the quality and form of his forward options has posed him a selection problem

Oct 23, 2012 9:42:00 PM

By Chris Teale

221627hp2.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he does not know how to utilise all his in-form forward options, following Chicharito's double against Braga.

The Mexican netted twice to help the Red Devils seal a 3-2 Champions League win on Tuesday evening, despite having trailed 2-0 in the first half.

And, after the game, Sir Alex conceded that he faces a selection headache with Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and now Chicharito all amongst the goals recently.

He told ITV: “[Chicharito] is improving all the same and he’s got such enthusiasm for the game. He trains magnificently.

“He’s got me thinking, I must say that. He’s got me thinking about him and Van Persie, Rooney and Welbeck.

“I don’t know what to do with them, to be honest with you.”

The Scot also defended his decision to start Michael Carrick and Alexander Buttner in defence ahead of Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra, insisting a congested fixture list makes rotation a must.

He added: “I think we did the right thing. It wasn’t Michael Carrick’s fault for the goal – the first goal – he did his job well.

“He can take the ball out from the back for us, his passing was terrific.

“I think you have to look at the big picture. Rio, at his age, big game on Sunday against Chelsea, then Chelsea on Wednesday and Arsenal on the Saturday... we’ve a massive problem coming up now and it’s important to use and utilise the squad that we have.

“OK, at the moment, with Vidic out and Jones and Smalling not available, putting Michael at the back there is not the best but he does the job well.”

The Red Devils manager also praised his side’s recovery from two goals down but expressed his concern at their defensive shortcomings.

He said: “It’s been the story of our season at home, starting badly and losing goals. We’re having to fight back to rescue games and it’s the front players who are doing that for us.

“I must say, some of our football was terrific tonight – some fantastic football, we created a lot of chances – but it is a concern, losing the goals.”

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Classy Shakhtar hand Chelsea a dose of Champions League reality

The Blues may yet become the first club to retain Europe's premier club competition, but Tuesday's humbling highlights that they remain a talented team in transition

Oct 24, 2012 6:25:00 AM

By Liam Twomey

221623hp2.jpg

It may have been only Chelsea’s third Champions League outing as tournament holders, but the ‘Miracle of Munich’ felt like ancient history on another chastening night against impressive continental opposition.

Shakhtar Donetsk, imbued with a lavish helping of Brazilian invention, overran Roberto Di Matteo’s men every bit as comprehensively as a Falcao-inspired Atletico Madrid did in the Uefa Super Cup final back in August and, were it not for Petr Cech’s heroics and the absence of a frontman on par with the sensational Colombian, they would have got the emphatic scoreline to match.

Both games followed a similar pattern. In Monaco, a ponderous Blues side were ambushed early and took just six minutes to succumb to Falcao’s deadly gifts. In Donetsk, they lasted only three before Luiz Adriano’s deflected shot broke to Alex Teixeira, who slotted home. Luck played its part, but the Ukrainian champions were handed an initiative they never looked likely to relinquish.

Almost immediately committed to chasing the game, Chelsea left far too much room for the likes of Adriano, Teixeira, Henrik Mkhitaryan, Fernandinho and Willian, who delivered on manager Mircea Lucescu’s pre-match promise to torment the club he reportedly came close to signing for in January.

With the ball, Shakhtar were a constant menace. Without it, they hassled and harried the Blues with the same conviction and tenacity their opponents had exhibited at White Hart Lane on Saturday. Chelsea, uncharacteristically slow and uninspired in possession, wilted under the constant pressure. The hosts were quicker over the ground, stronger in the tackle and more incisive in the pass.

Eden Hazard’s costly mistake on the halfway line which led to Fernandinho’s winner moments after the interval was the symptom of a much wider malaise, and Oscar’s late consolation only briefly raised hopes of a comeback which would have been as undeserved as it appeared unlikely.

But defeat, though damaging, is not the disaster it could have been for Di Matteo’s men. Shakhtar might live to regret not making their vast superiority count in a tight group where goal difference may yet come into play, while Juventus’ shock draw with Nordsjaelland – their ninth European stalemate in as many matches – keeps the holders’ destiny well and truly in their own hands.

Victory over the Ukrainian champions when the two sides clash at Stamford Bridge in a fortnight would lend Group E a much more agreeable complexion to Chelsea eyes. There is more than enough talent within the ranks to avenge Tuesday’s humbling, although a vast improvement will be required to check the considerable momentum Lucescu’s men have built up over the past year.

Before then, Di Matteo will seek a reaction when Manchester United come to west London on Sunday, and take comfort in the fact that the visitors appear at least as vulnerable. If recent performances are anything to go by, there will be goals at both ends, and plenty of them.

It is just as well that European champions are not decided in October, because at present none of the Premier League’s finest appear remotely capable of scaling the heights. Chelsea’s new and exciting crop deservedly sit top of the table after a thrilling start, but setbacks against continental opposition are a truer reflection of their status as a work in progress.

Encouraging domestic signs have so far dimmed any sense of panic felt as a result of the necessary summer departure of Didier Drogba, but the archetypal ‘man for the big occasion’ was sorely missed in Donetsk. Chelsea need Fernando Torres, a laboured presence in the game, to step up and shoulder the talismanic burden on big nights. Failing that, they need to find someone else who will.

Di Matteo is also still searching for a way to balance his side’s new formidable creative hub with the defensive resilience which provided the foundation for last season’s astonishing success. Ramires and Jon Obi Mikel have shown promise as a defensive shield in recent weeks, but both must learn that passive displays like the one against Shakhtar are not conducive to success at the highest level.

On the eve of his side’s opening-day clash with Juventus last month, the Italian insisted his team were up for the challenge of “doing the impossible” and becoming the first club to retain the Champions League. Such glory may still be achieved, but Tuesday’s humbling offered a timely reminder that the road will be every bit as long and hard the second time around.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea must win last two home games, insists Di Matteo

The Italian manager expressed confidence that his side can progress to the Champions League knockout stages should they win their remaining fixtures at Stamford Bridge

Oct 23, 2012 11:50:00 PM

By Ryan Benson

215508hp2.jpg

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo has insisted his side must exact revenge for their 2-1 defeat at hands of Shakhtar Donetsk and win their two remaining Champions League home games.

Brazilian duo Alex Teixeira and Fernandinho grabbed the goals for the hosts on Tuesday evening before a late consolation strike from their compatriot Oscar gave the travelling fans something to cheer. And, despite Shakhtar now sitting three points ahead of Chelsea at the top of Group E, Di Matteo feels his side can seal qualification for the knockout stages in their upcoming games at Stamford Bridge.

He told reporters: “We must win our two Champions League home games and I'm confident it will be a different game for Shakhtar [at Stamford Bridge]. “We're strong at home as well.”

The Italian also rued his side's sluggish start in comparison to their opponents, adding: "The early goal helped Shakhtar massively and it unsettled us. We were getting better in second half but then got caught.” The former Blues attacker was quick to highlight the quality his side faced, however, with Shakhtar going into the game on a 27-match unbeaten run.

"I think we have to just look at this performance as a single one," he told Sky Sports. "They [Shakhtar] are a very strong team and they showed that again tonight. It's a difficult group we are in and the Champions League is always very competitive.

"You look at the other result in our group and it shows just how competitive it is.” Di Matteo was also keen to dismiss suggestions that John Terry had been distracted by his recent domestic ban for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, despite a below-par performance from the defender.

"I think the commitment from our players was 100 per cent,” he affirmed. “Probably we could have done better as a team, but he [Terry] was alright. I don't think he was affected by it [the off-field problems]."

Frank Lampard picked up a knock during the match and the 42-year-old confirmed the midfielder has suffered a recurrence of the calf problem sustained against Norwich earlier in October. "It's the same calf that he has had for the last two-and-a-half weeks,” he added. “He was fine [before the match] but it went in the game."

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Focus is the key for PSG to progress, say Carlo Ancelotti and Blaise Matuidi

Les Parisiens' boss believes that his side must concentrate on getting out of their Champions League group, before setting any higher expectations for their European campaign

Oct 23, 2012 7:10:00 PM

By Simon Harrison

211370hp2.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti has backed his players to perform ahead of their Champions League clash against Dinamo Zagreb on Wednesday, a sentiment which has been echoed by midfielder Blaise Matuidi.

Dinamo sit bottom of Group A after failing to pick up a point from their opening two fixtures, but Ancelotti believes that every match requires focus to achieve victory.

"To win a Champions League match, you must put in intensity and concentration. This is an important game, such as returning to Parc des Princes. Both confrontations will be crucial I think," explained Ancelotti, speaking to reporters.

"We must first get out of this group and then see what we can do. I hope we can go as far as possible. But the pressure is constant and necessary. There are six games in this group, on Wednesday it will be the third, everything remains to be done.

"I just hope that Pastore will have a great game, find all his confidence and demonstrate his capabilities."

Blaise Matuidi shared the same sentiments as his coach, as the 25-year-old spoke of the commitment and effort required to bounce back from their defeat at the hands of Porto.

"We are focused on our game, without thinking about our opponent. We come here to win. I feel good about this team, the players have helped me a lot in my progression," he said, speaking to reporters.

"For each match, I want to give 120 per cent, I always have this motivation because no game is easy. I do not have the talent of some players and I have to compensate for this with maximum commitment.

"We learned from our defeat in Porto and I hope we will win again in the Champions League," he said.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Borussia Dortmund have injury worries ahead of Real Madrid clash

BVB's Germany international admits he may not be fit in time for the Bundesliga champions' clash against Los Blancos

Oct 23, 2012 8:00:00 PM

By Gregorio Weston

221434hp2.jpg

Borussia Dortmund midfielders Ilkay Gundogan and Jakub 'Kuba' Błaszczykowski look set to miss Wednesday's match against Real Madrid.

Both were also unavailable for Saturday's domestic derby against Schalke a game in which they lost further ground on the leaders, Bayern Munich, after the 2-1 defeat.

And Gundogan revealed he is not getting his hopes about making the clash with Los Blancos.

"As things stand, I do not expect to be fit for Wednesday," Gundogan told reporters.

Left-back Marcel Schmelzer has a bruised foot, and also remains a doubt for Jurgen Klopp's side but Mario Gotze who missed the Revierderby could be in a contention for a start against La Liga giants.

BVB has four points in the Group D standings and are two points behind Madrid.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klopp must outfox Mourinho to prove himself as a coach

The Borussia Dortmund boss has been a huge success at Signal Iduna Park in Germany, but his forays into Europe have been less than successful in his four years in charge

Oct 24, 2012 8:00:00 AM

215841hp2.jpg

COMMENT
By Falko Bloding | Goalcom Germany

To class Borussia Dortmund's Champions League journey last season as disappointing would be an enormous understatement. Fresh from their famous Bundesliga title success, big things were expected of Jurgen Klopp's side on the European stage, only for them to crash out in the group stage.

The 2012-13 campaign will determine whether the Schwarzgelben and their coach learned from the experience of last term, and with Real Madrid waiting in the wings, the German champions will be facing the sternest examination that the Continent has to offer.

In his homeland, Jurgen Klopp is both a hugely popular figure, and a proven coach. He is yet to earn that recognition in Europe, but, on Wednesday, he will have the chance to pit his wits against Jose Mourinho, one of the finest in the business. And a good performance against Los Blancos will certainly win him a reputation outside of Germany.

Last season, Dortmund approached the Champions League with an air of naivety, going for the jugular in each match, only to be met with a different type of opponent and a rude awakening. In the current campaign, they have clearly been trying a different approach.

In the home clash with Ajax, they were far more conservative, waiting patiently until the dying moments to secure the three points. They followed this up with a courageous performance at the Etihad Stadium against Manchester City, which won them many plaudits, despite Mario Balotelli's late equaliser.

KLOPP AT BVB | July 2008 - October 2012

<tbody>
</tbody>
184094hp2.jpg

Trophies
League games
Win ratio
European games
Win ratio
4144 57%18 33%

<tbody>
</tbody>

And now, the moment of truth has arrived, and the test could not be tougher. A string of niggling injuries are currently plaguing the double winners, with many key players either out or in doubt. What's more, Dortmund welcome Madrid to Germany on the back of a damaging home loss to rivals Schalke at the weekend.

Klopp was quick to shoulder the blame for the derby defeat, having deployed a 3-5-2 formation which wholly failed. Further experimentation against Madrid is unlikely, and all hopes will be pinned on the likes of Mario Gotze and Marcel Schmelzer recovering in time. If they do, there's the unenviable task of outwitting Mourinho.

At first glance, the two coaches are fairly similar. Neither mince their words in interviews, and both bring a huge amount of entertainment value with them. Both master the media perfectly, attracting attention onto themselves to take the pressure off their players, but what really unites them is their treatment of officials.

There are differences: where Klopp avoids criticising opponents, the 'Special One' happily slams rival players and coaches, but if Klopp is able to mastermind a victory against Madrid on Wednesday and steer Dortmund through the 'Group of Death', he will have a record of success in Europe which challenges his recent triumphs in the domestic game.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Babel calls on Ajax team-mates to 'play like men' against Manchester City

The former Liverpool attacker is desperate to take maximum points from Roberto Mancini's men to keep hope alive of qualification from the group stage of the Champions League

Oct 23, 2012 2:58:00 PM

By Tom Marshall-Bailey

221479hp2.jpg

Ryan Babel has called on his Ajax team-mates to prove their worth against Manchester City in Wednesday's crucial Champions League encounter.

Both Ajax and City need maximum points from their next two games against each other if they are to avoid crashing out at the group stage for a second season in succession, after securing just one point between them with two games played, and Babel is under no illusions as to the task that his side face.

He told reporters: "We have to play like men against City. The last match, against Heracles, we gave it away and that shouldn't happen anymore.

"City is an opponent who benefits when we lose the ball, so we have to play really direct.

"If we stand still, it will be easy for them to defend us and that's of course the last thing we want to do."

Babel, who faced City six times during his four-year stay in the Premier League, will come up against a far more star-studded line-up than he is used to seeing and believes that their squad ranks among the best in the world.

He added: "It was always tough for us [Liverpool], especially away games. They had a very strong team physically so that was always difficult.

“Since my time they have made big steps forward and bought some very good players. They made good progress the last few years."

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Buying players is a lot easier' - Ajax boss De Boer criticises Manchester City's philosophy

The 42-year-old has hit out at the Premier League champions' big-spending policy, preferring his side’s approach which he hopes can achieve a result at the Amsterdam ArenA

Oct 23, 2012 2:40:00 PM

By Tom Bradley

215365hp2.jpg

Ajax manager Frank de Boer has hit out at Manchester City's transfer policy, preferring his club's style and philosophy because "buying players is a lot easier".

The two sides face off in the Champions League on Wednesday night and the Dutch coach, while praising the talent at Roberto Mancini's disposal, insists that his approach is preferable.

"City is a club who spend a lot of money," De Boer told reporters. "We don't have that kind of money so we have to be creative.

"I like our style better because buying players is a lot easier. Their attack is worth more than our entire budget. I thought their attackers cost €142 million [£115.5m] or something.

"It doesn't matter who plays at City because all the players have a lot of quality.

"There is a difference in their players because [Edin] Dzeko and [Mario] Balotelli are more target men, [Sergio] Aguero plays around the striker's position.

“[Carlos] Tevez works really hard for the team. He's always busy and running around, so that's hard to defend."

Both teams are in desperate need for three points from the Amsterdam ArenA clash, with Ajax losing both of their opening group games and City boasting just one point after a last-gasp equaliser against Borussia Dortmund on matchday two.

And De Boer is backing his side to pick up a good result against City, declaring: "I think we can manage to get a result if we have the good form.

"Against Real Madrid we didn't play well but against Dortmund it was good. We really need a good result or else it's as good as over for us in Europe."

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League Group A wrap: Porto, PSG win again

25 October 2012

293635header.jpg

Porto produced a 3-2 victory over Dynamo Kiev to maintain their perfect record in Champions League Group A, as Paris Saint-Germain also won.

Silvestre Varela's powerful opener provided the first goal in a terrific match at Estadio do Dragao, with the Ukrainian visitors responding when Oleh Gusyev glanced home a corner kick.

Jackson Martinez put the Portuguese hosts back in the lead before the break, before Ideye Brown's leveller put the visitors back on to track to earn a point.

But Martinez was on hand again to score the fifth and decisive goal of an enthralling encounter.

Coming into the match having already seen off Dinamo Zagreb and Paris Saint-Germain, the home side showed plenty of confidence in the early stages, but proved unable to fashion a clear-cut chance.

That changed spectacularly when Varela picked up the ball on the edge of the box and rifled home an unstoppable shot.

The Ukrainians had relied on the dangerous crosses of Miguel Veloso to threaten, and they drew level when one such in-swinging delivery was knocked home by Gusyev.

Seeking to reply for Porto, Martinez had already fired a warning with a shot off the crossbar, and it was the livewire forward who restored their lead 10 minutes before the interval.

James Rodriguez was the architect, sliding a neat ball through for the striker to knock home from close range.

After the interval it was the erratic goalkeeping of Helton that offered Dynamo their greatest hope earning a point, with the shot-stopper guilty of some weak punches from the crosses arriving in his area.

Nevertheless, Helton's most painful moment came as he conceded to Brown, whose thumping effort cracked into the net off the goalkeeper's face.

The winner for Porto arrived seven minutes later, and Martinez was the hero with a simple finish, tapping home after Lucho Gonzalez beat a ragged offside trap and squared the ball to his colleague.

Elsewhere in Group A, PSG secured a comfortable 2-0 win away to Dinamo Zagreb, thanks to goals from Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Jeremy Menez.

Porto top the group on nine points from three matches played, three points ahead of second-placed PSG.

Dynamo Kiev are third on three points, with Dinamo Zagreb bottom and yet to avoid defeat.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League Group B wrap: Schalke breach Arsenal fortress

25 October 2012

schalke1-blog480.jpg

Schalke have become the first foreign side in nine years to win a Champions League match at Arsenal thanks to a 2-0 victory on Wednesday.

Late goals from Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Ibrahim Afellay settled a game the German visitors dominated throughout, tearing Arsenal's insipid defence to pieces at the Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal left-back Andre Santos was particularly poor, as Schalke winger Jefferson Farfan destroyed the Brazilian.

Farfan set up the opening scoring opportunity of the game in the 14th minute when he sent Afellay through on goal, who went down under a challenge from Arsenal goalkeeper Vito Mannone, only to be shown a yellow card for simulation, although replays suggested it should have been a penalty.

Despite their dominance in the first half, Schalke could not convert and they continued in that vein after the break when Farfan, who again breezed past Santos, squared the ball for captain Benedikt Howedes, who made a mess of his attempted shot, blazing it over the crossbar.

In the 76th minute, Schalke finally scored the goal they deserved, punishing Arsenal for their carelessness.

Afellay was unchallenged as he headed the ball to Huntelaar, who was played onside by Santos and smashed the ball low past Mannone.

Four minutes before full-time, Schalke again struck on the break and Santos was left chasing Farfan's shadow before the Peruvian crossed for Afellay to slot home at the back post with two Arsenal defenders looking on.

The Gunners had just three attempts on target in the entire match, and none of those were noteworthy.

While none of the home side's players could be said to have played well, Santos was particularly dreadful at the back, while Gervinho's decision-making highlighted the lack of confidence in Arsenal's attacking play.

Wednesday's win takes Schalke to seven points and top of Group B ahead of Arsenal on six.

In the other match in that group, Olympiacos came from behind to defeat Montpellier 2-1 in France.

After a goalless first half, Gaetan Charbonnier put Montpellier in front in the 49th minute but it was the visitors from Greece who took the three points thanks to goals from Vassilis Torosidis and Kostas Mitroglou, with the latter coming in the first minute of second-half stoppage time.

Olympiacos have moved up to third in Group B with that victory, while Montpellier are bottom with one point.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League Group C wrap: Malaga edge ailing Milan

25 October 2012

293633header.jpg

Malaga's perfect start to their first Champions League campaign has continued with a 1-0 win over AC Milan thanks to a goal from Joaquin.

The Spanish winger, who missed a first-half penalty, made amends in the 64th minute when he ran onto a perfectly chipped pass from Manuel Iturra to slot the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

The victory takes Malaga to nine points from three games and clear at the top of Group C in the UEFA Champions League, with Milan second on four points, while Zenit St Petersburg (three) and Anderlecht (one) are further back.

Malaga, facing an Italian side for the first time in their history, carried the momentum of the first half into the second period, as the performances of Joaquin and Manuel Iturra in particular kept Milan on the back foot.

The Serie A side slowly grew into the game and they managed to fashion the first real chance of the match on the half-hour mark, as Urby Emanualson broke free down the right and teed up Stephan El Shaarawy inside the area, who fired over from a great position.

Malaga hit back soon after, as a slick combination between Joaquin and Isco resulted in the latter bending a shot inches over the bar from the edge of the box.

With two minutes to go until half-time, the home side were presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead, after Kevin Constant tugged down Jesus Gamez just inside the area to concede a penalty.

Joaquin took responsibility from 12 yards out but could only clip the crossbar.

Malaga continued to shade it after the break and Javier Saviola nearly had a one-on-one after latching onto Isco's brilliant cutback, but a superb tackle by Daniele Bonera halted him at the final moment.

The home side broke the deadlock almost 20 minutes into the second half, with Iturra chipping a first-time pass over Milan's defence and Joaquin producing a neat finish.

In the other Group C clash, Zenit St Petersburg defeated Anderlecht 1-0 thanks to a penalty from Aleksandr Kerzhakov.

Anderlecht's Bram Nuytinck conceded the penalty with a foul on Aleksandr Anyukov and Kerzhakov sent the visitors' goalkeeper Silvio Proto the wrong way to score the only goal of the game.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League Group D wrap: Ajax stun winless City

25 October 2012

293634header.jpg

Manchester City's Champions League hopes suffered a huge blow with a 3-1 loss to Ajax on Wednesday, as Borussia Dortmund beat Real Madrid.

Visitors City took their time to grow into the Group D tie at the Amsterdam Arena, but made no mistake with their first opportunity, Samir Nasri slotting home.

However, Siem de Jong netted a superb equaliser on the stroke of half-time to send the teams in level at the break.

After a cautious start to the second 45 minutes, the Dutch hosts took the lead through Niklas Moisander, before Christian Eriksen's deflected shot made it 3-1.

The hosts made the brighter start, keeping the ball with ease and working the first chance of the game just before the ten-minute mark, Eriksen firing narrowly wide of Joe Hart's post.

The dangerous Eriksen then flattened Yaya Toure with a hefty challenge, before the Dane made his mark in a different way, once more going close with a long-range effort.

However, somewhat against the run of play, it was Mancini's men who took the lead in the 23rd minute.

Micah Richards fed Milner with a beautifully weighted ball, the midfielder passing it on to Nasri, who opened his body to curl a shot past Kenneth Vermeer.

Sergio Aguero then twice found himself with space in the box, and may well have doubled the lead if it was not for two last-ditch tackles.

Five minutes later, Vermeer made a fine save from Micah Richards.

With half-time approaching City were made to pay for failing to press their advantage.

Ricardo van Rhijn delivered with a low cross from the right, picking out De Jong's run and allowing the midfielder to smash a first-time effort into the corner, giving Hart absolutely no chance and sending the teams into the break on level terms.

The visitors almost made the perfect start to the second period. Aguero broke into the Ajax box and, as Vermeer rushed out, tried to find a team-mate in the area but saw his chipped cross cleared.

City were made to pay again on 57 minutes, when Eriksen whipped in a fantastic corner from the right-hand side, Moisander then beating Joleon Lescott in the air to nod past a helpless Hart.

Things went from bad to worse for Mancini, who replaced Lescott with Aleksandar Kolarov and switched to a back three.

The change in formation proved fruitless, as man of the match Eriksen embarked on a twisting run before unleashing a left-footed effort, the ball striking Gael Clichy on its way into the goal - once again leaving Hart helpless.

Tobia Sana then had a golden opportunity to put his side further ahead, only for Hart to rush off his line and smother the one-on-one.

Edin Dzeko squandered two opportunities to give the visitors a lifeline - the Bosnian hesitating on both occasions, allowing Vermeer to make the blocks.

For the final 15 minutes Mancini's side seemed to be playing with just two men at the back and two in midfield, with strikers Mario Balotelli and Carlos Tevez both thrown into the fray.

Nasri had a weak penalty appeal turned down and Aguero shot narrowly over, but ultimately there was no breakthrough and Ajax held firm to secure their first win of the tournament.

Also on Wednesday, Borussia Dortmund earned a valuable 2-1 win at home to Real Madrid, courtesy of goals from Robert Lewandowski and Marcel Schmelzer, either side of Cristiano Ronaldo's equaliser.

The results leave Dortmund top of Group D on seven points, one point ahead of second-placed Real.

Ajax move onto three points in third spot, leaving City bottom with just one point to their name.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

214693_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti uncertain about Paris Saint-Germain's pedigree in Champions League
PSG's coach admits he is unsure of his new-look side’s capabilities in Europe’s premier competition but is hopeful of a lengthy stay in the tournament

217184_thumb.jpg

Manchester City face reminder that Ajax youth policy is key to a sustainable future
The Premier League champions may have more chance of immediate success than their Dutch counterparts but have a long way to go in terms of developing young players

204803_thumb.jpg

Lampard a doubt for Manchester United clash after limping out of Shakhtar defeat
The 34-year-old last just 15 minutes of the 2-1 defeat on Tuesday night, with Roberto Di Matteo confirming a recurrence of a calf injury, and will now have a scan ahead of Sunday

221584_thumb.jpg

Mascherano: Justice was served
The Argentina international was relieved to see his team bag the full three points against Celtic in the end, and feels they fully deserved their win

203812_thumb.jpg

Stubborn Sir Alex is putting Manchester United's hopes of silverware at risk
Another miraculous recovery against Braga has failed to mask the glaring problems in the Red Devils side, which the manager seems intent on ignoring

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

132853_thumb.jpg

Pique: Barcelona want to repeat Wembley success
The towering defender has set his sights on achieving glory in Europe's elite club competition this term, and has spoken of his admiration for Franz Beckenbauer among others

131110_thumb.jpg

Galliani: Allegri will lead AC Milan through year zero
The vice-president has moved to quell rumours that the Rossoneri's under-fire trainer is facing the sack by once again confirming that he remains part of the club's plans

215296_thumb.jpg

Shakhtar could have scored more against Chelsea, claims Lucescu
The Romanian was delighted with his side's win over the reigning European champions and felt they could have added to their tally, while he also had a warning for other big clubs

221665_thumb.jpg

'We must perform better to qualify' - Buffon urges Juventus to up their European game
The Old Lady captain knows his team are not playing well enough to advance to the knockout stages of Europe's elite competition and wants more from his colleagues

222121_thumb.jpg

Schmelzer revels in 'dream goal' against Real Madrid
The international left-back got BVB's winner to down Los Blancos 2-1 at the Westfalenstadion and admits to playing through the pain barrier for his team

219619_thumb.jpg

Casillas: Pepe not to blame for Dortmund defeat
The Spain international insists his team-mate cannot be held responsible for Los Merengues' bleak performance at the Westfalenstadion, insisting BVB were simply superior

182966_thumb.jpg

PSG keeper Sirigu: Dinamo Zagreb win was a big step towards qualification
The former Palermo man believes les Parisiens' victory at Stadion Maksimir has put them in a great position to advance to the knockout stages of Europe's elite club tournament

220546_thumb.jpg

Champions League qualification is bigger than winning the FA Cup, says Wenger
The Gunners boss told assembled fans at the club's general meeting that staying in Europe's premier club competition trumps the desire for domestic silverware

107669_thumb.jpg

Schuster: Chelsea set a terrible footballing example
The German trainer has attacked the Premier League club for their negative attitude last term, while also taking time to discuss Arjen Robben as well as Real Madrid's youth academy

221780_thumb.jpg

Allegri: Draw would have been fair result
The under-pressure coach criticised his side's poor passing but claimed the Rossoneri deserved a point from their performance against the Costa del Sol outfit

202050_thumb.jpg

PSG can still improve, says Jallet
The France international feels the Parisiens will have to continue to make progression, and added that they will not be satisfied until they have qualified for the next round

221903_thumb.jpg

Xabi Alonso: Madrid deserved a draw
The holding midfielder believes the Spanish powerhouse had done enough to earn at least one point in the Group D match in Dortmund

220890_thumb.jpg

Klopp: Beating Real Madrid is an amazing feeling
The successful coach was over the moon with his side's home victory, and feels Wednesday's encounter will be a huge confidence boost

221908_thumb.jpg

Bundesliga comes of age as Real Madrid & Arsenal are stunned
Borussia Dortmund and Schalke both claimed historic wins in the Champions League on Wednesday, showing that Germany's top flight finally has three fine teams to boast

221956_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo & Mourinho lose records as Real Madrid's German 'curse' continues
Cristiano scored and lost in a Champions League match for the first time and his coach finally lost a group game with the Spanish side, who went down 2-1 at Borussia Dortmund

221995_thumb.jpg

Abject Arsenal display against Schalke will make for turbulent AGM
The Gunners fell to only their second home defeat in 44 Champions League matches on Wednesday as they were punished for a woeful performance with a 2-0 defeat to the German side

199281_thumb.jpg

Emanuelson: AC Milan were unlucky
The versatile Dutchman believes the Rossoneri deserved better than a narrow loss as he was rather satisfied with their good attitude

221919_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo: Dortmund loss no great drama
The Portugal international remains unperturbed by the Blancos' loss at the Signal Iduna Park, and is still confident they will reach the next round

197428_thumb.jpg

Arsenal remain favourites, says Stevens
The Dutchman feels the Premier League representatives are still the team to beat, and was very pleased with his side's victory

211554_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini: Malaga dominated AC Milan
The Boquerones' coach claimed the Rossoneri were only interested in defending and said the margin of victory should have been greater for the Costa del Sol outfit

186403_thumb.jpg

Joan Laporta attacks Sandro Rosell over Barcelona leadership again
The former Blaugrana President has accused his successor of lacking a clear vision for the club, and claims that the current administration are living off their "heritage"

221937_thumb.jpg

De Boer: Manchester City had no answers for Ajax's play
The Dutchman expressed delight with his side's performance in their 3-1 victory over the Premier League champions on Wednesday evening at the Amsterdam ArenA

221853_thumb.jpg

Spalletti relieved that Zenit are off the mark
Despite a lacklustre display, the Italian coach feels that there are many positives to take from Wednesday's Champions League match against the Belgian champions

198921_thumb.jpg

Bould laments Arsenal's lack of confidence after defeat to Schalke
The Gunners suffered their first ever Champions League loss against a foreign side at the Emirates Stadium as Ibrahim Afellay and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar got amongst the goals

216907_thumb.jpg

Hummels: We gave everything to beat Real Madrid
The defender claims BVB raised their game to beat the Liga champions, while goalscorer Schmelzer is emotional in victory, revealing that the match "fulfilled a childhood dream"

221929_thumb.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain could have scored more against Dinamo Zagreb - Ancelotti
The Italian trainer was pleased with his side's showing on Wednesday evening and insists that he still expects more from his star-studded squad

221941_thumb.jpg

Vermaelen bemoans Arsenal's lack of chances against Schalke
The Gunners' captain is unhappy with his sides failure to create chances during their loss to Schalke and says he is disappointed they couldn't bounce back from the Norwich defeat

221936_thumb.jpg

Manchester City defender Richards blasts Mancini's 3-5-2 system after Ajax defeat
City are left bottom of Group D after defeat to the Eredivisie title holders, with the right-back admitting his side have not practised much with a three-man defence

221943_thumb.jpg

Clueless Mancini ruthlessly exposed at Champions League level
The Italian has to be held responsible as Manchester City suffer a dire 3-1 defeat to Ajax, a result that surely condemns them to a second-straight failure in the group stages

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir Alex Ferguson admits confusion at Manchester United's defensive woes

The Old Trafford manager saw his side concede two at home to Braga on Tuesday night and, despite an eventual 3-2 win, is concerned by the amount of goals his side is leaking

Oct 24, 2012 10:15:00 AM

By Tom J Doyle

219182hp2.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted his confusion at Manchester United’s defensive issues after his side had to come from behind to beat Braga 3-2 in the Champions League on Tuesday.

The Portuguese club were ahead after only 80 seconds, and made it two after 20 minutes as United threatened to implode with a makeshift defence which included Michael Carrick at centre-back.

Despite the Old Trafford side coming back strongly to win the game and make it nine points from three games in Group H, Sir Alex says he is unsure of how to rectify the current defensive concerns.

"We came through OK. I can't understand our defending. We made it difficult for ourselves [but we] got a result most people wouldn't have expected when we were two-nil down. Credit to the players, they don't stop," he told reporters.

The 70-year-old Scot is frustrated by the types of goals his side are conceding, with all manner of strikes making it difficult to pinpoint a specific weakness which could be improved in training.

"I can't get to the bottom of it. If you analyse all the goals we are losing, they are all different types, a cross and then a cutback and players free in the box tonight,” Sir Alex continued.

"It is difficult to put my finger on it. We are certainly not getting good starts to games, that's for sure."

With a defence of Rafael, Michael Carrick, Jonny Evans and Alexander Buttner, it was always going to be a testing night for United, with Rio Ferdinand being rested before Sunday's match with Premier League leaders Chelsea.

And despite the oddity of United's defensive troubles coming at Old Trafford, where their form is usually strong, Sir Alex was confident his side could arrest the alarming slip in solidity.

He added: "It's the home games we are losing the goals so early. Away from home it is not a problem in terms of early goals. We will sort it, I am sure of that."

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Third straight AC Milan defeat & Galliani vote of no confidence leaves Allegri exit inevitable

The beleaguered boss is closer to being shown the door at Via Turati following the Rossoneri's latest defeat, with all the signs pointing to an imminent parting of the ways

Oct 24, 2012 9:10:00 PM

221924hp2.jpg

COMMENT

By Kris Voakes | Italian Football Writer

Whether AC Milan sack Massimiliano Allegri on Thursday, or they wait a few more days, it is now inevitable that the moment is not far away. Tonight’s Champions League Group C defeat to Malaga at La Rosaleda was the Rossoneri’s third in succession, and leaves the seven-time European champions nervously looking over their shoulder in what is a very weak pool.

Add to that their abysmal form in Serie A, where they have gained more points than only Palermo and sit in 15th place after eight matches, and it is clear to see why there have been rumours about Allegri’s future for some time. Earlier in the week, talk emerged that the club was negotiating a pay-off with the former Cagliari boss, and few envisage him being in the dugout a week from now.

When CEO Adriano Galliani was interviewed on the pitch at La Rosaleda before the match, he refused to confirm that Allegri’s future was safe. “I'm not talking about the coach, let's talk about the game. Allegri is Milan coach, now it's right that we talk about the game," said Galliani.

MATCH FACTS | Malaga 1-0 Milan
221925_hp.jpg
MALAGAMILAN
Shots913
On Target26
Possession55%45%
Corners94
Bookings14

<tbody>
</tbody>
It was the perfect opportunity to back the boss - as he admittedly had to a rival broadcaster several hours earlier - moments before a big Champions League game, and immediately after Zenit St Petersburg’s win over Anderlecht ensured that the Rossoneri would end the night in second place no matter what. But Galliani refused to take it, and that can only mean one thing. Allegri also refused to confirm after the game that club owner Silvio Berlusconi had given him assurances over his future.

Milan were not actually that bad against Malaga, and were probably worth a point on the balance of play. However, things have reached such a low ebb at Milanello that that cannot be seen as a deal-breaker, and a 1-0 defeat is just not good enough in the current climate.

Allegri has been a dead man walking for weeks. He arguably should have gone sooner, with the defeat at Udinese presenting a perfect time for the board to look elsewhere. They held on though, and since then the Rossoneri have added only one league win – and that with Allegri suspended and Mauro Tassotti calling the shots from the bench, while also picking up three Champions League points after a backs-to-the-wall performance against a Zenit side subjected to something of a civil war.

In their last three games, they have lost a Milan derby, fallen to a lethargic loss to Lazio, and now blotted their Champions League copybook against relative novices in Europe. At a time when players should be busting a gut for their underfire coach, there has been no sign of such endeavour from the Rossoneri players. Allegri just hasn’t been able to get the minimum requirement out of them.

Who comes in is open to question, with Tassotti and Filippo Inzaghi among the candidates. But, whoever the new boss is, and whether he arrives in 24 hours or in four days or a fortnight, the bottom line remains the same. Allegri is staring at the end of the line.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Madrid loss to Borussia Dortmund is not dramatic

The Portuguese insisted that Los Blancos' most recent defeat is not a catastrophe but admitted that his side have been drawn alongside some difficult opponents

Oct 24, 2012 10:00:00 PM

By Tom Webber

216657hp2.jpg

Jose Mourinho does not believe that Real Madrid's loss at the hands of Borussia Dortmund impacts his team's chances of progressing to the Champions League round of 16.

Goals from Robert Lewandowski condemned Los Blancos to a 2-1 defeat and saw them replaced by the Bundesliga champions at the top of Group D, however the 49-year-old was adamant that it is not a huge blow to their ambitions.

"We lost the game, but it is not dramatic. We are in a serious group, it's no joke. It is not satisfying, but we are second," Mourinho said in his post-match press conference.

"We now have six points. We have two games at home and it is within our reach to get the points needed to make the round of 16.

"I told my players that they were going to score their goals on the counterattack, and so it happened. I knew they would only have spaces in the transition game.

"There was a lot of pressure and it was difficult to get a balance. There were few opportunities and little creation."

Ajax's triumph over Manchester City leaves the group wide open and so the visit of BVB to the Santiago Bernabeu in a fortnight could prove potentially decisive for Madrid.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City boss Mancini admits Ajax defeat was his fault

The Italian manager has taken the blame for his side's 3-1 loss in Amsterdam, after an ill-advised switched to three at the back prompted the hosts' third goal

Oct 24, 2012 9:47:00 PM

By Joe Doyle

221943hp2.jpg

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has insisted his side's 3-1 loss to Ajax in the Champions League on Wednesday night was his fault.

The English champions took the lead against the run of play in the first half through Samir Nasri, but were pegged back on the stroke of half-time by Siem de Jong.

Mancini decided to switch to a 3-5-2 formation early in the second half following Niklas Moisander's headed goal, but City conceded again 11 minutes later through Christian Eriksen's deflected shot.

"I think that [Ajax] played better than us," Mancini told Sky Sports. "They played better football. Probably it's my fault. I didn't prepare the players well for this game. I take the fault for this defeat.

"I [prepared] one way, it was different. For this reason [we lost]. [We didn't underestimate Ajax], but when you prepare a game, you think it could be one way, but it's a different game.

"I think that we had more chances to score, and in Champions League you need to score, when you don't play well. After Dortmund, I said [I knew what was wrong], but also we had a lot of players injured, but it's my fault and I take all this."

However, Mancini refuted the suggestion that his tactical approach was to blame for the defeat, stating that his only ploy is to "run and score".

He added: "We changed for five minutes when we wanted to have one player in the hole. We changed only for five minutes, but on the pitch we are always 11 players.

"Before we conceded two goals. I don't think this is important. Three, four, five, six, seven. If someone wants to make this excuse, OK, but this is not important. When you play you should be strong: the tactic is one - run and score."

The 47-year-old went on to concede that City now face an uphill battle to qualify for the competition's knockout stages.

He continued: "I think that it is difficult [to qualify], very difficult. There are one team with seven [points], one with six, one with three. It should be a marathon like last year.

"I don't think [it will be difficult to recover]. We play football, we can play bad game like tonight, we can lose the game, but the season is long."