• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

U see...Sinki is very fortunate, TW has alot Depression Youth JLB at home

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asi...truggle-low-wages-high-housing-prices-4294441

Logo
Best News Website or Mobile Service

‘I lost all hope’: Taiwanese youth struggle with depression amid low wages, high housing prices​

In 2023, the number of Taiwanese under the age of 30 who were taking medication for depression symptoms doubled from a decade ago.

TAIPEI: While most college students fill their time with classes and partying, Mr Wu Yi-fan was going through the darkest moment of his life.

The 21-year-old felt constantly lost and helpless. Things that he used to be attracted to had lost their appeal, and nothing was worth pursuing anymore.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn’t want to do anything. I felt a lot of emotional pain. I felt I was in a really terrible condition,” he told CNA. “I lost all hope. I felt that I will never be successful no matter what I do."

He could not put a name to what he was feeling until he sought medical help and was diagnosed with depression.

“I … internalised those expectations (of my parents and society), that I needed to be successful so that people would look up to me, that I had to make a lot of money and be powerful, so that I would live a good life."

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Experts say low wages and high property prices are among factors contributing to the decline of mental health among young Taiwanese. Many do not think they can afford to buy a home, let alone have a family – leading them to think they have no future.

Last year, more than 215,000 Taiwanese under the age of 30 took medication for depression symptoms – over double the number recorded a decade ago.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, the number of people living with the condition is likely much higher. According to some studies, less than 30 per cent of people with depression seek medical attention.

The Guardian newspaper reported that between 2014 and 2022, the suicide rate among Taiwanese aged 15 to 24 more than doubled, even as the overall rate declined.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

SOCIAL MEDIA PLAYS A PART​

Taiwanese social enterprise Teacher Chang Foundation, which offers mental health counselling, said about a quarter of those reaching out to its counsellors are below 30 years old.

The chairwoman of its Taipei branch, Ms Liu Su Fang, said her young clients often express doubts about whether their job will lead to good prospects, or if they will be able to attain a steady income and stable livelihood.

“Some even worry whether they would be able to afford a home, or have a family,” Ms Liu said.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another non-profit organisation John Tung Foundation said the prolonged use of social media has contributed to low self-esteem among young people and made them more susceptible to symptoms of depression.

Our study shows that those who spend more than six hours a day on the internet, their depressed level would be higher than other young people,” said the foundation’s mental health centre director Yeh Ya Hsing.

“One reason is because when you’re on social media, you are more prone to make comparisons such as: Why is everyone so

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same for most sinkees.No incentive to work hard or jobless. Just lie flat and wait for time to pass by. 555

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's caused by Pua Chee Bai CCP China who keeps blocking their trade routes due to their ranjao 'One-China' policy and opportunities, else TW could have much greater economic growth and even surpassed S'pore without need to import CECAs and PMET FTs and sell backside.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
think about it....after so much TW $$$$$ into Tiongkok, do u think CCP will allow anymore outflow????
It's caused by Pua Chee Bai CCP China who keeps blocking their trade routes due to their ranjao 'One-China' policy and opportunities, else TW could have much greater economic growth and even surpassed S'pore without need to import CECAs and PMET FTs and sell backside.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Out of 10 sinki youths, 6 are duds. DUDS don't feel depressed cos they have no self awareness.
Young ones are dreaming on how to marry a White Horse Prince or Rich Man Dotters..but they forgot how long their face is....u see instragram, u know liao

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many sinki are Toto Expert and Pigeon Hole Flippers...all huat big big lah
Many sinkees realised too late no point studying hard and working work.They cannot catch up with the high costs of living cos the miw keep continuing to open the gates to flood red dot with foreigners to sustain and boost the annual GDP growth rates to justify their annual multi million dollar salaries.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many sinkees realised too late no point studying hard and working work.They cannot catch up with the high costs of living cos the miw keep continuing to open the gates to flood red dot with foreigners to sustain and boost the annual GDP growth rates to justify their annual multi million dollar salaries.
AI and Robotics coming online soon...less and less human are needed in the production value chain

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cost is only a way "regulate" distribution of goods and services for "serf" aka common people