• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Two blasts at Boston marathon kill three and injure more than 100

MrBlueSky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boston Marathon bombing suspect partied with pals after attack

By MATT NESTEL, LARRY CELONA and KATE SHEEHY
Last Updated: 11:58 AM, April 20, 2013
Posted: 12:57 AM, April 20, 2013

He didn’t have a care in the world.

Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev spent the two days after the horrific attack tweeting out rap lyrics and partying with his pals.

Tsarnaev, 19, kicked back at an intramural soccer party at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth Wednesday, clearly confident that he and his older brother would get away with the marathon massacre.

“He was just relaxed,’’ a woman told the Boston Globe.

Electronic card swipes on campus show that before partying, the young killer — who was finally nabbed last night — had treated Wednesday like any other day, including putting in a workout at the gym, the Globe said.

dzhokhar_tsarnaev--300x300.jpg

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

The 9/11 denier slept in his single-unit dorm room that night — as hundreds of law-enforcement officials were looking for him.

Before heading to the party, Tsarnaev sickeningly tweeted, “I’m a stress-free kind of guy.’’

It was bizarre behavior for a killer — or maybe not.

Tsarnaev had become a US citizen on Sept. 11, 2012 — and couldn’t even wait a year to repay his adopted country in blood.

His father said his son, who emigrated as a child with his family in 2003, was in his second year of pre-med at the university.

Tsarnaev clearly had the brains to make it through a tough major, as well as plenty of good looks and athleticism.

He had been one 45 high-school seniors to receive a $2,500 scholarship from the city of Cambridge in 2011.

Before graduation, the 178-pound wrestler also had won the honor of student athlete of the month and been named to the Greater Boston League Winter All-Star team in 2011.

In his free time, he skateboarded and worked on cars with his older brother, Tamerlan, and their mechanic dad, a neighbor said.

“The younger one was a good kid. There’s nothing bad to say about him. They seemed all-American,” barber Troy Aiguier told The Post.

Another acquaintance told The Post, “A friend of mine wrestled with him and thought he was pretty much a normal guy. That’s what everyone who knows him says. He seemed normal. Everyone is just shocked.”

But under the tutelage of his older brother, Tsarnaev’s dark side was emerging, kin said.

“I used to warn Dzhokhar that Tamerlan was up to no good,” cousin Zaur Tsarnaev told the Globe from the Russian city of Makhachkala.

While Dzhokhar had previously posted “career and money’’ as interests on Facebook, the content on his page began increasingly turning religious — and politically against the United States.

On Sept. 1, 2012, he posted on Facebook: ‘Idk [I don’t know] why it’s hard for many of you to accept that 9/11 was an inside job, I mean I guess f--k the facts y’all are some real #patriots #gethip.”

In March, he also mocked the day, posting, “September 10th baby, you know what tomorrow is. Party at my house! #thingsyoudontyellwhenenteringaroom.”

Tsarnaev posted that he “liked’’ the link to an article about Russia banning US adoptions.

He also posted a photo of a bloody child in Syria with the caption, “You don’t care because I’m not your child.”

Hours after the deadly bombing, he returned to his favorite social-media site, tweeting, “Ain’t no love in the heart of the city, stay safe people,” a reference to a Jay-Z lyric.

Additional reporting by Jennifer Bain in Boston and Jennifer Gould Keil in New York

MrBlueSky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

‘Bomb’ cleric fanned flames

Posted YouTube Islam hate rant

By RITA DELFINER
Last Updated: 9:40 AM, April 20, 2013
Posted: 1:10 AM, April 20, 2013

A radical Australian Muslim cleric who despises Harry Potter and preaches that rape victims only have themselves to blame had a fan in the Boston bombing suspect killed in a shootout with police.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, posted a YouTube video of fiery Sheik Feiz Mohammad, who had encouraged children to become martyrs for Islam, it was reported yesterday.

In 2007, a British documentary called “Undercover Mosque” showed footage of him saying children should be “soldiers defending Islam.’’

He said, “Teach them this: There is nothing more beloved to me than wanting to die as a mujahid. Put in their soft, tender hearts the zeal of jihad and a love of martyrdom.’’

20.1n008.cleric--300x300.jpg

UNHOLY MAN: Australian extremist Sheik Feiz Mohammad has said there is “nothing more beloved” than wanting to die for Islam.

That year, Australian authorities looked into whether his lectures could be prosecuted for inciting violence, after the British show claimed that children were selling DVDs of his preachings in a mosque parking lot, Fox News reported.

Mohammad also spoke out against Jews, calling them “pigs’’ who “have got the most extreme racial pride in them.’’

He later apologized for the remarks.

In the rage-filled rant against Harry Potter, Mohammad said he had visited a house where six Muslim children were watching a Potter movie with their father’s approval.

“How can you allow your children to watch this?’’ the cleric thundered. “This film . . . glorifies, magnifies, promotes paganism . . . promotes evil.’’

“What does Harry Potter do and his devilish schoolmates, what do they do other than cast spells, learn magic, brew potions, learn how to tell the future.’’

The bombing suspect and the controversial sheik had at least one thing in common — both were boxers.

Born in Sydney in 1970 or 1971, Mohammad was a youthful boxer and also a teenage bodybuilder and horse trainer. He may have used drugs before he found religion and studied Islamic law in Saudi Arabia, ibtimes.co.uk reported.

He returned to Australia, founded the Global Islamic Youth Center and became a rising radical star.

In 2005, in a sermon about rape, the cleric told an audience that a victim has “no one to blame but herself. She displayed her beauty to the entire world.

“Strapless, backless, sleeveless, showing their legs, nothing but satanic skirts, slit skirts, translucent blouses, miniskirts, tight jeans: all this to tease man and appeal to his carnal nature.’’

It’s not known if the hardliner has any links to al Qaeda, but he has put sermons from its spiritual leader, Anwar al-Awlaki on his Web site, ibtimes.co.uk said.

His parents had emigrated from Lebanon, and Mohammad fled there in 2005 after what he called his “passionate’’ preaching stirred up controversy.

No one seems to know where he is now — although there are suggestions he might be in Malaysia or even back in Australia.

Regardless of his whereabouts, Mohammad continued to preach.

In 2010 he called a Dutch politician who opposed the Islamization of Holland “evil filth’’ and said, “Anyone who mocks our learning, laughs at the Islam and degrades it must enter death — decapitate him, cut off his head.’’

At one point Mohammad insisted he was misunderstood.

“I’m a passionate speaker, and that passion does not mean that I am a violent person, or that I am a hater,’’ he said.

With Post Wire Services

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Infrared cameras catch bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding in boat, moments before capture

POST STAFF REPORT
From WITH AP
Last Updated: 2:25 AM, April 21, 2013
Posted: 4:49 PM, April 20, 2013

519081640161941--525x350.jpg

This infrared image released by the Massachusetts State Police Air Wing shows the boat and Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev just before his capture yesterday.

He could run, but he couldn't hide.

Massachusetts state police Saturday released infrared images they used to spot Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as he hid under a boat cover during yesterday's massive manhunt in Watertown.

The cameras used by the Air Wing allowed cops to keep their eyes on Tsarnaev at all times as they closed in on the 19-year-old, accused in the deadly bomb attack in Boston that killed three and wounded more than 180 others just days earlier.

Video from the aerial search later emerged on YouTube.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_ztMtty9fY?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Tsarnaev, 19, was reported to be in no condition to be interrogated the morning after he was pulled, wounded and bloody, from a tarp-covered boat in a Watertown backyard. The capture came at the end of a tense day that began with his older brother, Tamerlan, dying in a desperate getaway attempt.

The all-day manhunt Friday brought the Boston area to a near standstill and put people on edge across the metropolitan area.

The break came around nightfall when a homeowner in Watertown saw blood on his boat, pulled back the tarp and saw a bloody Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding inside, police said. After an exchange of gunfire, he was seized and taken away in an ambulance.

The pair of bomb blasts near the marathon's finish line killed an 8-year-old boy, Martin Richard, Krystle Campbell, 29, and Lu Lingzi, 23. More than 180 people were injured, including some who lost legs in the attack.

Tsarnaev allagedly carried out the bomb attacks with his older brother, Tamerlan, who was killed by police during a desperate getaway attempt earlier that day.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has not yet been charged.

The Obama administration has indicated it intends to move quickly to build a criminal case against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. But investigators plan to first question him without informing him of his legal rights to remain silent and have an attorney present.

Several Republican lawmakers on Saturday criticized the administration's approach because they said it would afford Tsarnaev more rights than he deserves. The federal public defender for Massachusetts called for the quick appointment of a lawyer to represent Tsarnaev because of serious issues involving his interrogation in the absence of a lawyer.

519081642161943--525x300.jpg

AFP/Getty Images

This photo taken by the Air Wing shows a police vehicle using a boom to inspect the boat in which Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hid.

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Republican senators urge Obama to hold Boston bombing suspect as enemy combatant

From FOX NEWS
Last Updated: 4:01 PM, April 20, 2013
Posted: 2:37 PM, April 20, 2013
AP

tsarnaev--525x400.jpg

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

Top Republican senators urged President Obama on Saturday to hold the suspect captured in the Boston Marathon bombing as a potential enemy combatant -- denying him a government-appointed attorney and other legal rights under the “Law of War” so investigators can learn about other possible attacks.

After his capture Friday, bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was not read his Miranda rights, which essentially state those arrested have a constitutional right to be told information they give to officials can be used against them.

However, the public safety exception that allows suspects to be questioned without being read those rights expires 48 hours after the arrest.

“The events we have seen over the past few days in Boston were an attempt to kill American citizens and terrorize a major American city,” Sens. Lindsey Graham, South Carolina; John McCain, Arizona; and Kelly Ayotte, New Hampshire, said. “The suspect, based upon his actions, clearly is a good candidate for enemy combatant status. We do not want this suspect to remain silent.”

They were joined in the statement by New York Republican Rep. Peter King.

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Support to Replace Boat Ruined in Bomber Standoff

By CHRISTINA NG | Good Morning America – 12 hours ago

ht_bing_map_circled_watertown_kb_130419_wmain.jpg

Support to Replace Boat Ruined in Bomber Standoff (ABC News)

America wants to help David Henneberry get a new boat.

The Watertown, Mass., resident became a hero when he discovered suspected Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding in his backyard boat.

Henneberry quickly called the cops and in a final standoff, his boat was riddled with bullet holes.

"That boat's his baby. He takes care of it like you wouldn't believe. And they told him it's all shot up," Henneberry's friend and neighbor George Pizzuto told ABC News. "He's going to be heartbroken."

Today, people around the country want to make help mend that broken heart.

david-henneberry-finds-bombing-suspect-in-his-boat-and-calls-911.-he-is-a-hero..jpg

David Henneberry

Deborah Newberry, 62, of Orlando, Fla., has already put a $25 check in the mail to Henneberry's home.

"Something told him to go and check things," Newberry told ABCNews.com. "I just want him to know that people care about him because I know he's probably the guy that would say, 'Well, that's okay.' But I just would like him to know that we're all thinking about him and appreciate his spirit."

She believes Henneberry had to be "awfully, awfully cool" to emerge from a daylong lockdown, notice something wrong with his boat, find a bloody man in it and slip away to call police.

"Just listening to his coolness and how he handled the situation, it was like okay, that is a man who needs to have his boat restored," Newberry said.

When asked if she sent Henneberry any note with the check Newberry said no, she simply wrote, "towards a new boat" on the check.

"He don't know me from Joe Turkey," she said with a laugh. "I want him to go back to his regular little things that he do and don't have to worry about having a boat."

Florida lawyer John Phillips felt the same way.

"[The boat] is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but that's what's significant to him," Phillips told ABCNews.com of the bullet-riddled boat. "If that's what the guy's passion is, I have no problem whatsoever chipping in and helping out."

Phillips, 38, is a personal injury attorney in Jacksonville, Fla. He wants to send Henneberry $1,000 for a new boat since he predicts the boat will be held as evidence for some time.

"He just had his boat shot up and had a terrorist live in it for a day," Phillips said. "If the dude wants an upgraded boat, let's get the guy a boat without terrorist blood in it."

Watertown Police Chief Edward Deveau has been inundated with messages of gratitude and praise as well as requests from people who want to know how they can get a Watertown Police T-shirt.

"I'm getting emails and things from all over the world," Deveau told ABC News. "I got an email this morning. Some person in Detroit, Michigan who wants to replace the boat for the Watertown resident that got shot up. I mean, it's just incredible."

People on Twitter are echoing the calls to help Henneberry, hailing him a hero.

"Bravo, David Henneberry! You are a true American hero. I say we all pitch in and buy you a new boat. #welldeserved," one person tweeted.

Another wrote, "Some boat company needs to hook David Henneberry up with a new boat. His has a few holes in it. Holey #boats don't float."

Henneberry's boat is reportedly a 22-foot Seahawk cruiser with a fiberglass hull, which retails for around $50,000.

He did not return ABC News' request for a comment.

"It took more than the police department to get it done and that's the American spirit to me," Phillips said. "It's one random guy and one random boat ironically in a town named Watertown that's supposedly landlocked. Truth is stranger than fiction. You couldn't write this stuff and be believable."

MrBlueSky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boston bomb suspect cannot speak as doctors treat throat wounds

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston bombing suspect, remains unable to speak as he undergoes treatment for a gunshot wound to the throat in hospital, officials have said as inquiries focus on what turned two young men into Islamic terrorists.

Dzhokhar_2542241b.jpg

ATF and FBI agents check suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for explosives and give him medical attention after he was apprehended in Watertown, Massachusetts. Photo: AP

By Damien McElroy, and Philip Sherwell and Nick Allen
11:39AM BST 21 Apr 2013

The 19-year-old is "serious but stable. I think not able to communicate yet," Deval Patrick, the Massachusetts governor said after attending a tribute to the victims of Monday's bomb attacks that left three dead and about 180 injured.

CBS television quoted investigators as saying that Tsarnaev suffered two serious wounds and had lost a lot of blood. It said investigators had speculated that one wound in the back of his neck could have been a suicide attempt.

"They say it appears from the wound that he might have stuck a gun in his mouth and fired," said the report, which added that Tsarnaev could understand what those around him were saying.

Tsarnaev was detained on Friday. His elder brother Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with police earlier in the day during a massive manhunt.

Gov Patrick said he hopes the teenaged suspect survives. "We have a million questions and those questions need to be answered," he added.

The American Civil Liberties Union and a federal public defender raised concerns about investigators' plan to question Tsarnaev without reading him his rights.

ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero said a legal emergency exception applies only when there is a continued threat to public safety and is "not an open-ended exception" to the Miranda rule, which guarantees the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney.

The FBI confirmed yesterday it had interviewed Tamerlan in 2011, at the request of an unidentified foreign government — later reported to be Russia — over suspected ties to an extremist group.

The questioning did not produce any “derogatory” information and the matter was put “to bed,” a US law enforcement source said.

The FBI’s contact with Tamerlan was described as “a sit-down interview where they asked him questions about contacts and surroundings”.

They are also likely to have conducted a standard background check on him, running his name through databases, checking on his communications and any overseas travel.

The FBI said in a statement: “The request stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups.”

The matter was not pursued further, however, because interviews with Tamerlan and family members “did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign”.

Michael McCaul, the Republican chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said: “It’s new information to me and it’s very disturbing that he’s on the FBI radar screen.”

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva said: “They [the FBI] used to come [to our] home, they used to talk to me. They were telling me that he [Tamerlan] was really an extremist leader and that they were afraid of him. They told me whatever information he is getting, he gets from these extremist sites.

“They were controlling him, they were controlling his every step and now they say that this is a terrorist act. Never, ever is this true, my sons are innocent.” She added: “I am 100 per cent sure that this is a set-up. It’s impossible for both of them to do those things. If there was anyone who would know, it would be me.”

Dzhokhar’s capture triggered jubilant scenes across Boston and brought to an end a five-day drama in which police imposed an unprecedented lockdown across the city.

It also emerged on Saturday that Tamerlan’s wife was a Muslim convert from a middle-class Boston family.

Katherine Russell, 24, converted to Islam three years ago, after meeting Tamerlan and giving birth to their daughter Zahara. She was described by neighbours as an “all-American girl”. Dzhokhar, 19, was on Saturday night being treated for “serious but not life-threatening” injuries at a hospital in Boston. He suffered a severe loss of blood and was said to be too ill to talk to police about the motive for the attack.

The US Justice Department said on Saturday that Dzhokhar would not initially be read his rights, under a rare public safety exemption that allows officials to interrogate him and submit his statement in court without prior legal warning. An official said Dzhokhar could face a range of charges, including the use of weapons of mass destruction for his part in the detonation of a bomb. That charge carries a maximum penalty of death.

While Massachusetts has outlawed the death penalty, federal law allows it.

The brothers, ethnic Chechens who were apparently well integrated into US society, are suspected of having set off two bombs in pressure cookers packed with ball bearings and nails at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring nearly 180 more.

Among those who died was eight-year-old Martin Richard, whose family welcomed Dzhokhar’s capture. In a statement they said: “Tonight, our community is once again safe from these two men.”

However, further questions were raised when it was reported that Tamerlan left the US in January 2012 to travel to Russia, returning in mid-July.

An official at the Department of Homeland Security said he was on the “radar screen” of agents in Boston from when he returned to the US to the end of autumn.

The suspects’ father, Anzor Tsarnaev, who lives in the Russian republic of Dagestan, also said the FBI had been watching his family and visited the brothers’ home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, five times, most recently 18 months ago, looking for Tamerlan. “They said there were doing preventive work. They were afraid there might be some explosions on the streets of Boston,” he said.

Tamerlan was allegedly one of a number of young Muslim men who were feared to have become radicalised at one of the city’s mosques.

National security and law enforcement authorities had said earlier that they had not turned up any evidence that the Tsarnaev brothers had contacts with al-Qaeda or other militants overseas.

On Saturday night, FBI agents led a woman wearing a hijab away from the apartment where the brothers had lived in Boston. One television channel said the woman was Tamerlan’s wife, although a neighbour said it was another relation.

Speaking after Dzhokhar’s capture, President Obama said there were still many unanswered questions. “Among them, why did young men who grew up and studied here as part of our communities and our country resort to such violence?” He said the families of those killed deserve answers.

According to the Boston Globe, Dzhokhar attended a soccer party on Wednesday at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, where other guests described him as looking relaxed.

While Tamerlan had a Green Card but was not a US citizen, Dzhokhar became a naturalised citizen during a ceremony on Sept 11 last year.

In announcing his arrest, Boston police posted a notice on Twitter at 1.30am GMT on Friday, stating: “Captured!!! The hunt is over.”

A Syrian government-backed group was accused of hacking various US accounts to send messages alleging that Barack Obama was covering up a government conspiracy. Tweets coming from CBS News were suspended after the 60 Minutes account claimed the US government was "hiding the real culprit of the Boston bombing."

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Older brother called his mother before shootout

Date April 22, 2013 - 2:02PM

article-2311580-1964E6A7000005DC-837_634x591.jpg

Wounded Boston suspect answering questions in writing
The only surviving suspect in the Boston marathon bombings investigation is reportedly answering authorities' questions in writing, but police may never be able to interview him verbally as he may be too injured to speak.

• After the blasts, suspect worked out, then went partying
  • Boat owner in hiding as quiet street makes terrorism history
  • A city gripped by five days of fear

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of the two brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombings, called his mother Thursday morning, hours before being killed in a shootout with police, and told her he had received a call from the FBI, she said.

"My daughter Bella called me and said, 'Mama, turn on the television' ... Now I live with the television turned on at all times"

"He would call me every day from America in the last days," Zubeidat Tsarnaev said on Sunday in a telephone interview from her home in the Russian republic of Dagestan, "and during our last conversation on the morning (before the shootout), he was especially touching and tender and alarmed at the same time," she said. "He said he got a private phone call from [the FBI] and said that they told him he was under suspicion and should come see them.

art-boston7-620x349.jpg

Culprits: Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, left, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19. Photo: AP

"'If you need me, you will find me,' he said, and hung up," she said, beginning to sob. "You know the FBI followed him for several years and when he got back from Dagestan last year they called him and asked him what was the purpose of his visit to his homeland."

Mike Rogers, a Republican congressman from Michigan, is a former FBI agent. He said on Sunday that the FBI had done "a very thorough job" of vetting Tamerlan Tsarnaev after the Russian intelligence service flagged him in early 2011 as a possible Islamic radical. Rogers said he didn't think the bureau had missed anything significant.

In her remarks, the suspects' mother focused primarily on her older son, but also mentioned the younger brother, Dzhokhar, who was badly wounded in the shootout and was captured by police later on Friday, hiding in a boat in suburban Watertown. He remains in hospital and in police custody.

lat-tam-mother-mn-20130422124425656550-300x0.jpg

"He wanted to be among his people, among his relatives, close to his roots": Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, the mother of Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

"When [Tamerlan] talked to me that last time, Dzhokhar was in his house too, and he said he would give him a lift home," their mother said. "And then the next day my daughter Bella called me and said, 'Mama, turn on the television' ... Now I live with the television turned on at all times," she said, crying again.

Zubeidat Tsarnaev said she and her husband are planning to go to the US to clear their sons' names. She said her husband's brother "is a lawyer with a big oil company and he said that he will help us find a good lawyer for Dzhokhar".

She said that in recent months, Tamerlan had told her on the phone several times that while he loved and enjoyed America, he wanted to move back to Dagestan and had persuaded his wife, who is American, to move back with him and their daughter.

"He wanted to be among his people, among his relatives, close to his roots," she said, sobbing.

The Tsarnaevs are ethnic Chechens from the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan. In 1992 they moved to their historic homeland of Chechnya, a restive region of southern Russia, but in 1994 the first war between Moscow and the regional separatists broke out. The Tsarnaevs moved back to Kyrgyzstan and from there in 1999 to neighbouring Dagestan. In 2002 they immigrated to the US. The parents returned to Dagestan a year ago while their sons and two daughters remained in the US.

An Islamic militant group in Dagestan issued a statement on Sunday distancing itself from the marathon bombing.

"The Caucasian mujahideen are not fighting against the United States of America," the group, called the Caucasus Emirate, said in its statement. "We are at war with Russia, which is not only responsible for the occupation of the Caucasus, but also for heinous crimes against Muslims."

Experts and rights activists in Moscow agreed that taking the war of terror across the ocean to the US doesn't help the cause of Russian radical Islamists, despite their routine anti-American rhetoric.

"I think we can trust this statement, because attacking the US is not in the interests of North Caucasus insurgents," Tatiana Kasatkina, executive director of Memorial, a Moscow-based human rights group that monitors events in the troubled region. "The United States doesn't support Russia in this regional conflict and more than that, it regularly criticises the Russian leadership for violations of human rights in the course of this conflict."

Los Angeles Times

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boat owner in hiding as quiet street makes terrorism history

Date April 22, 2013 - 11:47AM

lat-boat-m-20130422114109599658-620x349.jpg

Crime scene: Dave Henneberry's Franklin Street house has become a major attraction after its role in the capture of terrorism suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Photo: Getty Images/AFP

A 1980s boat riddled with bullet holes and smeared with blood has become a major attraction as Boston recovers from the trauma of the deadly bomb attack on its marathon.

Freed from a police order to stay in their homes, people from Watertown and further afar want to see where marathon bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hid and was caught.

They have been heading for Dave Henneberry's house on Franklin Street. Television crews from around the world, tourists and onlookers have been pressing against the yellow tape proclaiming "Police Line Do Not Cross" which bars access.

lat-boat-m-20130422113837690175-620x349.jpg

"All shot up": Investigators work around Dave Henneberry's boat, which was badly damaged after Dzhokhar Tsarnaev used it as a hiding spot in the massive manhunt. Photo: Getty Images/AFP

Henneberry has gone into hiding and the boat he is so proud of is being kept under wraps by police as they collect evidence against Tsarnaev.

Neighbour George Pizzuto said that Henneberry was "in shock" and "totally distraught" at the events of Friday night.

Henneberry left his house when police hunting Tsarnaev ended a stay-at-home order which affected hundreds of thousands of people in the Boston region.

"He looked and noticed something was off about his boat, so he got his ladder, and he put his ladder up on the side of the boat and climbed up," Pizzuto told ABC News. "And then he saw blood on it, and he thought he saw what was a body laying in the boat. So he got out of the boat fast and called police."

The rest is terrorism history.

Tsarnaev surrendered after a gunbattle and tense negotiations. The teenager accused of planting bombs which killed three people and wounded about 180 is now in hospital. His brother died in an another gunbattle in a nearby street that has also become a draw for the curious.

The local Fox 25 television channel showed a picture of the boat with dozens of bullet holes and blood smeared on the side.

Dave Lawrence came to Boston from New York for a convention. "I just had to come here. This man is a hero for what he did. I would like to shake his hand," Lawrence said.

Watertown resident Greg Turner was out jogging and decided to divert to Franklin Street. "The bombs were already shocking. But what has happened here is unbelievable," he said as a police officer tried to keep crowds from getting into the normally quiet street of white wooden homes.

Other neighbours came out onto the street to tell their stories, a kind of catharsis from the bloodshed.

"We looked out the window and down in our driveway and realised there was a SWAT team in our driveway with their guns pointed," said Rebecca Heavey, whose home in Birch Road is at the back of Henneberry's.

"All of a sudden shots were fired and we just hit the ground and didn't know what was happening," she added.

"I looked out the window, I saw police on top of our car, well on top of my car holding their guns over it taking cover behind it. Then the police officer saw us in the window and told us to grab our shoes and run, and so that's what we did. It was just terrifying."

Heavey had spoken with her mother by phone earlier saying how much she wanted Boston's nightmare to end. "And to know he was hiding out here not even five hours later is just – it's chilling and it's frightening and I still feel very shaky and weak."

Henneberry may be a hero but he is not happy about the damage to his prized boat.

"That boat's his baby. He takes care of it like you wouldn't believe. And they told him it's all shot up," Pizzuto said. "He's going to be heartbroken."

A Facebook campaign has already been launched to help Henneberry buy a new boat.

AFP

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sad wife of slain Boston bombing suspect returns home

By JENNIFER BAIN in Cambridge, Mass., and KATE KOWSH in North Kingstown, RI

Last Updated: 11:34 AM, April 21, 2013
Posted: 1:03 AM, April 21, 2013

21.1n004.BomberWife--525x615.jpg

CHECH MATE: Katherine Russell, wife of killed Tamerlan Tsarnaev, converted for the killer.

The weeping bride of the elder Boston bomber returned to the family’s Cambridge home yesterday, a day after her twisted husband died in a shootout with police.

Katherine Russell, 24, who converted to Islam for jihadist hubby Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, covered her head with a leopard-print hijab and nervously shouted for the landlord when she couldn’t get in the door.

“Joanna,” she screamed.

The woman frantically pounded on the door until she was let into the three-story colonial on Norfolk Street.

Her daughter with Tsarnaev, 3-year-old Zahara, waited inside a white Volvo with an unidentified woman.

“The mother and baby didn’t do anything,” neighbor Harvey Smith told The Post. Smith said his roommate helped her pack some belongings.

“She came to get her cat also,” he added. “I heard the cat crying.”

She left the home after a few minutes carrying her pet cat, a shopping bag and a duffel bag.

The Tsarnaev family moved into the quaint, white-shingled home around 2002 or 2003, Smith said.

Tamerlan and brother Dzhokhar continued to live there after their parents moved back to Russia.

“I would see her more than him,” he said. “She would be out in the yard playing with her child.”

At her family’s home on Coriander Lane in North Kingstown, RI, neighbors said Katherine was quiet and polite — though her drastic wardrobe change shocked them.

“Last fall, I saw her outside, and she was in full Muslim [dress]. It just got my attention,” said Karen Mather, 41.

Russell, raised a Christian, began shrouding herself in Muslim garb after leaving Suffolk University in 2010, a neighbor said.

Additional reporting by Candice M. Giove in New York

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boston marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev 'awake and responding'

The 19-year-old suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, who was seriously wounded and unable to speak, is reportedly awake and responding in writing to questions from authorities.

Dzhokhar-ambulance_2542503b.jpg

Police are unsure whether they inflicted the throat wound or if Dzhokhar shot himself while hiding in the boat Photo: AP

By Nick Allen, Boston
4:21AM BST 22 Apr 2013

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is under guard and handcuffed to the bed in a hospital in Boston and cannot talk due to a gunshot wound to the throat.

The authorities had expressed fears that his injuries meant he might never be able to answer their questions, but ABC and NBC reported that he had started responding sporadically in writing. USA Today also cited a law enforcement official as saying he was awake and responding, but the reports have not been officially confirmed.

Investigators are hoping he will be able to shed light on why the pair attacked the Boston Marathon. They have reportedly asked him about the possibility that other cell members might exist and for information on any unexploded bombs.

Police are unsure whether they inflicted the throat wound or if Dzhokhar shot himself by putting a gun in his mouth as he hid in a boat in a suburban garden during a day-long manhunt.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said: "It's hard to know how he received that injury. That's being looked into." He also suffered a gunshot in the leg.

While police wait for Dzhokhar to talk, federal prosecutors are preparing charges against him. If he is charged with using a weapon of mass destruction to kill people, he could face the death penalty.

Police said that Dzhokhar and his brother 26-year-old brother Tamerlan – who was killed in a shootout a day earlier – had been arming themselves for “further attacks” when they were found.

Edward Davis, the Boston police commissioner, said: “It’s my belief that they were already manufacturing explosive devices. Further violent acts were inevitable.”

Three people were killed and 180 were injured last Monday when two bombs exploded near the finishing of the Boston marathon last Monday.

Edward Deveau, the police chief in Watertown, where the brothers were caught, said that they acted alone. “I believe it is limited to the two brothers,” he said. “As far as this little cell, this little group, goes, I think we got our guys.”

Chief Deveau also disclosed dramatic details of the shoot-out, in which Tamerlan was killed, and revealed how, in the chaos, his death was caused by Dzhokhar.

A single officer was first to encounter the fugitives at 12.30am local time on Friday in a residential street in Watertown, a suburb of Boston.

They were in two separate vehicles, including a four-wheel-drive Mercedes they had carjacked.

Chief Deveau said: “They jump out of the cars and unload on our police officer. They both came out shooting. Shooting guns, handguns. He’s under direct fire, very close by.

“He has to jam it in reverse and try to get himself a little distance.”

As five other officers arrived, 200 shots were fired in 10 minutes. One of the brothers threw exploding devices including a pressure cooker bomb which landed on a car.

Tamerlan then broke cover and walked directly at officers firing a gun. The police chief said: “They were having a gunfight 10 feet apart. And then for us, thank God, he ran out of ammunition. He runs out of ammunition, the bad guy, and so one of my police officers comes off the side and tackles him in the street.”

As they tried to handcuff him, Dzhokhar drove the Mercedes straight at them but missed the police, hitting his own brother and dragging him 20ft before racing off.

Chief Deveau said: “The officers dive out of the way and he (Dzhokhar) drives over his brother and drags him a short distance down the street.”

Doctors said Tamerlan had injuries “head to toe”. There were so many they did not know which one had killed him.

The brothers were found to have had six improvised explosive devices including a satchel bomb, handguns, a rifle, 250 rounds of ammunition, and home-made grenades.

Dzhokhar dumped the Mercedes a few streets away.

Nineteen hours later, he was found bloodied and hiding underneath a tarpaulin in the boat in the back yard of David Henneberry’s home.

Stark images from a thermal imaging camera on a helicopter showed him lying inside the boat. Police used a robot to remove the tarpaulin and threw in flash bombs.

A negotiator on the second floor of the house, looking down on the boat, successfully talked Dzhokhar out after 30 minutes.

Over the weekend, it emerged that Tamerlan was married to Katherine Russell, 24, whose family lives in an upper middle-class neighbourhood in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, and they have a three-year-old baby. Her father is a casualty doctor.

In her high school year book she wrote that her ambitions were to go to college and join the Peace Corps. Neighbours said she had adopted Islamic dress a few years ago after studying at Suffolk University in Boston.

Tom Menino, the Boston mayor, said Dzhokhar may have been “brainwashed or manipulated” by his elder brother.

Worshippers at a mosque in Cambridge Massachusetts described how Tamerlan stood up and began shouting at the imam during a prayer service three months ago.

The imam had mention Martin Luther King Jr and Tamerlan shouted: “You cannot mention this guy because he’s not a Muslim.” One worshipper said he was “crazy” and had “an anger inside”.

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boston bomber: FBI 'dropped the ball' over Tamerlan Tsarnaev

The FBI was alerted by Russia's security services to serious new concerns about one of the Boston bomb suspects as recently as last November, it was claimed on Sunday night.

Tamerlan_2542285b.jpg

Boston marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s application for US citizenship was reportedly rejected after US officials carried out a background check that showed he had been interviewed in 2011 by the FBI. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Peter Foster, US Editor
7:30PM BST 21 Apr 2013

As the agency was accused of "dropping the ball" over the case, NBC News reported that Tamerlan Tsarnaev had been seen making six visits to a known Islamic militant in a mosque in the Russian republic of Dagestan.

The visits came during a six month trip that Tamerlan made to the city of Makhachkala to see his family, NBC said.

According to a local police official, a case file on Tsarnaev was then handed over to the FBI along with a request for further information. However, the FBI never replied.

The agency has already admitted that it interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011 after Russia raised concerns that he was becoming a follower of radical Islam, but found nothing "derogatory" against him and did not pursue the case further.

The 26-year-old, who allegedly orchestrated last Monday's bombings with his younger brother Dzhokhar, was killed in the early hours of Friday morning in a shootout with police. It came just hours after police released images of the pair to the public.

In a further twist, Channel 4 News claimed on Sunday that Tamerlan had phoned home in the wake of the bombings and told his mother that the FBI had already called him to accuse him of being responsible.

According to the report, Tamerlan telephoned his mother on Wednesday last week and said he had replied to the FBI's accusations by saying: "That's your problem". The claims emerged from an interview with his father, Ansor.

The FBI declined to comment directly on either claim on Sunday.

However, if either is confirmed, they will add significant weight to the growing chorus of criticism of the FBI, which came on Sunday from senior members of Congress who accused the Bureau of repeatedly "dropping the ball".

Michael McCaul, the chair of House Homeland Security Committee, said the FBI must explain why it failed to keep track of Tsarnaev after the 2011 interview, particularly after he visited his family in Dagestan, which is a known centre of Islamist militancy and training facilities.

"If he [Tamerlan Tsarnaev] was on the radar and they let him go, if he was on the Russians' radar, why wasn't a flag put on him, some sort of customs flag?" Mr McCaul asked on CNN, adding that there were clear signs that Tsarnaev had been radicalized during his trip.

"One of the first things he does [upon his return] is puts up a YouTube website throwing out a lot of jihadist rhetoric. Clearly something happened, in my judgment, in that six-month timeframe – he radicalized at some point in time," Mr McCaul added. "Where was that and how did that happen?"

In a further sign that Tsarnaev's record was in the US security apparatus, the New York Times reported yesterday that a "hold" had been placed on his citizenship request by the Department of Homeland Security after routine background checks discovered the FBI's former interest in him.

The FBI has also not explained why it did not immediately retrieve the Tsarnaev file after the bombs exploded on Monday afternoon – an event which should have triggered routine checks on those suspected of involvement in with Islamist militant groups.

Even when three days later, when the FBI correctly identified the bombers after reviewing hours of the CCTV footage and public smartphone videos of the race, they failed to cross-reference the photograph with a man whose picture they already had on file.

When contacted by The Daily Telegraph to ask why Tamerlan's file had been overlooked in the aftermath of the bombings, the FBI said it would not comment on "operational matters".

While at pains to praise the bravery of police in the hunt for the bombers, which ended last Friday night with Tamerlan, 26, dead and his younger brother Dzhokhar, 19, in hospital in a 'serious' condition, senior politicians yesterday openly questioned the competence of the FBI.

"The ball was dropped in one of two ways," said senator Lindsey Graham on CNN warning that the FBI needed to improve its performance, "The FBI missed a lot of things, is one potential answer, or our laws do not allow the FBI to follow up in a sound solid way."

"It's people like this that you don't want to let out of your sight, and this was a mistake," he added. "Either our laws are insufficient or the FBI failed, but we're at war with radical Islamists and we need to up our game."

Another Republican, congressman Peter King, chairman of the House sub-committee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, was even more direct, accusing the FBI of having a track-record of failure in monitoring potential terror threats.

"This is at least the fifth case I'm aware of where the FBI has failed to stop someone," Mr King told Fox News, citing cases including that of Anwar al-Awlaki, who planned terrorist attacks as part of al Qaeda and Nidal Malik Hasan, who opened fire at Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009 killing 13 people.

"This is the latest in a series of cases like this...where the FBI is given information about someone as being a potential terrorist; they look at them, and then they don't take action, and then they go out and commit murders."

MrBlueSky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boston bomb suspect wakes up: 'Terrorist' conscious and answering FBI questions in writing as it is revealed he meekly lifted shirt when he climbed from boat to show police he wasn't strapped with explosives

• Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is responding sporadically in writing to questions from investigators regarding other cell members and other unexploded bombs
  • Teenager may have had no intention of being taken alive
  • Dzhokhar and his older brother Tamerlan may have had suicide pact to prevent them from being put on trial, police sources tell MailOnline
  • Condition downgraded to 'critical but stable' from initial reports that he was 'serious'
  • Tsarnaev had lost large amounts of blood by the time he was captured
  • Suffered a gunshot to the throat and a wound to his leg
  • Massachusetts Governor reveals video shows Tsarnaev planting second bomb at marathon
  • Police commissioner says suspects were planning another bomb attack when they were caught

By MICHAEL ZENNIE and PAUL THOMPSON IN BOSTON PUBLISHED: 14:21 GMT, 21 April 2013 | UPDATED: 07:05 GMT, 22 April 2013

Alleged Boston Marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is awake and responding to questions in his hospital bed.The 19-year-old is responding sporadically in writing to questions from investigators regarding other cell members and other unexploded bombs, law enforcement officials said. Agents are quizzing Tsarnaev about whether he had any accomplices who helped him carry out his attacks.

The news comes as it is revealed Tsarnaev, who is badly wounded in the throat, meekly pulled up his shirt to show officers that he was not wearing a vest strapped with explosives on Friday night as he emerged from the boat he had been cowering in.'At the end they were just making demands of him: Show your hands, lift your shirt. And eventually that's what he did,' Watertown Police Chief Edward Deveau told ABC News.

'He was very slow and lethargic in every move that he made and they could see that there was no device on his chest. They kept creeping closer to him and then they felt it safe enough to pull him away from the boat.' Authorities initially said they couldn't question the terror suspect because of his severe throat wound. Tsarnaev is believed to have shoved his pistol in his own mouth and pulled the trigger in a failed suicide attempt as SWAT officers and federal agents closed in on his backyard hiding place. However, instead of killing him, the bullet simply tore through his neck.CNN reported earlier today that Tsarnaev was 'intubated and sedated' at a Boston hospital.

article-2312486-19684B03000005DC-910_964x771.jpg

Wounded: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, seen here moments after he was pulled from the boat where he was hiding, suffered a throat wound and a leg wound

article-2312486-1967C1DF000005DC-407_964x706.jpg

Wounded: Tsarnaev was immediately loaded into an ambulance and rushed to the hospital, where he remains in serious condition

article-2312486-196C026A000005DC-61_964x578.jpg

Site: A blood stain can be seen on the boat where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found hiding after a massive manhunt that left the Boston area paralyzed in fear

article-2312486-196A7FAC000005DC-585_964x541.jpg

Hiding out: This is a surveillance video image of Tsarnaev getting out of the boat where he was pinned down on Friday night

The Boston police commissioner said Tsarnaev is in 'critical but stable' condition on Sunday - which appears to be a downgrade from reports earlier this weekend that his condition was only 'serious.'Boston Mayor Tom Menino had earlier feared that federal agents would never be able to interview Tsarnaev but it seems that investigators may already be making progress.

Police sources told MailOnline that investigators are looking into the possibility that Tsarnaev and his older brother Tamerlan had a suicide pact so that neither of them could be taken alive and put on trial. Authorities believe Dzhokhar likely killed him brother, who was handcuffed, when he ran over him.A suicide pact could also explain why 19-year-old Dzhokhar ran over his own brother in his stolen Mercedes SUV as he escaped from the scene, the sources added.

Tamerlan was killed early Friday after a running gun battle with police. Doctors say he appeared to have multiple gunshot wounds, blast injuries and major trauma from being hit and dragged by his brother's car. The new twist in the story of Tsarnaev's dramatic capture comes as the Boston police commissioner warns that he and Tamerlan were plotting more bomb attacks on the city and they were caught just in time. Authorities insisted that the pair were working alone.

Ed Davis said the bombers were flushed out of hiding when the FBI released close-up surveillance video of their faces and asked for the public's help in tracking them down.
'The news conference forced them out of their hideout and they decided to commit further violent acts. But it’s my belief that they were already manufacturing explosive devices. Further violent acts were inevitable,' Davis told The Boston Globe.

New video also revealed the final moments of Dzhokha's standoff with police. The images come from a thermal imaging camera aboard a Massachusetts State Police helicopter that was hovering above the dramatic police standoff.Tsarnaev, 19, was captured by police on Friday night after the boat's owner found him hiding out when he went to check on his beloved watercraft in that was parked on a trailer at a house in suburban Watertown, Massachusetts.
<center style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">
<center></center>
</center>
article-2312486-19661B04000005DC-617_964x943.jpg

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is awake and responding to questions. Authorities are anxious to talk to him to learn his motives behind the attack

article-2312387-1968886D000005DC-7_964x741.jpg

Still: The suspect appears to be laying flat in the boat in the final moments before his capture

article-2312387-19688889000005DC-743_964x683.jpg

In hiding: The dramatic footage released by police shows where the teenager lay hiding in a boat in the quiet suburban neighbourhood of Watertown

article-2312387-19688881000005DC-317_964x716.jpg

Blast: Video appears to show a flash grenade being thrown into the boat where the suspect hid

article-2312387-19688875000005DC-461_964x740.jpg

Show of force: The Massachusetts State Police has released this video showing an explosion resulting from a grenade thrown into the boat where the suspect lay

It is believed that federal prosecutors are putting the final touches together on charges against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and could filed them today. The most serious charge available to federal prosecutors would be the use of a weapon of mass destruction to kill people, which carries a possible death sentence. Massachusetts does not have the death penalty.Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick revealed on Sunday that surveillance video from the Boston Marathon attack shows one suspect dropping his backpack and calmly walking away from it before the bomb inside it exploded.

'These guys did not have an exit plan after the bombing, and from the way they have both ended up it looks like they planned on never being taken alive.

'Why else would this kid drive over his brother. It does not make any sense until you realize he also tried to take his own life. They had some sort of suicide pact worked out so they would not be taken alive.'

Police source speaking to MailOnline

The video clearly puts 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev at the scene of the attack, Patrick said on NBC.'It does seem to be pretty clear that this suspect took the backpack off, put it down, did not react when the first explosion went off and then moved away from the backpack in time for the second explosion,' Patrick said. 'It's pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly.'Tsarnaev reportedly lost significant amounts of blood after suffering two wounds. One was a gunshot to the leg he sustained during a running gun battle with police early Friday. Another was the wound to his neck.

CBS News correspondent John Miller reports: 'They say it appears from the wound that he might have stuck a gun in his mouth, and fired and actually just went out the back of his neck without killing him.'That's one of the reasons he's unable to communicate, but he can understand what they're saying. And they believe there will be a point where he will be able to talk to him.'Law enforcement sources tell MailOnline that Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were determined not to be taken alive.

Dzhokhar was also responsible for driving over his brother as he was being handcuffed by police following a fierce gun battle in Watertown in the predawn hours of Friday.The teen floored a stolen Mercedes SUV and drove it straight at the police and his 26-year-old brother who was on the ground after being seized.The police were able to jump out of the way - but Tamlerlan was dragged for up to 40 feet under the wheels of the speeding car.

article-2311341-19617C99000005DC-922_470x423.jpg
article-2311341-19617C2A000005DC-589_470x423.jpg

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan 'were going to attack other individuals' —says Boston police commissioner Davis and says that opinion is based on the evidence at the scene and the cache of weapons the brothers had at their disposal.

article-2311341-19604CCE000005DC-861_964x676.jpg

Planning further atrocities?: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan were believed to be about to unleash further terror attacks on Boston according to the city's police commissioner. The crush injuries are thought to have contributed to his death but police have yet to reveal an exact cause of death.'These guys did not have an exit plan after the bombing, and from they way they have both ended up it looks like they planned on never being taken alive,' said a law enforcement source.'Why else would this kid drive over his brother. It does not make any sense until you realize he also tried to take his own life. They had some sort of suicide pact worked out so they would not be taken alive.'

Exactly what happened in the boat remains unclear. Neighbors reported hearing police SWAT officers unleash several bursts of automatic weapons fire as they closed in on the 25-foot vessel. A police robot tore open the cover of the boat and a state police helicopter used an infrared camera to reveal Tsarnaev's location in the stern. Officers lobbed flash grenades into the boat in attempt to stun the suspect and called from him to surrender. He later climbed out of the boat and surrendered. After he was taken into custody, he was rushed to the hospital.

article-2312387-1964607B000005DC-328_964x678.jpg

Suspects: Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, left, was reportedly run over by his accomplice and younger brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19

article-2312387-196818BF000005DC-146_964x618.jpg

Evidence: Investigators gather evidence on Saturday, near the location in Watertown, Mass., where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was captured

Many reports say he climbed out of the boat on his own power. The Los Angeles Times reports that Tsarnaev was swearing profusely in the ambulance.

However, Boston Mayor Menino said Tsarnaev was in 'very serious' condition at a Boston hospital after being captured Friday night. 'And we don't know if we'll ever be able to question the individual,' he said without elaborating. The suspect later awoke and is now communicating with investigators in writing.

Senator Dan Coats, an Indiana Republican who sits on the Intelligence Committee, said earlier that it was questionable whether Tsarnaev would be able to talk again. 'The information that we have is that there was a shot to the throat,' Coats said.

'It doesn't mean he can't communicate, but right now I think he's in a condition where we can't get any information from him at all. 'We are hoping, for a host of reasons, that the suspect survives, because we have a million questions, and those questions need to be answered,' Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said.

article-2312387-196842DB000005DC-917_964x692.jpg

Review: Investigators remained at the home in Watertown, Mass. where the surviving suspect was located

article-2312287-1967D5AD000005DC-934_964x878.jpg

MrBlueSky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EXCLUSIVE - How doctor's daughter became the Muslim convert widow of Boston bomber: Terrorist husband 'brainwashed' her and she gave up her dreams of college to have his baby at 21

• Schoolfriend tells how Katherine Russell had dreams of joining the Peace Corps - but was 'totally transformed' by Tamerlan Tsarnaev
  • Yearbook photos reveal her transformation from all-American girl

By LAURA COLLINS IN NORTH KINGSTOWN, RHODE ISLAND
PUBLISHED: 21:19 GMT, 21 April 2013 | UPDATED: 03:41 GMT, 22 April 2013

Katherine Russell, the widow of Boston bomb suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was 'an all-American girl who was brainwashed' by her extremist husband according to one schoolfriend.Today MailOnline has gained the first glimpse and pictures of the early life of the woman who, according to those who knew her best, was 'totally transformed' by Tsarnaev. At high school her personal motto was 'Do something about it or stop complaining'. She dreamed of going to college and joining the Peace Corps.She urged her friends to 'lighten up and enjoy the small things,' in life.

article-2312588-196BB4F4000005DC-896_306x626.jpg
article-2312588-196B7722000005DC-799_306x626.jpg

Transformed: Katherine Russell, the American wife of marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, is pictured left in her school book and, right, leaving the house she shared with her husband in Cambridge

Instead she met Tsarneav, 26, a disenfranchised man who came to America from his troubled homeland of Chechnya who rapidly had her in his thrall. By the time she was 21 she had married him and borne his child, Zahara, now three. She had converted to Islam, hidden her tumble of chestnut hair beneath the hijab and undergone a change so profound that today few friends profess to truly understand it.

Yesterday Katherine, who has been staying at her parents’ home in Rhode Island, returned to the Cambridge, Massachusetts home which she shared with her late husband.Dressed in a leopard print hijab she darted into the white shingle house to collect some belongings and her pet cat while her daughter waited in the car.Today she was back home, accompanied by armed federal agents who first interviewed Katherine and her family on Friday.

article-2312588-196BF733000005DC-202_306x423.jpg

article-2312588-196BF4F9000005DC-523_306x423.jpg

What did she know? Katherine's proximity to both brothers makes her a key witness - witting or otherwise. A team of federal agents today delivered a package to her home after her mother reluctantly answered the door

article-2312588-196BBEBF000005DC-983_634x593.jpg

Great future: Her friends say she dreamed of going to the Peace Corps - before she met Tsarnaev
. Shortly before 6pm on Sunday three law enforcement agents – two men, one woman - all wearing dark sunglasses delivered a package to the Russell's family home. Katherine's mother Judith was initially reluctant to answer the front door, opening it fully only after requesting that the officers, thought to be Federal Agents, showed their credentials. At around 7.30 the Federal agents returned to the Russell family home as there was a marked increase in law enforcement activity in this quiet suburban neighborhood.

MailOnline has learned that the family's attorney entered by a back door as several officers were seen going into the family home. The agents stayed for just over an hour. Moments after they left, the family's attorney Amato DeLuca did likewise. Mr DeLuca said he could not discuss any detail of what had passed between his client and the agents, saying only that there were ‘talks.’ He said ‘We’re doing our best to deal with a very difficult situation. The family’s going through a lot. That’s the best I can do at the moment.’

article-2312588-196BB33A000005DC-58_306x423.jpg
article-2312588-196BB503000005DC-384_306x423.jpg

Through the years: She had a comfortable upbringing as the eldest daughter of a doctor and a nurse

article-2312588-196C00EA000005DC-473_634x403.jpg

Involved: Russell, circled, is pictured with her high school dance team, third from right on the back row

Their presence raises the question how much did Katherine know about her late husband's activities and links? Katherine's awareness of her then husband's movements, thoughts and plans is under intense scrutiny as her relation to Tsaraev and her proximity to both brothers makes her a key witness - witting or otherwise.

After all she was living with Tsarnaev when he travelled to Makhachkala in 2011 – a trip now attracting the interest of investigators trying to establish whether he met with Gaczhimurad Dolgatov at that time. Dolgatov was a Dagestani jihadist who died in 2012 after a vicious stand-off with Russian security services.

As it has already been revealed, Tsarnaev was on the FBI's radar during that time as they were asked to look into his potential links to extremist groups.

None who knew her as a child could have dreamed that this would be the face she would one day present to the world, nor that her life and those of so many Bostonians would be so violently caught up with two brothers from Chechnya and a cause as unclear as it was brutal.

article-2312588-196B97C5000005DC-190_634x449.jpg

Out: She exits a car with her father Warren Russell, left, as they arrive at the family home in Rhode Island

article-2312588-196B9801000005DC-932_634x468.jpg

Changed: Her school friends have described how she transformed after meeting Tamerlan Tsarnaev

article-2312588-1967B804000005DC-956_634x421.jpg

In hiding: The Russell family home in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, where Katherine is staying

article-2312588-196625AE000005DC-208_634x433.jpg

Support: A man, believed to be Warren Russell, father of Katherine Russell, smiles at the media

article-2312588-196748D4000005DC-457_634x416.jpg

Family: After pulling into her driveway, Judith Russell, Katherine's mother, spoke briefly with the media

As a girl growing up in Rhode Island Katherine was known to her friends as Katie. One school friend who asked not to be named recalled: ‘I saw her like a few months ago and she was just totally transformed. She was not the same person at all.’ Another agreed: ‘She was just this All-American girl who was brainwashed by her super-religious husband. Nobody understands what happened to her.‘ None of us would have dreamed that she would marry so young or drop out of college and have a baby or convert or be part of any of what’s happened.’She said, ‘She’s just not the same person at all.’It would be hard to imagine a childhood more rooted in America’s pilgrim heritage than Katherine’s. It is in there in the names of the towns – Plymouth, Dorset, Greenwich – where many of her friends still live and writ large in the wholesome values of the one-time Honors student’s home life. 'She was this All-American girl who was brainwashed by her super-religious husband. Nobody understands what happened'

The eldest of three daughters, to emergency physician Dr Warren Russell and nurse Judith, hers is a background steeped in the values of family and education.She attended Daisyville Middle School, North Kingstown. As a sixth grader she is pictured smiling from the pages of the 2001-2002 yearbook dedicated to The North Kingstown Police and Fire Departments in the wake of 9/11. – a date, the opening dedication reads, ‘forever in our minds.’A section of the book is titled, ‘Enduring Freedom,’ as the school, along with the rest of the nation, refused to be cowed by the acts of terror that hit the homeland that day.

article-2312588-19681B47000005DC-624_306x423.jpg
article-2312588-19661B00000005DC-807_306x423.jpg

'Attackers': Her husband Tamerlan Tsarnaev and his younger brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were allegedly behind the bombings at the Boston Marathon last Monday, which left three dead and more than 180 injured

article-2312588-19673C0A000005DC-974_634x481.jpg

Chilling: Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are seen near the marathon finish line before the bombings

article-2312588-196842A7000005DC-577_634x414.jpg

Scene: Dzhokhar was found in a boat in Watertown, Massachusetts on Friday following a massive manhunt

In 2004 Katherine progressed to North Kingstown High School. She took part gamely in the school’s Mismatch/Bad Hair Day; she dressed up for Hawaiian day though the occasion fell in a chilly October. She was a member of the Dance Team and the Art Club. In 11th grade she was awarded a Silver Key for a rather odd image of a cat, lashing out at a mouse in a ballet shoe. Her favorite food was Pad Thai. She competed with her peers in Class Color Day that ended with a Pep Rally in which seas of the school colors, green, blue, red, black and gold filled the stands at the playing field.One classmate who remembers Katherine from those early days said: ‘The thing that’s so shocking is that there was nothing at all that made Katherine different.‘Her parents are nice people, her sisters are great girls. But she met this guy, I guess, and everything changed.’

article-2312588-196C5918000005DC-556_634x443.jpg

Memorial: Candles are lit for those who died in the Boston Marathon bombings and the subsequent police manhunt at a memorial on Boylston Street in Boston, Massachusetts April 21, 2013

article-2312588-196C475B000005DC-278_634x421.jpg

Remembering: A couple embraces at a memorial on Boylston Street to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings in Boston

article-2312588-196C4837000005DC-351_634x423.jpg

Flowers: A woman holds a flower at the memorial on Boylston Street last night

Katherine was a student at Sussex University, Boston, when she met Tsaraev, then a promising boxer and athlete.It was during that time that she converted and her youthful priorities appear to have changed as she left in 2010 without graduating. By then her relationship with Tsaraev was intense. Not even his arrest for violently assaulting her in 2009 could change that.According to Cambridge City Police Department reports of the incident which took place in July at the Massachusetts home she once shared with Tsaraev, when interviewed she described Tsaraev as ‘a very nice man.’Certainly he was a man whose influence on Katherine's life would prove profound. There is only one odd and unsettling inclusion in her own entry in her graduation High School Yearbook.Asked to provide a quotation she settled on one that would surely chime with the extremist views of her late husband.‘Don’t take anything for granted,’ she advises, before quoting a line from David Bowie's 'Quicksand': ‘Don’t believe in yourself, don’t deceive with belief,’ the baffling lines run. ‘Knowledge comes from death’s release.’

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is alert enough to begin answering questions

By FRANK ROSARIO in North Dartmouth, Mass., & JEANE MACINTOSH in NY
Last Updated: 10:12 AM, April 22, 2013
Posted: 1:16 AM, April 22, 2013

Investigators were finally able to start grilling Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev late yesterday — after he recovered enough from neck wounds to scribble out written responses to questions.

The 19-year-old accused killer could not talk because he is believed to have shot himself in a suicide attempt as officers closed in on him Friday. He wrote out responses from his Boston hospital bed, law-enforcement sources told ABC News.

The probers reportedly asked Tsarnaev about other unexploded bombs and possible terror-cell members, the sources said.

22.1n007.dzhokhar--300x300.jpg

EVIL IN NYC: Bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev — who was alert enough to begin his interrogation yesterday — is seen hanging around Times Square in this undated photo.

Earlier in the day, officials had said Tsarnaev — sedated and hooked up to a breathing tube at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston — was in no shape to meet with investigators because of his neck and throat wounds.

Investigators told CBS News it appeared that, when he was cornered by police, Dzhokhar had stuck a gun in his mouth and fired, sending the bullet out the back of his neck.

Tsarnaev’s bedside questioning came just hours after Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick revealed that police have a “chilling” video showing him dropping a backpack containing an improvised explosive device and calmly walking away as the deadly twin blasts erupted in his wake.

“It does seem pretty clear that this suspect took the backpack off, put it down, did not react when the first explosion went off and then moved away from the backpack in time for the second explosion,” Patrick told NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“It’s pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly.”

Tsarnaev remained under heavy guard in serious but stable condition Monday, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center officials said.

His brother, Tamerlan, 26, his alleged accomplice in the horrific race-day bombings, was killed in a wild police shootout early Friday morning.

Dzhokhar had not yet been charged last night, but sources said he faced federal terrorism charges and possibly state murder charges.

Meanwhile yesterday, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, where Dzhokhar was a student, reopened its campus after it was evacuated during the lockdown Friday.

Students there continued to give chilling accounts of their classmate’s actions in the days after the bombing.

Dzhokhar nonchalantly dismissed the carnage as he watched coverage of the explosions playing across the television screens at his gym on the day after the blasts, said Zach Bettencourt, who ran into him at the facility.

“Hey, man, are you seeing this?” Bettencourt, 19, said he asked Tsarnaev, who seemed uninterested and fiddled with his iPod.

“He looked up and said, ‘Yeah, well. Tragedies happen all the time.’ ”

Several students said Dzhokhar was seen hanging out, smoking and speaking Russian, with two men who were arrested Saturday at an apartment near the college.

The men, identified only by their first names, Azamat and Dias, tooled around town in a BMW with a license plate that read “Terrorista #1.” Dzhokhar had tweeted a photo of the car.

The duo, whose arrests were confirmed by the a spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, face deportation.

Dzhokhar’s sisters, Alina and Bella, remained hunkered down in a West New York, NJ, apartment yesterday under police guard.

“They’re being quiet,” said Officer Luis Gonzales. “You could see they have a lot on their minds.”

A man who answered the door said: “We have nothing to say right now. We have children here.”

West New York Mayor Felix Roque said he was at the sisters’ home shortly after their brother was arrested in the massive Boston dragnet on Friday.

“They were very depressed and somber,” he said. “It was like being at a wake. They were huddled like little children . . . both of them were weeping.”

Additional reporting by C.J. Sullivan

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aunt: Boston bombings suspect struggled with Islam

From ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Updated: 10:05 AM, April 22, 2013
Posted: 9:21 AM, April 22, 2013

MAKHACHKALA, Russia — An aunt of the elder Boston bombing suspect says he struggled to find himself while trying to reconnect with his Chechen identity on a trip to Russia last year.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev "seemed to be more American" than Chechen and "didn't fit into the Islamic world," his aunt Patimat Suleimanova told The Associated Press.

Suleimanov added that Tsarnaev spoke daily on Skype to his American-born wife, who had recently converted to Islam, and that she instructed him on how to observe Islam correctly.

Investigators are focusing on the six months Tsarnaev spent last year in southern Russia, where he stayed with his father for at least part of the time.

RussiaBostonMarathonSuspects093756--300x300.jpg

Patimat Suleimanova says Tamerlan Tsarnaev struggled to find himself while trying to reconnect with his Chechen identity on a trip to Russia last year. He "seemed to be more American" than Chechen and "didn't fit into the Islamic world," she said.

FBIBOMBINGPHOTOS091444--300x300.jpg

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, and his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, both of Cambridge.

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wife of suspected Boston Marathon bomber faces FBI's heat

By LARRY CELONA, FRANK ROSARIO and LEONARD GREENE
Last Updated: 12:06 PM, April 22, 2013
Posted: 1:01 AM, April 22, 2013

The FBI is probing whether suspected Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s widow knew about his deadly marathon plot, a law-enforcement source told The Post yesterday.

Federal agents yesterday made three visits to the Rhode Island home of the parents of Katherine Russell, 24, an all-American-girl-turned-terrorist’s-bride.

During the first encounter, the agents were in the home for about 10 minutes.

A couple of hours later, The Post observed the same agents — two men and a woman — briefly speaking with Russell’s mom, Judith, through the door. Russell, who has a 3-year-old daughter, Zahara, with Tsarnaev, 26, is believed to have been inside.

katherine_russell--300x300.jpg

ALL EYES ON HER: Katherine Russell, widow of slain Boston Marathon terror suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, rushes Saturday from the Cambridge, Mass., home where he lived.

22.1n005.Boston3.C--300x300.jpg

One of the male agents was carrying a manila envelope, books and papers and walked away again with them after the brief chat with the mom.

In their final visit last night, the agents spent two hours in the house before leaving, followed by the family’s lawyer, Amato DeLuca.

“We just did some talking. We’re doing our best to try to deal with a very difficult situation. The family is going through a lot,” DeLuca said.

He refused to say whether the agents were with the FBI, ATF or ICE, confirming only that they were with the feds.

“Other than a brief interview with the FBI, there has been nothing more than that,” DeLuca told The Post. “Quite frankly, she was married to that man, so it doesn’t surprise me that they would do something of an investigation.’’

DeLuca later told The Post, “Katherine is innocent, and she has no knowledge of any of this.”

Federal agents had been by the parents’ house on Friday, as well, according to the Daily Mail.

Russell learned her husband was implicated in the terror attack by watching TV, DeLuca said. He did not say whether she identified him for authorities after they posted his image.

Meanwhile, a law-enforcement source told The Post the FBI is scouring video of the marathon and showing Russell’s picture to witnesses to see if she was at or near the finish line when two bombs ripped through the crowd last Monday, killing three people and injuring nearly 200 others.

“We’re looking at [footage] and showing the photo,’’ the source said.

In other developments:

* Tsarnaev’s brother, bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was awake in the hospital and responding to questions, a source told The Post. The investigators were specifically trying to nail down whether he and Tamerlan were part of a terror cell, ABC reported.

* The brothers were likely planning more attacks with the arsenal they had on them during Friday’s after-midnight shootout, which left Tamerlan mortally wounded, authorities said.

* The suspects’ mother claimed that Tamerlan made a call to her in Russia as he and his brother were being chased by cops, The Wall Street Journal reported. “The police, they have started shooting at us, they are chasing us!” Zubeidat Tsarnaeva told the paper, quoting her son. His last words were, “Mama, I love you,’’ before the phone went dead, she said.

* Although authorities said evidence suggests the two brothers acted alone, some officials insisted that the plot could be part of a bigger terror network.

* A video that Tamerlan appears to have posted on, then deleted from, YouTube featured a jihadist leader who was later killed in a shootout with Russian authorities, CNN said. The video, under the subheading “Terrorists,” featured a militant called Abu Dujana, the alias for a radical named Gadzhimurad Dolgatov.

* ATF agents have recovered enough remnants of one bomb — including a circuit board with wires crudely soldered to it — that they should be able to piece it back together, said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.

The FBI did not respond to questions about Tamerlan’s wife.

On Saturday, Russell was spotted darting in and out of the Cambridge home she had shared with her husband and his brother.

Friends and neighbors said Russell was raised as a Christian but shrouded herself in Muslim garb after becoming involved with Tamerlan and converting to Islam.

They said she dropped out of college and abandoned dreams of joining the Peace Corps.

‘She was just this all-American girl who was brainwashed by her super-religious husband,” one friend told the Daily Mail. “Nobody understands what happened to her.”

In January, her violent husband was kicked out of his Cambridge mosque after an angry outburst against a speaker who compared Martin Luther King Jr. to the Prophet Mohammed, the Los Angeles Times reported.

A neighbor of Russell’s parents told the Mail that the last time she saw Tamerlan was about a year ago and that Russell had “moved back home and was living at home with the baby.”

A team of FBI and CIA interrogators — who handle high-profile terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay — was being flown in to take over the grilling of Tamerlan’s brother, Dzhokhar, sources told The Times of London.

A key question will be whether the brothers had help in their plot, officials said.

Investigators said Monday’s bombing might have roots in Russia, particularly the region where Tamerlan traveled for six months during in 2012, when he was likely “radicalized” by jihadist terrorists, sources said.

Tamerlan had been on the FBI’s radar when the agency investigated him at the request of Russian officials. But they were unable to find evidence he was connected to a terror organization.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told CNN’s “State of the Union,” “Either our laws are insufficient or the FBI failed. But we’re at war with radical Islamists, and we need to up our game.”

Meanwhile, it seems clear the brothers planned on killing again, authorities said. There were three devices that exploded during the shootout — a pressure cooker and two pipe bombs filled with nails — as well as two more pipe bombs found at the scene. Another pipe bomb was found at the brothers’ apartment.

A cop critically wounded in the shootout continued to improve yesterday, after his heart had stopped and he lost nearly all of his blood when a bullet severed three arteries in his right thigh.

Additional reporting by Pedro Oliveira Jr., Jennifer Bain, Gerry Shields,Jeane MacIntosh and Post Wire Services

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Senator says dead Boston suspect's name misspelled on 2011 Russia trip, 'name never went into system'

From ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Updated: 12:46 PM, April 22, 2013
Posted: 12:46 PM, April 22, 2013

WASHINGTON — A Republican senator says the name of Tamerlan Tsarnaev — the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing who died in a firefight with police — was misspelled on his 2011 trip to Russia.

Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said Tsarnaev's correct name never went into "the system," and this thwarted the FBI in discovering the six-month trip. Graham said on Fox News that he spoke to the assistant director of the FBI on Sunday night.

Graham's spokesman, Kevin Bishop, confirmed the senator's comments on Monday.

FBIBOMBINGPHOTOS123350--300x300.jpg

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26

The trip is the subject of the investigation into last Monday's deadly bombings.

Rep. Mike Rogers, chairman of the House intelligence committee, had said Sunday that Tsarnaev may have used an alias to travel to Russia. Rogers made the comments on NBC.

Meanwhile, the FBI is probing whether Tsarnaev’s widow knew about his deadly marathon plot, a law-enforcement source told The Post yesterday.

Federal agents yesterday made three visits to the Rhode Island home of the parents of Katherine Russell, 24, an all-American-girl-turned-terrorist’s-bride.

During the first encounter, the agents were in the home for about 10 minutes.

A couple of hours later, The Post observed the same agents — two men and a woman — briefly speaking with Russell’s mom, Judith, through the door. Russell, who has a 3-year-old daughter, Zahara, with Tsarnaev, 26, is believed to have been inside.

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Accused Boston Marathon bomber charged with conspiracy, will not be tried as enemy combatant

By DAVID K. LI
Last Updated: 2:35 PM, April 22, 2013
Posted: 1:24 PM, April 22, 2013

Accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev — still handcuffed to a hospital bed — made his first appearance before a judge today.

A magistrate was in Tsarnaev’s room at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for the suspect’s initial court appearance, law enforcement sources said.

The US Attorney's Office for Massachusetts said that Tsarnaev was charged with "conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property in the US resulting in death."

Dzhokhar132229--300x300.jpg

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

Tsarnaev is charged with one count of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and one count of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death.

Tsarnaev could face the death penalty if convicted in last week's terror attack.

“Although our investigation is ongoing, today’s charges bring a successful end to a tragic week for the city of Boston, and for our country,” said Attorney General Eric Holder. “Those who target innocent Americans and attempt to terrorize our cities will not escape from justice."

Tsarnaev is under heavy medication, following his arrest Friday night in Watertown, Mass. He apparently shot himself in the throat in a botched suicide attempt that’s left him unable to speak.

“The events of the past week underscore in stark terms the need for continued vigilance against terrorist threats both at home and abroad,” said John Carlin, Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security. “Friday’s arrest and today’s charges demonstrate what can be achieved by a collaborative, round-the clock response involving law enforcement officers, intelligence professionals, prosecutors and the general public.”

Carmen Ortiz, US Attorney for the District of Massachusetts called Tsarnaev's crimes "far-reaching" and hailed the cross-agency efforts during last week's manhunt that had Boston-area resident locked in their homes for an entire day.

"We hope that this prosecution will bring some small measure of comfort both to the public at large and to the victims and their families that justice will be served."

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Tsarnaev will face trial in a civilian federal court, ending speculation that the accused bomber could be prosecuted by a military tribunal.

Tsarnaev, "will not be treated as an enemy combatant," but will be processed "through our civilian system of justice," Carney told reporters today.

"Under US law, United States citizens cannot be tried in military commissions," Carney added.

The accused bomber has been communicating in writing with interrogators, questioning him without Miranda warnings against self-incrimination.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis hailed the "herculean effort" of all those who worked on the investigation and praised the "cooperation and dedication of the law enforcement community."

"We were relentless in our pursuit of the suspects. The arrest of Tsarnaev and today’s charges should send a clear message to those who look to do us harm, the entire law enforcement community will go after you, find you and bring you to justice.”

This case against Tsarnaev is being prosecuted by Assistant US Attorneys William Weinreb and Aloke Chakravarty from the Anti-Terrorism and National Security Unit of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts, with assistance from the Counterterrorism Section of the Justice Department’s National Security Division.

Investigators are allowed to talk to him without Miranda if there’s a possible, imminent threat -- such as more bombs being hidden or conspirators about to strike.

Tsarnaev, 19, and his older brother and suspected co-conspirator, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, were born in southern Russia.

The White House today also defended the FBI's performance in its 2011 inquiry into Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26.

White House spokesman Jay Carney says it's clear that the FBI followed up on information it received about Tsarnaev. He says the FBI interviewed him and his relatives and didn't find any domestic or foreign terrorism activity.

The Russian FSB intelligence security service told the FBI in early 2011 about information that Tsarnaev was a follower of radical Islam. The FBI says it conducted interviews and provided the results in the summer of 2011. The bureau says it also checked U.S. government databases and other information to look into his telephone communications, possible use of radical online sites, personal associations, and travel and education history.

Meanwhile, all of the more than 180 people injured in the Boston Marathon blasts one week ago who made it to a hospital alive now seem likely to survive, doctors say.

That includes several people who arrived with legs attached by just a little skin, a 3-year-old boy with a head wound and bleeding on the brain, and a little girl riddled with nails. Even a transit system police officer whose heart had stopped and was close to bleeding to death after a shootout with the suspects now appears headed for recovery.

"All I feel is joy," said Dr. George Velmahos, chief of trauma surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital, referring to his hospital's 31 blast patients. "Whoever came in alive, stayed alive."

Motaro

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

NY next stop for fiends

* Slain bomber’s boast during carjack

By LARRY CELONA, GEOFF EARLE and DAN MANGAN
Last Updated: 4:10 AM, April 24, 2013
Posted: 1:41 AM, April 24, 2013

Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev vowed, “Now we’re going to New York!” as he and his fellow-terrorist brother, Dzhokhar, carjacked a man in a desperate bid to elude capture, it was revealed yesterday.

“We just killed a cop. We blew up the marathon,” Tsarnaev snarled as he and Dzhokhar, 19, pointed guns at the terrified carjack victim after gunning down MIT Police Officer Sean Collier, according to a new report.

“And now, we’re going to New York! Don’t f--k with us!” Tsarnaev, 26, barked at the victim after midnight Friday, police sources told the Boston Globe.

24.1n008.MIT1--300x300.jpg

FAREWELL: Mourners weep yesterday at the funeral of slain MIT cop Sean Collier.

24.1n008.MIT2--300x300.jpg

Sean Collier

That claim now has authorities investigating whether the Tsarnaevs had contacts in the Big Apple who could have potentially helped them flee.

Tamerlan was killed after he and Dzhokhar engaged in a predawn firefight with authorities in Watertown, Mass., early Friday. Dzhokhar was nabbed 20 hours later, after he was discovered hiding, bloody and prone, in a dry-docked boat in a Watertown yard.

In other developments yesterday:

* Under interrogation from his hospital bed, Dzhokhar confessed that he and Tamerlan planted the marathon bombs and murdered the 26-year-old MIT cop, sources said.

* He also told investigators that he and his brother assembled their homemade bombs by following instructions they found on “Inspire” — al Qaeda’s online magazine, sources said.

* Investigators now believe the Tsarnaevs acted alone in plotting and carrying out the April 15 double bombing, which killed three people and injured at least 170, after examinations of the brothers’ cellphones and computers turned up no evidence of an accomplice, sources said.

* It emerged that Russia warned the FBI not once but “multiple’’ times about the fanatical Tamerlan, but in the end, nothing came of it, US senators said after being briefed on the investigation. It was also revealed that Tamerlan had been on the US’s TIDE database of potential terrorists, but because it was so extensive he wasn’t being tracked.

* David Henneberry, the man who discovered Dzhokhar hiding in his boat, spoke publicly for the first time, telling Boston’s Channel 5-ABC that he was “just glad” to have stumbled upon the fugitive in his yard. “I am lucky I am alive. These other people were killed. Sometimes, I just sit and say, ‘Wow,’ ” he said.

* A funeral was held for 8-year-old bombing victim Martin Richard, whose parents released a statement saying, “The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous.”

* A funeral was also held for Collier. The MJT officer may simply have been executed because the two terrorists needed a second gun, sources told CBS.

After they carjacked the Mercedes SUV, the Tsarnaevs drove their hostage to multiple ATMs, telling him they needed to fund their trip to New York, the Globe reported.

The killers got $800 before the man managed to flee when they stopped for gas.

Cops were able to track the stolen vehicle by tracing the victim’s cellphone, which he had left in it.

Officers cornered the SUV, but the perps started tossing out explosives. One of the cops then put his cruiser in gear, got out and let it slowly roll toward the suspects with no one inside, hoping to draw them out.

The move worked — Tamerlan fired and quickly ran out of bullets and was tackled. His brother drove over him, likely killing him, as he fled.

Meanwhile, amid the manhunt for Dzhokhar, the feds zeroed in on a young woman from Long Island, who said she was a “close friend’’ of his, a report said.

Britney Smith, 23, who now lives in Miami, yesterday said FBI agents came to her parents’ home in Ridge, LI, to question her while she was there for a funeral.

The FBI “knew we knew each other, and they thought he might be coming here,’’ Smith told Newsday.

Smith had met Dzhokhar in 2004 through his sisters, whom she knew from mutual friends. She said she told the feds about a trip Dzhokhar had taken to Manhattan last year.

“He told me he went to hang out in Times Square, went to a hookah lounge and was having a lot of fun,” Smith said. “He said, ‘I love it out here.’ ”

Dzhokhar told investigators yesterday that he and Tamerlan acted alone, motivated to plant the bombs by US wars against their fellow Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Investigators believe the explosive used may have come from fireworks that Tamerlan bought Feb. 6.

He paid $400 for two reloadable mortar kits at the Phantom Fireworks shop in Seabrook, NH, Phantom President Bruce Zoldan told The Post.

“He asked [the clerk], ‘What is your most powerful item? What gives the most bang for your buck?’ ” Zoldan said.

In 2010, would-be Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad bought fireworks he used for his car bomb at a Phantom outlet in Pennsylvania.Additional reporting by Gerry Shields, Josh Margolin, Jamie Schram and Dan MacLeod

MrBlueSky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Remote control for toy car used to detonate Boston Marathon bombs

POST STAFF REPORT
Last Updated: 7:39 PM, April 24, 2013
Posted: 7:38 PM, April 24, 2013

From a children's toy to a tool of destruction.

New information has come to light tonight about the nature of the deadly Boston Marathon terror attacks that killed three and wounded more than 200. The Vice Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee tells the Post that, according the FBI, the bombs were detonated using remote control car devices.

"It was a remote control for a car, that's what it was," said C.A. "Dutch" Ruppersberger. "It was that type of device. That says to me that you need some sophistication to be able to use that type of device to set off bombs."

BostonMarathon-FiveDaysofFear193500--300x150.jpg

Boston bombing suspects Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, left, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19.

The news comes just days after the second bombing suspect, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was charged with using a weapon of mass destruction in the attacks, and about a week after the first suspect, Dzhokhar's brother Tamerlan, was killed in a shootout with authorities.