• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Turkey Has The World's Freest Press! It's Official!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
38c91463ae10030478edef142ddd9ae8d8417898.jpg

Ankara (AFP) - Turkey has the freest press in the world, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday, brushing off accusations that media freedoms were being eroded under his rule.

"Nowhere in the world is the press freer than it is in Turkey. I'm very sure of myself when I say this," he said in a televised speech to a conference in Ankara.

"The press is so free in Turkey that one can make insults, slanders, defamation, racism and commit hate crimes that are not tolerated even in democratic countries."

"I've personally experienced this, so has my family," he added.

Turkey was the world's top jailer of journalists in 2012 and 2013, ahead of Iran and China, according to the International Committee to Protect Journalists, before improving to tenth place this year.

Erdogan's comments came less than two weeks after police raids on opposition media linked to Erdogan's arch-foe Fethullah Gulen prompted a furious reaction from the European Union.

Erdogan has blamed Gulen for concocting stunning corruption allegations that emerged last year concerning ministers and his own inner circle that also touched his own son Bilal.

The remarks also coincided with the release pending trial of a 16-year-old schoolboy who was controversially arrested on charges of insulting Erdogan by accusing him of being the "chief of corruption".

But Erdogan said: "You cannot insult them (his family) like this in any other country. There is no limit to the insults (we receive). You cannot run such headlines in Europe or the US."

"Europeans accuse us as if such things never happen in their countries. No one raises their voice when journalists are detained in Europe."

He launched another bitter attack on the European Union, the latest episode in a bitter row that erupted with the EU's criticism of the raids on opposition media.

"We are not the scapegoats of the EU," said Erdogan.

"We are not a country that Europe can criticise, wag its finger at and scold without them looking in the mirror themselves."

"Those days are over. The old Turkey does not exist anymore," he added.

The slanging match with Brussels has dealt a new blow to Turkey's long-running bid to join the 28-member bloc, but analysts believe it has not yet been written off.

http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-worlds-freest-press-erdogan-claims-190329733.html

Singapore must be ranked 2nd for freedom of speech. You can look at the number of hate speeches and false allegations made here about our government, and yet most of these people here are still free, get to keep their jobs and homes, and stuff their fat faces at the buffet tables every weekend. Life is good in Singapore under PAP!

uzswv

Alfrescian
Loyal
Turkey was the world's top jailer of journalists in 2012 and 2013, ahead of Iran and China, according to the International Committee to Protect Journalists, before improving to tenth place this year.

Wait a minute... 154 sounds familiar... this position use to be occupied by presstitutes. :biggrin:

Black Swan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anything is possible for a country that is named after a bird traditionally people eat during Christmas.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Turkey is a Muslim country but they are very open. Yesterday I watched the volley game between turkey and China, Turkey girls attire same as all China ' girls.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Turkey is a Muslim country but they are very open. Yesterday I watched the volley game between turkey and China, Turkey girls attire same as all China ' girls.

Indeed. They are a moderate Muslim country.

In fact they are part of NATO.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How you know I didn't know what I didn't know?

Flightless bird is not named after Turkey the country
Anatolia which means sunrise in Greek was Byzantine
Turkification began in earnest after Battle of Manzikert
Bird was first encountered by Europeans in Mexico

PS: there is an article on this in current issue of the Economist!