• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tuition - necessary or not?

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
It comes as no surprise in an extremely grades-obsessed country like Singapore, the private tuition industry is ever flourishing, so much so it has in recent years become a billion dollar juggernaut of an affair. Kiddo attends tuition classes for two, three, no make that four subjects. Almost everyone in his class hires tutors; ditto for his cousins, cousins' classmates....... you get the drift. Probably only his goldfish is spared. Parents willingly shell out thousands year after year to send their progeny to "branded" centres, while others pay top dollar just to entice seasoned educators to swing by and conduct 1-1 coaching in the comfort of their homes. At the end of the day, one question always lingers above all: was it money well-spent, or simply flushed down the toilet? Over at Reddit Singapore an interesting debate about this takes place, with a significant number of Reddiporeans coming forward to share their thoughts by leveraging on their personal experiences :

=================================

By Library Hantu:

"I'm in the enrichment industry these days and I can comfortably state that "(almost) every tutor is a good tutor" is untrue.

I speak a fair bit with the parents of my students and it's common to hear them complain about the difficulty of finding a tutor. That's why word of mouth is so valuable in this industry, parents can wind up going through literally dozens of tutors to find a suitable candidate for their children.

Some of the complaints I've heard include:

1. Inappropriate behaviour - Tutor called the student "a stupid son of a b***h" in front of the parents. The parents were okay with some swearing, since the son is an older student who occasionally swears, however that really crossed the line. The context wasn't an argument either, the tutor was commenting on a mistake the student had made.

2. Excessive cellphone use during lessons - This is an increasingly common complaint among parents.

3. Scheduling issues - Tutors who don't show up for lessons, consistently reschedule, or are consistently late.

4. Tutors who simply have no clue about what they're doing.

Parents often put up with the third group if they are able to deliver results as finding a good tutor can be incredibly difficult. Seeking replacements can be easy due to the proliferation of agencies and avenues available, then again landing a capable candidate who is suited for the needs of the child is an entirely different ballgame."

======================

By cokelemon:

"Group tuition didn't help but 1-1 tuition did, at least for me. That being said, it boils down to whether one has engaged really effective tutors.

Chinese: Attended group tuition, it didn't really help much. Switched to 1-1 and I eventually scored a distinction for Higher Chinese (HCL) in PSLE. Flunked HCL in lower secondary and was made to drop to CL, fortunately met a good CL tutor whilst studying in upper secondary who genuinely cared and I improved from a mere pass to an A2 for the 'O' Levels.

Math: Attended group tuition in primary school, yet grades didn't really advance. Was a straight E8 student for A Maths in upper secondary, all the way to the preliminary examinations. Also had a good tutor who refused to give up on me, even met up with a group of us at a cafe on a public holiday near the 'O' Levels to assist with our queries. I ended up with a much better B4 grade for the 'O' Levels.

I reckon 1-1 tuition is good as the tutor can personalize the education to target the student's weaknesses, and certainly necessary if the student doesn't have any good teachers in school (like myself back then)."

More at .

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should ban school teachers from giving tuitions. If they perform their role well in school the students will not need tuitions.

But the system encourages teachers to bo chup in school, so that they can moonlight as tuition teachers.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your child stupid, then tuition is essential.. period.
What are schools for ? And what are teachers for ?

Tuition should never have existed as a profession. It's parasitic; it's not productive. If a child studies Math in school, and goes for Math tuition after school, the tutor is merely repeating the work of the school teacher. And the child wastes time doing the same stuff and the parents are penalized financially.

If the school teacher does her job well, the child will have understood the subject (or even enjoy the subject) and the "parasitic tutors" will have to join the labor force and be more productive instead of repeating the work of the school teacher. The child will have saved the time he would otherwise have spent on tuition and the time saved can be allocated to something more useful and productive - instead of repeating the learning process he has already received in school.

Now the school teacher knows if she teaches badly in school, she will be rewarded after school with lucrative tuition assignments. The school teacher profits from her own misdoings. WTF !

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What are schools for ? And what are teachers for ?

Tuition should never have existed as a profession. It's parasitic; it's not productive. If a child studies Math in school, and goes for Math tuition after school, the tutor is merely repeating the work of the school teacher. And the child wastes time doing the same stuff and the parents are penalized financially.

If the school teacher does her job well, the child will have understood the subject (or even enjoy the subject) and the "parasitic tutors" will have to join the labor force and be more productive instead of repeating the work of the school teacher. The child will have saved the time he would otherwise have spent on tuition and the time saved can be allocated to something more useful and productive - instead of repeating the learning process he has already received in school.

Now the school teacher knows if she teaches badly in school, she will be rewarded after school with lucrative tuition assignments. The school teacher profits from her own misdoings. WTF !

In my children's elite schools, it is expected that the kids have their own tutors and nearly all do.

The students use their school time to do other project work and prepare for competitions in science, math and robotics.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
No child is born stupid.

Go identify the KAV of a child... not all children are born with academic gene orelse where to find people who can see non genuine IT spare parts are imported to Singapore manufactured in India....

If your child is stupid, no amount of tuition will help either!

TerrexLee

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my children's elite schools, it is expected that the kids have their own tutors and nearly all do.

The students use their school time to do other project work and prepare for competitions in science, math and robotics.

Your children from special needs school is it? different from elite school hor johnnie boy