• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Toyota saves driver who survives crash with trailer

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
This video confirms Sam's belief in the quality of Toyota. If it was a Volvo, the driver would not stand a chance.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'm unpleasantly surprised to find that the myth that Jap cars are unsafe and that Euro cars are far safer still exists in this day and age.

99% of all cars sold nowadays meet industry safety standards. The standards vary slightly from country to country but differences are insignificant.

In Australia/NZ the safety standard is known as the ANCAP. You check the safety rating of the make/model that you drive at http://www.ancap.com.au/

The worst performers at the moment are Chinese made vehicles example http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/great-wall-motors/steed/f1caf2

There also persists a perception that the more a car crumples the less safe it is. In reality cars are designed to crumple front and rear in order to absorb the energy of crash and protect the passenger compartment.

When it comes to supercars some models are designed so that in the event of severe side impact the engine compartment is designed to break off. In other words the car literally splits in two.

Young Driver Splits Lamborghini Gallardo in Half

700_o15941.jpg

Young driver behind the wheel of this Lamborghini Gallardo was speeding on wet roads in Bangkok, Thailand when he lost control and hit a tree. The impact tore the Lamborghini in half, leaving the engine compartment on the road while the front passenger compartment rolled down a ditch. Unbelievably, both driver and passenger walked away with only minor injuries.

700_o15938.jpg

Modern supercars are designed to break apart on impact, leaving the passenger compartment in tact. What looks to be a terrible crash is actually a design feature.

700_o15939.jpg

700_o15942.jpg

A Lamborghini Gallardo costs nearly $500,000 in Thailand due to import taxes. How did such a young guy afford one?

700_o15940.jpg

Video of the aftermath

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I used to be a conti car snob. That changed about a decade back when I discovered Jap cars were being better made and are no longer tin cans. Still, I wouldn't touch their mid-sized sedans and hatchbacks. Only SUVs.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like a reckless lorry driver. Too fast turning the corner. Will they charge him or let him go scott free.
Another reason why supercar engine detached itself is to protect occupants in case of fire.
Ford everest i think could be better than fortuner. The 2 liter twin turbo version, if made available and cheaply, is the suv to go for. Current engine in a 3.2 litre turbo.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Looks like a reckless lorry driver. Too fast turning the corner. Will they charge him or let him go scott free.
Another reason why supercar engine detached itself is to protect occupants in case of fire.
Ford everest i think could be better than fortuner. The 2 liter twin turbo version, if made available and cheaply, is the suv to go for. Current engine in a 3.2 litre turbo.

The Ford Everest is a great SUV. The only downside is that it is a Ford and does not enjoy the same high reliability as the Fortuner.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm unpleasantly surprised to find that the myth that Jap cars are unsafe and that Euro cars are far safer still exists in this day and age.

Earlier this month sent a friend to the Merc dealer at Thonglor to pick up her new E350e. Was waiting for her outside standing beside my car, the owner of the dealership an old guy and I know he is famous in Thailand in the "hiso" circle came out spoke to me asked me why I not choose a Merc, also saying Merc is much cheaper than my cars by 25-35%, I simply told him I like Japanese. And then shockingly he being a knowledgable old guy told me German cars are stronger and safer than my car . . . . . . I just brushed him off knowing his mind is already fixed and nothing can change.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Earlier this month sent a friend to the Merc dealer at Thonglor to pick up her new E350e. Was waiting for her outside standing beside my car, the owner of the dealership an old guy and I know he is famous in Thailand in the "hiso" circle came out spoke to me asked me why I not choose a Merc, also saying Merc is much cheaper than my cars by 25-35%, I simply told him I like Japanese. And then shockingly he being a knowledgable old guy told me German cars are stronger and safer than my car . . . . . . I just brushed him off knowing his mind is already fixed and nothing can change.

In the early days this was true. German cars were solid lumps of steel whereas Jap cars had plastic bumpers, thin panels and were structurally weaker. This is because in the aftermath of the 1973 Oil crisis fuel economy became the number one selling point. The lighter the car was the better the fuel economy. That was how the Jap car industry gained its foothold. Nobody talked about safety in those days.

Half a century has passed since then and everything has changed. Jap cars are now the best in the world in ALL aspects with the Koreans very close behind.

The worst cars now are made by Chrysler, Fiat, most Chinese brands and of course Madhatter's Proton.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
@Leongsam may I hear from you your personal opinion on the brand Maserati in particular the model Gibli

I have no firsthand experience with Maseratis but I cannot imagine it would be anywhere near as reliable as a Lexus. After all it is an Italian brand and Italians suck especially when it comes to electronics.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I have no firsthand experience with Maseratis but I cannot imagine it would be anywhere near as reliable as a Lexus. After all it is an Italian brand and Italians suck especially when it comes to electronics.

Thank you

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Thank you

The other thing is that you lose a ton of money the minute you drive it out of the showroom. It'll probably lose half its value on the first day.

These sorts of cars are enthusiasts who have some sort of love relationship with a particular brand. They don't mind the car giving problems as it gives them a chance to shower the car with loving care and attention. You need to have a good friend who is a car mechanic who knows how to fix these finicky Italian showpieces.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You like to see Sam masturbating over Toyota ?:rolleyes:o_O

I don't masturbate over Toyota and I have no emotional attachment to the brand whatsoever.

It's just that I have reached the point in my life where I want the car that is invisible in that I don't have to pay it any attention whatsoever.

That's what a Toyota does. It's there in the morning, it starts, it takes me to wherever i steer it to and then takes me home with zero drama no rattles, no surprises no strange engine or suspension noises.

In the evening I just leave it to the elements knowing that it will not corrode and will definitely start again the next morning.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
The other thing is that you lose a ton of money the minute you drive it out of the showroom. It'll probably lose half its value on the first day.

These sorts of cars are enthusiasts who have some sort of love relationship with a particular brand. They don't mind the car giving problems as it gives them a chance to shower the car with loving care and attention. You need to have a good friend who is a car mechanic who knows how to fix these finicky Italian showpieces.
Italian
I don't masturbate over Toyota and I have no emotional attachment to the brand whatsoever.

It's just that I have reached the point in my life where I want the car that is invisible in that I don't have to pay it any attention whatsoever.

That's what a Toyota does. It's there in the morning, it starts, it takes me to wherever i steer it to and then takes me home with zero drama no rattles, no surprises no strange engine or suspension noises.

In the evening I just leave it to the elements knowing that it will not corrode and will definitely start again the next morning.

Can the same be said about Honda or other Japanese brands? Or is it just Toyota ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Can the same be said about Honda or other Japanese brands? Or is it just Toyota ?

I'm sure Honda are up there with the best too. However my personal experience with Honda was not that good as I had corrosion issues in Singapore with both my Hondas. (accord and civic). That was many years ago and I assume that very few cars corrode in this day and age.

The reason why I like Toyota is because I have the confidence to buy used Toyotas. I drive them for a few years and then sell them with minimum depreciation. With other Jap brands the depreciation is greater.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm sure Honda are up there with the best too. However my personal experience with Honda was not that good as I had corrosion issues in Singapore with both my Hondas. (accord and civic). That was many years ago and I assume that very few cars corrode in this day and age.

The reason why I like Toyota is because I have the confidence to buy used Toyotas. I drive them for a few years and then sell them with minimum depreciation. With other Jap brands the depreciation is greater.

In Thailand Toyotas has teh best resale value especially the pickup trucks (same is Isuzu pickup trucks). Currently Ford Rangers may be selling very well however the resale value is a pain.