• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top 5 popiah stalls in Singapore

PaulStanley

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

CEOs choose best popiah stalls in S'pore

1822.jpg

Here are the top five popiah stalls (with a side serving of kueh pie tee) as voted by the panellists of the BT/Knight Frank CEOs' Hawker Choices 2013​

Singapore, February 17, 2013

Popular as an appetiser, popiah is also a meal for health-conscious hawker centre diners.
The secret to the tasty roll lies mainly in the texture of its skin and the fragrance of the braised shredded turnip.
Here are the top five popiah stalls (with a side serving of kueh pie tee) as voted by the panellists of the BT/Knight Frank CEOs' Hawker Choices 2013:

Kway Guan Huat
95 Joo Chiat Road
Open daily 9am to 5pm (dine-in available on weekends only from 11.30am to 3pm)
6344-2875
>> Read the review here.

Old Long House: Master of Popiah
Block 22 Lorong 7 Toa Payoh #01-03
Open 6am to 5pm, closed on Mondays
9171-7157
>> Read the review here.

968 Popiah
Hong Fu Lin 81 Eating House,
Block 81 Whampoa Drive
Open 1pm to 7pm, no fixed days off
9648-9350
>> Read the review here.

Qiji
109 North Bridge Road, Funan DigitaLife Mall, #01-17
Open from 9am to 8.30pm daily
>> Read the review here.

Miow Sin Popiah & Carrot Cake
Lavender Food Square
380 Jalan Besar #01-04
Open 8am to 12am, closed on alternate Wednesdays
>> Read the review here.

The Business Times/Knight Frank CEOs' Hawker Choices 2013 is a guide to the best street food in Singapore as chosen by Singapore's top executives.

How it works

A master panel of 10 distinguished professionals (listed below) created a master list of hawkers for each food category.

This list was subsequently sent out to The Business Times' CEO Club, comprising all the top management of companies based in Singapore, who were invited to vote for their favourite stalls.

The stalls with the most votes are then visited by BT Weekend's food reviewers and featured in a weekly spread in the Living section.

The objective of this series is to create an unbiased guide to the best hawker food in Singapore, as well as create a platform to help preserve the old cooking traditions that are in danger of dying out.

This series will run for 26 weeks, after which the content will be compiled into a guidebook, with sales proceeds to go towards furthering this and other charitable causes.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Xycu8y34XU?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Qiji can also make the list?

Sembanwang food centre locate along upper thomson road has a popiah stall. Can wait for 15-20min at meal time. Operate by a couple and in business for many years.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop reading the food reviews. Go to any hawker centre and you will find every other stalls get some kind of endorsements. BTW, the one at TPY Blk 22 went up in price from $1.00..$1.20...$1.30 with disappearing ingredients. The whole centre is full of queues from people who read and believe all the hype but you still get so-so fare. You also find idiots who tapau the soggy popiah home. If you like popiah, find a peranakan girl and ask to be invited to their next popiah feast. Not sure who took over now, in Malacca town area, a fat old man would push out his cart at night. Popiah is full of wondrous crunchy lard cubes.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Stop reading the food reviews. Go to any hawker centre and you will find every other stalls get some kind of endorsements. BTW, the one at TPY Blk 22 went up in price from $1.00..$1.20...$1.30 with disappearing ingredients. The whole centre is full of queues from people who read and believe all the hype but you still get so-so fare. You also find idiots who tapau the soggy popiah home. If you like popiah, find a peranakan girl and ask to be invited to their next popiah feast. Not sure who took over now, in Malacca town area, a fat old man would push out his cart at night. Popiah is full of wondrous crunchy lard cubes.

Nowadays, even new hawker comes with hordes of photos of celebrities, mags review and what nots.

Anyway, taste are very highly subjective and most of the time, your liking can be trace to the place you are raised and your first few bites. For example, my laksa is only yellow noodles, no hum and no prawn, and that is authentic to me, any other version is no no, no matter how good the review is.

You don't see Ah tiongs making a bee-line to our famous local food outlet?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Unsung Spring Roll - Singapore Nyonya

IMG_1501.jpg

I'm sure whenever I mention the word spring roll, it will be the crispy deep fried varieties that you get from Chinese takeaway that sprung to mind. It is now so ambiguous that even supermarket stock them in their ready meal or freezer section. These are all very well and obviously over the years, these crunchy vegetables-filled parcels have become symbolic of typical Chinese cooking but what is on every Singaporean's mind whenever spring rolls are mentioned are altogether a very different thing.

Popiah or Poh Piah is what we Singaporean considered as the goto spring roll of choice. Instead of having them deep fried, you get fresh egg pancake rolls, filled with delicious vegetables and meat mixtures. They are incredibly fresh and truly delicious and moreish. It is a shame though as it seems to be completely beyond the radar of any mentions of the best of Singapore hawker food. This is understandable as unlike Hainanese Chicken Rice, Char Kway Teow or Chilli Crab etc, it is not a complete meal due to its size portion. Even back in Singapore, we rarely have it on its own and very often it will the playing second fiddle to a main dish. It's more of a quick snack really.

IMG_1504.jpg

The making of the pancake itself is an art form that can only be attained through years of experience and lots of practise. It is made with a mixture of wheat flour, water, salt and egg. These ingredients are mix to form a soft elastic dough. This ball of dough is then rolled onto a hot steel pan and quickly lifted off again. This leave behind a thin layer of dough stuck to the pan which will then be cooked and that produced the right thickness for the rolling. I was always fascinated by the hawker vendors who did this with such dexterity and speed and can only ever aspired to be the same, but alas, try as I might, it is harder than it looked. And so I had to resort to an easier method for now, until the day I become a popiah skin master. The easier way is to dilute the flour mixture to a pouring consistency and spoon in the mixture with a ladle, just like making a traditional pancake. Less intimidating and much, much simpler.

IMG_2065.jpg

The filling is what set this apart from the Teochew/Hokkien version. A Nyonya popiah always contained julienned bangkuang (also known as Jicama or yam bean) and bamboo shoots. These are never shredded (shock horror my nan will be if she see that). Each element had to be painstakingly cut into batons by hand to provide the right consistency and texture with each mouthful. The ratio of the bangkuang to bamboo shoots too plays a very important part, there should always be at least twice as many bamboo shoots. In fact, according to my nan, the more the merrier. Another key difference is that the vegetable are cooked in taucheo (a typical Nyonya condiment) and a prawn-pork broth. I have opted to do without the stock here as I have made a vegetables version but if you are making a meat version*, just boil the pork and prawn shells in some water for 30 minutes, strain and use it in place of the water in the recipe.

For best nyonya popiah sold in public try Glory Foods Trading. I think it is in Katong along East Coast Road.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bedok Interchange HC how come no mention?
The stall that starts in the afternoon also selling kuey pie tee....always got queue

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop reading the food reviews. Go to any hawker centre and you will find every other stalls get some kind of endorsements.

there is a chicken rice (white only no roasted) stall at the Queen St Food Centre with Old Man's endorsement....hahaha, most of the tiem no business......back to topic....I like the Popiah at the Queen St FC, very tasty, a lot of the crunchy bits also

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is a chicken rice (white only no roasted) stall at the Queen St Food Centre with Old Man's endorsement....hahaha, most of the tiem no business......back to topic....I like the Popiah at the Queen St FC, very tasty, a lot of the crunchy bits also

Spit on that stall man! Its a chain with branches there, bedok and ghim moh among others.....
Name is TONG FUNG FATT.........ban, boycott.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spit on that stall man! Its a chain with branches there, bedok and ghim moh among others.....
Name is TONG FUNG FATT.........ban, boycott.

Yes, that's the name......I didn't know its a chain. Anyway, I prefer my chicken rice at another stall there. My 2nd choice there is the stall opposite their's. someone ta-pau for me (I didn't ask for it) this Tong Fung Fatt one before and it tasted horrible.... they have my spit already....

YanDao

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I like the one at Margret Drive Hawker which is no longer around. It is the one beside the fishball stall. Anyone knows where is it now?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Liang Yeow Chicken Rice, I miss their soup, very nice

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thomson Yaohan Foodcourt - popiah and laksa stall
big and juicy popiah -shiok!

also another good one - the one and only popiah stall at the Sembawang Hawker Centre in Jalan Leban. made by uncle and served by chio bu auntie...shiok popiah!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
kopiuncle, yaohan closed more than 10 years ago!!!!

the popiah stall is still there at the Kopitiam. they also sell "katong laksa" - not bad. the supermarket is now operated by fairprice liao..thank u. uncle still refers the old place as thomson yaohan....old liao. old brain cannot change:smile:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Look no further than the staLL Located at the basement of JaLan Berseh FC; aLong main Road of JaLan Besar.
@$1.50 per pc; it's a steaL considering their generous ingredients thrown in.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Look no further than the staLL Located at the basement of JaLan Berseh FC; aLong main Road of JaLan Besar.
@$1.50 per pc; it's a steaL considering their generous ingredients thrown in.

yes it's good!! long queue at lunch time...but must also try the Black & White Fish Soup - sedap!!!!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remembers some sports celebrity opened a wrap your own popiah somewhere in the city? Still around or close shop liao

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Anyone remembers some sports celebrity opened a wrap your own popiah somewhere in the city? Still around or close shop liao

aiyah narong wrap yourself popiah was once a popular thing to do and to show to guests
but damned messy lah
so i think it's all gone..
some hotels provide this wrap yourself popiah - it was a disaster!
gong xi fa cai to you - this is a popiah thread..cheers!!!:smile: