• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tokyo Olympics marathon swimming - Chantal Liew

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2017: personal best of 2:21:30, won SEA Games silver
Jun 2021: 2:12:19.5 finished 29th in the 10km race at FINA Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifier in Setubal, Portugal, qualified for Tokyo Olympics
Aug 2021: 2hrs 8min 17.9sec at Tokyo Olympics, 23rd out of 25 swimmers

At least her times kept improving.
But she still finished 23rd out of 25 despite her personal best.
Based on her qualifying time of 2:12:19.5, she would probably have finished dead last.
So she went to the Olympics not because she was a genuine medal contender but was there to "learn from the experience" at taxpayers' expense.

P.S. Can a moderator edit the heading to "Chantel Liew" instead of "Chantel"? Thanks

Olympics: I love what I do, says Singapore's marathon swimmer Chantal Liew after 'proud' Games debut​

dummy.gif

Chantal Liew clocked 2hr 8min 17.9sec as she became the Republic's first representative in the event.

1628051846877.png

Chantal Liew clocked 2hr 8min 17.9sec as she became the Republic's first representative in the event.ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
saa2.png

Sazali Abdul Aziz
Correspondent

Aug 4, 2021

TOKYO - A moment of levity turned sentimental at the Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo on Wednesday (Aug 4) morning.
Chantal Liew, barely out of the water and still in her wetsuit, with a red Team Singapore jacket draped over her shoulders, had just crossed the finish line in the marathon swimming event at the Olympic Games.
She placed 23rd out of 25 swimmers in a time of 2hrs 8min 17.9sec, and made history as the first Singaporean to swim in the event at the Olympics.
Brazil’s Ana Marcela Cunha won the gold in 1:59:30.8, less than a second from a fast-charging and defending champion Sharon van Rouwendaal. The Dutchwoman clocked 1:59:31.7 with Australian Kareena Lee (1:59:32.5) third.
Water still dripping from her shoulder-length hair, Liew wore a broad smile when she was interviewed minutes after her gruelling 10km swim and said she was proud of her achievement, having defied critics back home who questioned her Olympic pursuit.
Asked if she felt she had shut her doubters up, she said: “100 per cent”.

Then she turned to the media liaison next to her and asked: “Can I say it?”
The officer nodded.
“They can kiss my a**,” Liew said with a laugh, before her voice began to crack.
“I hope it shuts them up and I hope it shuts up all the armchair critics in Singapore,” she added with a tremor, as her coach Marcus Cheah laid a soothing arm on her back.

“It’s tough what we do. Athletes don’t want to perform badly, we all want to come here and perform our best. So I’m happy that I did what I did today. I can say the same, with confidence, for every other athlete that’s here in Tokyo right now.
“Sometimes your best is not good enough, sometimes it is… but you live and you learn, and at the end of the day, I love what I do… and no one can take that away from us.”
Liew, who turns 23 on Monday, has given up plenty in order to earn a place in Tokyo.
She had to juggle undergraduate studies at the National University of Singapore, an internship and training sessions as she worked toward her Olympic goal with Cheah, who has been her coach for about four years.
She also unloaded her university modules in order to ramp up preparations for the Games, where she did “intense heat swimming” in 35 deg Celsius water and 90 per cent humidity, up to four times a week, in Singapore.
This bore fruit with her performance in Tokyo, where the Japanese summer has taken its toll on many visiting athletes.
“It’s an amazing result for me and Marcus because essentially we’re open water rookies, and for the past year we had to figure a lot of things out on our own,” said Liew, who earned a silver in the event at the 2017 SEA Games.
She timed 2:21:30 at the Kuala Lumpur Games and clocked 2:12:20 at the recent Fina Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifiers in June in Portugal.
Tokyo was intended to be her retirement race, and for months she repeated she was ready to move on from sport.
Cheah, however, remained hopeful, pointing out that most of the field were 29 or 30 years old and Liew holding her own at 22 was a reason to be “extremely proud”.
Asked if she would consider changing her mind about retirement, Liew said: “I’m definitely thinking about that but… I think I need a long break, sit on it for a while before I make a final decision.”
But if that was her final race?
“I couldn’t have ended it on a better note.”

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chantel is when future billionaire PM set up 5G company selling hand phone plans. :smile:

semiboiled

Alfrescian
Loyal
2017: personal best of 2:21:30, won SEA Games silver
Jun 2021: 2:12:19.5 finished 29th in the 10km race at FINA Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifier in Setubal, Portugal, qualified for Tokyo Olympics
Aug 2021: 2hrs 8min 17.9sec at Tokyo Olympics, 23rd out of 25 swimmers

At least her times kept improving.
But she still finished 23rd out of 25 despite her personal best.
Based on her qualifying time of 2:12:19.5, she would probably have finished dead last.
So she went to the Olympics not because she was a genuine medal contender but was there to "learn from the experience" at taxpayers' expense.

P.S. Can a moderator edit the heading to "Chantel Liew" instead of "Chantel"? Thanks

Olympics: I love what I do, says Singapore's marathon swimmer Chantal Liew after 'proud' Games debut​

dummy.gif

Chantal Liew clocked 2hr 8min 17.9sec as she became the Republic's first representative in the event.'s first representative in the event.

View attachment 118724

Chantal Liew clocked 2hr 8min 17.9sec as she became the Republic's first representative in the event.ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
saa2.png

Sazali Abdul Aziz
Correspondent

Aug 4, 2021

TOKYO - A moment of levity turned sentimental at the Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo on Wednesday (Aug 4) morning.
Chantal Liew, barely out of the water and still in her wetsuit, with a red Team Singapore jacket draped over her shoulders, had just crossed the finish line in the marathon swimming event at the Olympic Games.
She placed 23rd out of 25 swimmers in a time of 2hrs 8min 17.9sec, and made history as the first Singaporean to swim in the event at the Olympics.
Brazil’s Ana Marcela Cunha won the gold in 1:59:30.8, less than a second from a fast-charging and defending champion Sharon van Rouwendaal. The Dutchwoman clocked 1:59:31.7 with Australian Kareena Lee (1:59:32.5) third.
Water still dripping from her shoulder-length hair, Liew wore a broad smile when she was interviewed minutes after her gruelling 10km swim and said she was proud of her achievement, having defied critics back home who questioned her Olympic pursuit.
Asked if she felt she had shut her doubters up, she said: “100 per cent”.

Then she turned to the media liaison next to her and asked: “Can I say it?”
The officer nodded.
“They can kiss my a**,” Liew said with a laugh, before her voice began to crack.
“I hope it shuts them up and I hope it shuts up all the armchair critics in Singapore,” she added with a tremor, as her coach Marcus Cheah laid a soothing arm on her back.

“It’s tough what we do. Athletes don’t want to perform badly, we all want to come here and perform our best. So I’m happy that I did what I did today. I can say the same, with confidence, for every other athlete that’s here in Tokyo right now.
“Sometimes your best is not good enough, sometimes it is… but you live and you learn, and at the end of the day, I love what I do… and no one can take that away from us.”
Liew, who turns 23 on Monday, has given up plenty in order to earn a place in Tokyo.
She had to juggle undergraduate studies at the National University of Singapore, an internship and training sessions as she worked toward her Olympic goal with Cheah, who has been her coach for about four years.
She also unloaded her university modules in order to ramp up preparations for the Games, where she did “intense heat swimming” in 35 deg Celsius water and 90 per cent humidity, up to four times a week, in Singapore.
This bore fruit with her performance in Tokyo, where the Japanese summer has taken its toll on many visiting athletes.
“It’s an amazing result for me and Marcus because essentially we’re open water rookies, and for the past year we had to figure a lot of things out on our own,” said Liew, who earned a silver in the event at the 2017 SEA Games.
She timed 2:21:30 at the Kuala Lumpur Games and clocked 2:12:20 at the recent Fina Olympic Marathon Swim Qualifiers in June in Portugal.
Tokyo was intended to be her retirement race, and for months she repeated she was ready to move on from sport.
Cheah, however, remained hopeful, pointing out that most of the field were 29 or 30 years old and Liew holding her own at 22 was a reason to be “extremely proud”.
Asked if she would consider changing her mind about retirement, Liew said: “I’m definitely thinking about that but… I think I need a long break, sit on it for a while before I make a final decision.”
But if that was her final race?
“I couldn’t have ended it on a better note.”
Congratulations to Chantal Liew.

I always respect distance swimmers (as compared to those 50m to 200m) swimmers because the mental strength you need to complete the 5km or 10km is much much tougher with the time and distance you have to endure. And mind you, this isnopen water 10km which is even tougher than swimming in the pool as she has to battle the current and waves.

Well done once again to Chantal Liew. You did yourself proud.

To finish 10km open water in 2:08:17 is a very good timing. You have every right to fuck those armchair critics who probably doesn't even know how to swim in the swimming pool.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who loves to cite “taxpayers’ money” May I ask how much tax you paid? The only thing you can ask of an Olympian is to produce a PB, period!

In the context of Singapore, given that SG has close to a trillion in reserves and that most of govt expenditure is funded by investment returns, not taxes, it would be more accurate to say: "citizens' monies", be it from taxes or from investment returns. The key point is that the money that is spent at the Olympics belong to the citizens and there must be accountability.

It is fair for the Olympian to do his/her best and produce, or come close, to their personal bests. But Joseph Schooling was like 3 seconds behind his Olympic record. Chantal Liew did improve on her PB, but her attitude sucks: to ask people to kiss her ass. She can do that if she pays for her own trip. The least she can do is to have two ripostes: a retort to her critics but also a thank you to the citizens who ultimately paid for her trip.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In the context of Singapore, given that SG has close to a trillion in reserves and that most of govt expenditure is funded by investment returns, not taxes, it would be more accurate to say: "citizens' monies", be it from taxes or from investment returns. The key point is that the money that is spent at the Olympics belong to the citizens and there must be accountability.

It is fair for the Olympian to do his/her best and produce, or come close, to their personal bests. But Joseph Schooling was like 3 seconds behind his Olympic record. Chantal Liew did improve on her PB, but her attitude sucks: to ask people to kiss her ass. She can do that if she pays for her own trip. The least she can do is to have two ripostes: a retort to her critics but also a thank you to the citizens who ultimately paid for her trip.
I think Sinkies are way too calculative. It is this type of attitude that prevents sports from flourishing beyond local standards. It is like asking for guaranteed investment return. The most vocal are the online warriors who are not even in tax paying brackets!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That means she's barely reached her prime for that event. Should be good to go for 2 more Games at least

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who loves to cite “taxpayers’ money” May I ask how much tax you paid? The only thing you can ask of an Olympian is to produce a PB, period!

We would not have a problem with her if she did not mouth off "kiss my ass". If you come in 3rd last just admit that you are no where close to the medals despite your PB.

A humble "i will try harder" would have sufficed

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also marathon swimmer. The dry swimming ones. My record is dry swimming 23 hours. Where do register for Guinness record ?

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We would not have a problem with her if she did not mouth off "kiss my ass". If you come in 3rd last just admit that you are no where close to the medals despite your PB.

A humble "i will try harder" would have sufficed
Actually it is nice to see some real people displaying real emotions saying real things. Leave the political correctness to the politicians. I personally would have loved to say “kiss my ass” to Sinkies who can’t swim 10 laps or run 50m. She spoke my mind. Bravo!