• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Today: Easing Net Rules won't change politics

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Easing Net rules won’t change politics?’

Ansley Ng

[email protected]

THE Opposition candidate at the centre of a storm in the 2006 General Election has returned, this time with a doctorate — and a thesis which says that the liberalisation of political content online will notloosen the grip of the ruling party here.
Dr James Gomez (picture), who was embroiled in a furore over his election papers two years ago, spoke to reporters on the sidelines of a convocation ceremony at the Ritz Carlton on Friday, where he received his doctorate from Monash University.
Releasing a summary of his thesis to the media, he said the freedom to distribute alternative political content through the Internet will not lead to a change in electoral results.
Pointing to statistics, he said through three elections the past 12 years, alternative Internet content — seen by some to “mitigate censorship and bias” reporting of the mainstream media — has had no effect on the overall results of the People’s Action Party.
Dr Gomez caused a stir in the 2006 polls after his Minority Certificate application was not submitted. He initially blamed the Elections Department for losing his form but video evidence showed that he had not handed over the papers.
After he was let off with a police warning for using threatening language against a civil servant, he flew to Sweden where he worked as a policy analyst at think tank International Idea.
He relocated to Tokyo and is now a visiting scholar at Keio University’s political science department.
Dr Gomez’ findings contradict what has been said by Mr Cheong Yip Seng, chairman of the Advisory Council on the Impact of New Media on Society, about relaxed regulations on politics and new media.
The Government recently announced that online political content would be liberalised, with Mr Cheong saying the new rules would have a “profound” effect on the electoral process.
“It’s a very clear acknowledgement that the new media is an important part of the exercise and how you use it can have a big influence on the vote,” he said at a press conference last month.
Dr Gomez said such arguments do not hold water because the electoral process in Singapore is unshakeable.
Come the next election, which is expected in 2011, there would be “no more the surprise of YouTube”, like what happened in 2006 when videos of rallies and speeches were posted online.
With the relaxation of rules, poltical parties which were not so active on using videos, will be more open to using the Internet, he said.
Asked about his own participation in local politics, Dr Gomez, who would return permanently to Singapore in December, remained coy.
“I think it’s a little too far ahead, but I’d be happy to discuss this further when I return in December, when I have time to settle down,” he said, adding that he would meet several of his “colleagues” in the Workers’ Party before returning to Japan next week.

Papititis

Alfrescian
Loyal
A question here. How many people of voting age actually spent time perusing the content of local political forums . I have to admit I was surprised when I conducted my own private poll of about 50 acquaintances.. Que sera, sera.

A

Alu862

Gomez therefore will have the backing of the PAP. The Internet is a nobody for them