• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice = LOUSY

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it still the short guy with the combed back hair? I'll be very surprised if that uncle is still working

Short old, very old man in white shirt always behind the wooden counter. Never went back after i was scolded by him in madarin after i asked him in hainanese if they served pork chop, but i saw him recently before covid at the restaurant. The chicken rice at the other hainanese coffeeshop beside the hainan hwee kuan is not bad too, and $2 cheaper I find it better than chin chin which is opposite yet con.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Short old, very old man in white shirt always behind the wooden counter. Never went back after i was scolded by him in madarin after i asked him in hainanese if they served pork chop, but i saw him recently before covid at the restaurant. The chicken rice at the other hainanese coffeeshop beside the hainan hwee kuan is not bad too, and $2 cheaper I find it better than chin chin which is opposite yet con.
I see. Then it is likely the same behdeh.

To be totally honest, the chicken rice at Yet Con is not that great. They serve the real traditional Hainanese chicken rice is quite dry (no sesame oil and soy sauce). This is OK in Hainan where the chicken are organic but I don't think it works here with our tasteless steroid fed chickens.

Used to go there for family dinners so there's definitely some sentimental attachment. And a real heritage site.

I agree Chin Chin's food is better. Never tried the stall beside the clan association. Will check it out next time when I have the chance. :thumbsup:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will never forget that old fucker. He's fucking rude towards locals and patronising towards foreigners. I go there regularly just for nostalgia's sake as it was the only place that gave me a 1970s vibe. In addition, I enjoy the novelty of eating chicken rice with bowl and chopsticks. The rice was fragrant, dry and not oily, unlike what you see elsewhere nowadays.
I also believe that fucker has trust issues as I don't remember seeing his staff ever manning the counter.

Last edited:

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal

The old man is the son of the founder who had kicked the bucket in the 80s I think.

bonds

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMG_20201202_105338.jpg

IMG_20201202_105323.jpg

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must be some food beggar angry about being ask to pay for food he blogging about. Pay them no heed. I hungry I just order what ever. Just like the pap they not perfect but they better than the competition. :geek:

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 80s, there used to be a damn good soya sauce chicken rice stall at Victoria Hotel (next to Tai Pan Hotel). Beats any of the present day Michelin star stores hands down. I met one of the former waitresses recently. Her grandson is already in his 20s.