• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tian Tian Chicken Rice - worth the wait?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.soshiok.com/articles/14072/

Tian Tian Chicken Rice - worth the wait?

Mon Sep 07 2009
Audrey Phoon
The Business Times

tian.jpg

Singapore, September 5, 2009 - TO queue or not to queue?
That is the question when it comes to Tian Tian. Many of those who do - workers from around the area who spend precious minutes of their lunchtime in line; sweaty tourists clutching guidebooks that have pointed them there - find it worth their while for a helping of what celebrity chefs Anthony Bourdain and Tetsuya Wakuda have christened the best chicken rice in the world.
And indeed, the chicken (there's only the steamed kind here, which you can have with separate side orders of beansprouts or cuttlefish) is moist and tender, and the al dente-style rice is all plump grains with shiny coats of chicken fat fried with gobs of garlic and ginger.
But is it the best, or even worth a 20-minute wait? The flavour of the chicken itself can be lacklustre, and the lime-infused chilli sauce is flat. The rice could do with a little more fragrance too.
At $2.80 for a small serving and $3.30 for a large one, though, Tian Tian doesn't gobble up the pocket as it does your time. And there's no doubt overall quality is more than decent.

Perhaps the best solution, then, is to call the lady boss Mrs Loi and do a takeaway if you have more than six orders - she'll have it ready for you by the time you arrive so you can skip the queue and still have your fix.
Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice Stall
No 10 Maxwell Food Centre Maxwell Road
Tel: 9691-4852
11am to 8pm (closed Mondays)

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[
11am to 8pm (closed Mondays)]

so good meh?
sure or not.
maybe i should try too.
actually my fav is the one at far east plaza.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really don't understand most people. Recently, a new colleague HO GAI SEOW ('good recommendation') say one stall has heavenly assorted veggie rice.

So i decided to try it out. CCB... sweat like a pig waiting in a long snake queue and after finishing the meal, really damn du lan.

CAI PENG is just CAI PENG. Nothing special!

I can bet alot of ppl are gonna be swearing after queuing for this chicken rice and eating it.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[

so good meh?
sure or not.
maybe i should try too.

IMO Totally overrated. It's fairly good but I've had better. In fact there's another chicken rice stall at Maxwell that serves equally good Chicken Rice.

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of those who do - workers from around the area who spend precious minutes of their lunchtime in line; sweaty tourists clutching guidebooks that have pointed them there - find it worth their while for a helping of what celebrity chefs Anthony Bourdain and Tetsuya Wakuda have christened the best chicken rice in the world.
(closed Mondays)

how many chicken rice have they tried to give such a comment?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
is it this one?

Hainanese Delicacy
14 Scotts Road, #05-116 Far East Plaza

btw tian tian and is good...no roast chicken though...

[

so good meh?
sure or not.
maybe i should try too.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally I think it is above average. A few stalls down there is also a Mediacorps recommended Chicken Rice stall, this one also not bad.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw the segment by Anthony Bourdain, he didn't recommend it. Some jakun did. Other jakuns chipped in and tell him the best way is to smother the rice with chillies, soya sauce before taking a mouthful. I think he got taken a ride.

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
how many chicken rice have they tried to give such a comment?

these so called expert are all folloer la,

honestly i tried last year, luckyly is my friend do the quening. my comment is, if wait for more than 15 minutes i will give up. and go to another chicken rice stall. cos to me this stall chicken rice is not wroth my 15 minutes wait, even is free.

just like the lavender foot court wonton noodle, i will not quene for it for 15 minutes, i can alway eat wonton noodle equally good without spending too much time waiting.

most hawker food, no matter how good they are, i can alway find some stall

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
i find the chicken rice at lucky plaza good...dong fong fa is also not bad...just dun go to chatterbox...it's a disgrace to chicken rice...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I want to enjoy a good dish like Tian Tian, I go at 2.45 to 3pm. No queue, no one waiting to grab my seat/table, chit chat with the boss, enjoy the dish.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
which is the best IYO?

Its not the best I've had but a personal fav is the one at Redhill Market. Can't remember the name of the stall, its only open in the morning to early afternoon. It's at the 2nd row, pretty easy to spot since there is always a long queue. The rice is very fragrant but its not oily at all.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
IMO Totally overrated. It's fairly good but I've had better. In fact there's another chicken rice stall at Maxwell that serves equally good Chicken Rice.

The other stall has better chicken but the rice can do better

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Been a long , long time since I've tried Swee Kee's chicken rice.

Where are they located now? How's the quality:confused: