• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thorough financial prescription for an SME to survive in the harshly unforgiving SG biz environment

EunoiaJAYCEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Money makes the world go round not just once, but several times. Yes very true indeed: no money, no honey. Except an SME isn't blessed with a sizeable war chest, else life wouldn't be so darn thorny. Everything costs more than something these days- supplies, hiring the accountant, hell probably even your lawyer buddy back from the National Service days wants a piece of your ass simply for offering 5 minutes of legal advice. Coupled with soaring rental rates, increasingly expensive inventory and the taxman constantly breathing down your neck, it is surprising SMEs haven't been construed as "So Many (have) Exited".

When you are small, being supremely pessimistic might just see your business endure another day properly. But you say you want to achieve so much more; you want your baby to evolve into a juggernaut, to become the next Uber or Alibaba Group. Hey Peter Pan (or Daisy Duck or whatever your name is), dream those lofty ambitions when you are tucked in bed at night yeah? Until some angel investor comes knocking (more often than not and your grey matter knows it), time to stay really grounded in reality and start learning to be a world-champion penny pincher. Here's how:

1. Don't bite off more than you can chew

For starters, secure the minimal amount of resources needed to keep your business afloat. Do not rent more space than you need, do not purchase excessive quantities of stock. Any scaling up should be done with utmost care and thorough market research. Get ahead of yourself, you might just end up shedding enormous tears of grief when you get hounded by the landlord and a whole assortment of vendors for not being able to keep up with payment schedules.

2. Save, save and save some more

Not just for a rainy day, but also a possible massive thunderstorm. Anticipate dismal earnings associated with extremely lull trading periods, produce revenue forecasts and accumulate reserves to weather roller-coasters in consumer sentiment and seasonal influx of competitors. If you don't require a car to get to work, settle for public transport. If wholemeal bread, a hard boiled egg and plain water accounts for sufficient nourishment, so be it. An entire universe of enterprises have gone six feet under in their infancy stages because they were helmed by folks who didn't pursue serious money management strategies and splurged on senseless luxuries.

More at https://www.prolificcrap.com/single...e-harshly-unforgiving-SG-business-environment

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is the writer some academic from our "world class" universities or someone who has experience in running a successful SME in Singapore?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How about pearls of wisdom from towkay John Tan?

1. Offer premium services in order to have better margins.

Instead of selling $3 bak chor mee, why not sell $10 pasta or ramen? They are all different versions of bak chor mee, but the sinkie chink version has the lowest market value and price inelasticity.

2. Control your costs

Don't be too eager to accept high rents or high labour costs from sinkies workers. Hire foreigners. Beat the quota system by employing your grandma and feeble parents. That will allow you to hire more foreigners. Pinoys are the best, followed by jiuhukias.

3. Network!

It's not just what you know, but who you know! Join the grassroots or some exclusive countryclub to meet influential towkays, captains of industry, senior civil servants and your neighbourhood's MPs.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
What kind of idiot article is this? Who is the writer of this useless pile of junk?

U can tell this idiot has never put in a honest day of work.

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
Screw ball the clone is soooooooo right!!!!!

He is super successful entrepreneur and knows what really works! What was your company turnover last year huh? $500 ?

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Business advice is invariably full of motherhood statements simply because there is no magic formula for making money.

From personal experience I have found that success requires a good portion of luck and it is in timing where luck needs to play a significant role.

For example I sold a lot of shares in 1996/97. Had I held on for another six months I would not have been able to retire early. I did not sell when I did because I had foresight. I sold because I wanted to retire early. In fact I had pangs of doubt that I was cashing in far too early. Turns out I escaped a recession by the skin of my teeth.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Advice number 1: Fuck doing business in Singapore. The government's tentacles reach out to almost all aspects of businesses here. How can SMEs survive?

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
Business advice is invariably full of motherhood statements simply because there is no magic formula for making money.

From personal experience I have found that success requires a good portion of luck and it is in timing where luck needs to play a significant role.

For example I sold a lot of shares in 1996/97. Had I held on for another six months I would not have been able to retire early. I did not sell when I did because I had foresight. I sold because I wanted to retire early. In fact I had pangs of doubt that I was cashing in far too early. Turns out I escaped a recession by the skin of my teeth.

Now with your *ahem* site (you know which one i am referring to) you can laugh all the way to the bank.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is the writer some academic from our "world class" universities or someone who has experience in running a successful SME in Singapore?
Probably someone who didn't believe in PAP shit and wanted to bring 70% voters back to reality and stop dreaming..

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about pearls of wisdom from towkay John Tan?

1. Offer premium services in order to have better margins.

Instead of selling $3 bak chor mee, why not sell $10 pasta or ramen? They are all different versions of bak chor mee, but the sinkie chink version has the lowest market value and price inelasticity.

2. Control your costs

Don't be too eager to accept high rents or high labour costs from sinkies workers. Hire foreigners. Beat the quota system by employing your grandma and feeble parents. That will allow you to hire more foreigners. Pinoys are the best, followed by jiuhukias.

3. Network!

It's not just what you know, but who you know! Join the grassroots or some exclusive countryclub to meet influential towkays, captains of industry, senior civil servants and your neighbourhood's MPs.

ok i join grass loot ,
can i sell mee siam without haum at $20 a bowl ?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Advice number 1: Fuck doing business in Singapore. The government's tentacles reach out to almost all aspects of businesses here. How can SMEs survive?
Most SMEs survived by being PAP cronies. You think our SME bosses are all talented and smart? No! They are a bunch of meek, carrot-catching, gutless obedient piece of shit under PAP beck-n-call.