• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This old man got the system right..

YanDao

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You have to be the top if not everything else does not matter. You will just be a worker.

SINGAPORE - Every Friday evening, she makes her way to Geylang - alone.

There, she surfs the Internet and chats to her Papa. On Sunday, she returns to her guardian's flat in the north of Singapore.

This routine started when she was just eight years old. Sara (we're not using her real name, to protect her identity) is now 14.

Asked about Geylang's seedy reputation, she says: "There's nothing to be worried about. I've been travelling like this since young. I'm used to it."

In the estate that she said was like a second home, people leave her alone. Ditto for the men who wander in and out of the workshop past midnight. "They (Papa's friends) know who I am. After all, they've seen me since I was a little kid."

Sara recounted: "There was only once when a taxi driver wanted to know what I was doing in Geylang so late. He had no more questions after I said I was visiting my father's house."

She likes visiting her father as she can surf the Net to her heart's content and sleep late. Her guardian, to whom Mr Koh pays a $300 monthly stipend, "is rather strict".

Sara's wish - to live with her father in their own place - is a distant hope, for now. "Papa says there's no money, so we have to wait until things get better."

Her biological mother is a taboo topic. "Papa says he doesn't know (when I ask about her)," Sara added.

"My birth cert has her name and age but that's all. I don't know how they met. She's in Thailand and I don't even know how to start looking for her." There is no photo to refer to, nothing except the observation: "Papa said I have her lips".

She has an equally vague memory of linking her father with the Chinese masseuse, as he claimed.

"I met China mum in Shenzhen. Papa asked who among the foot reflexologist staff I preferred," Sara recalled. "I didn't know what was going on, so I just anyhow pointed."

She has little interaction with her father's ex-wife and paternal relatives in Singapore. Neither does she keep in touch with her Batam stepmother or step-siblings, as she does not speak Bahasa Indonesia.

The self-described average Express-stream student likes maths but is "not very good at it". To which her father remarked: "No point studying so much, unless you're among the top students. Better to work instead."

But Sara has her own dream: "I don't really know what to study in future but I hope I can be a star because I like to dance."

Last edited:

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor girl, at least her dad had the decency to put her up in a foster home, where she might have a sembalance of a normal family.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thats true but singapore is a country of irony and self delusion,here we believe in meritocracy where only those who so called "can make it" are rewarded and the rest suffers...... unlike australia.

the second irony is everyone wishes they can be among the best,but the truth is just like the law of distribution in iq,majority of us fall under the range of normal, cant make it,and only a minority are born gifted,no matter how hard u try......this results in an entire population expanding a whole lot of energy chasing after impossible pipe dreams.....while those at the top,familee and cronies are laughing their way to the bank.

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
A long time ago, geylang wasn't do seedy. Its the best place for cheap hotels. Guillemard hotel etc. Hotel 81 just started. Parking was free. Then the gals came by the truckloads.