• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This is the reason why Sydney house prices is so expensive.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even a final year accounting graduate can afford to pay for a $495K one bedroom apartment. Let alone the $1million McMansion when she starts working. Most likely a PRC mei mei with rich parents back home.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/plans-for-the-future-20120224-1trbw.html

Plans for the future
Susan Wellings
February 25, 2012

Comments 18

Jacinta Lai was able to snap up a unit off the plan in Macquarie Central.

Jacinta Lai was able to snap up a unit off the plan in Macquarie Central.

Units are in short supply, but there are quality projects in the offing.

There's a multitude of plans for new apartment buildings being unveiled for this year and a variety of new stages in developments now being built.

Yet despite Sydney apartment construction rising slightly in the the past year - recent ABS data shows apartment approvals jumped 7.4 per cent in 2011 - there's still a massive shortfall. There are simply not enough new developments to accommodate the up to 80,000 people moving to Sydney each year, given that just 23,051 new dwellings were built in 2011 (see Weekly Snapshot, Domain Houses).

''There's an enormous shortfall,'' says the chief executive of Urban Taskforce Australia, Chris Johnson. ''Because of the current economic climate and the uncertainty of planning, the development industry is being very cautious in relation to building new apartments, particularly within the Sydney metropolitan area. There'll be a big problem down the track.''
Advertisement: Story continues below
An artist's impression of Jade in the CBD. Click for more photos
Future developments

An artist's impression of Jade in the CBD.

An artist's impression of Jade in the CBD.
An artist's impression of Auralia at Greeenwich.
An artist's impression of the Quay at Haymarket.
An artist's impression of a Macquarie Central interior.

But 2012 still offers variety.

City

Two 16- to 17-storey towers are set to be built above a two- and three-level podium in the centre of Haymarket. Called The Quay, the $104 million development from Metro Plaza Central will offer one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, some with studies and all with balconies and louvres.

''It's a premium location and a very rare site right in the heart of Chinatown,'' says David Milton from CBRE.

Work is finally starting on the long-vacant site at 141 Elizabeth Street, overlooking Hyde Park, set to house the 17-level, 19-apartment luxury building eliza. Every floor will have a different shape and each apartment will be bespoke. ''Eliza will be a world-class apartment building unlike anything ever built in Sydney,'' says the director of Ceerose, Edward Doueihi.

There will be 10 half-floor apartments with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a study, from $1.7 million, and eight four-bedroom apartments, each taking up an entire floor, from $4 million. The two-level penthouse will have its own infinity-edge pool.

With excavation work having begun at the infill site at 267 Sussex Street, only five of the 23 apartments being built at the 13-storey glass-walled tower Jade remain. The apartments all have full-height glass in all the living areas. Two-bedroom apartments (80 sq m) are from $780,000, while the 154 sq m penthouse is for sale off the plan at $1.7 million. ''The prospect of Manhattan-style accommodation in this vibrant part of the Sydney CBD has been a lure for purchasers,'' says the development manager of Ceerose, Daniel McNamara.

In Victoria Park at Waterloo, plans have been drawn up for a new 22-level building, Ruby, designed by architect POPOVbass. ''It's set to be the signature development within Victoria Park,'' Milton says.

Close by will be Meriton's EON, with a range of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments across six buildings. Prices will range from $420,000 to $975,000.

A new release of apartments at Becton's Divercity is set for March 17, comprising 112 SJB-designed one- and two-bed apartments. Prices for one-bedders (from 62 sq m) will start at $425,000 and two-bedders (from 87 sq m) at $599,000.

East

The $100 million-plus conversion of the Old Swiss Grand at Bondi Beach, billed as the most prestigious site on Campbell Parade, is set to go ahead after numerous delays. Under the moniker Pacific Bondi Beach, it's set to house 95 apartments, a 69-apartment hotel and a two-level retail and restaurant precinct.

''It's the last development site in Bondi Beach and the largest,'' says co-owner and developer Allen Linz. ''We don't know of any comparable type of development that has such a mix of development in such a prime location, with facilities like valet parking and concierge for residents, hotel guests and restaurant diners.''

The apartments, with a choice of interiors designed by architectural firms including SJB Architects, PTW and Koichi Takada, will start about $500,000 for 45 sq m studios up to an expected $15 million for a 300 sq m, three-bedroom penthouse with lofty domed ceilings. They'll go on sale off the plan in three to four months, through Justin Brown of CBRE.

Close by, work has also now started on Boheme, the Hall Street development of 44 apartments and 113 serviced apartments on the site of the old Hakoah Club. Designed by Bates Smart Architects, there are five levels of horizontal bands of glass - inspired by art deco-era buildings - above the lower podium retail levels.

Further south, there are 20 apartments left in Solis, the first release at Little Bay Cove - both one-bedroom (50 sq m) and one-plus-study (60 sq m) apartments, starting from $480,000.

Another release is scheduled to take place in April, offering one-, two- and three-bedders. Prices and sizes have yet to be set.

Further in, at Potts Point, there's Manor, with new one- and two-bedroom apartments priced from $495,000 and being sold in the set-to-be renovated Mansions Hotel. See manorpottspoint.com.au.

Inner west

A boutique block of only 20 one- and two-bedroom apartments, Nuovo, is just being finished in Five Dock, close to the heart of the village. With the original developer unable to complete the building three years ago, Ernst & Young has now stepped in to oversee the final stages and sales process.

''It's a bit of a unique system: we're inviting people to make an offer on what they feel the apartments are worth based on what else there is in the neighbourhood,'' says a sales agent for CBRE, Lawton Cooper. ''The one-beds will probably be in the early $400,000s and the two-beds over $550,000.'' A display apartment will open in two weeks.

Another 300 apartments are set to be put up for sale off the plan in Erskineville, in the new building Erko. Designed by SJB, the one-, one-plus-study, two- and three-bedroom units will be released in stages in the second quarter of this year. There are also a selection of two- and three-bedroom terraces. Prices have yet to be set.

North shore

One of the few new developments on the lower north shore qualifying for the stamp duty concession, the 131-apartment development Auralia in Greenwich will be launched next month, with a selection of one-bedroom and one-plus-study units, all with parking, to be sold off the plan from $510,000.

Set in six buildings of six levels each, they've been designed by architectural firm Marchese Partners and developed by the Oatley family of Hamilton Island fame. ''If you're looking for a one-bed or one-bed-and-study that isn't in a high-rise, then this is quite rare,'' says the development manager, Robert Bevan.

Right in Hunters Hill Village, a new development of one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments is planned, called Hunters Hill Apartments. With good district and city views, they've been designed for owner-occupiers in mind, with quality finishes including stone floors.

In Mosman village, there's another set of new apartments due to be built, Marque. They're said to be designed to have stunning views out to the city and harbour.

Meanwhile, at the Toga Group's 630-unit, five-tower development Macquarie Central adjoining Macquarie University, the railway and shopping centre, stage two is set to be released early next month after the first release sold out within weeks late last year.

''It's a very strong and high-rental-demand area and is considered one of Sydney's best growth areas,'' says CBRE's David Milton.
Apartment purchase adds up for accounting student

jacinta-lai_729-420x0.jpg

University student Jacinta Lai (pictured) was keen to live in a new apartment and, with a little help from her parents, was one of the first to snap up a unit off the plan in Macquarie Central.

''A lot of apartments around Macquarie Park aren't very modern,'' says Lai, 21, who's in her final year of a degree in accounting at The University of Sydney.

''So I saw this development as a great opportunity to buy something new.'' Lai decided on a one-bedroom unit on the seventh floor for $495,000, while a friend who came to the opening with her also put his name down to buy one in the second release.

''It's so light and bright and everything flows nicely on the plans,'' Lai says. ''I think I'll be more than happy there when it's been built and it's time to move in.''

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't give up ! Never say die ! (Just like me..)

Dude, I have been rejected for a job again. I am nearly there but not quite there.. out of 40-50 applicants, I managed to get into top 3-4.. but fail in the final round for the 3rd time @#$%^&..
Perth Mining did not shortlist me.. Melbourne prefers older dudes.. I am dead..
At the meantime, I am looking forward to collect my 320d this Saturday :-)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are rich Singaporean students who do not need to rent. The parents buy houses for them to live in.

I happened to know parents who are still supporting her 30+yo daughter and her "useless" husband, a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu
http://www.lecordonbleu.com.au/

These Singaporeans really have a good life, shuttling between Australia and Singapore 5-6 times a year. The son-in-law ex girlfriend, another Le Cordon grad is now working in a call centre.

Last edited:

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are rich Singaporean students who do not need to rent. The parents buy houses for them to live in.

I happened to know parents who are still supporting her 30+yo daughter and her "useless" husband, a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu

These Singaporeans really have a good life, shuttling between Australia and Singapore 5-6 times a year. The son-in-law ex girlfriend, another Le Cordon grad is now working in a call centre.

Wait a minute!!!! Did i read correctly?

The parent supporting her married daughter and her husband???? what the hell is that????

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wait a minute!!!! Did i read correctly?

The parent supporting her married daughter and her husband???? what the hell is that????

Parenting went wrong? Not the first case. Spoilt from young. I was told.

I believe that the husband did not even graduate. Became a metro bus driver or something.

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hey Ned, why cant they get jobs after getting their LeCordon cert? I am a chef myself and got a few job offers in OZ. Currently waiting for a work visa.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey Ned, why cant they get jobs after getting their LeCordon cert? I am a chef myself and got a few job offers in OZ. Currently waiting for a work visa.

I think the guy dropped out. Change his mind?

It is not that they cannot find a job. Some youngsters would rather lie on the couch the whole day playing with their electronic gadgets.

You should know how tough it is to work as a chef. Many chefs stop waking up to do lunch hours in Perth.

Chefs like Karen Martini are trained in the old ways, when she really has to have the discipline to learn the basic skills. These days, these old schools do not exist anymore in Australia.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shows that even if you rich and send your kids to the best school in the world they could end up being just like that. Parenting does not begins in schools but at home!

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shows that even if you rich and send your kids to the best school in the world they could end up being just like that. Parenting does not begins in schools but at home!

That's so true. Even people from SHATEC are lazy. Don't wanna do the daily dirty work as required as a chef like cleaning. The motivational level is peesai for the FnB sector is zero. There are some exceptional chefs though but the wages are shit due to FTs, after awhile these chefs who are in their 30s like me give up the trade altogether. A lot of youngsters today are just in it cause they think they can be the next Jamie Oliver but they soon realised that it's hard work being a chef. On top of that you need to get along very well with ur piers in the kitchen.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many chefs stop waking up to do lunch hours in Perth.

Sorry man I don't get what you mean by this statement.

Anyway I'm in my late 30s and been through everything the Fnb line have thrown at me. I've seen alot of chefs come and go, some good but alot bad chefs. To be honest, I've never come across a good chef from Le Cordon Bleu. The ones I've worked with in the past can't cook well, even the basic asian dishes. I will only hire a chef if he is not pretentious in his cooking. He have to be able to cook his favourite dishes like example chicken rice and char kway teow or a good bowl of laksa. Whats the point knowing a French dish if he doesn't eat that shit all his life.

Also the other important thing I look for is cleanliness. Lately restaurants in peesai is getting alot of pinoy and PRC cooks whom are dirty buggers.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you a trained chef in Singapore? What are the restaurant scene like nowadays back home ?

That's so true. Even people from SHATEC are lazy. Don't wanna do the daily dirty work as required as a chef like cleaning. The motivational level is peesai for the FnB sector is zero. There are some exceptional chefs though but the wages are shit due to FTs, after awhile these chefs who are in their 30s like me give up the trade altogether. A lot of youngsters today are just in it cause they think they can be the next Jamie Oliver but they soon realised that it's hard work being a chef. On top of that you need to get along very well with ur piers in the kitchen.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you a trained chef in Singapore? What are the restaurant scene like nowadays back home ?

Yes I am a trained chef in SG. The restaurant scene is pretty bad here. Lots of competition and it's saturated. Even some of the restaurants at good locations like the Sands and Ion are struggling. FTs now are made up of third world citizens, so most would patronize the food courts.

Back in the 90s, Fts were made up of gringos, brits, japs and big spenders indos. Not any more.

Rents are the main culprits here in SG. A restaurant at the 4th floor at ION orchard would cost 100k in rent but can only pull in 3k in revenues a day.
To make it worst, alot of restaurants will cut corners and hire cooks from china and their standard will suffer. Eventually the business will fold. Even hawker centers have suffered due to this. My Aunt lives in Ontario and last year she made a trip back to peesai after 20 years being away and noticed that food standards have become bad across the board.

Another thing I notice are sinkees are not drinkers nor are they desserts fan. They would eat a steak, drink plain water and most likely not order desserts after. Whereas places like Canada which I worked for a year back in 04, diners would order a steak, wine or beer and a dessert after.
Most people who opened reataurants don't realise that drinks have to make up at least 60% of the daily takings. If you are gonna rely solely on food sales, you're fuck as food cost is more ex than drinks.

That said, the restaurants that does well in peesai are always the ones that does well in both food and beverages. Which are very few.
I would never open a restaurant in peesai. Too many people with little or no money to spend. Just imagine 1 million people here who are maids, construction workers and service staff earning less than 1k a month or far less. The people that have the money have lots of choices, even the ang mor expats now are living in HDB and eating at kopi tiam.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds like a bad situation for you. Any plans to move out then?
Yes I am a trained chef in SG. The restaurant scene is pretty bad here. Lots of competition and it's saturated. Even some of the restaurants at good locations like the Sands and Ion are struggling. FTs now are made up of third world citizens, so most would patronize the food courts.

Back in the 90s, Fts were made up of gringos, brits, japs and big spenders indos. Not any more.

Rents are the main culprits here in SG. A restaurant at the 4th floor at ION orchard would cost 100k in rent but can only pull in 3k in revenues a day.
To make it worst, alot of restaurants will cut corners and hire cooks from china and their standard will suffer. Eventually the business will fold. Even hawker centers have suffered due to this. My Aunt lives in Ontario and last year she made a trip back to peesai after 20 years being away and noticed that food standards have become bad across the board.

Another thing I notice are sinkees are not drinkers nor are they desserts fan. They would eat a steak, drink plain water and most likely not order desserts after. Whereas places like Canada which I worked for a year back in 04, diners would order a steak, wine or beer and a dessert after.
Most people who opened reataurants don't realise that drinks have to make up at least 60% of the daily takings. If you are gonna rely solely on food sales, you're fuck as food cost is more ex than drinks.

That said, the restaurants that does well in peesai are always the ones that does well in both food and beverages. Which are very few.
I would never open a restaurant in peesai. Too many people with little or no money to spend. Just imagine 1 million people here who are maids, construction workers and service staff earning less than 1k a month or far less. The people that have the money have lots of choices, even the ang mor expats now are living in HDB and eating at kopi tiam.

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/photos/the-richest-countries-in-the-world-1330405787-slideshow/

richest countries in the world. sg ranked 3rd. kangaroo land ranked 12th. no need say anymore migrant losers. :biggrin:

rich is not same as quality of life. my sg peers work hundreds of hours unpaid overtime. some are under work bondages with early release penalty. and i found out that they have only 2 weeks company leave a year. kind of crazy work life for six-figure salaries.

do you have to repeat your post everytime? hahaha you some kind of attention deprived creep?

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even a final year accounting graduate can afford to pay for a $495K one bedroom apartment. Let alone the $1million McMansion when she starts working. Most likely a PRC mei mei with rich parents back home.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/plans-for-the-future-20120224-1trbw.html

We see more of this among Asians. I wonder in this case what "a little help from parents" means.

To the rest of borrowers in Australia, we are seeing some very surprising developments among the banks, high LTV loans of 92%, some even close to 100%. One ING product in Australia allows you to purchase with "no principal payments due, no fixed terms". Wow.

The real reason why property prices are "high" in Hong Kong, Australia, Singapore is because of credit. As long as the credit flows, China purchases minerals, the RBA can manage interest rates, prices will be "high" there. Banks are getting all the money to lend to borrowers from Overseas Bond sales.

Its all about China and Europe right now.