• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This for that: Singapore embraces barter in recession

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Puja Bharwani

SINGAPORE (Reuters Life!) - Hair styling in exchange for printing jobs. Feng shui services for marketing expertise.

It isn't your typical mode of business, but as the recession bites, many people and enterprises in Singapore are turning to the age-old practice of barter to pay bills and cut costs.

But gone are the days of the simple one-to-one direct barter. Currently, there are two online barter exchanges -- Barter Vista and BarterXchange -- and they are attracting hundreds of people seeking innovative ways to stretch their dollars.

"Barter Vista is where business owners, especially small and medium enterprises, come together to barter trade their excessive inventory or their slow time, in return for things that they will otherwise use cash to buy," said Chew Chee Yong, managing director of Barter Vista, which has about 400 members.

"For example, my printer, one of my members, barter-traded his spare capacity in return for staff benefits, or even dining vouchers and insurance," he added.

From business to beauty, there's something for everyone on the barter websites.

Daisy Leng gets her hair styled at Tranzform Hair Studio, also a barter website member, which in turn gets printing and web publishing services from another member.

Users of the site pay a one-time joining fee of $520. Members who offer their services earn a barter currency which can be traded for products or services. For every transaction conducted, Barter Vista takes a cash commission.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKTRE53J1AN20090420?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Might I propose we barter the Lee family for Obama? We'll throw in ONE HUNDRED SPGs to sweeten the deal too (since they are all going there anyway).

Heck, I'll even settle for Hillary Clinton.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the best idea! Everyone get what they want and the govt go suck thumb as no tax collection for them!