• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This copy auntie sold 'designer' bags in HDB stalls

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20101116.151338_101116-fake.jpg

SHE was the HDB copy auntie.

For a few years, she peddled a range of counterfeit branded bags in the heartlands.

Operating alone, she would turn up early and set up her makeshift stall, but always only for a day, just to avoid detection.

Last Friday at 6am, police officers caught the 37-year-old Singaporean at the carpark of a flatted factory in Toa Payoh.

After her arrest, she led police to a warehouse in Block 1008, Toa Payoh North, where she had been storing the bags.

She also took police to a warehouse in Bukit Batok where more bags were recovered.

In the seven-hour operation, police seized about 2,300 counterfeit bags worth about $81,000.

The knock-offs in the warehouse included luxury brands such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Salvatore Ferragamo, Burberry and Fendi.

She also stocked other brands including Hello Kitty and Coach.

The New Paper was there during the raid.

The bags were poorly stitched and had badly printed logos on them.

In a bid to make the goods look more authentic, some wallets were kept in red boxes bearing the Salvatore Ferragamo brand logo.

Some handbags even had their own dust bags.

Police had received a tip-off and had monitored the woman's movements for some time before moving in.

The New Paper understands the woman had been renting the unit in the flatted factory to store her goods since 2004.

She ran a one-person operation, starting her day at 6am.

She would load the bags onto a van, drive to a location in the heartlands - such as Jurong East, Ang Mo Kio or Woodlands - and set up her stall.

She had to pay about $50 in rent to set up her stall outside the shopfronts of other units on the ground floor of HDB blocks.

Customers

Her customers included housewives and maids, who would fork out $2 to $35 for the bags and wallets which she had bought for between 40 cents and $20.

The bags were supplied to her by contacts working in factories in Guangzhou and Shenzhen in China, and were imported into Singapore by courier.

She would pack up between 1pm and 3pm, depending on how brisk business was for the day.

Business was good, it seems.

She sold an average of 10 bags an hour, making more than $150 a day.

In some weeks, she would earn as much as $2,000.

She even provided catalogues at her stall and would take orders from customers who wanted certain models that she did not have.

A police spokesman said police will continue to take strict enforcement action against pirates who profit at the expense of legitimate business and consumers.

Persons found guilty of selling or distributing infringing articles of any work in which copyright subsists, may be fined up to $10,000 per article, up to a total maximum fine of $100,000, or imprisoned for up to five years or both, he added.

Mr Aaron Chua, 34, owner of the Interesthing Shop at the Adelphi, which buys and sells second-hand designer bags, described ways to spot a fake bag.

Besides distorted logos, fakes go cheap on the zippers, the lining in the bag and the stitching.

Mr Chua, who has been in the industry for five years, said: "The biggest giveaway would be the material used to make the bags. If the straps are made of PVC, they are obviously fake.

"For Louis Vuitton bags, the straps are mostly made of cow-hide leather."

He also said the zippers on Gucci bags would either be made by YKK or have the Gucci logo on the zipper.

There are websites such as www.mypoupette.com and www.ilvoelv.com which provide tips on identifying the real McCoy, he added.

Mr Chua said some people go to his shop in the hope of selling their second-hand bags, unaware that they are fakes.

This year, he has seen some 10 such cases.

He said: "Some of them even have receipts with them. They bought their bags from Europe and just because they have a receipt, they think it's real.

"They never realised that their bag was a fake."

This article was first published in The New Paper.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
KNN reporters want to bluff also must bluff with some substance.

If I go buy a $10 Rolex watch and the seller give me a receipt, I must be a retard to think it is a real deal. :rolleyes:

He said: "Some of them even have receipts with them. They bought their bags from Europe and just because they have a receipt, they think it's real.

"They never realised that their bag was a fake."

This article was first published in The New Paper.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore should not be too harsh on this people trying to make a simple livings. Life is tough so why make it tougher for her (yearning to be an entrepreneur) and trying to survive instead of beggings and stealings or worse prostituting. Lee Kar Seng also started his billionairs by selling flowers in the street and many foreign billionairs also started their wealth, to some extend, in this manner.

Instead of trying to catch people selling affordable stuff in the street to people with limited means, why not the police spend more time catching people, the high flyers, sitting in ivory towers or in stat boards like the incident happened in Singapore Land Authority. This people wear formally to work like they earned a decent income but who knows what lie behind their desk.

As a matter of fact, I admire people who tried to strike out on their own without needing to rely on working for someone else for the rest of their lives. Most importantly, she has the passion and happy to do what she wanted. All PAP laws/licence/permits are shit to enrich the GLC only and applied selectively to people they don't like.

rabohoshen

The bag makers are very good at what they do simulate the brand-name bags. The paperwork, holograms and authenticity marks are so close to the real thing,

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you buy such stuff, part of the 'enjoyment' is walking into the store to experience the service....its part of the total 'package'....that's why the brands built multi million dollars stores in prime shopping district....buying luxury good on internet defeats this purpose and you run the risk of fakes....if really want to save then fly overseas to shop then claim vat it gst at customs.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
When you buy such stuff, part of the 'enjoyment' is walking into the store to experience the service....its part of the total 'package'....that's why the brands built multi million dollars stores in prime shopping district....buying luxury good on internet defeats this purpose and you run the risk of fakes....if really want to save then fly overseas to shop then claim vat it gst at customs.

Pii Narong, one time many years ago in Shanghai I had American visitors who wanted to buy fakes so I brought them to the infamous Xiang Yang Market there many people will ask you if you want fakes. When agreed 2 of them brought us (I remembered there were 5 of us) to an old 弄堂 and up an apartment. The whole journey quite scary because the lanes and stairways we really dark and old. However it was all very exciting the experience. When entering the apartment we were surprised inside looks like a bloody boutique.

I know you referring to "total package" experience is the genuine stuff, what I wanted to say is my experience with this fake shop the walking to the shop with thugs and sleazy environment the surprising shop this "total package" of mine was also very interesting and unforgettable. ha ha ha

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know you referring to "total package" experience is the genuine stuff, what I wanted to say is my experience with this fake shop the walking to the shop with thugs and sleazy environment the surprising shop this "total package" of mine was also very interesting and unforgettable. ha ha ha

almost similar experience in hk when buying fake lolex. it's a defensive maze to slow down traffic with narrow alleys, multiple corners, stairways and to monitor customers on their way. a lot of undercover cops posing as customers in hk.