• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]符策涫 Foo Seck Guan Kenneth[/h]Public Figure

Met a comrade of Hougang Constituency Committee on Sunday at Nee Soon during Hammer Sales. Time flies as it has been more than 9 years since we joined to serve the community and his daughter is already 7. It has been a challenging yet rewarding journey. Hope that his little princess will grow up strong and healthy.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

符策涫 Foo Seck Guan Kenneth

Public Figure

Went on our regular house visit and met this lovely Malay couple. Kak even took the effort to change into a nice outfit to take a photo with us. Really appreciate their hospitality shown towards the Workers' Party.

11855782_304702259654083_1216919924470770056_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Redzwan Hafidz[/h]Public Figure

Flashback to 2007. My housemate (left) during undergraduate days. We regularly talked about politics and exchanged views over
dinner. The starting point of my political interest.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chen Jiaxi Bernard

[h=1]House Visits[/h]Updated 12 hours ago

Shots from our house visits! Always a pleasure to meet new faces and old friends, and listen to their worries, hopes, and aspirations. I leave with their advice and many kind words of encouragement.

11902287_506609686160724_2537246026013614152_n.jpg

11900085_506609702827389_9003646520796998173_n.jpg

11873546_506609716160721_8211622052806302084_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chen Jiaxi Bernard

House Visits

Updated 12 hours ago

Shots from our house visits! Always a pleasure to meet new faces and old friends, and listen to their worries, hopes, and aspirations. I leave with their advice and many kind words of encouragement.
11898578_506609719494054_7866606940142054863_n.jpg

11885158_506609749494051_7314094865948299836_n.jpg

11887846_506609769494049_7964833991512036540_n.jpg

11896100_506609682827391_4899061610221647867_n.jpg

11902483_506609812827378_7328397637158062853_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dennis Tan

Public Figure

My party Chairman, Sylvia Lim, said recently that there is a distinction to be made between national interests and ruling party interests. I fully agree with her and I feel that more Singaporeans should draw this distinction.

The ruling party has over the years often tried to make ruling party interests synonymous with national interests. A recent example can be seen in an interview on 14 August 2015 where DPM Teo Chee Hean said that Singaporeans should do what they can to strengthen the PAP team and not weaken it. He said that if Singaporeans were to reduce the number of people who can be on the PAP team, it will be a weaker team and Singapore will have a weaker team to advance Singapore’s interests on the international stage. Surely the ruling party must make itself and its candidates appeal to Singaporeans, rather than to use such an argument.

Recently, an ex-grassroots leader shared with me that he stepped down from his position a few years ago because he was uncomfortable that, as a community leader, he had to be involved in activities that promoted the interests of the PAP. He merely wanted to serve the residents in his neighbourhood. As long as the RCs and CCCs (and the PA) are funded by taxpayers’ money (as opposed to the ruling party's own funds), such organizations should not be serving the interests of the ruling party. A line has to be clearly drawn.

In the civil and uniformed services and statutory boards, civil and public servants must also be able to draw the line between national interests and ruling party interests in the course of their work. Their loyalty must be to the government and people of Singapore and that must not be equated with the ruling party. In other first world democracies, political neutrality in civil service is a hallowed principle and when a different party takes over after a general election, nobody in the civil service bats an eyelid. When it comes to voting, civil servants must also behave just like any other ordinary citizen. If any civil servant were to think that voting for the ruling party is synonymous with voting for the government, then this would have muddled the line between the government and the ruling party.

If we do pride ourselves as a first world country, we must get these things clear and right.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]He Ting Ru[/h]Public Figure

Selamat pagi!
In Jakarta for work meetings, in a very very hip venue. What's everyone up to back home?

11889485_718927344879104_6560738070541822400_n.jpg

11870896_718927394879099_2097206913906716346_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheryl Denise Loh

As we were out and about for our usual house visits, we bumped into Josephus and his team again! Lightning does strike the same place twice!:smile:

10509775_850684745038427_8956321556379297186_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He Ting Ru

Public Figure

It's Thursday again! The week has really flown by. Throwback to Christmas 2014, when the WP Youth Wing organised a Christmas party for the residents of MINDSVille (both adults and children with special needs), under the Youth Wing's Service arm, which aims to develop programmes to protect and uplift the vulnerable in society.

This was the first big event organised by the 2014/2015 Youth Wing Exco, and we were very pleased that the residents really enjoyed it.

I am truly grateful to the volunteers (some of whom were completely new to the WP) who took time off from their precious weekends to organise a funfair and performance for the residents. As a well known tag-line goes: a smile on the face of a child, Priceless.

A special shout-out to my lovely Strings2U group who came down to round off the festive fun with some ensemble pieces. You guys are truly awesome.

Read Allan's report in full here:
http://wpyouth.sg/20…/…/celebrating-christmas-at-mindsville/
‪#‎reasonstowin‬ ‪#‎wpyouth‬ ‪#‎tbt‬

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Terence Tan

The WP is a rational, reasonable and responsible opposition. The WP is committed to constructively engaging the government, so that the best policy solutions are made for Singaporeans. I joined the WP as I believe it plays a vital role in keeping the government as honest as it keeps us. Do consider supporting the WP in its endeavour for a more inclusive, dynamic, caring and cohesive Singapore.
— with Norman Tiong and 7 others.

11887901_10152957283916587_889903800300120326_n.jpg

[/h]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Elections Department announces revisions 'to enhance election processes'

Changes include an increase in the amount candidates are allowed to spend per voter, and the addition of candidates' photos in the Ballot Paper.

• POSTED: 20 Aug 2015 15:23
  • UPDATED: 20 Aug 2015 22:51

punggol-east-polling-day.jpg

SINGAPORE: The Elections Department (ELD) on Thursday (Aug 20) announced a series of revisions to some elections-related processes, "as part of ongoing efforts to update and enhance election processes".

Increase in Parliamentary Election Expenses Limit
To account for inflation, the maximum spending limit will be raised from S$3.50 to S$4.00 for every voter on the register of electors for the electoral division in which a candidate is seeking election to be a Member of Parliament, the ELD said.

"The law imposes a ceiling on a candidate’s election expenses to ensure a level playing field. Spending in excess of the maximum amount in the law is an illegal practice."

Maximum number of posters and banners in Electoral Divisions

A maximum number of posters and banners that can be displayed is set for each candidate or group of candidates contesting in an electoral division. In past elections, candidates were provided this maximum number after the close of nomination proceedings (on Nomination Day).

"To better facilitate candidates’ planning, ELD has published on its website in advance the formulae to compute the maximum number of posters and banners for each electoral division," the department said.

The maximum number of posters and banners allowed is:

1 poster to every 50 electors in the register (rounded to nearest 100), subject to minimum of:

• 500 per SMC,
  • 2,000 per 4-MP GRC,
  • 2,500 per 5-MP GRC, or
  • 3,000 per 6-MP GRC.
1 banner to every 5,000 electors in the register (rounded to whole
number), subject to minimum of:

• 5 per SMC,
  • 20 per 4-MP GRC,
  • 25 per 5-MP GRC, or
  • 30 per 6-MP GRC.Closer placement for the display of posters and banners

Candidates are not allowed to display posters and banners within a designated radius from a polling station, to minimise undue influence on voters.

As there has been a significant increase in the number of polling stations to improve voter accessibility, the current 200-metre prohibition zone has resulted in limited areas for the legitimate display of posters and banners, especially in built-up residential estates, the ELD said.

"Hence, the radius of the prohibition zone for the display of posters and banners will be reduced from 200 to 50 metres."

Malay Community Committee and Indian and Other Minority Communities Committee

Every group of people who wish to stand for parliamentary election in a group representation constituency (GRC) is required to have at least one candidate belonging to either the Malay community, or the Indian and other minority communities.

In addition to the nomination paper and Political Donation Certificate, the group is required to produce a Certificate of the Malay Community Committee (MCC) or a Certificate of the Indian and Other Minority Communities Committee (IOMCC) to the Returning Officer on Nomination Day, the ELD said.

To be issued the certificate, the person must apply to the appropriate committees by submitting the completed forms (hardcopy) to the Elections Department.

Ballot Paper to include candidates’ photos
To make it easier for voters, especially the elderly, to identify the candidates they wish to vote for, candidates’ photos will be included in the ballot papers for the next General Election, ELD announced.

The new ballot papers will be larger to accommodate the photos.

new-ballot-paper-data.jpg

ballot-paper-with-data.jpg

Candidates’ photos on the ballot papers were introduced for the first time at the 2011 Presidential Election, garnering generally positive public feedback.

Other format changes to help voters mark their choices clearly include white boxes against a darkened background, and wider gaps between the boxes to mark "X" to prevent voters from marking across boxes of different rows.

Details of the format changes will be made known closer to Polling Day of the General Election.

- CNA/es

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

Flavours of Mee Pok in Marine Parade GRC - Heavenly

Having my Mee Pok breakfast this morning at Soy Eu Tua coffeeshop at Jln Tua Kong. This is one of several of the famous Mee Poks started from the original one, 132 Mee Pok at the old Siglap market.

The original stall has moved several times since having to move out of the now demolished Siglap market, in places such as Kembangan, Upp East Coast road and now in Marine Terrace. There's another which I frequent most at New Leaf Coffeeshop next to the Siglap canal as it is nearest to my house. All these shops came out from the original 132 Mee Pok and have evolved their own flavours.

They have been in various constituencies in the past near one another but now reunited into the same Marine Parade GRC after several rounds of EBRC adjustments.

You decide which is more heavenly. All are back in the same family again :smile:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]Politician

Mr Lim’s comments that the two-thirds Singaporean core will be something for the ‘medium to long term’ is rather puzzling. What is ‘medium to long term’? His predecessor had already agreed with me that “by 2020 our own domestic labour force growth will basically end up at about zero. So whatever growth we have thereafter will largely be foreign labour growth.” and that “it (foreign workforce) is really about one-third for this decade until about 2020.”

At the point that I had asked the question in March 2013, based on available manpower data of 2012, locals made up 63.0% of the workforce. By 2014, this figure has dropped to 61.9%. It was 62.1% in 2013.

Is Mr Lim’s definition of long-term up to 2020 only? If it is beyond 2020, how is he going to achieve that because even with a growing local workforce in this current decade, the ratio has been declining well past the two-thirds ratio already while productivity has failed to improve.

Mr Lim's two-thirds target of Singapore core - For how long?
Today's TODAY headline reads, "Two-thirds S'porean core in all sectors a firm target." The Manpower Minister, Mr Lim Swee Say had say that "The Government...
yeejj.wordpress.com

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

Politician

Had an interesting breakfast this morning. Was at the Marine Terrace market, dressed in Party T-shirt waiting to have my favourite fried carrot cake from Bee Bee's stall. Being the nearest market to my house, this is where we would sometimes go for breakfast before starting off the day.

As usual, the hawker centre was crowded and we asked permission to share seats on a table. Chatted with the gentleman beside me and learnt some interesting things about how he started technical education in Singapore for MOE before joining MFA. A highlight of his career was to handle the visit by Deng Xiaoping, complete with first-hand account of what Deng told the group.

We chatted about many things. I found that he is a pioneer in the Marine Parade town and has been serving in the grassroots since 1976. Nevertheless, it was a friendly conversation. He said that he would be meeting ESM Goh later and I asked him to convey my regards to ESM.

You'll never know who you will meet each time you have to share tables at the hawker centre with strangers. ‪#‎reasonstoeat‬ and ‪#‎reasonstochat‬