• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
12734216_571393763018804_3405469004961985341_n.jpg
[h=5]Leon Perera added 6 new photos.[/h]February 7 at 12:27pm ·

We were off to an early start yesterday with ex-NCMP Gerald Giam and the awesome EC volunteers, giving our mandarin oranges. To all who celebrate, Gong Xi Fa Cai!

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/Leon-Perera-515366291954885/?fref=nf"]Leon Perera[/h]During last weekend's house visits in East Coast GRC, I was humbled to meet two young Singaporeans who were keen supporters of the WP's vision for a democratic Singapore based on justice and equality. Here's a big shout-out to the two of you! It's vital for Singaporeans (and especially the young) to take an interest in the political future of the country, whatever party or perspective we may support. Last weekend, I met one stall-owner who said she was reluctant to support us because her son was the recipient of a government bursary. In contrast, I know a civil servant who donated his SG50 civil service bonus, disbursed a few months before GE2015, to the Workers' Party. Policy benefits are paid to Singaporeans from taxpayer monies, regardless of political affiliation. We should form our political views based on our hopes for Singapore's future.

12734034_571424043015776_7197710929839110552_n.jpg

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/Leon-Perera-515366291954885/"]Leon Perera[/h]CNY orange distribution at Bedok and house visits in East Coast GRC this morning! Our volunteer team assembled at 7am for a full morning of activity. There were so many warm greetings and invitations by residents to come in for drinks and shelter from the hot sun - thank you! One of them was a former member of Professor Jayakumar's grassroots team (Prof Jayakumar was, of course, a former MP in East Coast GRC). He and his wife were most kind to offer us drinks and a warm chat. He honestly shared that it would be hard for us to win his vote, as he had been working with the People's Action Party for decades. But he expressed his respect and appreciation for our convictions and the work we were doing. Thank you sir. This approach to politics is good for Singapore - agreeing to disagree while respecting one another's role in maintaining a healthy political system.

12705593_571865226304991_2339719056423626318_n.jpg

12717577_571865312971649_9121613918021699483_n.jpg

12743681_571865402971640_7671287246735751187_n.jpg

12744231_571865499638297_7735384496862313746_n.jpg

12744538_571865902971590_7924045232633649030_n.jpg

12743658_571866092971571_8328091314819205457_n.jpg

[/URL]
12734201_571866462971534_2151709822398915386_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/Leon-Perera-515366291954885/?fref=nf"]Leon Perera[/h]

[h=5]Leon Perera[/h]
In Parliament on 29 January, I had an interesting exchange with the Parliamentary Secretary for MCCY Mr Baey Yam Keng which was not, to my knowledge, reported at all in the media. I questioned him on the feedback from the Arts Engage group of local artists who had said that some local art works were censored because they embarrassed the government of the day and not because their work was against the national interest (yes, there is a difference). Their exact words were: "Our website also documents cases of works censored to protect the Government from embarrassment rather than for society's good. Perhaps it is fitting to remember here that arts funding is not the Government's but the people's money.” I thank Mr Baey for his honest response. He confirmed that NAC funding for the arts comes with the condition that the art work does not put “public institutions” in a bad and derogatory light. The exact exchange is reproduced below and it is up on the Parliament website. Mr Baey also made the point that the number of works where funding was withheld for this reason was very small. However I think once we withhold public funding for the arts because the art work embarrasses the government of the day and national leaders, even if it is for a handful of cases, we are on a slippery slope towards the use of public funds in a partisan political manner as opposed to Singapore’s national interest. Those few cases where funding was denied could have a disproportionate effect on other artists, encouraging them to self-censor. To produce good art, Singaporean artists should be able to exercise their artistic gifts in relation to the totality of social life, including public institutions, and without fear or favour. In my view, public arts funding should not be given on condition that there be no critique of the powers that be. Rather, it should be used to promote nothing but the good of Singapore and Singaporean art. Having said that, I respect Mr Baey’s honest and clear response, which is a credit to the practice of Parliamentary question time.

Parliamentary Exchange on 29 Jan 2016

I would like to ask the hon Parliamentary Secretary if he agrees with the views specifically expressed because it was not entirely clear. So here, I am quoting from the op-ed piece by Mr Tan Tarn How and Mr T Sasitharan. Mr T Sasitharan, as you know, if I am not wrong, is a Cultural Medallion recipient. In any case, he is a very prominent local artist speaking on behalf of the Arts Engage network of Singapore which involves a number of local artists.

The view that he expressed was, and I quote verbatim here, "Our website also documents cases of works censored to protect the Government from embarrassment rather than for society's good. Perhaps it is fitting to remember here that arts funding is not the Government's but the people's money." So, I would like to ask the hon Member does he agree with that view; and if not, why not?

Mr Baey Yam Keng: As part of the funding principles of the NAC, there is a requirement and understanding with the arts groups and the applicants that they should not put any public institutions in a bad light or put them in a derogatory position. It is in this context that was quoted by Arts Engage that the funding was re-considered.

But also, there was a change in substance of the content of the works that were first submitted for application and the eventual product that was produced by the artist. So, there was a difference in what was submitted earlier. There was also some of this to and fro that happened. Among the many applications and support that the NAC has given to the many arts groups and artists in Singapore, these are a minute minority of cases which the group has pointed out.

As I said in my speech, in MCCY and NAC, our role is to advocate the arts. We will stand on the side of the artists in their pursuit of artistic excellence. We hope to create and develop a bigger common space so that Singaporeans and the community-at-large can enjoy the works of our very talented artists in Singapore.

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topic.jsp…

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leon Perera

Here's the first instalment of the Working Show. Kenneth and Cheryl are the two "hosts with the most", don't you agree?

The Working Show - 17 Feb 2016
In our very first episode of The Working Show, we look back on GE2015, the Hepatitis C outbreak, and some interesting facts about WP and Parliament. Also, ca...
youtube.com