• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The UK has finally realised what I have been saying all along.... Covid is just a bad flu

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
No more lockdowns: UK will treat Covid like seasonal flu, says Chris Whitty
Poppy Wood 1 day ago

3-4 minutes

a man wearing a suit and tie
© Provided by City AM
Lockdowns will likely become a thing of the past once England emerges from restrictions in June, Professor Chris Whitty has said, as he suggested Britain will treat coronavirus like the flu in the future.

England’s chief medical officer said the UK would have to learn to live with the virus, nothing that up to 25,000 people can die in a bad flu year without the figure hitting the headlines.

Read more: EU seeks 10m Astrazeneca vaccines from India to plug jab shortfall

“It is clear we are going to have to manage it, at some point, rather like we manage the flu. Here is a seasonal, very dangerous disease that kills thousands of people and society has chosen a particular way round it,” he said.

Speaking at a Royal Society of Medicine webinar, said the government would only be forced to “pull the alarm cord” if a dangerous new strain suddenly started to spread, but that it was “not realistic” to think Covid variants could be kept out of the country.

Whitty said the government’s ambition was to shrink Covid deaths to the lowest level possible, but warned that society would not tolerate sweeping restrictions to prevent similar numbers of deaths to those from seasonal flu.

“We need to work out some balance which actually keeps it at a low level, minimises deaths as best we can, but in a way that the population tolerates, through medical countermeasures like vaccines and in due course drugs, which mean you can minimise mortality while not maximising the economic and social impacts on our fellow citizens.”

Boris Johnson has repeatedly stated that his roadmap for leaving lockdown will provide a “cautious but irreversible” path to “reclaiming our freedoms”.

The rapid rollout of the UK’s largest vaccination programme has begun to bear fruit in pushing down infections, hospitalisations and deaths from coronavirus.

Daily Covid cases in the UK have plummeted in recent months from a record 81,570 on 29 December to 4,479 in the past 24 hours.

Read more: When will pubs, shops, cinemas and theatres reopen under Boris Johnson’s roadmap?

Deaths and hospitalisations have also fallen dramatically, with the number of patients currently in hospital with Covid at just 10 per cent the level of the peak of the second wave.

Today was the 18th day in a row that the UK has recorded coronavirus-related deaths in the double digits, marking a dramatic drop from 19 January when 1,362 Covid fatalities were reported in a single day.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Common sense at last. Once UK opens up its borders, the rest will follow suit. We just need one country brave enough to start the ball rolling.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Despite the abuse hurled at me on a regular basis I always know that time will prove me right.

I predicted that masks don't work and data has shown this to be so.

I also predicted that Covid was way milder than it was made out to be. Figures for the IFR were showing death rates of 3% to 5% but my astute assessment of the situation told me that the IFR was way lower. WHO now acknowledges that the IFR is in the region of 0.2% to 0.5% depending on the state of health of the general population.

The time is ripe for everyone to regain their senses, come to terms with the fact that Covid is a mild disease and move on with their lives.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
This is a very delicate issue as many are convinced its a deadly disease.

I'm afraid there is nothing I can do to improve the IQs of the morons of this world. They can continue to cower in fear for all I care. It will make no difference to my life.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In order to avoid seasonal flu, I suggest government to consider allowing all workers to work from home and to reduce carbon footprint