• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Truth Behind Goh Meng Seng’s Political Step-down

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
He just plain lazy, 3 months before next Election, he will announce he coming back to NSP, who want to bet with me? LOL

The truth is most probably the same as when he was with WP, people can't stand him and kick him out. I'd bet sooner or later, win or lose (the latter being more likely to the extent of certainty), TKL is going to kick him out of camp too.

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the best advice anybody can give GMS. Yes, the more you say, the more possible controversies. And over-exposure.
Learn from Low TK. Even Chen Show Mao is learning from Low TK now. Speak less to the media. Speak more to the people on a one-to-one basis. Actually, it should be LISTEN to the people on a one-to-one basis. Yes, go around attending funerals! A listening ear, a firm handshake, a warm smile, a kind word of encouragement, a nod of empathy, etc., will win you hearts and eventually votes. Debating and trying to prove that you are right is not impaortant.

People will always remember how you make them FEEL, and NOT really what you do for them.
Make them feel good and they will like you.
For example, if a friend wants to borrow $1000 from you, and you decide to lend him $1000. But when you lend him, you also give him a stern lecture on money management. Your friend won't feel good being lectured at, even if he is grateful. On the other hand, if you only lend him $500 but you do it with a smile and some kind words of encouragement, your friend may even be more grateful to you.

In the USA, you will be surprised at the amount of time presidential candidates spend on shaking hands and kissing babies. They really make it a point to meet their voters one-to-one. Okay, granted that voting is not compulsory in US, and it is good strategy to shake as many hands so possible since people who personally like you will be likely to make the effort to vote for you. A lot of Americans do not vote in elections! Okay sorry for the digression again ... but American politics is more interesting ... PERSONAL TOUCH is very important.

Please GMS...stop posting here or anywhere else. Silence is golden and airing your views will only create controversy and personal clashes. Keep close to your heart your thoughts and confide only to people who you trust. You have many friends here who has no axe to grind. Your heart is in the right place, no doubt, but a good politician requires more than that...astuteness and cunning.

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
excellent advice but do u really think TKL has the it in him to go agst his core personality flaw?...that TNP front page in yesterday's TNP just goes to show what a disaster TKL's bid is turning out to be...n rightly so becoz TKL just ain't suitable n appropriate to be EP...

Perhaps TKL can take a sabbatical too and carefully plan the 9-day campaign. That sabbatical is good for him because involvement in the arguments made people NOT remember what the argument was about. All the people will remember is that there are arguments against TKL and they may wonder if there are substance after all.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The main difference lies in the media exposures given to TJS Holland Bukit team, Bishan Toa Payoh Team and the lack of it for CCK. Thus the assessment that Main Stream Media plays a very important role is not an overstatement.

Priority for the last 9 days campaigning should be focus on Visibility. Knocking doors or having group meetings at last hours will not make that kind of impact. But people believe in that BIG "IF".

Tampines IS a BIG FORTRESS and that is why, it is the only GRC that has ABSOLUTELY no change to its boundaries at all. i.e. they cannot make it any stronger! With 32% of 5 room flats and above, this is the TOP fortress in Singapore electoral constituency!
Goh Meng Seng

Over the past 5 years, HDB has been one of the greatest problems Singaporeans faced. MBT is the culprit behind such unhappiness. A sensible person will not vote for him whether he was given excessive media coverage or not. 5 years have not taught Tampines people a great lession and they still needed so much NSP exposure in the media to decide who to vote? I don't read straits times or watch CNA to vote for opposition. I can safely say 56% of Tampines residents are daft and stupid. If PAP fumble again, they deserved it and they asked for it. I hope they suffer when their children could not afford a simple housing or forced to camp in the park.

Focus your energy on helping TKL, it is time Singapore reserves need to be audited after 50 years hidden from public view. If Tony Tan allows it to sweep under the carpet, Singaporeans deserved to be punished if our country is bankrupted by Ho jinx and we are kept in the dark.

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He was dressed in a kaki-coloured Bermuda and his tummy showed when he tucked in his round necked tee underneath it. His sandals seemed to complete the image of a hawker working in the coffee shop.

Please do not talk about the sandals, otherwise, Melissa Hyak will start calling him a Slipper-man II again. The title given to the first slipper-man by her may have been forgotten by Singaporeans, so please don't allow Melisa Hyak to call Meng Seng the same name. To allow her to remember she would would be back at the repitition as she did so well in the 2006 elections. I have personally heard many people expressing their anger at her for her attack on the poor Slipperman of Jalan Besar GRC
I personally have no respect and regard for Melissa Hyak for I really don't seem to understand the way she speaks on the TV, especially when she pronounce the names of Beijing and other Chinese-sounding names. She also feels proud to pronounce Italian and French names, but she failed miserably in prounouncing Singaporean names.
Why is she allowed to manage Live Election Results?
Is she a local or a FT. Do let we, the forummers know.
Local television should get rid of her. The PAP should come to realise that her behaviour left much loss to the party.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the best advice anybody can give GMS. Yes, the more you say, the more possible controversies. And over-exposure.
Learn from Low TK. Even Chen Show Mao is learning from Low TK now. Speak less to the media. Speak more to the people on a one-to-one basis. Actually, it should be LISTEN to the people on a one-to-one basis. Yes, go around attending funerals! A listening ear, a firm handshake, a warm smile, a kind word of encouragement, a nod of empathy, etc., will win you hearts and eventually votes. Debating and trying to prove that you are right is not impaortant.

You have to be kidding. If people expect them to look up to LTK or Chen or possibly anyone as role models, maybe there's one area not really understood. They will do what is exactly different in order to stand outand show they are special. I'm sure I'll hit raw nerves again.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He was dressed in a kaki-coloured Bermuda and his tummy showed when he tucked in his round necked tee underneath it. His sandals seemed to complete the image of a hawker working in the coffee shop.

Please do not talk about the sandals, otherwise, Melissa Hyak will start calling him a Slipper-man II again. The title given to the first slipper-man by her may have been forgotten by Singaporeans, so please don't allow Melisa Hyak to call Meng Seng the same name. To allow her to remember she would would be back at the repitition as she did so well in the 2006 elections. I have personally heard many people expressing their anger at her for her attack on the poor Slipperman of Jalan Besar GRC
I personally have no respect and regard for Melissa Hyak for I really don't seem to understand the way she speaks on the TV, especially when she pronounce the names of Beijing and other Chinese-sounding names. She also feels proud to pronounce Italian and French names, but she failed miserably in prounouncing Singaporean names.
Why is she allowed to manage Live Election Results?
Is she a local or a FT. Do let we, the forummers know.
Local television should get rid of her. The PAP should come to realise that her behaviour left much loss to the party.

She is a local, been around active on screen circa 90s host of the now defunct Mickey Mouse Hour

I have been puzzled though what really is her chinese surname - Hyak?

jw5

Loyal

One thing about LTK that many people have not mentioned is that he is very good at talking to the voters, i.e. ordinary people. Would even go as far to say that he is very good at currying favour with the voters. Just look at the way he shakes their hands, looks them in the eyes and talks to them, as if these strangers were his best friend or a long lost buddy.

He's much better at this than even Chiam and JBJ, whom people respect a lot but who don't feel so warm about. That's his real advantage when it comes to winning elections. Something for all politicians and aspiring politicians to learn from.

jw5

Loyal
Please do not talk about the sandals, otherwise, Melissa Hyak will start calling him a Slipper-man II again. The title given to the first slipper-man by her may have been forgotten by Singaporeans, so please don't allow Melisa Hyak to call Meng Seng the same name.

She wasn't the person who gave the slipperman title.
It was coined by the msm, probably ST, and she possibly just used the term in one of the broadcasts.
Not surprising if she leans towards the ruling party, but don't think that really affects her broadcasts. Anyone who saw the recent broadcast of GE 2011 would agree with me, it's not as if she was delighted when pap won or despondent when they lost. There are others who are more biased than she is.

However I agree with the comment about her pronounciation, especially the way she says "Beijing". Really annoying. :biggrin:
Btw her mandarin is pretty good, considering that she seems to be Eurasian.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing for sure NSP are going down hill with no leader. Hazel Pao will kill the NSP she cannot talk/debate.

jw5

Loyal
Well, he didn't really make good assessment on who to join and failed his first political judgement and subsequently, failed the second political judgement as well.

But it just happens that, on hindsight, many people share my "strong views" eventually.

It "just happens" that the objective results proved that my "strong views" or judgement is right.

If they want to view it as "boastful", I cannot stop them. If they refuse to learn from such mistakes, I cannot force them to.

That is why I say, the results speak for itself but if people choose to continue ignore these objective indicators and refused to listen to sound strategic views, it is their loss not mine.

I can be a very nice person but when it comes to strategy wise, I can proudly say that 90% of the time I have it right. And I have to put my feet down and say the "undesirable" songs that few people want to listen.

GGM!
Just read this in detail and have got to say: GGM!

Sorry that I only picked out the key points to highlight, otherwise I will get an infraction. :o

GGM again, with a strong accent. :biggrin:

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
One thing for sure NSP are going down hill with no leader. Hazel Pao will kill the NSP she cannot talk/debate.

Did you read his full post in this thread?

Go Hazel Go! Goooooooooooooooo, Hazel!
H-A-Z-E-L HAZEL!
S-E-B-A-S-T-I-A-N SEBASTIAN!

:rolleyes: :biggrin:

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right. One of my friends, a poor fellow, went to Malaysia by bus many years ago, and met LTK on the bus (alone -- hehe dunno what he was doing going to M'sia alone, He was already a MP then.). My friend said LTK was a real nice guy and chatted with him throughout the trip. Some people here criticized LTK for his poor debating skills in parliament -- that he seldom rebut after being attacked. But again, that's not very important. Remember Liu Bei of the Three Kingdoms? He was mediocre military leader, lousy strategist (losing battle after battle before Zhuge Liang joined him). But he had very good people skills and the most talented people at that time all joined his cause.

One thing about LTK that many people have not mentioned is that he is very good at talking to the voters, i.e. ordinary people. Would even go as far to say that he is very good at currying favour with the voters. Just look at the way he shakes their hands, looks them in the eyes and talks to them, as if these strangers were his best friend or a long lost buddy.
He's much better at this than even Chiam and JBJ, whom people respect a lot but who don't feel so warm about. That's his real advantage when it comes to winning elections. Something for all politicians and aspiring politicians to learn from.

Last edited:

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, not look up to them as role models. But learn why they have been so successful. There are some universal truths to success in politics, e.g., good people skills, rising above the fray, avoid over-exposure, etc., etc. -- all these can be found in LTK.

Look at GMS. He is so obsessed with being proven right. He's like a general obsessed with winning every single battle and missed the big picture of the war. I think besides ego, he's got quite a bit of vanity. To be a real political leader, you have to rise above the fray, and not get involved in every minor quarrels even to clear your name. You have to have thick skin and a lot of endurance/tolerance. Look at Tan Kin Lian. He's definitely not presidential material because he isn't rising above the fray.

You have to be kidding. If people expect them to look up to LTK or Chen or possibly anyone as role models, maybe there's one area not really understood. They will do what is exactly different in order to stand outand show they are special. I'm sure I'll hit raw nerves again.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The truth is most probably the same as when he was with WP, people can't stand him and kick him out. I'd bet sooner or later, win or lose (the latter being more likely to the extent of certainty), TKL is going to kick him out of camp too.

Since he is always being kicked around, we should call him "Football" Goh.

jw5

Loyal
You are right. One of my friends, a poor fellow, went to Malaysia by bus many years ago, and met LTK on the bus (alone -- hehe dunno what he was doing going to M'sia alone, He was already a MP then.). My friend said LTK was a real nice guy and chatted with him throughout the trip. Some people here criticized LTK for his poor debating skills in parliament -- that he seldom rebut after being attacked.

Why your friend never ask him? :biggrin:

Another thing about LTK is I think he knows himself very well and is prepared to accept and deal with his weaknesses. He knows he's not a strong debater, especially in English, he knows that he's not a superquick thinker on his feet with witty rebuttals. That's why he sends Gerald and Sylvia to seminars, seldom responds to reporters other than near election time or about major issues to defend his party or his work. Even when he replied to questions during GE, I almost cringe when he replies in English. :o

Having said that, his replies are always spot on in terms of content.
A politician who understands his strengths and weaknesses, willing to build on the former and compensate for the latter.