• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The standard of English in Singapore - What do you think?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
"And' are used more than 15 times in the begining in the Bible - see Relevation. When bible says so, it is OK. Remind you that Bible is Word of God and when God use it everyone can follow. Angmoh God is always right .... hehehe

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please state which you don't agree or believe is not true .
You must provide statement and examples .

hahaha....u are saying that the elites send their sons overseas because they are afraid of failures here........i disgaree.
It is your opinion against mine......i am not saying you are wrong.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....u are saying that the elites send their sons overseas because they are afraid of failures here........i disgaree.

So why they send their children overseas for their tertiary education then? To show they can afford it?

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can find nothing wrong with the standard of English as expected in emails or forums. I only find the word "demand" should be replaced with "expect." Actually, if Li Hongyi means what he said, I don't mind him being next PM.

You phor lampar until so obvious.

How many times have you sucked and licked the old bastard's balls?

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Education does not start and end in classrooms. If you can afford it, send your kids overseas for further education. They will gain more than just getting a degree, like learning about different cultures, being independent, making new friends from other countries and broaden their minds.

So why they send their children overseas for their tertiary education then? To show they can afford it?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Education does not start and end in classrooms. If you can afford it, send your kids overseas for further education. They will gain more than just getting a degree, like learning about different cultures, being independent, making new friends from other countries and broaden their minds.

I see, perhaps that is why there are so many foreigners in Singapore nowadays. Its so that the locals can experience all this without ever leaving Singapore. Hurray for our great leaders thinking about this. :smile:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, like one 12 tears old student who was taught all about sex from his maid. That was a good learning experience.

I see, perhaps that is why there are so many foreigners in Singapore nowadays. Its so that the locals can experience all this without ever leaving Singapore. Hurray for our great leaders thinking about this. :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, like one 12 tears old student who was taught all about sex from his maid. That was a good learning experience.

Indeed, they earlier they learn about it, the faster they can start producing babies for the country. Everything worked out as the great leaders wants it.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Or you saying local institutions not good enough ?

Yet locals have to endure it ?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think the elites see our local universities no-up. NUS? NTU? Elites never practice what they preach. All primary schools sama sam? Any elites send their kids to neighbourhood primary schools? No - always to Nanyang.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If some Ministers and MPs have problems with "Intermediate" English, need we say more? We need people like Mehmeh55 to guide those who speak horrible angmo in, of all places, Parliament. Lim Anyhow Say's 'england' is PSLE standard. How the hell did he clear "O" and "A" levels?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
If some Ministers and MPs have problems with "Intermediate" English, need we say more? We need people like Mehmeh55 to guide those who speak horrible angmo in, of all places, Parliament. Lim Anyhow Say's 'england' is PSLE standard. How the hell did he clear "O" and "A" levels?

Memorising entire essays seems to be the norm when I was studying in Singapore. Maybe he could memorise it better then others.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I can find nothing wrong with the standard of English as expected in emails or forums. I only find the word "demand" should be replaced with "expect." Actually, if Li Hongyi means what he said, I don't mind him being next PM.

hi there

1. ram, what!!!!!!!!!!!
2. just because elite sheep writes well or what.
3. haven't we have enough of tyrants here?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I support what Li Hongyi said too. Army and police officers should be held to higher standards of responsibilities and when in breach, higher penalties. However, hope he can keep to his own words and standards as he ages, unlike his grandfather.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I support what Li Hongyi said too. Army and police officers should be held to higher standards of responsibilities and when in breach, higher penalties. However, hope he can keep to his own words and standards as he ages, unlike his grandfather.

Li Hongyi is still very young and naive. Many others in the past, similar in age to Li, also kpkb. When they are later 'brought' or 'bought' into the system, they quite quickly manage to assimilate. Isn't Viv B a classic example?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly the letter is appalling. It was written so badly that the recipients thought it was a joke or someone was using the author's name. Many of you have identified the errors and some of you have realised that the letter is disjointed and all over the place.

Secondly I seriously wonder how he managed to pass his general paper. I can only assume that he did it by rote, a striking feature of our education system.

It was a simple case of AWOL and the failure of the local command to address it adequately. It could have been easily expressed with the aid of bullets points or indented paragraphs. He also mentioned things that should not be there but should have been mentioned in subsequent correspondence if the issue was not remedied. The repetition of issues were also prominent. The guy in the spotlight was only a LT not some high ranking individual that was entrusted with authorisation to launch missiles.

It was so badly written that more than one recipient released the content to the outside world thinking it was a joke. And it was a joke for more than week until they made contact with him.

The newly appointed AG when he was an OCT wrote a letter of complaint when he witnessed an abuse of authority by a very senior officer. The complaint letter was short, succinct but the words and sentence structure was powerful yet appropriate. He followed protocol and addressed it to the appropriate superior. The Sr Officer was asked to respond to the allegation and this guy turned out to be a clown. In his response, he used words and parts of sentences from the original letter and basically it smacked of plagiarism as he too wanted to show his command of the language or the lack of it. He was found guilty and disciplined. The whole thing was done in good time.

He is now the AG and the only difference between him and the other author was that the former spent his formative years of schooling in NZ. To me it is the education system that seemed to have failed. The vets here can tell the difference but the newer generation can't as they have no idea what good looks like.