• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Singaporean dream has become an illusion

chittychitty

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the space of two days last week, I had near-identical conversations with two friends. Both were looking at real estate options, but refused to acknowledge their financial realities. Neither was particularly wealthy but both sought pricey districts. “I don’t think I could live in your area,” one of them said to my suggestion. He offered a long commentary on my estate compared with his expectations. 3 bedrooms, a balcony, an open kitchen. But he didn’t want, nor did he have the finances to fork out for it.

Another friend who has been contemplating buying an apartment for a decade decided she could only live in the Marine Parade area. She didn’t want a longer commute, and she wanted to live near the sea. But when she saw the prices, she balked. Meanwhile, she rants about exorbitant apartments even though every year’s delay only makes her future purchase more challenging.

I’ve written before about Singapore’s social policies that are developed with the dream family in mind. If you’re married, with two kids and one or two parents living with or near you, you’re the Singapore dream family. If like me, you’re single, living alone and marriage isn’t in the works anytime soon, you’re a Singaporean nightmare.

But that’s not the issue. The real problem is the disconnect between what Singaporeans want, and what they can attain. Our refusal to settle for slightly less, while admirable, only adds to our discontent.

When I was growing up the definition of success were the 5Cs. Uber, Grab and mobike have eliminated the car aspect. Digital coinage has replaced cash. Country clubs have gone slightly out of vogue and everyone has a credit card. Housing is the only ‘C’ still relevant.

I considered going for private housing when I bought my home. But it was out of my league, so I settled. I learnt when young and poor that there was no shame in settling. Public housing as opposed to private. Japanese automobiles instead of intercontinentals.

More at The Singaporean dream has become an illusion

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's better to get a smaller affordable condo than a larger hdb flat if the couple is just starting out.

When/if the price of the condo increases, they can cash out via a bank refinance and invest the proceeds and keep living there. They cannot do the same with a HDB property and will have to sell it to cash out.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HDB is a massive con job; a huge cash cow for the money-obsessed PAP government masquerading as heavily-subsidised public housing! :(

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
doesn’t require much debate. these sinkies don’t have the means but want to keep up with the top tier elites. they should simply settle for less and plan to achieve their (realistic and long term) objectives with shrewd strategies and execution. bet they can’t even do the latter (lesser but more realistic) by age 69, and that is the most basic financial independence - all debts paid off, total assets of $6.9m, passive incum, appreciation of assets and interest earned 6.9%, expenses $696 per month which is a very small fraction of passive incum and interest earned. if they can’t even do the basic they can forget about dreams or illusions. sinkies bring it upon themselves and they only have themselves to blame.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
As long as $1000 per month salary can afford a HDB flat the Singapore Dream is alive and kicking

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as $1000 per month salary can afford a HDB flat the Singapore Dream is alive and kicking
my expenses in sg is only $696 a month, thus $1000 salary can be adequate if hdb flat is subsidized and paid for. no need car as mrt is world crass.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
sinkies can't even understand the difference between ILLUSION and DELUSION.

I rest my case.

koKSia

Alfrescian
Loyal
What Singapore dream?! Know your place in society, if u drive a toyota shut the fuck up when the merc driver says so.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
What Singapore dream?! Know your place in society, if u drive a toyota shut the fuck up when the merc driver says so.

But a Toyota is far better than a Merc so it is the idiot who bought a Merc who should shut the fuck up.

2016-new-car-reliability.png