• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Singapore Satay Queen of San Francisco operates the only Halal Singaporean street food stall in San Francisco

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Very happy for her. This minah has done well.:thumbsup:

Incidentally, not a typical minah. She's half-Indian, half-Chinese, brought up as Muslim, hated Singapore's stifling rules-based society, married & divorced early in life while in Singapore, then decided to go USA San Francisco with a friend, met up with an online angmoh guy friend who coincidentally stayed at San Francisco, married him, and set up her Satay by the San Francisco Bay stall which did very well.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Incidentally, not a typical minah. She's half-Indian, half-Chinese, brought up as Muslim, hated Singapore's stifling rules-based society, married & divorced early in life while in Singapore, then decided to go USA San Francisco with a friend, met up with an online angmoh guy friend who coincidentally stayed at San Francisco, married him, and set up her Satay by the San Francisco Bay stall which did very well.
Thats great. She converted one guy into islam.
Mom part chinese. Dad part indian. So still 50% malay.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

More malay success story​

Malaysian-born woman’s nasi lemak a hit in the Netherlands​

Bernama
-
July 25, 2021 6:30 PM
655Shares
facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
whatsapp sharing button

email sharing button

Solehan-Manger-Ramli-bernama.jpg
Solehan Manger-Ramli has made her name in the Netherlands with her nasi lemak. (Bernama pic)
PUTRAJAYA: “Kan ik nasi lemak met kip rendang bestellen?” (“Can I order ayam rendang nasi lemak?”)
This is often the message received in Dutch by Malaysian-born Solehan Manger-Ramli through WhatsApp from clients in Amsterdam, Netherlands, since 2017.

Solehan, who moved to Rumpt after marrying a citizen of the Netherlands, initially cooked nasi lemak as a hobby for friends.
Now, the 44-year-old cooks nasi lemak on a small scale at home for sale through WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram.

She was encouraged when Malaysians residing in the Netherlands praised her delicious nasi lemak to be like the ones sold back home.
The locals in Amsterdam also came to know about the popular Malaysian food through social media.
“Generally, they know me and that the nasi lemak is prepared by a Malaysian. Malaysians, including students here, have given me the monicker ‘Kak Ann Ayam Rendang Nasi Lemak’,” she said.
Recalling the initial days when she ventured into the nasi lemak business, the Penang-born mother of two told Bernama through WhatsApp that it started after many Malaysian friends asked her to prepare popular Malaysian dishes, especially nasi lemak, for them.

They pined for nasi lemak as they had not gone back to Malaysia for a long time, she said.
Adhering to the proverb, “no pain no gain”, Solehan took the plunge to turn her hobby into a business, using social media apps to promote her ayam rendang nasi lemak.
She also takes requests for other dishes such as laksa and various types of Malaysian traditional kueh as well.
Solehan-Manger-Ramli-bernama_1.jpg
Solehan Manger-Ramli with her husband, Jan-Willem Manger, and youngest child, Floris Gabriel Manger, 3, at home in Rumpt, Amsterdam. (Bernama pic)
“I often have my hands full in meeting the bookings. But this is my source of income and I try to accommodate their requests,” she said.
Before the Covid-19 pandemic swept through the Netherlands, she used to invite guests to her home to try out her new menus.
According to Solehan, the response from local customers in the village nearby had picked up after the Covid-19 threat subsided in the Netherlands, with orders from Malaysians, including students, soaring.
Solehan said a normal nasi lemak set cost RM30 while the ayam rendang nasi lemak set was priced at RM40.
“Such rates are normal over here in Europe and customers understand the difficulty in obtaining the authentic ingredients from Malaysia.
“I ensure the prices are on par with the taste and quality because I want to guarantee that the customers are satisfied and ensure they make repeat purchases,” she said.
Solehan delivers the orders to the client as soon as the nasi lemak is prepared in accordance with the quantity ordered. Some customers pick up their orders from her house.
She said it was compulsory for traders in the Netherlands to register and have a licence, even for a small business. Cleanliness was always emphasised.
Solehan, who also harbours a desire to open a Malaysian food restaurant here, receives moral support from her husband, Jan-Willem Manger.
Being fluent in Dutch, he played an important role in getting the locals to try Malaysian food.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm all for Sinkies going abroad and making their lives a success through honest endeavours than being stuck in this shit pigeon hole of an island. Well done Minah!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I saw many indon nasi padang restaurants in Amsterdam. Dunno why fandi complained about missing malay food when he was playing there

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw many indon nasi padang restaurants in Amsterdam. Dunno why fandi complained about missing malay food when he was playing there
Most indons in holland are protestant from ambon and maluku who served dutch army and wanted independence from indonesua. Rijsttafel is actually dutch food influenced by indonesia.
Ambon was the first dutch colony in indonesia i think. Hence their influence is very strong there.

Plus malays just cannot " tahan" european weather and food. Its not just fandi. Many malays just left the clubs or restaurants they work due to this. Maybe its too regimented. Not suited to malay lifestyle

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chili crab ciabatta with coleslaw is a creative concept for the california cui-scene. die die must try.

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
somehow i think they should aim slightly higher

but maybe it's coz stinkies are sons and daughters of whores and harlots coolies and peasants that they have no legends no history heritage culture civilization identity talent scenery or anything notable that they end up opening restaurants and think that's a sign of success

you look at all the old world civilizations from the wider middle east incl iran egypt pakis ceca virus tiongkok and such

all of them got immigrants in richer countries
contributing as professors scientists reserachers engineerings doctors lawyers bankers and other areas of life