• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The role of an MP: National AND Local issues!

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The IMF is a lender of last resort. What sort of organisations lend money? There are only banks and governments. And when you're a lender of last resort, it usually happens when the governments are already fucked.

Not necessarily. During the 1960s and 1970s, we drew a lot of money from the IMF, I wouldn't consider ourselves to be fucked back then.
IMF loans are very attractive for developing democratic countries that do not have the best of credit rating scores. IMF loans don't require collaterals and instead audits the countries economic policies and if necessary require them to be reformed to ensure that the country's economy will move forward and can repay the loan.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you need to understand that the parliament is pretty much a useless show as long as the PAP holds at least the 67% of the seats. It doesn't matter whether you have a super duper eloquent fiery orator speaker that totally trashes the PAP in the debates, as long as the PAP wields the whip, they will push through any motion they want and vote out any motions they don't like.

With 3 seats out of 25, LKY and the PAP were in opposition in the 1955 Labour Front government. In 1963, the PAP held 15 Federal seats out of the 159 in the Dewan Rakyat. That 9.4% of seats did not stop Lee Kuan Yew and the PAP from saying what they had to say. Lee Kuan Yew, to his credit then, before turning modern day autocrat, was passionate and was prepared to argue passionately and vociferously for his beliefs and his party's beliefs and what he and his party stood for.

The pussilanimous Low Thia Khiang and the Workers Party cannot be any more different. The constant harping by the Workers Party and its racial bigots that they are both powerless, hapless and helpless to do anything because of their size in Parliament is dishonest.

They are in Parliament to be the voice and the conscience of the people. It is not to collect a $16,041/month MP's allowance and a million dollars after a five year term for being First World Town Council administrators.

Don't expect non-elected politicians, netizens, bloggers and the men in the street to do the hard and dirty work and take the risks whilst you, as declared "co-drivers", treat politics as a business venture, collect your $16,041 allowance every month and a million dollars after five years by playing the role of loyal, obedient and faithful PAP lapdogs.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not necessarily. During the 1960s and 1970s, we drew a lot of money from the IMF, I wouldn't consider ourselves to be fucked back then.
IMF loans are very attractive for developing democratic countries that do not have the best of credit rating scores. IMF loans don't require collaterals and instead audits the countries economic policies and if necessary require them to be reformed to ensure that the country's economy will move forward and can repay the loan.

Loans can be a good or bad thing. You could check out this book by Noreena Hertz called "IOU". Basically there were a few countries in Africa, their dictators borrowed billions of dollars, it went into their own pockets, and they fled. The result was that the countries were saddled with debt for many years, and for some of them, their annual debt repayment was a significant percentage of their GDP. Basically the IMF was behaving like loansharks to some countries. Anyway if you're the typical Singaporean I assume you know what it's like to be saddled with debt for a long time. IT's just an unfortunate part of the system. Some people gain a lot of out this system, like the Asian countries 50 years ago and others just don't.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Loans can be a good or bad thing. You could check out this book by Noreena Hertz called "IOU". Basically there were a few countries in Africa, their dictators borrowed billions of dollars, it went into their own pockets, and they fled. The result was that the countries were saddled with debt for many years, and for some of them, their annual debt repayment was a significant percentage of their GDP. Basically the IMF was behaving like loansharks to some countries. Anyway if you're the typical Singaporean I assume you know what it's like to be saddled with debt for a long time. IT's just an unfortunate part of the system. Some people gain a lot of out this system, like the Asian countries 50 years ago and others just don't.

Foreign Aid helps in some cases.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bottomline: Majority Sinkies still very much care about bread and butter issues. they cannot see at the macro level why their bread and butter issues are being affected and undermined. like it or not, national issues affect local issues (and vice versa) but on a broad base national issues set the tone for local conditions. Unless majority see this, there won't be much positive change moving forward

PAP have mastered the art of indoctrination given the power and controls they have over the machinery.
From kindergartens to tertiary educations.... uniformed group and civil servants. Most important of course is the media.
The only way to break this armoured strategy and monopoly of controls over citizens minds, Singaporeans who are not happy with PAP should start brain washing their children at very young age. Teach them these 3 little words are bad and dirty...PAP
Point to them whenever PAP MP faces appeared on TV and tell them those are the bad people. It will make them distrust PAP when they grow up and will not succumb to brain washing by PAP so easily.
My whole family including all my siblings have tried and the results are very encouraging. Sometime we jumped with joys when some kids rushed to the TV to point out the bad guy after recognizing the one with Zorro outfit.
Remember this country is ruled with fear. If you still have fear in trying this at home.....May God help you.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP have mastered the art of indoctrination given the power and controls they have over the machinery.
From kindergartens to tertiary educations.... uniformed group and civil servants. Most important of course is the media.
The only way to break this armoured strategy and monopoly of controls over citizens minds, Singaporeans who are not happy with PAP should start brain washing their children at very young age. Teach them these 3 little words are bad and dirty...PAP
Point to them whenever PAP MP faces appeared on TV and tell them those are the bad people. It will make them distrust PAP when they grow up and will not succumb to brain washing by PAP so easily.
My whole family including all my siblings have tried and the results are very encouraging. Sometime we jumped with joys when some kids rushed to the TV to point out the bad guy after recognizing the one with Zorro outfit.
Remember this country is ruled with fear. If you still have fear in trying this at home.....May God help you.

That's why the opposition should target the non scholars in agencies like the SAF

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why the opposition should target the non scholars in agencies like the SAF

Ha...that's the worst place to start. Military have their own set of indoctrination.
Education and medical institution would be easier.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't particularly fancy recruits from the SAF. To me, the SAF seems a totally different world from the rest. So what you can do there and what you experience happening might not be so easily adaptable to the civilian world.

I think the scholar or non scholar is not a strong criterion so long as the candidate is smart, intelligent and inquisitive, has a good grasp of the key aspects of our society, can hold an argument or a debate, a reasonably good speaker and preferably in more than one local languages. Those are the hard skills. On the character side, they must have sincerity in wanting to help or serve people, an ability to interact well with others and be team player and strong patience as he can wait forever for his chance to contest and to win.

I won't rule out scholars as not all scholars have been poached by the PAP. There could be some who do not like the PAP and give the excuse that they don't like politics. But we must be aware of those who were bypassed and joining with a vengeance.

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
With 3 seats out of 25, LKY and the PAP were in opposition in the 1955 Labour Front government. In 1963, the PAP held 15 Federal seats out of the 159 in the Dewan Rakyat. That 9.4% of seats did not stop Lee Kuan Yew and the PAP from saying what they had to say. Lee Kuan Yew, to his credit then, before turning modern day autocrat, was passionate and was prepared to argue passionately and vociferously for his beliefs and his party's beliefs and what he and his party stood for.

The pussilanimous Low Thia Khiang and the Workers Party cannot be any more different. The constant harping by the Workers Party and its racial bigots that they are both powerless, hapless and helpless to do anything because of their size in Parliament is dishonest.

Well said.

One need only look at the debates in 1955 on the 2nd and 3rd readings for the Preservation of Public Security Bill (the future ISA) at:

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...47237-ZZ_1#id014_19550921_S0004_T00081-bill##

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...047279-ZZ_1#id018_19551012_S0003_T00131-bill#

In the end, the Bill was passed with 19 Ayes, 4 Noes and 7 Abstentions. The 4 Noes were Lim Chin Siong, LEE KUAN YEW, Goh Chew Chua and Ahmad Bin Ibrahim. If you look at the votes tally alone, you might assume that these four MPs did not speak much during the debates. Absolutely untrue, just click on the links and you will see that the 4 PAP MPs were the ones who were most vocal, vociferous and articulate in their objections to the Bill. And the one that made the most interruptions while Ministers were still talking is none other than the Old Fart.

LKY during the 3rd Reading:

""A little intelligent anticipation" would indicate to the Chief Minister that a volte-face could only lead to disillusionment and defeat. If we believe in freedom, then we must concede that same freedom even to those who do not honour it in the way we do. Further, if we want freedom to survive in this part of the world, then we must live it and not just talk it. If you want the people of Singapore to fight for democracy and freedom, it is no use telling them, "Ah! but one day we shall have this freedom, when we have destroyed Communism, when we have destroyed the P.A.P., and when we have destroyed any force which threatens to bring about a social revolution."

I can well imagine the Member for Tanglin (Mr Ede) hoping that there is a belt between him and Bukit Timah, because I can well imagine that he and his Party are not capable of standing up and fighting for freedom. They only stand up and fight for their own vested interests, to preserve a Singapore in which they, the fortunate few, have a comfortable niche. Any change which threatens to dislodge them from that niche must be fought. I may be wrong in believing that if you fight for freedom, and you live freedom, you will not be destroyed. But I would say that those who have given a pledge to bring freedom to us have no right to come here and quibble between three years and one year, or three months and one month. If what is wrong for three years can be made right because it is one year, then I say there is something gravely wrong with the logical faculties of those in the Progressive and the Democratic Parties. We are against this Bill in toto. We are not here seeking amendments to mitigate the harshness of this Bill."

When it's his turn in power, what made the Old Fart do the same volte-face that he accused the Labour Front of doing in the above speech? You be the judge.

The point is, MPs are elected to do a job. That job is to scrutinise the Government, including but not limited to the passage of legislation. So do it. If the PAP can do the job in 1955 with only 4 MPs, why can't the WP do it with 8?

Hint, hint ... time is now 11.49 am Singapore, 3.49 pm London. Some academic should be in court now.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't particularly fancy recruits from the SAF. To me, the SAF seems a totally different world from the rest. So what you can do there and what you experience happening might not be so easily adaptable to the civilian world.

I think the scholar or non scholar is not a strong criterion so long as the candidate is smart, intelligent and inquisitive, has a good grasp of the key aspects of our society, can hold an argument or a debate, a reasonably good speaker and preferably in more than one local languages. Those are the hard skills. On the character side, they must have sincerity in wanting to help or serve people, an ability to interact well with others and be team player and strong patience as he can wait forever for his chance to contest and to win.

I won't rule out scholars as not all scholars have been poached by the PAP. There could be some who do not like the PAP and give the excuse that they don't like politics. But we must be aware of those who were bypassed and joining with a vengeance.

Scholars swear allegiance to the PAP; non scholars dont