• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
most dont realise they fall sick BECAUSE of work. You dont feel the strain until you stop. Well, they have loans to clear so its a thrilling battle with death all the way to the finish line

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Never heard of Afternoon delight, then listen to this:smile:

[video=youtube;2NUkhMq_iRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUkhMq_iRo[/video]

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard of this 66 yo guy who retired. His father gave him an office at park mall or something. In retirement, he goes to the office everyday to read newspaper. Can't let go his robotic ways.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I heard of this 66 yo guy who retired. His father gave him an office at park mall or something. In retirement, he goes to the office everyday to read newspaper. Can't let go his robotic ways.

It has nothing to do with robotic ways. It's to get some peace and quiet away from was once the love of his life who has morphed into the grumpy old lady they all become.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to a retiree club and all the people had silver hair and some came in wheelchair. I made a quick exit. Cannot gell.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Playing the stock market? Won't that wipe out your retirement savings? One is so free, so she always look at the stocks and trying to earn more.

jw5

Loyal
Playing the stock market? Won't that wipe out your retirement savings? One is so free, so she always look at the stocks and trying to earn more.

It will depend on how much she has initially, as well as how good she is at picking the right times to buy and sell, right?

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Making big money should be boring, but u can set aside a portion of the money made to do exciting things. :o

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you work out the size of your nest egg?

Do the math based upon a 4% return after inflation and taxes. If you move to the right places or get a good accountant, taxes can be eliminated or reduced considerably.

For every $1,000,000 in productive assets, you should receive an income of $40.000 per annum so if you think you need $200,000 per year to support the lifestyle that you wish to enjoy, you need $5,000,000 in assets excluding the family home.

The family home does not count. It yields nothing. It is an overhead as long as you live in it.

If you want the lifestyle of the rich and famous, you'll probably need about $30 million or more. You then enter the realm of private yachts, chartered jets and fancy penthouses.

Less than $20 million and you're very comfortably well off but not really rich.

Remember that this thread is about achieving financial independence and not about becoming super wealthy. I emphasise this because I believe that just about anybody can achieve a target of $4 to 5 million. All it takes is willpower and perseverance. Becoming a billionaire is a different ball game altogether.

$20 million in like what 2040? Inflation hike so much?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
$20 million in like what 2040? Inflation hike so much?

No $20 million in today's money. That's $40,000 x 20 at 4% after taxes = $800,000 per year income.

With this return, you can squander on trivial pursuits without having to worry too much about the consequences. However, you still are not $5 million yacht and $3 million private jet material.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leongsam speaks like one of the PAP MPs justifying why we need more money in cpf. Have 2 good properties, one for staying one for earning. Use the passive income from the 2nd property to finance your living plus earn more income. Dont be fooled by this PAP burger trying to make life seems extremely tough.