• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The price to pay for being a global city

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
The price of staying in Singapore is to prove yourself.

Being a Singaporean is tough, as you have to be better than FTs / prospective Singaporeans / Permanent Resident.

If you are not better in terms of salary demands (competitive), your jobs will be taken by lower cost FTs.

Recommendations
--> take a lower salary to prove yourself first.
--> perform your best, and do not complain.

(if find that taking a lower salary do not work, work out your own financial planning, and budget your own expenditures to the necessity, survival first.)

think about downgrading if you cannot afford a 4 Room HDB Flat / 5 Room HDB Flat / Private Condo

Sell your car if you own one, as it's a liability not an asset.

Provide your best service, and quit complaining (as complaining get you nowhere)

Learn how to be HUNGRY, and FOOLISH (HUMBLE).

These are my personal experience... You will must be better than the FTs in terms of Salary Demands and Job Performance.

When you know that your expectations are managed, and you are in terms with your own purpose, and goals, then go ahead an work towards it...

Privpho

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's futile. It's not about the price to pay for being a global city. It's about the price to pay for WANTING TO BE A GLOBAL CITY WITHOUT ANY NATURAL RESOURCES OR COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER.

What competitive advantage can Sg boast to stay relevant nowadays? It's days as a global city are numbered. We boast our advanced infrastructure- no big deal, other countries can slowly catch up. The only way it's gonna earn significant profits now to keep its GDP turning is human resource- squeezing the life out of you and me, lowering our expectations of LIFE when in actual fact Singaporeans should be already enjoying an EXTREMELY HIGH standard of living should they be in another truly developed country going by the PACE OF LIFE and WORK that they put in.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another choice is to move to other fast growing nations.

For example, since Singaporeans have roots in China, Malaysia, India, and with the higher education standards received since young in Singapore, Singaporeans do have an edge in terms of way of doing things.

Proud to say that Singaporeans are regarded as the Germans of the East.

Singaporeans are known for their efficiency in doing a good job.

Singaporeans do have a good reputation abroad (minus the Kiasu Syndrome)

If one is willing, Hungry and Foolish(humble), it is very likely that Singaporeans will be able to make it in China, Malaysia and India.

It just need a bit of courage, and the will the make it come true.

Really, I don't see why Singaporeans cannot advance their own career overseas when they don't see any opportunities in their own HOME LAND.

The whole point is, if you decide to stay in Singapore, accept your fate, and live with it, quit complaining (I've not seen any thing solved by complaining).

If you really want to make a difference in your life, consider ALL YOUR OPTIONS.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP is like vacuum cleaner, how to be rich? Every possible outlets of becoming rich has been blocked!

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Problem is FT retire back home like a king after years of hardwork even at a lower pay and we work till we die as retirement is anyting but a dream

jw5

Loyal
The key to living in SG is to take a big step back and
-- don't pursue the 5Cs.
-- don't try to compare with others and always try to maintain "face.
-- treat whatever the elites and their lapdogs say and do with disdain, even contempt.
-- make sure you are as happy and healthy as possible and pursue your interests and things that make you happy.
-- don't be afraid to die, don't be afraid to lose, don't be afraid to not have things, don't be afraid of the government and don't be afraid of your wife. If possible, don't even have a wife. In other words, don't kia see, kia soo, kia boh, kia cheng hu and kia bor.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
These days, the PAP govt prefers that you forget what Goh Chok tong had promised you - to attain the Swiss std of living by 2000 (can't recall exact yr) but never mind, it's not impt anyway because we never got there.

After 50 years of PAP, Singapoireans are worse off today than before. Sinkies are told to grovel for their jobs, starve themselves for a HDB flat, and suffer in silence over everything from overcrowding in MRTs to our favourite foodmalls. Why has life gone so sour?

Even before the global financial crisis )GFC) and economic recession (ER)came, PAP has been allowing businesses and factory jobs to hollow out to China and India. Where are all the higher value added investments that will bring higher paying jobs to Sinkies? The govt job is to provide jobs for its citizens. This they never did. They were either incompetent or were lazy sleeping. Then the GFC/ER came and desperately trying to shore up a failing economy and falling GDP, and to show nice numbers, the govt imported massive cheap labourers to work here, enticing them with easy PRs and WPs. The result is Sinkies lost more jobs and had to work beneath their dignity to accept low paying and lower value added jobs. Sinkies can never beat the Fts in accepting low paying jobs simply because the latter's COL is simply too subsistential to compete with, not because Sinkies have become more choosy, lack spurs in their hides..etc.

To blame Sinkies is to absolve the PAP govt of negligence and indolence and incompetency. The PAP has failed as a govt miserably and all their recent slew of feel-good news thru their propaganda mouthpiece is set to window dress this dismal performance and to ensure that voters quickly forget such unpleasant things when the General Election comes around.

The worst thing is for you to thnik that our fate lie in our stars or that we have not been industrious enough. The right thing is to throw the whole lot out!

Another choice is to move to other fast growing nations.

For example, since Singaporeans have roots in China, Malaysia, India, and with the higher education standards received since young in Singapore, Singaporeans do have an edge in terms of way of doing things.

Proud to say that Singaporeans are regarded as the Germans of the East.

Singaporeans are known for their efficiency in doing a good job.

Singaporeans do have a good reputation abroad (minus the Kiasu Syndrome)

If one is willing, Hungry and Foolish(humble), it is very likely that Singaporeans will be able to make it in China, Malaysia and India.

It just need a bit of courage, and the will the make it come true.

Really, I don't see why Singaporeans cannot advance their own career overseas when they don't see any opportunities in their own HOME LAND.

The whole point is, if you decide to stay in Singapore, accept your fate, and live with it, quit complaining (I've not seen any thing solved by complaining).

If you really want to make a difference in your life, consider ALL YOUR OPTIONS.

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Save your breath on that Sperm-eater character, he is a Char lAtan clone. The only difference is that this nick is used mostly for pro-Pappy statements.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Save your breath on that Sperm-eater character, he is a Char lAtan clone. The only difference is that this nick is used mostly for pro-Pappy statements.

WOW, you even know what nick they use for which purpose. steady lah..

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The price of staying in Singapore is to prove yourself.

Being a Singaporean is tough, as you have to be better than FTs / prospective Singaporeans / Permanent Resident.

If you are not better in terms of salary demands (competitive), your jobs will be taken by lower cost FTs.

Recommendations
--> take a lower salary to prove yourself first.
--> perform your best, and do not complain.

(if find that taking a lower salary do not work, work out your own financial planning, and budget your own expenditures to the necessity, survival first.)

think about downgrading if you cannot afford a 4 Room HDB Flat / 5 Room HDB Flat / Private Condo

Sell your car if you own one, as it's a liability not an asset.

Provide your best service, and quit complaining (as complaining get you nowhere)

Learn how to be HUNGRY, and FOOLISH (HUMBLE).

These are my personal experience... You will must be better than the FTs in terms of Salary Demands and Job Performance.

When you know that your expectations are managed, and you are in terms with your own purpose, and goals, then go ahead an work towards it...

What kind of joke is that? Being a sinkie, is coward and stupid. i dun even want to be one. it is a disgrace.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
The worst thing is for you to thnik that our fate lie in our stars or that we have not been industrious enough. The right thing is to throw the whole lot out!

Dear Kingrant,

I understand how you feel, in fact, I was a victim.

Thinking back on Goh Chok Tong's speech of Swiss Standard Living... after I've been to Switzerland for a brief moment of time, I get to understand that Singapore is at least 20 or 30 years behind Swiss Standard.

And if we reference the report by UBS, which was posted sometime in Feb 2010, Singapore is a 1st world infrastructure country, with 3rd world salaried peons / serfs /daft whatever you want to call it.

To people who are really poor in English, and couldn't not read in between the lines, I must say, I am not really PRO-PAP.

I've been in the RC before, as a secretary, and its just like a spy network.

The CCC representative is always so eager to collect the minutes, and the key issues are always about the government policies feedback.

After 1 term, I got disgusted, and I left, never looked back. It was never for the benefit of the people. It's always about popular support, and response from public.

So, in future, whoever is reading my writings (if it's really that interesting), do read and think carefully, because sometimes I am just being sacarstic.

What I am always pointing out is that, in order for us to have a strong opposition, the OPPOSITION PARTY MUST UNITE! despite their difference in political agenda, their primary agenda must be FOR THE PEOPLE (SINGAPOREANS).

scattered sands are weaker than a boulder.

Get focused.

And finally, yes, our fate lies in our hands... the precious vote that you are endowed with, the power of one, multiplied to a million represents the voice of Singaporean.

Let's have some balls!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
new york is a global city, i never heard local new yorkers have to give everything up, so elite can get richer.

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
What wrong with being a global city?

Dubai is a global city where foreigners outnumber local Emiratis with a ratio of 8 to 1.

Monaco is a global principality where foreigners outnumber local Monegasques with a ratio of 8 to 1.