• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Perfect Singaporean Scholar - Elite Catgory ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the CV of an actual Singaporean. Note the qualifications, the year it was attained and also note the end position.

Except for soundblaster, Singaporeans forte has been to manufacture 1st world technology under licence. Creativity is not something that we never seem to nail down but entrepreneurship is again selling others IP or products.

Not sure what the individuals end goal is but does it indicate that accumulation of qualification, taking visiting position with many institutions as possible seems to be goal itself.

Academic Qualifications
University of California, San Diego - The Rady School of Management MBA
2006 – 2008
Massachusetts Institute of Technology PhD, Computational Neuroscience, Biology
2001 – 2005
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign BSc, Chemical Engineering
1994 – 1998
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign BA, Economics
1994 – 1998

Positions Held

Visiting Professor Molecular Engineering Lab, Singapore
Government Agency; Biotechnology industry
January 2009 – Present (2 years 6 months)

Adjunct Professor National University of Singapore
Educational Institution; Higher Education industry

Founder and Chief Scientific Officer Genebytes
Biotechnology industry
2008 – Present (3 years)

Assistant Professor University of California, San Diego
Educational Institution; 10,001+ employees; Biotechnology industry
2008 – Present (3 years)

Assistant Professor UCSD
Biotechnology industry
2008 – Present (3 years)

Crick-Jacobs Fellow Salk Institute for Biological Studies
Nonprofit; 1001-5000 employees; Research industry
2005 – 2008 (3 years)

Zenra2OO3

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the CV of an actual Singaporean. Note the qualifications, the year it was attained and also note the end position.

Except for soundblaster, Singaporeans forte has been to manufacture 1st world technology under licence. Creativity is not something that we never seem to nail down but entrepreneurship is again selling others IP or products.

Not sure what the individuals end goal is but does it indicate that accumulation of qualification, taking visiting position with many institutions as possible seems to be goal itself.

Academic Qualifications
University of California, San Diego - The Rady School of Management MBA
2006 – 2008
Massachusetts Institute of Technology PhD, Computational Neuroscience, Biology
2001 – 2005
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign BSc, Chemical Engineering
1994 – 1998
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign BA, Economics
1994 – 1998

Positions Held

Visiting Professor Molecular Engineering Lab, Singapore
Government Agency; Biotechnology industry

Adjunct Professor National University of Singapore
Educational Institution; Higher Education industry

Founder and Chief Scientific Officer Genebytes
Biotechnology industry
2008 – Present (3 years)

Assistant Professor University of California, San Diego
Educational Institution; 10,001+ employees; Biotechnology industry
2008 – Present (3 years)

Assistant Professor UCSD
Biotechnology industry
2008 – Present (3 years)

Crick-Jacobs Fellow Salk Institute for Biological Studies
Nonprofit; 1001-5000 employees; Research industry
2005 – 2008 (3 years)

Hahhahahaha why of all persons you pick PYeo's kid?

Zenra2OO3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damn, of all the people I knew this will not go pass you.

Yeo was very chummy with Sydney Brenner, and no prizes for guessing where Brenner works at..Salk Institute. Brenner was the one who founded IMCB.

Gene also studied at Salk, where Brenner used to work/currently work.

But anyway, what so elite about those qualifications? It is just study, study, and certificates for those studies. Not as though fellow achieved something in his career outside the hallowed halls of his college.

You want a more impressive Singaporean, I suggest you google this chap "Tan Chade Meng". A successful engineer and one of the early driving forces behind Google, Inc. Fellow has an NTU degree and a graduate degree from a decent public university in California.

http://www.chademeng.com/resume.html

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A poly classmate of the sound blaster guy told me that the first prototype of the card was actually designed by an angmo. This smart sg guy saw the potential - bought it, refine it and market it. It's sad that at best, we can only modify or refine. The lack of creativity explained why the same guy cannot come out with another great gadget despite seeing the potential of MP3 at that time.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many moons ago I posted in this forum about the conflict between the Yeos and the Brenner as Brenner's boss was PY payroll wise.

The reason I started this thread was to highlight that have surpassed 2 major milestones at about the same time - 1,000 scholars and 1,000 patents in the pipeline or finished. And what have to show for it. When I was young, I would occasionally come across people with patents to their name. Then I found out that patent collecting is an obsession with many backyard wannabe inventors. I also understand that vast majority of patents are impractical for anything of use.

I was wondering what the future holds. Old Man's daughter came out a couple of years and criticised the lack of focus and the money that went into it. I am firm believer of R&D but still wondering where are we going with this. Any ideas as you closer to this than most.

Yeo was very chummy with Sydney Brenner, and no prizes for guessing where Brenner works at..Salk Institute. Brenner was the one who founded IMCB.

Gene also studied at Salk, where Brenner used to work/currently work.

But anyway, what so elite about those qualifications? It is just study, study, and certificates for those studies. Not as though fellow achieved something in his career outside the hallowed halls of his college.

You want a more impressive Singaporean, I suggest you google this chap "Tan Chade Meng". A successful engineer and one of the early driving forces behind Google, Inc. Fellow has an NTU degree and a graduate degree from a decent public university in California.

http://www.chademeng.com/resume.html

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I bought my first apple clone from him personally at his Pearl Centre shop.
A poly classmate of the sound blaster guy told me that the first prototype of the card was actually designed by an angmo. This smart sg guy saw the potential - bought it, refine it and market it. It's sad that at best, we can only modify or refine. The lack of creativity explained why the same guy cannot come out with another great gadget despite seeing the potential of MP3 at that time.

Zenra2OO3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many moons ago I posted in this forum about the conflict between the Yeos and the Brenner as Brenner's boss was PY payroll wise.

The reason I started this thread was to highlight that have surpassed 2 major milestones at about the same time - 1,000 scholars and 1,000 patents in the pipeline or finished. And what have to show for it. When I was young, I would occasionally come across people with patents to their name. Then I found out that patent collecting is an obsession with many backyard wannabe inventors. I also understand that vast majority of patents are impractical for anything of use.

I was wondering what the future holds. Old Man's daughter came out a couple of years and criticised the lack of focus and the money that went into it. I am firm believer of R&D but still wondering where are we going with this. Any ideas as you closer to this than most.

Think that the A*STAR selection criteria is way too stringent. They have demands on GPA, test scores and what-not. Those are good for training academics, but to have innovators sprouting up is a different story altogether. What this means is that A*STAR is barking up the wrong trees, their scholarship scheme is to train academics.

Innovators and inventors cannot be picked up by conventional academic evaluations, the O levels, A levels and what-not. If A*STAR is serious, they should just save the money for scholarships and channel that to a start-up fund as what Jee Say suggests. And fund those budding inventors and innovators. There is no way they are going to have inventors and innovators among their scholars' ranks. That ain't going to happen, 1000 scholars and patents...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Father was very assertive and used to drag the poor boy to office. Note how he swung from one end of the spectrum to the other end the moment the father took hold of the Biotech Industry. If the father got involved in animation and theme parks, I sure he would be attending a course on drawing cartoons.

As far as what I know, this guy is very very messed up. Study the brain to understand(unmess) himself. He said that openly.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Completely agree. The seed funding for budding inventors and start-ups that show promise. As to having stringent requirements is something that old man use to bombard cabinet and senior servants. It was something that he first started with having 3 PHDs as future Minister and when they failed in politics he stopped for a while. After the great marriage debate, he commissioned a study and found out that many of the scholars of late were offsprings of sr civil servants and went on another bender. The study was confidential but it ended up with sr civil servants spending a fortune hiring PHD tutors to teach their kids. Even CJ Yong hired a PHD to teach his daughter for her A levels and she is now Perm sec.

Look at the end result - things are not looking well.

Think that the A*STAR selection criteria is way too stringent. They have demands on GPA, test scores and what-not. Those are good for training academics, but to have innovators sprouting up is a different story altogether. What this means is that A*STAR is barking up the wrong trees, their scholarship scheme is to train academics.

Innovators and inventors cannot be picked up by conventional academic evaluations, the O levels, A levels and what-not. If A*STAR is serious, they should just save the money for scholarships and channel that to a start-up fund as what Jee Say suggests. And fund those budding inventors and innovators. There is no way they are going to have inventors and innovators among their scholars' ranks. That ain't going to happen, 1000 scholars and patents...

Zenra2OO3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahahaha, one of them is Goh Keng Swee?

Seriously lar, PhDs are experts in their field, and not all can teach. Some can't even teach to save their own life. Some got their arses pwned by students because they teach in fields far from their own, e.g. an animal biologist teaching human physiology.

Some parents think having a PhD to teach their kids will do them a world of good, but is in actual fact doing their kids a disservice.

Anyway, having looked at Gene Yeo's qualifications, it is a reflection of the father's thumbprints and beliefs. An A*STAR scholar friend told me that it was Yeo's hope that they will be nurtured into streetwise business people, capable researchers and innovators, all rolled into one.

Gene's background encapsulated all of this - BA Econs, MBA, PhD and a founder of a company too.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, after dealing with Goh and Toh, he thought his solution lay with PHDs. There were 3 of them and one of them is Tan Eng Liang, another was Augustine Tan and the third was a medical surgeon whose name escapes me. All 3 failed. They were supposed to be the 2nd generation of leaders.

Agree with the rest of the comments.

Hahahaha, one of them is Goh Keng Swee?

Seriously lar, PhDs are experts in their field, and not all can teach. Some can't even teach to save their own life. Some got their arses pwned by students because they teach in fields far from their own, e.g. an animal biologist teaching human physiology.

Some parents think having a PhD to teach their kids will do them a world of good, but is in actual fact doing their kids a disservice.

Anyway, having looked at Gene Yeo's qualifications, it is a reflection of the father's thumbprints and beliefs. An A*STAR scholar friend told me that it was Yeo's hope that they will be nurtured into streetwise business people, capable researchers and innovators, all rolled into one.

Gene's background encapsulated all of this - BA Econs, MBA, PhD and a founder of a company too.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, after dealing with Goh and Toh, he thought his solution lay with PHDs. There were 3 of them and one of them is Tan Eng Liang, another was Augustine Tan and the third was a medical surgeon whose name escapes me. All 3 failed. They were supposed to be the 2nd generation of leaders.

Agree with the rest of the comments.

PY understands squat. What do you want with R&D? Are you going to invent products that save the world? There are many but will never do so as big corporations
do not like revenue destruction inventions.
If you want R&D to create a basis to scam the world or to IPO and do a multi level marketing exit strategy (nice term for sucker you up your ass), then what is done is different. If it is latter they aim, the team fucks up because they also come in too late and get scammed and they do not know how to position.
Good inventions and R&D by itself mean nothing. Look, teflon took half a century before someone could spin it and there is still debate whether it gives you cancer.
But hell, it is making money. NEXT was a great computer that never took off because it was in black and white.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Father was very assertive and used to drag the poor boy to office. Note how he swung from one end of the spectrum to the other end the moment the father took hold of the Biotech Industry. If the father got involved in animation and theme parks, I sure he would be attending a course on drawing cartoons.

Wow this dude sure sounds like a pathetic fuck... He should either go shoot himself with a bullet or heroin dose. Life is too short to live by your dads standards. We singaporeans hang on to respectability way too much. But to be fair, we as a society have to learn to accept failure. Entrepreneurship and creativity necessitate a large degree of failure. But happens to failures? Bankruptcy, ostracism, lack of a safety net etc...

Another question is why the need to do this high tech bullshit? Why not simple things like opening a pawnshop? Or improving the yield of oil palms and rice? World class org? Crystal Jade amazes me. I love the execution of their business. Every time the state gets it's hands on a business sector, it fucks it up. It's like sending the water polo team to participate in an air rifle comp... Or vice versa... Just leave business alone and keep your hands on critical industries vital to the nation. AirAsia came from Malaysia...

Human effort is like water flowing downhill. It finds the path of least resistance. This is why you see CVs like this... To be fair, it reflects effort on his part. But one wonders if we should push people down this trail...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The day PY bought Delifrance for Sembawang Engineering I knew that we were dealing with a nutcase. When he likes something, he goes all out. University of Illinois is a case in point. Just because his son went there, it became the flavour of the month and a whole generation of A*star scholars were doing their studies there. If you look at his career moves, nothing spectacular came out it. He used to drag his blue eyed boys everywhere he went. When IT was all the fad, he took charge of National Computer Board and nothing came out of it. Thank god he did not take over SIA when old man asked him. He certainly got old man's ears.

I understand Raymond Lim was the same. Old man was taken up by him and until the son realised that this prick was doing another PY on his dad was hoping to be posted to MTI or given an Economist Extraordinaire role but did not deliver on the transport arena.

PY understands squat. What do you want with R&D? Are you going to invent products that save the world? There are many but will never do so as big corporations
do not like revenue destruction inventions.
If you want R&D to create a basis to scam the world or to IPO and do a multi level marketing exit strategy (nice term for sucker you up your ass), then what is done is different. If it is latter they aim, the team fucks up because they also come in too late and get scammed and they do not know how to position.
Good inventions and R&D by itself mean nothing. Look, teflon took half a century before someone could spin it and there is still debate whether it gives you cancer.
But hell, it is making money. NEXT was a great computer that never took off because it was in black and white.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great points. Jack of all trades but master of none. We all watched as Tony Fernandez was building Air Asia. He used to come to Singapore to negotiate with the authorities but was getting kicked in the shin. They then went for Valuair which is more or less gone . I remember used to come by cab to Suntec from Changi and after talks will leave the same day.

Now the bugger got hotel chain, F1 team and manged to get Branson to dress up as a air stewardess.

Wow this dude sure sounds like a pathetic fuck... He should either go shoot himself with a bullet or heroin dose. Life is too short to live by your dads standards. We singaporeans hang on to respectability way too much. But to be fair, we as a society have to learn to accept failure. Entrepreneurship and creativity necessitate a large degree of failure. But happens to failures? Bankruptcy, ostracism, lack of a safety net etc...

AirAsia came from Malaysia...

Human effort is like water flowing downhill. It finds the path of least resistance. This is why you see CVs like this... To be fair, it reflects effort on his part. But one wonders if we should push people down this trail...

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

I would recommend tim hart fords Why success starts with failure as n insight into how beauracracy fails and how it succeeds.

Locke

Great points. Jack of all trades but master of none. We all watched as Tony Fernandez was building Air Asia. He used to come to Singapore to negotiate with the authorities but was getting kicked in the shin. They then went for Valuair which is more or less gone . I remember used to come by cab to Suntec from Changi and after talks will leave the same day.

Now the bugger got hotel chain, F1 team and manged to get Branson to dress up as a air stewardess.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

And I use to be tutored by that phd who created Yong Yong Yi. A long long time ago I was struck at how a cabinet discussion dismissed the idea of research into genes and how specific Asian genes worked against specific standard treatment protocols. The man behind this idea was dismissed as a charlatans etc by PY etc etc. Well what was I to said ? Five years later the MNCs pharma were researching this in depth as an area in an article in the economist. That was when I decided civil servAnts should not dream

Locke

QUOTE=scroobal;752819]Great points. Jack of all trades but master of none. We all watched as Tony Fernandez was building Air Asia. He used to come to Singapore to negotiate with the authorities but was getting kicked in the shin. They then went for Valuair which is more or less gone . I remember used to come by cab to Suntec from Changi and after talks will leave the same day.

Now the bugger got hotel chain, F1 team and manged to get Branson to dress up as a air stewardess.[/QUOTE]