• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The need to take up high debt and struggle in Singapore is not progress....

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
My grand father did not borrow a single cent and managed to raise 5 children.
My father was in debt for 7 years to pay for current 2 room hdb and raise one child.
A father.in my generation working the.same job as
my dad who.was.bus conductor.and later a factory worker probably cannot start a family ....a technician earning $1200 a month has to be indebt for.25 yrs to own his flat.

Why do we call this progress? ...each generation.becoming more deeply in.debt than.another being less able to retire than the previous.generation. Spending more time worrying than living.

When my father was alive and working in what was seen as a.low income job ...he never spent a day worry about job and.money.
Yet I see.my friends today working as trained trechnicians struggling to raise a family.

Is this progress when the life of one generation becomes worse than the next and even harder for the Children of this generation....

Kenneth

Alfrescian
Loyal
my dad who.was.bus conductor.and later a factory worker probably cannot start a family ....a technician earning $1200 a month has to be indebt for.25 yrs to own his flat.

How old is your dad?

Last edited:

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
My father was in debt for 7 years to pay for current 2 room hdb and raise one child.

The question is if you can't even afford to pay for your own flat, why do you want to have kids?
It don't make any sense...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A father.in my generation working the.same job as

Why do we call this progress? ...each generation.becoming more deeply in.debt than.another being less able to retire than the previous.generation. Spending more time worrying than living.

When my father was alive and working in what was seen as a.low income job ...he never spent a day worry about job and.money.
Yet I see.my friends today working as trained trechnicians struggling to raise a family.

Is this progress when the life of one generation becomes worse than the next and even harder for the Children of this generation....

why are you still in sinkieland?

if you move out of sinkieland, that is called real progress.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right in questioning this. The cost of living has risen so much that we cannot afford to do what the previous generations are doing. A decent job with a decent pay that allows you to do what you want in life. Its not just that, the "expectation" of getting a bigger house, a car etc also plays into it. Read Elizabeth Warren's book "the two income trap" on how this is happening in America. This is one of the many factors I have thought of when I decide to migrate. I know there are many factors when you are considering migration or not, friends and family is a big part of it. For me, I can make friends anywhere I want, family is a bit tougher, but eventually, they are convinced it was the right move. Citing your example, over here, I live among, tradies, aussie lingo for technicians, that are earning 150K. I know of people that are butchers, seafood sellers, that are earning a decent wage. At the end of the day, you can earn a decent wage regardless of what profession, work you do over here. A big part of the reason is the strong labour movement here. As much as the PAP try to say, strikes are bad, political dissension is bad, a fair wage is the result you see in aussieland today. Would it happen in Singapore? I don't know. Perhaps in another 30-50 years. As many people have said before, we need a stronger opposition party so there can be adequate change for the country.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keeping the wages of those at the bottom down it is easier to award excessive compensation at the top....this is what the pap has done.
You are right in questioning this. The cost of living has risen so much that wwe cannot afford to do what the previous generations are doing. A decent job with a decent pay that allows you to do what you want in life. Its not just that, the "expectation" of getting a bigger house, a car etc also plays into it. Read Elizabeth Warren's book "the two income trap" on how this is happening in America. This is one of the many factors I have thought of when I decide to migrate. I know there are many factors when you are considering migration or not, friends and family is a big part of it. For me, I can make friends anywhere I want, family is a bit tougher, but eventually, they are convinced it was the right move. Citing your example, over here, I live among, tradies, aussie lingo for technicians, that are earning 150K. I know of people that are butchers, seafood sellers, that are earning a decent wage. At the end of the day, you can earn a decent wage regardless of what profession, work you do over here. A big part of the reason is the strong labour movement here. As much as the PAP try to say, strikes are bad, political dissension is bad, a fair wage is the result you see in aussieland today. Would it happen in Singapore? I don't know. Perhaps in another 30-50 years. As many people have said before, we need a stronger opposition party so there can be adequate change for the country.

cunnosieur

Alfrescian
Loyal
The govt and PM LHL, and the whitepaper can do whatever they want

WE, the ordinary people can do other things vs the foreigners influx.

One is by raising the cost of entry into S'pore.

I am raising the cost of entry into Spore by renting out my 3 room HDB at sgd 4,500 per month.
http://www.h88.com.sg/ads/hdb/rent/bukit+batok/bukit+batok+street+52/55629dbde

I told them that Hotel 81, one small room with a toilet is charging sgd 100+ a night. For an Indian Ah Neh family of 4, 2 rooms = sgd 100++ x 2 x 30 days = sgd 6000 per month in Hotel 81. My 3 room HDB pigeon hole is bigger, better and more comfortable!

I urge fellow S'porean to do likewise what you can within your control....ie, raising the cost of entry for all foreigners...Indians, Pinoys and PRCs, they have no NS, want to come to Spore n complain that our HDB flats are pigeon holes...so let them BLEED through their bloody noses, and feel the pinch.

If the cost of entry for foreigners (like housing) is high, they will feel the pinch of S'poreans living and staying in S'pore, they wont lowball and depress wages. Employers will see no dollar advantage employing these foreigners if their wages factor in their housing costs.

So pls help spread the words to your firends and fellow countrymen to raise their housing rentals for foreigners! This is something that we can do other than protesting futilelessly at Hong Lim.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How often your grand father have a meal of meats? How often your father and his sibling had a proper meal with chicken, pork or duck?? Do your grandfather own a TV, PC or Iphone??? How often you grandfather go for a holiday???

If you spend like your grandfather, you not need to make any loan too...:biggrin:

My father used to tell me they only have meat every year during CNY... And he pass on without even travel oversea accept Malaysia...

If you want to compare your grandfather, make sure you compare everything... Do not behave like PAP to compare difference countries when talk about difference topic!!!:rolleyes:

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
How often your grand father have a meal of meats? How often your father and his sibling had a proper meal with chicken, pork or duck?? Do your grandfather own a TV, PC or Iphone??? How often you grandfather go for a holiday???

If you spend like your grandfather, you not need to make any loan too...:biggrin:

My father used to tell me they only have meat every year during CNY... And he pass on without even travel oversea accept Malaysia...

If you want to compare your grandfather, make sure you compare everything... Do not behave like PAP to compare difference countries when talk about difference topic!!!:rolleyes:

Eating meat = good? iPhone and.iPad are new inventions.that did.not exist in the past even.richest man in singapore dun have.
This new devices make.life better no doubt...
and now we have 100 channel cable, xbox
...these are technological.progress brought about by engineers and
inventors...

However, you missed the essence of the article which is discuasing debt levels
we spend a proportionately small.amounts on iPhone, iPad that enhance our liveseven maids have tablets these days...our debt
levels is caused by other expenditures...and high debt incurrance is not beneficial and as we progress this aspect has to be address otherwise it negates the benficial.parts

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You provide daily cleaning, household cleaning, change of bedsheets, as well like hotel 81?

The govt and PM LHL, and the whitepaper can do whatever they want

WE, the ordinary people can do other things vs the foreigners influx.

One is by raising the cost of entry into S'pore.

I am raising the cost of entry into Spore by renting out my 3 room HDB at sgd 4,500 per month.
http://www.h88.com.sg/ads/hdb/rent/bukit+batok/bukit+batok+street+52/55629dbde

I told them that Hotel 81, one small room with a toilet is charging sgd 100+ a night. For an Indian Ah Neh family of 4, 2 rooms = sgd 100++ x 2 x 30 days = sgd 6000 per month in Hotel 81. My 3 room HDB pigeon hole is bigger, better and more comfortable!

I urge fellow S'porean to do likewise what you can within your control....ie, raising the cost of entry for all foreigners...Indians, Pinoys and PRCs, they have no NS, want to come to Spore n complain that our HDB flats are pigeon holes...so let them BLEED through their bloody noses, and feel the pinch.

If the cost of entry for foreigners (like housing) is high, they will feel the pinch of S'poreans living and staying in S'pore, they wont lowball and depress wages. Employers will see no dollar advantage employing these foreigners if their wages factor in their housing costs.

So pls help spread the words to your firends and fellow countrymen to raise their housing rentals for foreigners! This is something that we can do other than protesting futilelessly at Hong Lim.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How often your grand father have a meal of meats? If you spend like your grandfather, you not need to make any loan too...:biggrin:

my grandfather had the table full of food on every meal, meat and such, and he didn't have any loan

It's the difference of sociology and economic structure of different time lah

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
my grandfather had the table full of food on every meal, meat and such, and he didn't have any loan

It's the difference of sociology and economic structure of different time lah

minister Shan made this observation: "He noted that people often divorce the idea of growth from their personal income, but he stressed that economic growth has a direct impact on employment and salaries."

as usual, master of half truth. inflation adjusted, the Majority of the population has had practically zero wage growth despite economic growth. all that the economic growth in the past 10 years has brought about is wage stagnation from their import-FT-for-growth policy.

who's making money? him and his lawyer and banker buddies. the rest of us can watch as inflation erodes our wages and savings.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question is if you can't even afford to pay for your own flat, why do you want to have kids?
It don't make any sense...

Pappies suppressed your wages and make flats unfordable and because of this you wanna die alone and be a slave to the pappies..that in itself don't make sense..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Young Sinkees should consider staying with their parents. What's wrong with staying with parents? For the young couples who insist on getting their own flats at the current ridiculous price, I confirm 90% will face hardship. The best is get own flat and rent it out since the garberment is bring in so much FTs. Get the rental income first.

Also get to enjoy home cook food. Confirm better than the MSG food outside.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eating meat = good? iPhone and.iPad are new inventions.that did.not exist in the past even.richest man in singapore dun have.
This new devices make.life better no doubt...
and now we have 100 channel cable, xbox
...these are technological.progress brought about by engineers and
inventors...

However, you missed the essence of the article which is discuasing debt levels
we spend a proportionately small.amounts on iPhone, iPad that enhance our liveseven maids have tablets these days...our debt
levels is caused by other expenditures...and high debt incurrance is not beneficial and as we progress this aspect has to be address otherwise it negates the benficial.parts

This is what so difference compare to our last generation... My dad was so happy if he is able to get a chicken drum stick to eat when he was young. Now my kids hate chicken, it is so difficult to feed them, refuse to eat almost everything.

I can also code you another example, my friend which is earning about 1 to 2K 20 years ago and currently he is earning 3.5K a month, he just took about 5 to 7 years to clear his housing loan... I have asked him why don't he upgrade his current 4 room flat to a bigger unit... He told me he is currently debt free why he need to go into debt again???

So do not blame anyone when you are in debt... To be in debt is a choices... Forget to add, my friend do not own and car( he is find with taking public transport) and seldom see him in luxury items..

Last edited: