• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The most famous press statement in S'pore's Political History

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Everytime I feel I'm not putting out and I feel sorry for myself, I come back to this thread and re-read the first post, and then I feel better already.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh wow, I can't believe you would also buy into that twisted 'statement'.
These are Pritam Singh's exact words from his speech:

“It may be a case in future whereby the PAP only wins 36 and we may have to form a coalition government. There is only a finite number of individual parties they want to work with.”

The meaning here should be quite clear. It doesn't mean WP will automatically choose to enter into a coalition with the PAP, although everyone seem to love twisting those words to mean that. What Pritam Singh means is that if it ever comes to that situation where the PAP fails to win the majority but has the largest share of seats, the PAP will be put into the situation where they have to ask one of the other parties to form a coalition, and if the PAP chooses the WP, they would have to consider at that point of time if accepting may be in the best interest for Singapore. The other options the Worker's Party would have is to form a coalition with all the other opposition parties, or to simply decline and see if the PAP will choose someone else or form a minority government.

Yeah but how many other ways are there to read "If the PAP fails to win a majority in the next election, the Workers Party will form a coalition government with it "? There are other interpretations but none of them are as probable as this one.

I wonder how much power a junior partner of a coalition really has. I heard of reports where the lib dems are always complaining of being stiffed by the conservatives.

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
.. if it ever comes to that situation where the PAP fails to win the majority but has the largest share of seats, the PAP will be put into the situation where they have to ask one of the other parties to form a coalition, ....

not quite yet; possible but improbable; we need to muster the meek and beef up their courage; we have made progress in the last 3 years or so .... time is needed; the ongoings in cyberspace is testimony; the IB is evidence