• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The most breathtaking spots along the Appalachian Trail

jw5

Loyal
1650988864024.png

The most breathtaking spots along the Appalachian Trail​

The Appalachian Trail is a must-hike for any outdoors enthusiast. Stretching from Georgia all the way up to Maine, the Appalachian Trail (or AT for short) is the longest hiking-only trail in the world. While preparation for this walk can take months, the scenic pay-offs along the way are well worth the effort.

jw5

Loyal
1650988910101.png

Springer Mountain​

For those looking to complete the Appalachian Trail from the very beginning to the very end, the journey starts at the top of Springer Mountain. Located in Fannin County, Georgia, the rocky slopes of Springer Mountain have a value all their own.

jw5

Loyal
1650988931891.png

Springer Mountain​

During the summertime, wildflowers of all shapes and colors can be seen on the trek up to the summit. Peaking at 3,783 feet (about 1,150 m) above sea level, hikers are rewarded with stunning views of pine, maple, and other hardwood trees that blanket the slopes of the Southern Appalachians.

jw5

Loyal
1650988964230.png

Max Patch​

A stark change of surroundings compared to the mostly forested Appalachian Trail, Max Patch is a 350-acre area free of trees, and has been such since it was cleared for cattle over 200 years ago.

jw5

Loyal
1650988987940.png

Max Patch​

This clearing offers fantastic views of the surrounding area, including Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain peak east of the Mississippi. Max Patch also provides a welcome opportunity for hikers to frolic through fields of wildflowers and camp out under an unobstructed starry night sky.

jw5

Loyal
1651063662934.png

Eastern Roan Highlands​

The beginning of the Roan Highlands marks the departure from North Carolina into Tennessee. Very different from the other half of the Roan Highlands, the eastern stretch consists of three bald summits.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when you hike any ulu trail with a chiobu companion the most breathtaking spot is usually her g-spot anywhere along the trail.

• Haha
Reactions: jw5

jw5

Loyal
1651067688449.png

Eastern Roan Highlands​

From the top of any of these peaks, Round Bald, Grassy Ridge Bald, or Jane Bald, hikers can soak in the vast expanses before them, and look on along the seemingly endless Appalachian ridgeline before heading back into the forests that dominate most of the trail.

jw5

Loyal
1651076367870.png

Roan Mountain​

After following the Roan Highlands into Tennessee, hikers will find themselves approaching Roan Mountain, in an environment quite different from that of the Eastern Highlands. Roan Mountain is characterized by thick, moss-covered spruce-fir forests, and is separated from the second stretch of highlands by Carver’s Gap.

jw5

Loyal
1651157422171.png

Roan Mountain​

Also hiding amongst the trees here is the world’s largest natural rhododendron garden, which attracts thousands of visitors every June when these bright purple flowers are in full bloom.

jw5

Loyal
1651163337095.png

Clingmans Dome​

Clingmans Dome is the highest point of the Appalachian Trail, standing tall at 6,643 feet (2,025 m), and one of the last stops in North Carolina before crossing into Tennessee. Clingmans Dome is also consequently the highest point in the Great Smoky Mountains, and the third highest point east of the Mississippi.

jw5

Loyal
1651165265971.png

Clingmans Dome​

Hikers willing to put in a bit of extra effort to climb the winding ascent to the observation tower atop the peak will be rewarded with awe-inspiring 360° views of the Great Smoky Mountains from above, with visibility of up to a hundred miles (over 150 km) on a clear, unpolluted day.

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
@jw5 I don't know... the first time I saw the Appalachians, I thought to myself: "what, that's it? where are the mountains... these are hills".

After doing research, I found out that they are the oldest mountain range in the world, from about 400+ million years ago. Then, they were spectacular like the Rockies or Himalayas. But now? I think they're uh, underwhelming...

jw5

Loyal
@jw5 I don't know... the first time I saw the Appalachians, I thought to myself: "what, that's it? where are the mountains... these are hills".

After doing research, I found out that they are the oldest mountain range in the world, from about 400+ million years ago. Then, they were spectacular like the Rockies or Himalayas. But now? I think they're uh, underwhelming...

Have to go there to experience the real thing, difficult to tell from pictures. :wink:

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
No idea, have never been there. :wink:
Makes sense then. Put it to you this way… Rockies, Himalayas, Swiss/Italian Alps are mountains like you drew in primary school. Appalachians are like the foothills of the Himalaya… they are there, but you would not think of them as mountains with the Himalayas in the background.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
1651245677150.png

Laurel Falls​

One of the greatest (and most refreshing) sights on the Tennessee stretch of trail is Laurel Falls. The 80-foot (24-m) tall cascades hidden amongst the old-growth forests and lush laurel shrubs that give the area its name are a popular destination for hikers as well as those who come just for a cool dip in the pool at the bottom of the falls.

jw5

Loyal
1651250212164.png

Laurel Falls​

The trail up to the falls is also one of the only paved sections of trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, as it also acts as a fire trail on the way to the now-decrepit fire tower on top of Cove Mountain.

jw5

Loyal
1651321002970.png

Damascus​

Damascus, Virginia, about 450 miles (724 km) north of Springer Mountain, is one of the first stops for hikers in Virginia, which contains more of the Appalachian Trail than any other state, about a quarter of the total trail.