• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The hard truths on why SG's academics are BOH lam pars..

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thinkers 'should join conversation'

Former top civil servant Ngiam urges academics to 'help the State ask the right questions'

Updated 06:58 AM Nov 09, 2012

by Ng Jing Yng

SINGAPORE - Known for speaking his mind on national policies after his retirement from the Civil Service, former Permanent Secretary Ngiam Tong Dow yesterday called on academics in tertiary institutions here to join the fray on public discourse.

Speaking at the 3rd China-India-Singapore dialogue on higher education hosted by the National University of Singapore (NUS), the NUS Pro-Chancellor challenged the Singapore-based academics among the 160-strong audience - which included academics from overseas institutions - to "help the State to ask the right questions".

Mr Ngiam, 75, argued that this is key to the Republic achieving sustainable economic growth.

Rather than boosting population numbers, what Singapore needs to do is to increase its knowledge base - and, in that regard, universities have to do more than just teach "skills and technical knowledge".

Urging university faculty members to offer views on national issues, Mr Ngiam noted that "unlike the Civil Service, university dons are detached from the Executive".

Said Mr Ngiam: "By elucidating different dimensions of a national problem, our thinkers in ivory towers can indeed enlighten the legislature to make (better) decisions for Singapore."

Speaking to reporters later, Mr Ngiam reiterated that with academics participating in the national discourse, the process could eventually lead to a "more sensible conclusion".

While he acknowledged that some academics may be worried about speaking out on national policies, he stressed that "there is a difference between critiquing and criticising" - the former means looking at things in a different way, he said.

Citing the example of Shanghai, where top brains across disciplines come together to study a local issue, Mr Ngiam said universities here should not research for its own sake.

Citing Singapore's family planning challenges, Mr Ngiam suggested that apart from sociologists, other thought leaders could provide their views, possibly resulting in an inter-disciplinary solution.

University professors TODAY spoke to agreed with Mr Ngiam that academia has a role to play in spurring public discussion.

Nanyang Technological University sociologist Kwok Kian Woon reiterated that faculty members can raise wider and deeper questions, and contribute informed and non-partisan views.

Singapore Management University (SMU) law lecturer Eugene Tan, who has commented extensively on public issues, cited the fear factor as a possible deterrent for academics to speak out.

But, he pointed out: "Precisely because tax-payers contribute substantively to the funding of the autonomous universities here, there is the need for universities and academics not to be stuck in the proverbial ivory towers."

Also, some academics would be uncomfortable with putting forward their views when they do not have all the facts and figures, Asst Prof Tan said. At the same time, some senior faculty "frown upon their colleagues being involved", he said. "They regard such involvement as purely non-academic and not in keeping with the academic norms," he added.

NUS transport analyst Lee Der-Horng, who has also spoken out regularly on transport issues, said he found it strange that compared to other countries, academics here are not necessarily thought leaders who drive discussion on public issues.

Dr Lee, who is born in Taiwan, said he did not feel that his status as a foreigner hampered his ability to contribute to Singapore's national discourse. "People have posted nasty comments online … but I say what I feel and think before I make the comment," he said.

SMU political science lecturer Bridget Welsh felt that "there has not been enough signals that there is acceptance of different points of view".

She suggested that the Ministry of Education assess universities based on their contributions to policies, and facilitate more exchanges between faculty members and bureaucrats.

URL http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121109-0000057/Thinkers-should-join-conversation

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. this is some wayanging.
3. if specimen is genuine & without some agenda.
4. it could have done it during its employment terms mah.
5. oops! i have almost forgotten!
5. dafter sheep or running dogs do not bite the hands that feed it.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I have no respect whatsoever for those who loyally served the regime while it committed its worst atrocities and then morphed into outspoken critics of the very system they helped create and perpetuate.

Where was Ngiam when LKY destroyed the lives of some of my innocent family members whose only "crime" was to speak out in support of Chinese education.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no respect whatsoever for those who loyally served the regime while it committed its worst atrocities and then morphed into outspoken critics of the very system they helped create and perpetuate.

i share exactly the same sentiments. the least they can do is either resign or leave if conscience bothers them. the worst are those who claim they would offer insider tips and change the system from within if they were to stay in service (and reap the high renumeration and rewards). :rolleyes:

i will add to your points.:cool:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are Chinese?! :eek: I always thought you are ah neh.

Where was Ngiam when LKY destroyed the lives of some of my innocent family members whose only "crime" was to speak out in support of Chinese education.

Last edited:

kiacaren

Alfrescian
Loyal
NUS transport analyst Lee Der-Horng, who has also spoken out regularly on transport issues, said he found it strange that compared to other countries, academics here are not necessarily thought leaders who drive discussion on public issues.

Singapore government only interested in squeezing as much as possibly they could. Are they really interested in discussion on public issues like the S$92k COE?

Dinosaur

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well said, bro.

That Ngiam is just another Scheinheiliger (English equivalent is "hypocrite"). It would seem that more and more of such breed are appearing by the day.

scheinen = to appear
heilige = holy

Last edited:

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can anyone wonder why protest or demonstrations on social and political issues are often led by students and notby the thinkers in the academia? But could the thinkers see that the Natcon is different, that the govt is extending an invitation to all Sinkies to speak out and tell the govt what they want for the future of Sin? If the academics are shrouded with fear from opening their gold gilded minds, the govt would have no choice but to ask the uncles and aunties in the market and hawker stalls what they would like Sin to be. And what the uncles and aunties decided, the Ivory Tower academics would have to live with it, if they don’t open their golden mouths. Or is it that the academia is filled with foreigners and they rather not be involved in local politics?

- http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/11/calling-thinkers-for-natcon.html

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. sammy, what do you expect from some dafter sheep or running dog do?
2. either whacking its tail towards its master or blah to the same tune hoh!
3. this is the same herd of dafter sheep and running dogs, all roll into one!

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are Chinese?! :eek: I always thought you are ah neh.

hi there

1. fat kid!
2. sammy has alleged he is some middle-eastern caught in-between individual.
3. now, do your own conclusion!
4. betterer still, consult erect2011.

Bebeque

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't forget many of these por lam pars morphed into MPs, NMPs and directors of public companies/GLCs.

Why not? after just a few years, they can join the exalted ranks of the sinkie millionaires club.

You know who.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why kill the golden goose that lay the eggs ? Life/World is always unfair. The wise will always tell the lesser.

Don't blame life, blame your parents.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore government only interested in squeezing as much as possibly they could. Are they really interested in discussion on public issues like the S$92k COE?

Oh yes, i second you. Why care ? These Singaporeans deserve to be squeeze by PAP. No balls just complain. PAP and Singaporean deserve each other.