• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The future of Singapore's Opposition

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
You already have the candidates.

The issue is not the candidates.

The issue lies in the level of your co-operation with each other. WP has strengths SDP do not have. Vice versa.

It also lies in the image you gave to the voters.

if your candidates refer to SDP or the F4, then GOD BLESS SINGAPORE!!

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most problems start at the very top. It is the same for every party.

The solution must also come from the top.

This level of working together is the goal of almost every social organization, not neccessarily political. It is rarely successful. That is why we have so many charities, religious organizations, political parties.

Unfortunately in view of the weak opposition, unity is something they must consider - combined resources, combined talent which leads to better pr with the voters

But the solution must come from the top. When they quarrel, their people will also quarrel.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
great idea
boycott all elections and allow PAP free run in all polices with no one to question them

if boycott had worked, barisan would have won long time ago and PAP wont be calling so much of a shot today.

do a check on ur history.

those who keep calling for boycott, hmm, it shows who they work for, doesn't it?

ericgo32

Alfrescian
Loyal
But I am not questioning your choice. I believe in your right to your choice.

What I am asking is why do you hold such a belief about our elections?

1) constant changing of elections boundaries jus before GE

2)raising of contesting candidates deposits

3)formations of GRCs( from 3candidate to presents day four or even up to six in a GRC ward)

4) our election dept are not independent(All of them are civil servant from various ministries and stat board.)

5) No calls for by election for GRC ward when one of the ward MP passed on

6)defamation suit by ruling party during election campaigns

my dad boycott the last election, recently he receive a letter from the election dept asking him to state a reason why he didnt come to cast his vote. if the reason given isnt valid u gotta to pay 10 buck or so to get urself re register with election dept if u decided to vote again the next election. Is this a democratic way of how this goverment is treating our citizen?

Why a NEED to state a reason for not casting my vote?
Why a NEED to deem if my reason is valid or not, and if its not why the need for us to pay an administrative fee in order to be eiligible to vote the next time round?

IT NON OF THE GOVERMENT BUSINESS TO KNOW WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN WHY ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO CHOOSES NOT TO GO AND VOTE.

twochan

Alfrescian
Loyal
A dark horse will come out and overwhelm everybody.

From the voters’ perspective, their willingness to use their votes conscientiously must be coupled with good choices provided to them.

For a first consideration, let us assess the capability of the leaders to stir the imagination of the voters.

NSP: do not know much of them to comment

SDA: Chiam appears to be not too well

RP: the strength of RP is derived from JBJ

WP: LTK is a cautious leader and plays a tight game. Thus he will be able to protect his party. But will he be able to inspire the neutral voters to vote for him?

SDP: CSJ is by far the most visible leader today. However he choose to work outside of the system and is painted in ugly dark tones by his opponents. Can his direction change and he use his strength and passion to bring about a future for the opposition?
Would you all like to peer into the crystal ball and share your insights?

Let me start:

(1) the emergence of a new outwardly neutral political party may well neutralized the current opposition. Then the opposition has no future.

(2) there are some talented people within the opposition, young and vibrant. If they have the vision, why not encourage them to form strong bonds with members of different parties, so that a common identity will grow.
Ok, over to you. What do you think will be the future of singapore's opposition?

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
This level of working together is the goal of almost every social organization, not neccessarily political. It is rarely successful. That is why we have so many charities, religious organizations, political parties.

The issue is with not just the leaders, but with who is suppose to lead in such a cooperation.

in such a situation of a weak SDP and a strong WP, who should lead? SDP or WP?

if there is no leadership, there is no direcdtion. but on what direction should one or all to follow? that would be the better issue to discuss.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
those who keep calling for boycott, hmm, it shows who they work for, doesn't it?

those who call for boycott of any kind is just an act of submission to the enemy.

if anyone think that PAP would cow under boycott, either is too naive or just want to let PAP run everything without thinking of what is to happen next.
that to me is treactery

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is with not just the leaders, but with who is suppose to lead in such a cooperation.

in such a situation of a weak SDP and a strong WP, who should lead? SDP or WP?

if there is no leadership, there is no direcdtion. but on what direction should one or all to follow? that would be the better issue to discuss.

I had avoided talking about who should lead in such a venture because such questions are best decided by themselves.

A leader must be accepted by both as the leader.

And they can only do so if there is communication.

That is why my suggestions are always for them to talk things over, think it over and decide on the common grounds.

Leaders can always work together jointly on common grounds.

ericgo32

Alfrescian
Loyal
those who call for boycott of any kind is just an act of submission to the enemy.

This is a letter my dad receive exactly 2yrs after the 2006 GE.

Dear Sir,

RESORATION OF NAME TO THE REGISTER OF ELECTORS

Our records show that your name has been expunged from the register of electors as u did not vote in the election mention below:

Year of election: 2006 General election

Nomination day: 27 april 2006

Polling day: 06 May 2006

2. You may apply for your name to be restored to the Register of Electors using the application form(Form A)enclosed.please complete and sign the form and return it to Election Department either using the self addressed envelope enclosed or fax to 63362006. You will be informed when your name has been restored to the Register of Electors.

3. Thank you

Yours faithfully

SIM KHENG KWANG
ASSISTANT REGISTRATION OFFICER
ELECTIONS DEPARTMENT.

Cleareyes,
i dont see why i need to be answerable to the govt for not going to vote, simple, it jus goes to show just how how much fear the govt hav when the citizens are not casting their vote in a election process thats formulated by the PAP govt for the last 3 decades.

Last edited:

ericgo32

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 2nd part of the letter is actually a reply form back to election dept.

To:
REGISTRATION OFFICER
ELECTIONS DEPARTMENT
Name :XXXX
Nomination day: 27 apr 2006 Polling day: 06 May 2006 Age:XX

I truthfully declared that to the best of my knowledge, i did not vote at the 2006 General Election in the constituency of XXXXXXXXX due to the following reason.:-

REASON(Please tick one box only.)
(Supporting documents will be requested, If required)

OVERSEAS

1) Working(for employee) 2) On business(self employed) 3) Studying 4) Vacation 4)Military training 5) with spouse who was working overseas 5 )with spouse who was on business overseas 6) Residing overseas

Period away: From:_________to ___________

Medical

1) sick 2) maternity

Others(please specify)

Your contact particular

Tel:___________ Fax:____________ Email:_______ Date:________

Signature/thumb
Mark of applicant
Nric No.XXXXXX

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is interesting guavatree.

The PAP does have a very good future in Singapore.

But do you think the opposition will have an equally good future?

If so, what will be that future like?

U seems like TracyTan66 "ex-SBF forummer" who works as govt SPY, seeking more feedback to pre-emp her Master LKY.:cool:

ur question getting more interesting indeed.:rolleyes:

Are u the one?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
the phrase used to be "when azaleas blooms in the pouring snow, the red dragon flies to the sky"

but it was too long

so after joint consultations, it was shortened to a six-letter word, beginning with 's' and ending with 'd'.

i doubt you can guess it.

anyway what wrong did i do to you that you should be so abusive?

why don't you calm down and think of the damage you are doing to the opposition...that should give you pause for thought unless that was your deliberate intention?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back to topic, I think this is a good leader even if he's fictional.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDYrHF8gNn8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDYrHF8gNn8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are only two leaders at this point in time. And the future of the opposition rests upon them.

I hope they can find a suitable working relationship.

There are so many things they can do, even more if they do it as a team.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me consolidate my contributions so far and leave it to the leaders for their consideration:

(1) avoid the name "opposition". It is a reactive term. And all it tells the people is that you are an opposer. Which means you are anti-something. Which means people will view you with reservation. Someone bandied the name 'Opposition Front'. That name is extremely negative sounding. It is far better to position yourself as a viable, independent, responsible party that is for the people; than to position yourself as opposing something

(2) create a single party or platform: it makes it easier for voters to identify with you

(3) teach the voters the value of their single vote; their vote, their choices, their consequences

(4) do not be pro-human-rights, pro-opposition, etc BUT be pro-voters: they are the ones who will get you into Parliament

(5) do not get tied up with policy debates simply because you do not have access to the full data to argue intelligently

(6) create a JBJ Foundation to engage economists to do independent research and sponsor post-doctoral projects. There are 33% singaporeans who do not mind contributing a cup of coffee each year to the memory of JBJ. Then when you talk to voters you talk authoritatively

(7) as working suggestions for the harmony of opposition parties: consider letting SDP supporters help around your WP ward so that they can gain expertise in running a constituency; consider having WP supporters helping SDA to help Chiam See Tong over the next two years; There is no point sitting in a table discussing cooperation when you can actually practice it

(8) create a simple slogan and a catchy tagline and keep on promoting this for the next two years

At least it is hoped that the two opposition leaders will consider these 8 points. If they choose to reject it as impractical then at least they have better alternatives.

At the end of the day, it is hoped that they will offer a viable alternative to the voters.

And I would like to conclude to the opposition: it is also your choice to choose if you want to work together and you reap the consequences of your own choice: for better or for worse

That is all.

Last edited:

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe you had gotten it right from point (1). Alternative would surely sound sweet and nice to fence sitters.
To have all the different camps united as a single entity? Look around this forum first.