• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The end of Chee's SDP?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think that has been a party anywhere in the world that has received this much of attention in 20 years straight, carried the highest profile within the opposition camp and consistently again for 20 straight years and pioneered the use of alternate and now powerful social media and has nothing to show for it.

The master of foreplay? Maybe the longest political foreplay. So how did it come to this. A proposal that was so ridiculous and ludicrous, that there was immediate and unusual twin reaction - stunned and breaking out in laughter.

To the "more discerning" was it a venom filled barb as the game has been lost with no hope when the press release to release the 3 letters to WP backfired. The barb was that WP was not worthy of being parliamentary representative.

There are however a silver lining in the cloud, not for Chee or his close associates. The party has been a magnet for some bright and promising individuals in recent years. I suspect the only magnet as other political parties are entirely unattractive in the first place or where their politics are, they are rather snobbish in terms of membership.

There is clear clear need for a vent or an outlet and a natural outcome is a new party. RP was that new party but one individual killed it swiftly not once but twice.

So watch SBF for the latest.................. In the meantime, let us take this opportunity to wave a long goodbye to Chee Soon Juan and his merry band of champagne socialites, culture-jammers, fan club members, self styled policy wonks who can't see the forest for the trees, self labelled activists and the usual blur-fucks. Time to part the bum cheeks once again, this time to take the head out and see the world for what it is.

Last edited:

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rightly said!
Let us toast to the death of Dr Chee! Hip hip Hooray!

Don't think there is anything to be happy about. Situation is still salvageable if they withdraw before Nomination Day and put their resources towards working the ground in the wards they were defeated in. Hopefully someone will talk some sense into him.

Vigilante

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't think there is anything to be happy about. Situation is still salvageable if they withdraw before Nomination Day and put their resources towards working the ground in the wards they were defeated in. Hopefully someone will talk some sense into him.

This guy has too much personal vendetta and egoism... he will not be good for singapore whether in pap or opposition...

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
And good riddance to him. I have never liked the person much. In fact, I think of all the opposition party out there in Singapore, he is the weakest link. Yes, even GMS is much better then him.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depends on what you mean by "end".

To some people, 1997 was already SDP's end. Others saw it as a beginning.

Some people don't stamp the word "end" until a party becomes totally dormant. Even RP after suffering several blows due to its silliness is still alive and kicking.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wont be surprised if people start leaving in droves....VW, PT leading..

The party just committed suicide..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. I understand there is feverish attempt by some new and influential members. SDP has a formidable presence in the social media if that goes, there will be huge avoid and the PAP will back to their usual way of stomping over everyone and the SCM will asking us to drink their urine.

WP can never fill that social media interaction as their self-fear in this space is well evidenced.

Thus my title - Chee's SDP and not SDP. This guy has to take a backseat as he did during GE2011 and where they performed their best since 1991. The CEC elections was a serious setup. The line-up was indicative of the future woes to be expected.

Vigilante

Alfrescian
Loyal
And good riddance to him. I have never liked the person much. In fact, I think of all the opposition party out there in Singapore, he is the weakest link. Yes, even GMS is much better then him.

Even if he is not made bankrupt or prosecuted by PAP, i still would not vote for this NUTCASE. Never!
He heart is bad.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I suspect the new-comers in SDP can see for themselves what is happening and will a few will be making alternative plans of their own. But the majority will stick around and try to change things from within.

Even traditional SDP supporters who have never been party members are complaining about the recent spate of events. The left wingers are up in arms. What is going on? What has happened to the SDP that we supporters have come to admire and respect? Their top notch policy making, their steadfast ideals, their commitment to human rights. That is what drove us to SDP. Those were the values that bonded us together.

Even bloggers like Kirstan Han has openly criticized CSJ. She is not an anti-SDP persona. She is a journalist at Asian Correspondence and is known for fairness, wit and top notch writing, sometimes with a liberal dose of clean, uproarious humour. Look at what she said about CSJ's proposal. Those were not mild words.

Only Jeremy Chen is defending the indefensible. Can anyone serious defend a proposal like that. If even the most ultra-left wing liberal like me cannot fathom it, can the swing voter in Punggol East? This is ridiculous.

I have chosen to endorse the WP candidate for PE2013, whoever that may be.

I don't think that has been a party anywhere in the world that has received this much of attention in 20 years straight, carried the highest profile within the opposition camp and consistently again for 20 straight years and pioneered the use of alternate and now powerful social media and has nothing to show for it.

The master of foreplay? Maybe the longest political foreplay. So how did it come to this. A proposal that was so ridiculous and ludicrous, that there was immediate and unusual twin reaction - stunned and breaking out in laughter.

To the "more discerning" was it a venom filled barb as the game has been lost with no hope when the press release to release the 3 letters to WP backfired. The barb was that WP was not worthy of being parliamentary representative.

There are however a silver lining in the cloud, not for Chee or his close associates. The party has been a magnet for some bright and promising individuals in recent years. I suspect the only magnet as other political parties are entirely unattractive in the first place or where their politics are, they are rather snobbish in terms of membership.

There is clear clear need for a vent or an outlet and a natural outcome is a new party. RP was that new party but one individual killed it swiftly not once but twice.

So watch SBF for the latest.................. In the meantime, let us take this opportunity to wave a long goodbye to Chee Soon Juan and his merry band of champagne socialites, culture-jammers, fan club members, self styled policy wonks who can't see the forest for the trees, self labelled activists and the usual blur-fucks. Time to part the bum cheeks once again, this time to take the head out and see the world for what it is.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Master of foreplay? Chee has ejaculated by never managed to shoot straight

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best description of him is the one given by the ex-ISD Director which I thought was very accurate - "hubristic"

This guy has too much personal vendetta and egoism... he will not be good for singapore whether in pap or opposition...

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I suspect the new-comers in SDP can see for themselves what is happening and will a few will be making alternative plans of their own. But the majority will stick around and try to change things from within.

Even traditional SDP supporters who have never been party members are complaining about the recent spate of events. The left wingers are up in arms. What is going on? What has happened to the SDP that we supporters have come to admire and respect? Their top notch policy making, their steadfast ideals, their commitment to human rights. That is what drove us to SDP. Those were the values that bonded us together.

Even bloggers like Kirstan Han has openly criticized CSJ. She is not an anti-SDP persona. She is a journalist at Asian Correspondence and is known for fairness, wit and top notch writing, sometimes with a liberal dose of clean, uproarious humour. Look at what she said about CSJ's proposal. Those were not mild words.

Only Jeremy Chen is defending the indefensible. Can anyone serious defend a proposal like that. If even the most ultra-left wing liberal like me cannot fathom it, can the swing voter in Punggol East? This is ridiculous.

The sudden turn over only one incident against Chee and SDP, the most popular party online, would have been unduly harsh if it wasn't so telling about this person's values.

After all, WP had also made mistakes like MX9 and some accused it of plagiarism and vote buying. But they can be explained away by lack of experience or intellect, in Chee's case his value system was openly exposed.

Chee strikes me as a person who will change his fundamentals after some time. He went back on his word on unity, made opposition's disunity such an eyesore by keep highlighting it and proposed a give-and-take solution that only the SDP took but not gave. In a previous post I also pointed out how he had reversed his position on elections and being confrontational. Someone also pointed out how he insisted on contesting Sembawang in 2006 and refused to talk to WP through the media but today we see that it is opposite.

Whatever outcome of the BE, I think Chee and Jufrie needs to resign, either willingly or by force of other members. Chee's sister needs to go as well. With the largest numbers after WP, it is wasted that the whole SDP team works under these three. I reckon John Tan or Chong Wai Fung as chairman and Vincent W as SG, SDP will stop being a nuisance to other opposition parties and do well on its own.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope so bro.

As I explained to Bill in this thread it is not the party but Chee. There are fantastic people in SDP especially the newer members. There is no other party that is attractive as SDP for those who have a progressive and liberal approach to life and society.

Sometime in this forum I told the story of Jufrie when he was detained. At that time 2 RI boys were also detained. Out of the 3, one RI was held longer and when it was time for NS, he went sent to VC, probably the only RI boy. The other RI boy was released quickly, went to OCS, and eventually became a PAP MP. Jufrie was also released and his entire community considers him an "hantu". He has played quite deep in all 3 best known political parties - WP, Chiam's SDP and Chee's SDP. Yet he became a Chairman shortly after the progress made by SDP in GE2011. And guess who is wagging the dog?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The SDP does not stand a chance in hell of winning any seats in Parliament. At least not when CSJ is leading it. The SDP brand now is so toxic, any level headed voter would stir clear of it. During GE 2011, I was actually heartened to see the SDP fielding quality candidates, namely the team at Holland-BT. Now with this latest announcement, possibly the most illogical one I have heard from any OP here, CSJ has condemned the SDP to political oblivion.

Thank you Dr Chee, for nothing!

Last edited:

LadyArwen

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I see through my crystal ball... Chee falls... SDP rises... Chee is a good man, good academic, good author but poor politician
A stumbling block to SDP he is. If Chee goes SDP will flourish