• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The dirty secret behind economic rice that you eat at kopitiams

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heng ah... the veggie rice stall at the coffeeshop near my place is run by and employs only Malaysians. No Tiongs.

If the veggies are unwashed you'll definitely taste the sand.

lianbeng replies: want cheap, want green, want fresh? :biggrin: cook urself lah!

Last edited:

griffin

Alfrescian
Loyal
The dirty secret behind economic rice that you eat at kopitiams

"For example, the vegetables are never washed at all. One method is to boil a big pot of water and dump the unwashed vegetable to half-cook it. Thereafter, it's then stir fried to taste.

"I do not worry about dirt and slime on the stalks and leaves of the vegetables. I am more perturbed by the tons of insecticide residue on them.

"Wonder no more why city folks like us are getting all kinds of illnesses especially colon cancer. Think of what I just sketched for your imagination. It is no joke and witnessed by my mum working there.

"I was told that no matter how much you wash your insecticide-laced greens, the chemicals will never go away completely. In the case of the typical food stall quoted above, it's far worse than that."

"I have elaborated on the no-washing of the vegetable in a typical food stall. What about the manner of preparation for other food such as chicken wings, meat, fish etc. Yup, they simply throw into the hot boiling oil in the wok and deep fry them.

"Rice is never washed at all before it's put in the rice cooker to steam.

"Another observation made by my mum is that all those ingredients and condiments such as salt, oil, sugar, black or light soy sauce kept in small containers meant for cooking are all left overnight without any lids to secure them.

"Lizards, rats, cockroaches having a big party throughout the night and then they are used in the cooking the next day for our own consumption.
Frightening? Flabbergasted?"
"

We all should understand why there is no or minimum washing of veggies, rice etc by the FT cooks.
Firstly, they are from countries where there is no such washing.
Secondly, they want to save water.
Thirdly, it is against their religion of making fast money.
Fourthly, they realize that when people live long they suffer more. So killing them early by giving them cancer is being humane.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you buy fruit and vegetables at an organic store or farm, you'll notice they are usually not so 'pretty', are smaller, and are pockmarked with 'holes' and indentations from worms and insects feeding on them. But they're a lot tastier and more healthful because they don't contain 2 things: insecticides and chemical fertilizers. (I went to a farm up north once and didn't see a single fly or insect buzzing around – the farmer must have sprayed tons of insecticides on his crops!)

As for their being more costly, if there's more demand for organic produce from consumers and supermarts here obtain economies of scale, prices will come down with time.

The organic Australian produce I get look very good. The kale & Swiss Chard is larger & more leafy, they dwarf the produce I've seen at NTUC. The australian celery is larger than the ones you see at NTUC.

Organic is more expensive but nothing is wasted, I put everything into the juicer including the skin e.g. carrots, apples, kale, swiss chard, beet root, celery,...

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing from the article surprises me. If the article tries to claim that every strand of vegetable was washed clean clean, without sand and foreign particles and the condiments were kept in air-tight containers and all food products were handled with gloves in the highest hygienic standards possible, then it would be surprising.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heng ah... the veggie rice stall at the coffeeshop near my place is run by and employs only Malaysians. No Tiongs.

If the veggies are unwashed you'll definitely taste the sand.

SAME FOR MY PLACE BUT not all M'sians will wash properly mah.................

sometimes the veggies has a ''plasticky'' bitter taste...............i wonder if it's pesticide hor...........

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are much more stuff then just pesticides and fertilisers. Growth hormone and coloring addicitves are also used in most commercial farms. As long as they are within acceptable local standards , can be harvest for sale. Even agricultural biz also quite high tech now.

For the fans of organic products, don't be too happy yet. There are no fix standards on organic farming. Every country different. One example is the water. Some countries test the water too, not just the crop. If water quality fail, then crop also fail. Another one is the containers and pipings, some require to change once a year. That's why the organic labels cost so much.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The thing I fear most about economy rice is the fried luncheon meat. To begin with, many luncheon meat, especially the cheap ma ling brand from PRC is already banned in most countries. These china made luncheon meat is already a big questions mark as to the type of animal parts they put into the meat. On top of that, the economy rice store may deep fry it in reused dirty oil. the more you reuse it, the more carcinogenic the oil gets. I am sure they are getting the cheapest quality of luncheon meat out there, and with the frying oil, its a double whammy.