• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Death Penalty

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
A shame that the TS posted this here instead of the main section! Perhaps a request for it to be moved will be a good idea?

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
My guess is when a nephew or niece of a high ranking official falls victim, then the laws will be adjusted. When Seng Han Tong was punched in the 1st assault, they immediately increased simple assault to a drammatic 10 years jail with a condition for public servant or something along those lines.

Why are heavy vehicles required to be fitted with speed limiter devices? This was implemented after a horrific accident years ago when the wife of a newly minted cabinet member was killed near the turn into Keppel Yacht Club in Tuas. I remembered that the driver of the car, a female friend was killed as well. The car they were travelling in was rammed by a tipper truck when the female driver made a sudden switching of lanes when she realised that she was going to miss the turn into the club. The subsequent coroner's inquiry found the female driver to be at fault and was fully responsible for the accident. Nevertheless, the fitting of speed limiters was proposed and implemented shorty after the inquiry.

Footnote.
At the end of the coroner's inquiry, it was reported that the cabinet minister shook hands with the tipper truck driver who responded with a tearful apology despite being cleared of any fault in that accident.

The Cabinet minister did not stand for the following General Election and had all but disappeared from public news. I sincerely believe that he was a broken hearted man following his wife's demise. But that's speculation on my part.:(

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are heavy vehicles required to be fitted with speed limiter devices? This was implemented after a horrific accident years ago when the wife of a newly minted cabinet member was killed near the turn into Keppel Yacht Club in Tuas.
(

Thanks for sharing.

jw5

Loyal
Bro scroobal
In my opinion, if there was intent to beat up someone without any regard for the outcome or the consequences, the charge should be similar to a "planned" murder.
But just like in a murder, the charge may be reduced if the person was severely provoked (e.g. physical action initiated by the victim), done in self defence, or due to other mitigating circumstances.
I definitely don't consider a staring incident or a mere exchange of words provocation or mitigating circumstances.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro zeitgeist
Who was the newly minted cabinet member?

Ex Senior Minister of State Peter Chen. Former head honcho of Shell Singapore! From all reports gathered, earmarked for express elevation to the top level. Wong Kan Seng and Mah Boh Tan are just school boys compared to him!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro scroobal
In my opinion, if there was intent to beat up someone without any regard for the outcome or the consequences, the charge should be similar to a "planned" murder.
But just like in a murder, the charge may be reduced if the person was severely provoked (e.g. physical action initiated by the victim), done in self defence, or due to other mitigating circumstances.
I definitely don't consider a staring incident or a mere exchange of words provocation or mitigating circumstances.

I absolutely agree with you on all counts. In fact the law is very clear and does cover when provocation is involved.

If your read today's paper on crime statistics, all types of crime have fallen except those involving violence with property involved. From the write-up, they indicated they are going to give priority to underaged girls having sex and in all cases its consensual and in most cases with boyfriends. How dumb can you going to get. It should not be a crime in the first place. Its a social issues that it best handled by the schools and parents with guidance on imparting values and addressing peer pressure.

By the way, its common knowledge that the Singapore Police Force has the most useless Commissioner since the Force came into being during the colonial days. This guy was one of the rejects of the SAF "wrangler "scheme that old man once revealed inadvertently.

Instead of fighting for blogging rights, up in the sky human rights, this is something our activist can aim meaningfully.

jw5

Loyal
Ex Senior Minister of State Peter Chen. Former head honcho of Shell Singapore! From all reports gathered, earmarked for express elevation to the top level. Wong Kan Seng and Mah Boh Tan are just school boys compared to him!
Ok, thanks bro.
I remember the minister and I now recall the case.

jw5

Loyal
I absolutely agree with you on all counts. In fact the law is very clear and does cover when provocation is involved.

If your read today's paper on crime statistics, all types of crime have fallen except those involving violence with property involved. From the write-up, they indicated they are going to give priority to underaged girls having sex and in all cases its consensual and in most cases with boyfriends. How dumb can you going to get. It should not be a crime in the first place. Its a social issues that it best handled by the schools and parents with guidance on imparting values and addressing peer pressure.

By the way, its common knowledge that the Singapore Police Force has the most useless Commissioner since the Force came into being during the colonial days. This guy was one of the rejects of the SAF "wrangler "scheme that old man once revealed inadvertently.

Instead of fighting for blogging rights, up in the sky human rights, this is something our activist can aim meaningfully.
For those underaged girls who have sex, I can only think that their parents must be really proud of them.
Regarding your thoughts about cases of deaths arising from gangfights, my opinion is that if 2 groups of gangsters decide to go at each other with knives and broken bottles swinging, it's probably not murder. Too bad if the victim was wielding a knife, but just happened to be unlucky or not as skillful as his opponent and ended up dead. A manslaughter charge at best.
But if the gang members set upon an individual or a couple of individuals who were unarmed just because of some staring incidents or exchange of words, the charge should be no different than if there were no gang members involved or no different than for a "planned" murder.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Regarding your thoughts about cases of deaths arising from gangfights, my opinion is that if 2 groups of gangsters decide to go at each other with knives and broken bottles swinging, it's probably not murder. Too bad if the victim was wielding a knife, but just happened to be unlucky or not as skillful as his opponent and ended up dead. A manslaughter charge at best.
But if the gang members set upon an individual or a couple of individuals who were unarmed just because of some staring incidents or exchange of words, the charge should be no different than if there were no gang members involved or no different than for a "planned" murder.

Arggh Hah! this is not between 2 groups or gangclash. In such cases, its straight forward detention under CLTP. This is a group cornering one or two chaps and stabbing him multiple times to death.

The usual scenario is someone starred at one their friends or bumped accidently into someone one or looked at the guys girlfriend. The guy then phones his gang who turn up in numbers and with weapons. This leads to death and the victim or victims are not armed. Lying on the road dead with injuries outside the pub, near the pub or bar or some distance away having been chased. This you will find in the press every now and then.

Can you recall any of them being hanged or going thru a capital offence trial.

This is the issue. Now you know why we have useless press, useless civic groups and NGOs. I am amazed that AG Chambers don't seem to realise that they have been going on a long ride on this. Why do think that this occurs frequently why do you think they label them as street corner gangs and not secret society incidents.

Hopefully when they bring down the number of underaged girls who engage in consensual sex, they might spend sometime handling low priority cases where young lives are lost in such grotesque manner for little rhyme or reason.

jw5

Loyal
Arggh Hah! this is not between 2 groups or gangclash. In such cases, its straight forward detention under CLTP. This is a group cornering one or two chaps and stabbing him multiple times to death.

The usual scenario is someone starred at one their friends or bumped accidently into someone one or looked at the guys girlfriend. The guy then phones his gang who turn up in numbers and with weapons. This leads to death and the victim or victims are not armed. Lying on the road dead with injuries outside the pub, near the pub or bar or some distance away having been chased. This you will find in the press every now and then.

Can you recall any of them being hanged or going thru a capital offence trial.

This is the issue. Now you know why we have useless press, useless civic groups and NGOs. I am amazed that AG Chambers don't seem to realise that they have been going on a long ride on this. Why do think that this occurs frequently why do you think they label them as street corner gangs and not secret society incidents.

Hopefully when they bring down the number of underaged girls who engage in consensual sex, they might spend sometime handling low priority cases where young lives are lost in such grotesque manner for little rhyme or reason.
Agree and get your point.
Beatings by gang members that result in death should be given the most severe penalty possible. If the punishment for murder is death, then this type of gang beatings should also have the same punishment.
But beatings by non gang members, or just a group of spoilt punks that result in death should also be given the most severe punishment.
It's just like a motorist on the street.
If he intends to kill a specific person by knocking him down, it's murder.
If he intends to go around for a joyride and doesn't mind knocking people down in the process and as a result, a pedestrian is knocked down and dies, it's murder as well in my opinion.
But if he intends to go somewhere and was speeding and knocked down a pedestrian thereby causing his death, it's not murder. But the punishment has got to be a jail term and a life time driving ban.

jw5

Loyal
Now that we have discussed in depth about gang killings or deaths arising from group beatings, let's discuss about the death penalty.
What are your thoughts about the death penalty? For drug trafficking? For murder?
Is it the ultimate deterrent?