• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Art of Holding an Inquiry - Viv Balakrishnan Style

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a lot more than meets the eye. LBW obviously does not know the power equation in the SNOC / SCC and stepped right in. Did you ever consider why case was closed in double quick time.

You could see that she was in bad shape. However, I don't know why she apologised on behalf of the coaches, managers and players when she should just apologise for her own conduct.

it simply meant that everyone are to be blamed...not just her.....taichi la...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
it simply meant that everyone are to be blamed...not just her.....taichi la...

Actually its more than that. This inquiry was closed double quick. When you do things like that with no one held accountable or the matter explained , it fuels rumours.

A little bird told me that STTA official/s were running errands for important people not with the STTA and therefore could not handle the sick coach matter. Apparently Miss Lim had no clue that they were running errands and screamed for blood.

Notice that Antony though no longer required by STTA after 3 mths is going somewhere else. Also notice that People outside STTA are running this inquiry and the show.

After Viv's great speech about getting to the bottom of things, the only thing that surfaced is a pair of sneakers , 7 cans of milk powder etc.

Hopefully in future, these "important people" should know that people have trained for many years and if they need a butler or a conceirge, pay for one and not use a tenured staff who is a afraid of his rice bowl to do his bidding.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, I don't know why she apologised on behalf of the coaches, managers and players when she should just apologise for her own conduct.

A decoy? Just like the jet fighters do when evading of heat seeking missiles?

When she screws it up alone, she says she apologises on behalf of so and so. What she means is that she did not screw up but others did.

So when it is glamour time, she takes the front seat.

Do you have any information more than we know when you said that there is more than meets the eye. Care to share? If you can, thanks.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can tell this mixed bred vivian was quick to solve LBW issue. If the problems came from the poor and needy, he will also be quick in sarcasm, Lily neo was so pissed with him for saying that the poor need money to eat in foodcourt or restaurant.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can tell this mixed bred vivian was quick to solve LBW issue. If the problems came from the poor and needy, he will also be quick in sarcasm, Lily neo was so pissed with him for saying that the poor need money to eat in foodcourt or restaurant.

this guy is born with silver spoon, will never understand whats it like

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
when vivian snake speaks, even Wong SIFU shrudder..:eek:

he is THE definition of HYPOCRITE.. :mad:

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually its more than that. This inquiry was closed double quick. When you do things like that with no one held accountable or the matter explained , it fuels rumours.

A little bird told me that STTA official/s were running errands for important people not with the STTA and therefore could not handle the sick coach matter. Apparently Miss Lim had no clue that they were running errands and screamed for blood.

Notice that Antony though no longer required by STTA after 3 mths is going somewhere else. Also notice that People outside STTA are running this inquiry and the show.

After Viv's great speech about getting to the bottom of things, the only thing that surfaced is a pair of sneakers , 7 cans of milk powder etc.

Hopefully in future, these "important people" should know that people have trained for many years and if they need a butler or a conceirge, pay for one and not use a tenured staff who is a afraid of his rice bowl to do his bidding.

on why lbw appologise for everyone..its just meant everyone is to be blamed....nothing more..as for what u wrote...maybe irrelvant specific to my reply...anywhere..there is no ms LIM...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you have any information more than we know when you said that there is more than meets the eye. Care to share? If you can, thanks.
After what Viv B had said in Beijing about a through inquiry and the unexpected immediate closure of this episode with no one held accountable and nothing to be released to the public, I knew that some thing else had gone wrong.

Heard that party that caused the issue is not in STTA. Ms Lee did not know that and STTA officials who had responsibility for aranging the managers did not reveal why they were occupied. Apparently Viv B also did not know that when he called for an inquiry.

Interestingly Ms Lee seemed to have saved the day for the govt by her outburst. People have forgotten that the actual issue is the missing coach and why 2 month old Singapore selected Sportman of the year was not told that he would not have a coach. This is despite the Head Coach telling the night before that he will be watching his game.

So, when Ms Lee apologised, the power behind knew that Singaporeans will swallow it hook, line a sinker - which they did. They seemed to have forgotten that no has explained the missing coach, and no one has sought an explanation. Which is the main issue. Look at Ser Luck comment about improving the process and not finding fault.

Bottom line - Someone had STTA officials running errands instead of engaging a butler or conceirge. The table tennis game became secondary.

Of course the biggest question is why replace the President of STTA who held it for 19 years , built the team, 2 mths before the olympics with someone who had no links to the organisation.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
on why lbw appologise for everyone..its just meant everyone is to be blamed....nothing more..as for what u wrote...maybe irrelvant specific to my reply...anywhere..there is no ms LIM...
sorry its Ms Lee. I don't think you got the message. SnrCitizen did. see my reply to him.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
sorry its Ms Lee. I don't think you got the message. SnrCitizen did. see my reply to him.

I got ur message..its not relevant to my reply..I had reply to the posting on why LBW appologised on behalf of everyone when it shld be just for herself..she simply meant that everyone in STTA is responsible and not just her...as for your conspiracy theory abt running errand and little bird maybe applies to thethread but definitely not relevant to my reply directed at a specific matter....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got ur message..its not relevant to my reply..I had reply to the posting on why LBW appologised on behalf of everyone when it shld be just for herself..she simply meant that everyone in STTA is responsible and not just her...as for your conspiracy theory abt running errand and little bird maybe applies to thethread but definitely not relevant to my reply directed at a specific matter....
I was replying to your "tai Chi" comment. Never mind, its what the Govt was hoping would be the answer - Lee Bee Wah wearing the blame instead of the real issue.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
LBW is the one that started all this,so she should apologise lor.
when the future star of the new generation spoke,they will have to listen and accept lor.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
LBW is the one that started all this,so she should apologise lor.
when the future star of the new generation spoke,they will have to listen and accept lor.

There are 2 issues.

1) Lee Bee Wah for being unprofessional. Does not know how to handle a situation. She should go.

2) What happenned on that day, where were the coaches, where was the manager - all not answered. This is the main and central issue. Most Singaporeans keep thinking that it is Lee Bee Wah, so the govt gave them a reply to that but nothing on the fiasco itself. Why pay a guy 4 years salary, incur expenses all paid for by taxpayers and then leave him alone.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bottom line - Someone had STTA officials running errands instead of engaging a butler or conceirge. The table tennis game became secondary.

Of course the biggest question is why replace the President of STTA who held it for 19 years , built the team, 2 mths before the olympics with someone who had no links to the organisation.

So she was dumb enough to inadvertently let herself be the scapegoat for something else more sinister.

Thanks very much for the information. Looks like your clarification of the real situation poses more questions than what I initially envisioned as just an inept LBW.:smile:

If you do learn more details, please let us know. That is, if you can. Thank you.

NanjingJT

This is what Little Speck has to say -

Apology
For ping pong mess-up
We should accept it, but continue to speak out against elected officials who behave like ‘mini-Lee Kuan Yews without his achievements'. Opinion. By Seah Chiang Nee.
Aug 30, 2008

A little belatedly and reluctantly perhaps, but Singapore’s table tennis executive, Ms Lee Bee Wah, has apologised for her mistake for her harsh action in dealing with the ‘ping pong’ trouble in Beijing.

Press reports said that in a quavering voice, the newly-installed President of the Singapore Table Tennis Association said, “I sincerely apologise.

“It is regretful that this situation happened and turned out the way it did.

“I had made comments which had been misunderstood and had upset some Singaporeans. I sincerely apologise for causing any grievances and any stress.”

Ms Lee was also quoted as saying, “Our action has dampened the celebration mood of our fellow Singaporeans.” (Why use the word ‘our action’, not ‘my action’?)

Diplomatically crafted, it was as good an apology as you’ll ever get from a PAP (ruling People’s Action Party) elected official. It hasn’t had much practice at it.

(Background: Over national TV, Ms Lee summarily sacked the manager of the Singapore Olympic team, Mr. Anthony Lee over the non-appearance of a coach during a crucial single match for men, leading to Singapore’s loss.

(It caused widespread criticism for her public chastisement of Lee and the head coach publicly without an inquiry or given these people a chance to explain).

Had Ms Lee not been a PAP Member of Parliament, her perceived authoritarian action would have stirred less controversy.

These are changing times. With ‘elitism’ and ‘arrogance’ much on the forefront of pet public dislikes, Ms. Lee’s action was like a red flag in front of a snorting bull.

There have been too many instances of the ruling elites – having been in power for so long - treating people condescendingly – even with contempt.

For the PAP getting elected had become too easy throughout the years; many never even had to be subjected to the voting process.

A big complacency either in words or actions has settled in the minds of many of its members, including MPs and, at times, even ministers.

Some have become arrogant without any real track record behaving like people who have.

Singapore’s top-most civil servant now retired, Mr. Ngiam Dong Dow, lamented seeing these people behaving like “mini-Lee Kuan Yews but without his achievements.”

Ms Lee’s mistake may or may not qualify as an example, depending on how strictly one judges her.

But now that she has apologised, Singaporeans - as well as officials, players and coaches - should accept it on the principle that people do make mistakes. Ms. Lee has not gone unscathed for her's.

And when a person owns up, says ‘sorry’ and works to make amends, then it is gracious for us to forgive that person. We'd probably expect the same from others when we commit a mistake outselves.

Whether or not it will have long term repercussion on her political career is less certain. It will depend on her party bosses.

Knowing that the Internet has a long memory (it be certain to revive it during election campaigning), the party may withdraw her as a candidate at least in PM Lee Hsien Loong's Ang Moh Kio group constituency, if they believe she could cost them too dearly in votes.

That's the way of politics.

By Seah Chiang Nee

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
LBW did not apologize.....

She just merely stated her apologies !

This means that she is saying,
"If you fellas think that I am wrong, Ok lor, I am wrong lor, Sorry lor !!!"
"If you fellas think I am too harsh, Sorry lor !!!"
"If you fellas think I have offended you, Sorry lor !!!"
"If you fellas think I have hurt you because of my remarks, Sorry lor !!!"
"If you fellas think I have spoilt the fun, Sorry lor !!!"

"But hor, I am not apologizing, OK ? YOU MORONS !!"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
So she was dumb enough to inadvertently let herself be the scapegoat for something else more sinister.

Thanks very much for the information. Looks like your clarification of the real situation poses more questions than what I initially envisioned as just an inept LBW.:smile:

If you do learn more details, please let us know. That is, if you can. Thank you.
Sadly she became a pawn and sadly she set herself up. Viv B must be a real dill to walk into this after promising an inquiry. It reflects very badly on the govt and coming after the spiked inquiry in the Mas Selamat affair.

Very different from Goh Chok Tong who made sure that the HPL affair does not stick to him.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taken from Feed Me To The Fish

Saturday, August 30, 2008
Graciousness Under Pain

Let's be gracious enough to admit our mistakes.

Let's be gracious enough to forgive.

Let's be gracious enough to "move on".

If a picture paints a thousand words, this picture shows graciousness under pain.

As being 'gracious' was preached by the PM on National Day Rally 2008, what better way to show it than to lead by example.

The press conference to end the self-inflicted crisis was meant to be a finale to the Ping Ping Fiasco. Looking at their sad serious faces and body language, I think it pains them to do what they had to do at the show. For the sake of all in SSC and STTA, I hope there's no reason for an encore to their discomfort.

I'm happy to note that Dr Balakrishnan was gracious enough to mention the contribution of the past president, Mr Choo Wee Kang

I still wonder why the change of STTA president just before the Beijing Olympics?

As premeditated purchase of a silver medal is no cause for celebration for me, I hope that those who celebrate will continue to party to enjoy themselves.

If we can "move on" after Mas Selamat Jalan, "moving on" after PPF (ping pong fiasco)
is a piece of cake!

feedmetothefish

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taken from Simply Inconceivable

Saturday, August 30, 2008
Lee Bee Wah remains defiant and instead insults the intelligence of all Singaporeans

"I had made comments which had been misunderstood and had upset some Singaporeans. I sincerely apologise for causing any grievances and any stress."
- Lee Bee Wah

“I’m quite puzzled as to how a decision like that can be made by the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) president, who has been in office for just over a month.”
- Mr Ng Ser Miang

So now our IOC representative Ng Ser Miang misunderstood her too? This is simply ridiculous.

Instead of apologizing for the incident, Lee Bee Wah has continuously attempted to explain herself in a manner that insults the intelligence of all Singaporeans. This time, she has implied that Singaporeans are at fault for having "misunderstood" her, a blatant attempt to direct the blame away from herself. The fact that she is a member of the PAP only serves to highlight the ingrained mindset of self-righteousness that we so often see in the government.

To be certain, Lee Bee Wah's comments were pretty direct, and I do not see how anyone has misconstrued them.

In response to Gao Ning's 4-0 loss in the Olympics, Lee Bee Wah said that action would be taken against those who “neglected their duties”, clearly referring to the team manager Anthony Lee. Instead of informing Anthony Lee of her displeasure and her decision to "take action" against him, Lee Bee Wah rode roughshod over his feelings and over any concept of professionalism, going directly to the media instead.

It was pretty clear from the outset that Lee Bee Wah had intended to sack Anthony Lee, and there is plenty of evidence to support this. Not only were her initial statements quite clear about her intentions, but the fact that Gao Ning himself blamed the coach too does attest to the possibility that Lee Bee Wah acted on his claims.

On top of that, Lee Bee Wah's subsequent explanations have been insufficient. She claims that "I have a new team, and will have a new CEO and technical director. It is best that the manager is chosen by them. Antony is welcome to apply for the position when we ask for applications.” insinuating that Antony was chosen by an old CEO and technical director who could have make a wrong decision. Ultimately, the decision to ask for new applicants is the same as saying that the current team manager Anthony Lee is not good enough since why bother if Anthony Lee is good enough? Especially if we consider that these applications would have to be based on factors such as rapport with the team, and credentials of which Singapore's silver medal should provide enough for.

Lee Bee Wah's statement that we have misunderstood her despite her obvious intentions to sack Anthony Lee portrays her blatant lack of remorse and does not just insult Singaporeans like you and me and our respected Ng Ser Miang, it also trivalises the issue as a misunderstanding and fails to do justice for the trauma Anthony Lee had to face.

This is treason.

When she screws it up alone, she says she apologises on behalf of so and so. What she means is that she did not screw up but others did.

So when it is glamour time, she takes the front seat.