• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 2012-13 Basketball Season Is Here

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jazz send Warriors to 6th straight loss, 115-101

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) Nearly two months on, Utah Jazz players hadn't forgotten the embarrassing double-digit loss they suffered at home to Golden State.

They evened the score Tuesday night with a 115-101 victory over the Warriors.

"Everyone kept saying, "We owed them,''' guard Paul Foye said of a spirited Monday night practice session. "Tonight we came out and had a different swag about us. . We wanted to show them they're not going to walk over us this time.''

Al Jefferson scored 24 points, Gordon Hayward added 17 in his return from a shoulder injury and the Jazz never trailed in extending the Warriors' losing streak to six games.

Seven Jazz players scored in double figures and Utah got 47 points from its reserves.

Utah also made 10 of 21 3-pointers, including three by Foye, who finished with 15 points.

The Jazz viewed the win as a double-victory considering they entered the night with as many wins but two more losses than the Warriors. Golden State (30-23) remains percentage points ahead of the Jazz (31-24) for sixth place in the Western Conference playoff race. The teams play once more, in April.

The Warriors were hoping the All-Star break would refresh them after they dropped five straight to ruin a strong start to the season.

Despite what coach Mark Jackson said was a sharp practice the night before, the Warriors had the same defensive struggles during a skid that saw them allow opponents 118 points a game on 49 percent shooting and 43 percent from 3-point range.

"It is another uncharacteristic performance by us,'' Jackson said. "We have to find ourselves.''

He insisted it wasn't time to give up.

"I am not going to jump off this ship,'' Jackson said. "I believe in my guys . but we have to find five guys on the floor that are going to scratch, claw and compete because history tells me that the only way out of a funk like this is working our way out of it.''

Stephen Curry led Golden State with 29 points, Jarrett Jack had 19 off the bench and David Lee contributed 18 on 9-of-13 shooting. Center Andrew Bogut was held scoreless on 0-of-4 shooting in 15 minutes.

Lee's runner and Curry's fourth 3-pointer pulled the Warriors within 93-87 with 9:47 remaining.

That's as close as they would get.

Paul Millsap's turnaround jumper ignited a 6-0 Utah run and the Jazz held the Warriors to 30 percent shooting in the fourth.

Utah has won three straight and seven of its last 10.

The Jazz got a big lift Tuesday from the return of Hayward. Their playmaker had missed the past 10 games with a right shoulder injury.

Hayward hardly looked rusty, hitting 5 of 9 shots, including a pair of 3-pointers, to finish with 17 points in 25 minutes off the bench.

It didn't take long for his right shoulder to get a test.

He checked into the game with 4:35 remaining in the first quarter to loud applause. Two minutes later, he drove the lane and took a shot to the same shoulder from Andris Biedrins.

"It was good as far as realizing it would be fine if I took a hit,'' said Hayward, who has been Utah's third-leading scorer this season at 13.5 points a game. "It stung a little bit. But I stepped up and knocked down two free throws and moved on from there.''

Jefferson said the Jazz now just need to get starting point Mo Williams back after he had thumb surgery in early January.

"Then I just think we keep rolling,'' Jefferson said.

The question is whether Jefferson and Millsap will be around to see the playoff run play out.

Both are unrestricted free agents after this season and have been the subject of trade rumors heading into Thursday's deadline.

"My name has been in trade rumors ever since my second year in Boston when they were trying to trade me for Allen Iverson,'' Jefferson said. "That was the rumor. Nothing happened then. Nothing ever happens. This year is going to be no different for me as far as focus. I will continue to stay focused and do my job.''

Millsap made 4 of 4 from the line and also grabbed nine rebounds.

If Tuesday was his last game in a Jazz uniform, he wasn't distracted.

"Our team is good that we have now,'' he said. "These are rumors. That's what rumors are. Who knows who started them? Our job is to get out there and win games no matter who's here.''

NOTES: Utah assistant Sidney Lowe was on the Jazz bench, coaching his first game since being arrested over the weekend in North Carolina for failing to file his state income tax returns for 2009, 2010, 2011. The team is referring all legal questions to Lowe's attorney, but coach Tyrone Corbin said,'' We support him wholeheartedly. He understands and has taken responsibility for where he is in it. We'll support him and move on.'' ... Corbin wouldn't talk specifics about Thursday's trade deadline, but said, "I love everybody on this team. Love what these guys bring, love how they stayed focused and try to get better. ... These are Utah Jazz kind of guys.''

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Parker's double-double leads Spurs past Kings

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) Tony Parker might have been concerned about a letdown coming off the All-Star break, but the San Antonio Spurs' veteran guard showed no signs of rust.

Parker had 30 points and 11 assists to lead San Antonio to a 108-102 victory over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night, giving the Spurs their 15th win in their last 16 games.

Parker started the game strong and also helped the Spurs finish as well, getting eight points in the fourth, including a crucial basket to thwart the Kings' comeback.

Parker made 10 of 20 shots, hit 10 of 12 free throws, and also added three steals. However, he did commit seven of the Spurs' 17 turnovers.

"He (Parker) picked up where he left off before the All-Star break,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's having an unbelievable year. He just keeps doing it.''

Parker confounded the Kings throughout, knifing through the defense in getting to the basket and drawing fouls, flipping up his trademark tear drop from close range, making jumpers, and finding open teammates.

"I just wanted to be aggressive, that's what I've been trying to do all year long,'' Parker said. "The first game back after the All-Star break is always tough. We're going to have some turnovers, some missed shots, and stuff like that. Overall, it's a big win because if you win on the road it's sweet. I'll take it.''

What Parker and the Spurs will also take is more games like this from Danny Green, who scored 21 points, including 5-for-8 shooting on 3-pointers. Parker drove the lane several times and found Green fairly open for several 3-pointers from the corner.

"Games like this are what Tony does. We expect nothing less,'' Green said. "It was just Tony being Tony.''

It's a difficult chore for a struggling team like the Kings to stop the Spurs. And right now it's difficult for any team to stop San Antonio. The Spurs own the top overall record in the NBA (43-12) as well as the best road mark (21-10).

Kawhi Leonard added 15 points and Manu Ginobili 12 as San Antonio won at Sacramento for the 10 straight time.

Brois Diaw had 10 points and Tim Duncan added nine points and 14 rebounds for the Spurs.

"We know they are probably one of the best teams in the league,'' Kings center DeMarcus Cousins said. "They're playing team basketball, that's why they're as good as they are.''

Isaiah Thomas scored 22 points for the Kings, who have dropped three straight. Tyreke Evans had 20 points, Marcus Thornton added 16, and Jason Thompson and Cousins had 11 each.

The Spurs came out strong in the opening quarter, showing no effects of the layoff during the All-Star break. They established a double-digit lead on numerous occasions in winning their third straight.

"We just didn't make shots. The whole first half we shot 30 percent,'' Thomas said. "That's the biggest thing. When you don't make shots it makes everything else look bad.''

The Kings shot much better in the second half and made the game a little tense for the Spurs in the closing minutes. Thornton made back-to-back 3s and followed with a fast-break layup, pulling the Kings to 103-100 with 55.9 seconds to go.

However, Parker drove the lane for a layup against Cousins with 19.7 seconds remaining and Ginobili made a free throw 8 seconds later to put the Spurs up by six points.

"I kind of ended up in the situation (with Parker) and he got the best of the situation,'' Cousins said.

San Antonio has four games remaining on its season-high nine-game road trip then it will play 17 of its final 24 at home. They return after playing Sunday in Phoenix.

The most intriguing aspect regarding the underperforming Kings this season is off the court, where the uncertainty of the team's future lingers.

Mayor Kevin Johnson is trying to prevent the Kings from moving to Seattle and wants to put together a financial plan by late next week. Whether the Kings remain in Sacramento will likely be determined during the NBA's owners meeting April 17-18.

A Seattle-based group of investors, headed by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, has already reached an agreement with the Maloof family to buy 65 percent of the franchise.

On Tuesday night, the Sacramento City Council voted to lend its support to keeping the Kings in town and helping to build a new downtown arena.

A pair of jumpers by Thompson pulled the Kings to within 85-81 early in the fourth. But Green quickly hit a 3 and Parker added consecutive baskets, giving the Spurs a 92-91 advantage.

Parker continued to penetrate the Kings' defense in the third quarter when he scored nine points. Green was also effective, making two 3-pointers and scoring eight points to help San Antonio take an 83-74 lead into the fourth.

The Kings got going offensively in the third quarter after shooting just over 28 percent in the first half. Both Evans and Cousins scored nine points and Thomas had eight.

Parker had 13 points and six assists and Leonard had 12 points in the opening half for the Spurs, who led 50-41 at halftime.

NOTES: Kings missed 18 of 22 shots in the first quarter and trailed 28-19. ... Stephen Jackson was not with the Kings for personal reasons. ... The Kings play the next five games on the road where they are 5-23 this season. The trip concludes March 1 game at San Antonio. ... The Spurs shot 10 of 30 on 3s.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Johnson's OT buzzer-beater lifts Nets past Bucks

NEW YORK (AP) Joe Johnson came through twice with big shots and helped the Brooklyn Nets end a long losing streak to the Milwaukee Bucks.

Johnson hit a tying 3-pointer in the closing seconds of the fourth quarter and then his buzzer-beating jumper at the end of overtime lifted the Nets to a 113-111 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday night.

"It's an unbelievable feeling,'' said Johnson, who finished with 24 points. "Regardless of the situation, whether it's regular season or playoffs, it's always a great feeling. And, just to see everybody kind of explode with excitement is probably the best feeling.''

Brook Lopez and Deron Williams added 19 points each as the Nets snapped a 13-game skid against the Bucks dating back to March 30, 2009.

"The first game after (the All-Star break) is usually pretty sloppy,'' Williams said. "For us to get a win against a team that we lost 13 straight against is a good win for us.''

The Nets were aware of their long losing streak but insist they weren't thinking about it during the game.

"(Coach P.J. Carlesimo) mentioned the streak before the game, but I don't think anybody took that out there with that on their mind,'' Brooklyn's Gerald Wallace said. "It wasn't anything about their streak. It was about us as team. It shows the fight we have.''

Brandon Jennings scored 34 points to lead the Bucks. Ersan Ilyasova had 21 points, Monta Ellis added 18 and Larry Sanders 14.

Luc Mbah a Moute had given the Bucks a 111-108 lead with 2:58 left in overtime. The Nets tied the game on Keith Bogans' 3-pointer with 1:02 left.

Jennings, who scored 23 points after halftime, saw his short jumper go in and out with 15 to go. After a Nets timeout, Johnson was intentionally fouled by Mbah a Moute with 5 seconds left. The Nets inbounded again and Johnson won the game with his foul line jumper over Mbah A Moute.

"Joe Johnson makes big shots,'' Bucks coach Jim Boylan said. "It wasn't a shock that Brooklyn went to him. We knew that's where they'd be looking. Luc played him tough and Joe just made a great shot.''

Johnson sent the game into overtime with a 3-pointer with 1.3 seconds left in regulation.

"Joe has been doing this his whole career,'' Carlesimo said. "The other guys did a good job with the execution and putting us in a good position, particularly the 3 at the end of regulation.''

The Bucks trailed 61-51 at halftime, but outscored the Nets 30-19 in the third quarter to take an 81-80 lead.

Ekpe Udoh gave Milwaukee its biggest lead, 87-82, with 9:57 left in the game. However, Brooklyn's 10-4 run capped by a long jumper from Andre Blatche gave the Nets a 92-91 lead with 6:24 left.

Blatche scored 10 of his 14 points in the fourth quarter.

Sanders' tip-in of Jennings' missed layup attempt gave the Bucks a 103-102 lead with 10 seconds left in regulation. After Williams was called for an offensive foul with 7 seconds left, Jennings was fouled and made both free throws.

That set up Johnson's tying 3.

The Nets took a 56-41 lead - their largest of the game - on Lopez's jumper with 2:29 left in the first half.

The Nets led 31-24 after the first quarter, having made 7 of 8 free throws while the Bucks didn't attempt any.

"We've got to turn it on right from the very beginning,'' Boylan said. "We're not Oklahoma City or Miami or something like that. We've got to play hard for 48 minutes.''

C.J. Watson added 11 points for Brooklyn.

NOTES: The Nets had lost seven straight at home to the Bucks. Their last victory on their home floor came on Feb. 3, 2009, by a score of 99-85. ... The Nets are 5-0 in overtime this season and are on a NBA-best 10-game winning streak in overtime games. ... The Bucks are now 27-17 all-time in games immediately following the All-Star break. ... The Nets improved to 18-8 under Carlesimo, the second-best start under any of their previous 21 coaches. Lawrence Frank's team started 19-6 in 2003-04.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lakers beat Celtics 113-99 on emotional night

LOS ANGELES (AP) Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss loved to win. He especially relished beating the Boston Celtics.

Playing their first game since Buss died, the Lakers earned an emotional 113-99 victory over their greatest rivals on Wednesday night.

Dwight Howard had 24 points and 12 rebounds, Kobe Bryant added 16 points, Steve Nash and Earl Clark had 14 apiece, and Metta World Peace 12 in a game that surely would have delighted Buss.

"It was very fitting,'' Bryant said. "You look at all the trophies, parades and support this team has - that all came from one man. The impact is a global one.''

The Lakers won their most recent NBA championship - and last under Buss - in 2010, beating the Celtics 4-3 in the finals. Buss died Monday at 80 after an 18-month struggle with cancer that had forced him to watch his team's games on TV or an iPad instead of from his suite above the Staples Center court.

His empty seat was illuminated and "R.I.P. Dr. Buss'' was written on the board inside the Lakers locker room.

"We got to continue to carry on what he built,'' Bryant said.

Paul Pierce scored 26 points for the Celtics, who fell to 8-17 on the road and lost their third in a row away from home. Courtney Lee added 20 points and Kevin Garnett had 12 on 6-of-14 shooting.

"We've been in that situation with Red Auerbach, and so many other emotional games - teams are very dangerous, especially in their home building,'' Pierce said. "You take a lot of pride in protecting that and going out and getting that first win. You could see it in their eyes. I saw it in Kobe's eyes. He was really emotional coming out and he wanted this game bad. We understood that.''

Howard's performance in the Lakers' first game since the All-Star break came on the eve of the NBA trade deadline. He has been the subject of rumors, but general manager Mitch Kupchak said this week that Howard wouldn't be going anywhere.

"I was thinking about it all day, getting this win for Dr. Buss,'' Howard said. "We came out with a lot of energy, a lot of intensity. We have to keep working every day in practice to get better and hopefully this season can happen for us.''

Howard was among seven Lakers in double figures on a night when they shot 51 percent, dominated the paint 54-30 and were 22 of 31 from the free throw line for one of the most complete games they've played in months.

"We looked like a team,'' Nash said. "We moved bodies and moved the ball and made it tough on their defense. It gives us a little more of an identity.''

Clark had a career-high 16 rebounds, and Antawn Jamison added 15 points off the bench for Los Angeles.

The Lakers improved to 26-29 and gained a split in the season series, having avenged a 116-95 loss to the Celtics on Feb. 7 when they trailed by 32 points.

"We certainly wanted to return the favor,'' Bryant said.

Boston trailed by nine at the end of the first two quarters before the Lakers opened up a 75-57 lead early in the third. Typical of their balanced scoring throughout the game, World Peace, Bryant, Nash, Howard and Clark each contributed baskets in the 11-2 run.

Nash had seven assists, giving him 10,144 while passing Magic Johnson for sole possession of fourth place on the career list. He said he and Howard have talked about trying to work more as a tandem.

"He has to find ways to free me up and therefore, I am going to find ways to free him up,'' Nash said. "It is still a work in progress, but the last two games before the break he really committed into running pick-and-rolls, setting good screens, rolling hard and you saw either me free for jump shots or him going down the paint for fouls or finishes.''

The Lakers shot 51 percent in the first half and had four players in double figures, helping them to a 64-55 lead. Howard was energetic in scoring 15 points and setting screens reminiscent of his days with Orlando. Bryant had 14 points, Nash 12 and World Peace 10.

"I thought he was playing through emotion,'' Garnett said about Bryant. "You could hear the emotion in his voice.''

Pierce carried the Celtics with 23 points on 9-of-15 shooting in the half, when they shot 49 percent. He said he hadn't talked to general manager Danny Ainge about the trade rumors involving him.

"I'm sure if something comes up, he'll probably call me,'' Pierce said. "I can't worry about that. I've got a job to do and they've got to do what's best for the franchise. I've always understood that this is just a business.''

Buss was remembered in a pregame video tribute featuring photos of him as a child all the way through him hoisting trophies marking the team's 10 NBA championships won under his ownership. Bryant fittingly spoke on behalf of the Lakers' players, having been acquired by the Lakers as a 17-year-old.

"He was a brilliant, incredible owner but an even better person,'' Bryant said. "His innovation transcended the game and we are all, all spoiled by his vision and his drive to win year after year after year.''

There was a moment of silence in the darkened arena before the crowd broke up the quiet with chants of "Jerry, Jerry.''

"It was very emotional and very nice,'' Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said, noting the crowd's energy. "You couldn't help but feel it and I think the players felt it, also.''

A memorial service for invited guests will be held Thursday at Nokia Theatre across the street from Staples Center. Buss will be buried in a private service on Friday.

NOTES: Lakers F Pau Gasol said he hopes to get off his crutches soon and return before the end of the regular season. He had surgery on his right foot after injuring it on Feb. 5. ... The Celtics signed free agent G-F Terrence Williams to a 10-day contract on Wednesday. He had been playing with Guangdong in the Chinese league, averaging 17.9 points, 3.4 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 29 games. ... Jeanie Buss accepted condolences on her father's passing from numerous well-wishers stopping by her seat before the game. ... Jack Nicholson and Dyan Cannon, longtime Lakers fans dating to the team's days at the Forum in Inglewood, were on hand.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Harden scores 46, Rockets rally past Thunder

HOUSTON (AP) James Harden finally beat his former team on Wednesday night.

It took the best game of his career to get it done.

Harden scored a career-high 46 points and Jeremy Lin added 29 as the Houston Rockets mounted a furious fourth-quarter comeback for a 122-119 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"I just told the guys on the court that we've got to do whatever it takes, we've got to get some stops together and make some shots,'' Harden said. "It's not going to be easy, they're a very good team. But we got some stops at the right time and guys made good shots.''

Houston was down by 14 points with about seven minutes left. The Rockets used a 21-4 run to erase the deficit and take a 114-111 lead with 1:46 remaining. Harden stepped back under heavy pressure from Serge Ibaka to sink a 3 to tie it, before Lin connected on one seconds later to give the Rockets their first lead of the second half.

Harden, traded from Oklahoma City to Houston before the season, made a bucket before Ibaka made two free throws. Then came another 3 by Lin to extend the lead to 119-113.

A 3-pointer by Russell Westbrook got Oklahoma City within three points, but Lin made one of two free throws to secure the win.

It was Houston's first win this season over the Thunder, who won both previous meetings, including a 30-point win in the last matchup. The loss extended Oklahoma City's skid to three games.

"He's a phenomenal offensive force,'' Houston coach Kevin McHale said of Harden. "He can drive it. He's got the ability to shoot it ... to beat you off the bounce. I think he's almost unguardable off the catch.''

Kevin Durant summed up the fourth quarter succinctly.

"They got hot, we got cold,'' Durant said. "They played defense, we didn't.''

Thabo Sefolosha led the Thunder with 28 points and had six 3-pointers, both career highs. His previous career high was 22, which he reached twice, most recently in 2008.

Westbrook also scored 28 points and added 10 rebounds and eight assists. Kevin Durant had 16 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists for his second career triple-double.

Harden had struggled in the two previous games against his former team. He averaged 21 points in those games, but went only 9 for 33 from the field and made just four 3-pointers.

On Wednesday, Harden was 11 of 12 from the free throw line, made a career-best seven 3-pointers, had eight rebounds and six assists.

"He hit some tough shots,'' Durant said. "That's what great players do. He rode them to victory. He passed the ball well, he shot the ball well.''

Thunder coach Scott Brooks didn't want to make too much out of Harden beating his former team.

"He wanted to win the game, just like we wanted to beat him and their team,'' Brooks said. "It was about us against them, not James against us or us against James.''

Lin grabbed a steal from Westbrook and dished to Harden, who made a shot from beyond halfcourt at the third-quarter buzzer to cut Oklahoma City's lead to 92-87 entering the fourth.

The Thunder then extended the lead to 107-93 after Kevin Martin and Sefolosha hit back-to-back 3-pointers before Houston rallied.

Lin raved about Harden's performance.

"If he is not up for MVP consideration, I don't know what else he needs to do,'' Lin said. "He made every single big play down the stretch, and even the shots that I was able to have, they were created because of him.''

Oklahoma City was up by seven points midway through the third quarter when Chandler Parsons scored six points in less than a minute to get Houston within 73-72. He made a pair of free throws before adding consecutive dunks. On the first one, Carlos Delfino stole the ball from Durant and passed to Parsons for the dunk. Lin stepped in front of a pass from Ibaka a few seconds later and found Parsons alone for the two-handed slam.

Oklahoma City was up by eight points with about 1 1/2 minutes left in the first half when Lin was given a technical for arguing a call. Durant made the free throw on the technical to put Oklahoma City's lead at 60-51.

Harden took over after that, scoring all of Houston's points in a 6-2 run to end the quarter and cut the lead to 62-57 at halftime.

Harden made four 3-pointers early to help Houston build a 34-22 lead in the first quarter. Oklahoma City scored seven straight points after that, before Harden added a pair of free throws to lead the Rockets up 36-29 at the end of the first quarter.

"I hadn't made four 3s all season in one game,'' Harden said. "I took some extra shots last night, that kind of helped me out with my confidence a little bit, just to get it going early - not trying to force it, but get my teammates involved and everything else was going to open up.''

Parsons was helped off the court and into the locker room after twisting his right ankle near the end of the third quarter.

He returned with about 6 1/2 minutes left in the game.

NOTES: The Rockets reached agreements on two trades that will send Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich and Toney Douglas to Sacramento and Marcus Morris to Phoenix, a person familiar with the situation said Wednesday. The Rockets will receive Thomas Robinson, the No. 5 pick in last year's draft, Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt from the Kings, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced and was still pending league approval. ... Thunder center Kendrick Perkins missed Wednesday's game with a sprained right knee. ... Wednesday was Houston's ninth double-digit comeback win this season.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pacers rout Knicks, pull closer to second in East

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) The Indiana Pacers looked ready for the playoffs. The New York Knicks looked like they wanted a longer All-Star break.

Paul George scored 27 points and the Pacers powered their way closer to the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference by beating the Knicks 125-91 on Wednesday night.

"We were focused, since day one coming back,'' George said. "I think we really showed it tonight.''

David West had 18 points and nine rebounds, and Lance Stephenson added 14 points for Indiana (33-21), which pulled within a half-game of the Knicks for second place in the East.

The Pacers shot 53 percent from the field, scored a season-high point total and had a season-best 28 assists against the Atlantic Division leaders. It was Indiana's largest margin of victory this season and New York's worst loss.

"We didn't show up,'' Knicks coach Mike Woodson said. "They whipped our (expletive) from beginning to end. It was nothing pretty about tonight's game. It's unacceptable. I mean, we didn't compete. That's on all of us.''

Tyson Chandler led New York (32-19) with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Carmelo Anthony, the league's No. 2 scorer, finished with 15 points on 7-for-21 shooting.

George, fresh off a strong performance in his first All-Star Game appearance, made 11 of 19 shots, grabbed eight rebounds and played solid defense against Anthony.

Because of the blowout, Pacers coach Frank Vogel tried to downplay it afterward.

"We have to understand it's just one win,'' Vogel said. "The Knicks didn't have it tonight. Every team in the league has nights like this.''

The Knicks didn't just play poorly, they lost their cool. New York was called for three individual technical fouls and a flagrant foul, and J.R. Smith was ejected.

Anthony appeared to be trying to send George a message early in the game, using his strength to overpower the more slender George near the basket. But George remained calm, played his game and made it his night.

Chandler, the only Knicks starter who played well, was frustrated the entire game as the Pacers hammered him with the physical style that has helped them lead the league in scoring defense.

"I think we got under their skin a little bit, but we can only control what's in this locker room and I think we came out with an edge tonight,'' George said.

Indiana held the Knicks to 34 percent shooting, and New York was shooting just under 30 percent after three quarters.

"We man up and hold each other accountable each possession, and then when things do go wrong, your teammate has your back,'' Indiana point guard George Hill said. "We have a special team and a special group where 1 through 5, no matter if it's our starters or our bench, everybody can guard their man. You have to tip your hat to having such great defensive players on this team.''

The Pacers led 37-21 in the second quarter when Amare Stoudemire picked up his third foul and was called for a technical.

As Indiana's lead grew, the Knicks unraveled. Kurt Thomas committed four fouls in six minutes, in the second quarter, then argued with fans when he went to the bench. Raymond Felton was called for a flagrant foul for elbowing Jeff Pendergraph.

Smith and Stephenson were jawing for much of the final minute of the first half, and they were called for double-technicals right after the halftime buzzer.

Indiana shot 60 percent from the field and led 74-44 at the break. George led the Pacers with 20 points in the first half, including a dynamic two-handed jam through traffic with 21 seconds left in the second quarter. Indiana's bench scored 27 points before the break and the Pacers made 23 of 29 free throws in the first half.

"You can't give up 44 points in the second quarter, that's unacceptable,'' Chandler said. "When you give up 74 points in the first half to a team that doesn't even score that much, you're asking for a loss.''

New York continued to fall apart in the second half. Smith was ejected in the third quarter, and the Pacers hit the 100-point mark with just over two minutes left in the third quarter. Indiana's largest lead was 39 points.

"We've got to get it together if we want to accomplish the things that we've talked about,'' Chandler said. "We've got to play a lot better than this. When you get beat like this, it's everybody from the top down.''

Notes: Indiana forward Danny Granger is close to a return. The former All-Star has missed the season with a sore left knee. Vogel said he would bring Granger back slowly and as a reserve. ... The Pacers shot 61.1 percent in the first quarter and led 30-18. ... Indiana center Roy Hibbert fouled out with 8:18 remaining. He finished with eight points and four rebounds. ... Indiana committed 21 turnovers. ... Indiana improved to 22-5 at home.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
James scores 26, Heat beat Bulls 86-67

CHICAGO (AP) Just in case the message isn't getting through, the Miami Heat are more than happy to repeat it. The championship still is in their hands and good luck trying to pry it away.

The Heat won their season-high ninth straight Thursday night with an 86-67 win over the Chicago Bulls behind LeBron James' 26 points, and supplied more evidence that they're ready to put away the rest of the Eastern Conference.

More important, they're looking like a team that's poised to defend their championship.

"We all had a vision of how this team was going to really operate together, but there is no limit,'' Chris Bosh said. "We can continue to get better. We can continue to play better together. Our defense can continue to improve. If we want to win in the postseason, it's going to have to.''

They sure are looking good at the moment. They blew out Oklahoma City on the road before the All-Star break and followed it up with a win at Atlanta on Wednesday before taking out the Bulls.

James also had 12 rebounds and seven assists in another big performance after ending his franchise-record seven-game streak of scoring at least 30 the previous night.

Dwyane Wade added 17 points, and the Heat took control in the first half, sending the Bulls to their fifth loss in seven games on a night when the Derrick Rose recovery story took another twist.

After saying last week that he wouldn't rush back from his knee injury to play this season if he wasn't ready, Chicago's sidelined superstar had to go into damage control mode after his older brother Reggie blasted the organization in an ESPNChicago.com article for not making a move before Thursday's trade deadline.

Things didn't get much better for the Bulls once the game started. They set a season low for points while committing a season-high 27 turnovers, the most for the Bulls since they had 29 against Washington on Dec. 4, 2004.

"We're putting together some good basketball right now,'' James said. "We're defending. We're creating turnovers. We're winning the turnover game offensively. We're the best shooting team in the league ... so if we don't turn the ball over, we get good shots at the rim, we could also have a good chance to win.''

Nate Robinson scored 14 points for Chicago but also committed five fouls with Kirk Hinrich sitting out because of ongoing trouble with his right elbow. That explains some of the Bulls' problems hanging onto the ball, although general sloppiness and Miami's athleticism certainly played a role.

Carlos Boozer had 12 points and 11 rebounds and Joakim Noah added 11 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, but he also had four turnovers.

Chicago was particularly bad in the first half, coughing it up 17 times as the Heat built a 45-35 lead, and the Bulls came up short after winning at Miami last month. This time, the Heat took control in the second quarter, scoring 13 straight points during a 4 1/2-minute stretch to turn a two-point deficit into an 11-point advantage even though James was on the bench for much of the run.

It started after a soaring right-handed dunk by Taj Gibson to give Chicago a 28-26 lead with 8:16 remaining. Allen answered with a driving layup, Wade followed with two jumpers and the Bulls turned it over five times as the Heat built a 39-28 lead.

Marco Belinelli ended the scoring drought for Chicago with a free throw, and Boozer then nailed a jumper after Bosh buried a 20-footer. But it was a rough night all around for Chicago, even before the Bulls took to the court.

Rose, recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, found himself at the center of attention after his brother went off, and he wound up releasing this statement in response: "I have always felt that the Bulls organization's goals have been the same as mine and that is to bring another championship to this city.''

That comment came after Reggie Rose ripped the Bulls, telling ESPNChicago.com they don't have the talent to compete for a championship and that their decision to stand pat before the trade deadline could be a "big factor'' in whether Derrick plays at all this season.

"It's frustrating to see my brother play his heart and soul out for the team and them not put anything around him,'' said Reggie Rose, Derrick's manager.

Coach Tom Thibodeau brushed off his comments, saying they're "no big deal.

"We all want the same things,'' he added. "We want Derrick's health. Obviously we're trying to pursue a championship. We share that in common.''

NOTES: Hinrich sat out because of soreness in his right elbow. The veteran Hinrich missed seven games with an infection in the elbow before delivering 10 assists Tuesday in a win at New Orleans. The Bulls visit Charlotte on Friday, and Thibodeau expects him to make the trip. ... The Heat traded backup center Dexter Pittman and a second-round pick in this year's draft to the Grizzlies on Thursday for the rights to center Ricky Sanchez. ... Mike Miller remained in Miami because of ear problems resulting from a head cold. He also missed Wednesday's game at Atlanta but could be available in Saturday at Philadelphia.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Spurs beat Clippers 116-90 for 5th straight win

LOS ANGELES (AP) The aging San Antonio Spurs came out of the All-Star break rested and raring to go.

They notched their second win since the break ended and fifth in a row, beating the Los Angeles Clippers 116-90 on Thursday night behind 31 points from Tony Parker.

"Tony's been a huge part of us playing that well. He's been the one who is most consistent,'' said Tim Duncan, who had nine points. "Everything kind of clicked together. We made a lot of shots. They just couldn't get their footing.''

The Spurs led all the way in beating the Clippers for the first time this season and improving to an NBA-best 22-10 on the road, where they've also won five in a row.

"It was a complete butt-kicking from the start in every way you can count,'' Clippers coach and former Spurs player Vinny Del Negro said.

Parker had seven assists and no turnovers in 28 minutes and Danny Green added 15 points. The West-leading Spurs tied their season-best with 59-percent shooting, hit eight 3-pointers and made 22 of 28 free throws. They had lost both previous meetings with the Clippers in November.

"We're not that good and they're not that bad,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I think it's because we already played one. Too long of a layoff (for the Clippers).''

Matt Barnes scored 18 points, Blake Griffin had 17 and Jamal Crawford 15 as the Clippers' four-game winning streak ended in their first game after the break. Chris Paul, MVP in Houston last weekend with 20 points and 15 assists, was held to four points on 1-of-6 shooting and three assists.

"It's very humbling, but it happens,'' Griffin said. "There's going to be games where you feel like nothing's going your way, so we need to get back to what made us successful against San Antonio. We've got to have a good practice tomorrow, go over our mistakes and bounce back against Utah on Saturday.''

The Clippers have lost their first game coming out of the break in nine of the last 10 years, including five in a row. They came in trailing the Spurs by 4 1/2 games for the best record in the NBA, but they never got a run going and their defense didn't do much. The biggest excitement during the game was generated by a fan who made a half-court shot during a timeout to win a new car.

"They just beat us, beat us bad,'' Paul said. "Luckily it wasn't a Game 7 or our last game of the season. They came out and executed. Tony was in a rocking chair all night. We just let him go wherever he wanted to, and we never really could get going offensively. It's a very humbling loss.''

The Spurs led by 28 points to start the fourth quarter, when Parker and most of the other Spurs starters rested while fans hit the exits in droves. The Clippers equaled their worst loss of the season.

"It's only one game. It doesn't mean anything,'' Parker said. "You have to look at the big picture. We want to win a championship.''

San Antonio put on a free-throw shooting clinic in the third quarter, making 16 of 20, including 12 during a 14-4 run that extended its lead to 81-53.

Popovich said he tried to call a couple plays, but Parker overrode him.

"He's really matured as a player,'' Popovich said. "He just used to be a scoring point guard. Now there's a whole new world out there. He's a complete player.''

Parker said, "He's always trusting me and letting me grow as a point guard and calling plays. Before in my career I was always looking at him. Now I don't look at him.''

The Spurs shot 63 percent to lead 58-43 at halftime. Parker scored 17 points in the half, while Griffin was the only Clipper in double figures with 13 points. Paul didn't make his first basket until the final 3 minutes of the second quarter.

San Antonio made its first six shots to start the game and used a 17-4 run, including seven by Manu Ginobili, to close out the first quarter leading 34-21.

NOTES: San Antonio improved to 6-1 on its nine-game rodeo trip. ... The Clippers dropped to 21-6 at home. ... Spurs F-G Stephen Jackson played for the first time since his wife had a miscarriage. He had left the team in Chicago on Feb. 11. ... Spurs F Kawhi Leonard was held out for precautionary reasons because of soreness in his left knee, the same reason he missed 16 games earlier in the season. ... Adam Silver, who will succeed David Stern as NBA commish, attended the game. ... There was a moment of silence for late Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who died Monday.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Warriors rally past Spurs 107-101 in OT

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) Maybe these new-look Golden State Warriors are winners after all.

Jarrett Jack had 30 points and 10 assists, David Lee added 25 points and 22 rebounds and the short-sleeve-wearing Warriors rallied past the San Antonio Spurs 107-101 in overtime Friday night to snap a staggering 16-game losing streak in the series.

"We're not going anywhere,'' Warriors coach Mark Jackson said. "We will not go anywhere. So get used to seeing these beautiful yellow jerseys.''

The tight-fitted uniforms with pinstriped shorts became the talk of Twitter and also sparked chatter in the stands. Even point guard Stephen Curry said some Spurs laughed at the Warriors when they took off their practice shirts - only to sport similar yellow-sleeved uniforms underneath.

It was certainly a fashion statement, but not nearly as dramatic as the statement made by the Warriors with their play.

Curry finished with 18 points and six assists to carry Golden State from 13 points down in the fourth quarter. The game featured 20 lead changes, 17 ties and countless late highlights.

Golden State had dropped six in a row until winning against Phoenix on Wednesday. The Warriors, also playing without center Andrew Bogut, hadn't won against San Antonio since another overtime game at home - all the way back on Jan. 7, 2008.

"Had it been that long?'' Curry asked. "Dang. Good win.''

Danny Green scored 20 points and Tim Duncan had 19 points and 18 rebounds for the NBA-leading Spurs, who had won five straight and 16 of 17 overall. San Antonio fell to 6-2 on its rodeo trip, which ends Sunday at Phoenix.

"I think we got a little bit stubborn at different periods of the game and didn't move the ball really well,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But they did a great job defensively and that's what allowed them to have an opportunity to win the basketball game. They did a really fine job in that regard.''

The Spurs seemed to take control between the third and fourth quarters, breaking away from a tie game with 13 straight points behind Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Both finished with 18 points, but both disappeared late.

The teams traded baskets for the final 6 minutes of regulation and most of overtime.

Lee's driving layup put the Warriors ahead 90-89 with a little more than a minute to play in the fourth. That lead lasted only a few seconds, with Green banking a floater off the glass.

Curry came out of a timeout slashing through the lane and tossed a midair pass out to Jack through a crowd of defenders. Jack swished the 3-pointer with 7.3 seconds to play, pumping his right hand and flexing his muscles around midcourt after giving Golden State a 93-91 lead.

The rest of his celebration would have to wait.

Duncan took the inbounds pass on the other end from Ginobili, who knifed through the lane for a quick give-and-go and a tying layup. Jack missed a desperation shot, sending the game to overtime.

The energy remained rampant in the extra period, and so did the highlights. Curry's long bounce pass just skipped past Ginobili and into the hands of Jack, whose reverse layup gave Golden State a 100-98 lead.

Jack followed with another long jumper, freezing Parker off the dribble to put the Warriors ahead by four with 56.5 seconds left. Green hit a 3-pointer before Parker missed a potential go-ahead layup. Lee grabbed the rebound and tossed the ball to Curry, whose two free throws put the Warriors ahead 104-101.

Duncan's errant pass was stolen on the next possession to seal San Antonio's loss. Jack hit a trio of free throws, and the Warriors finally came out on top against the Spurs.

Jack became the first NBA reserve to finish with at least 30 points and 10 assists since Lakers great Magic Johnson on Feb. 16, 1996, according to the Warriors. The Sixth Man of the Year contender only cared about the result, with Golden State outshooting San Antonio 41.5 to 38.9 percent and winning the rebounding battle 48 to 40.

"By far our best defensive effort in a really, really long time,'' Jack said.

And it came without Bogut, who is out indefinitely with back spasms. The 7-foot center has missed 43 of 55 games this season, most recovering from surgery on his left ankle.

The Warriors still put to rest a staggering 16 straight losses against San Antonio.

The first half played out in less mesmerizing fashion than the uniforms, with San Antonio setting its typical plodding pace. Both teams took seven-point leads during the first half, and each struggled to create separation.

"They were packing in everybody in the paint. They did a good job tonight,'' said Parker, who shot 7 of 18 from the floor.

The intensity finally picked up late in the third quarter when the home team delighted the crowd announced at 19,596 - Golden State's 16th straight sellout - with some daring and dazzling efforts, starting with Curry's bank shot after getting knocked down by Duncan to begin a three-point play.

Ginobili twisted his way through the lane for a layup and a jumper as the Spurs scored 13 straight, including the first 12 points of the fourth. They went ahead 80-67 on Green's 3-pointer with 8:55 to play.

Golden State answered with its own 13-0 run capped by a 3-pointer from Curry, whose swish came mere feet in front of jubilant owner Joe Lacob sitting courtside. Both waived to the fans roaring to their feet, setting the stage for the frantic finish.

NOTES: Spurs swingman Stephen Jackson dressed but did not play for undisclosed reasons. He played at the Clippers a night earlier, his first game back since his wife had a miscarriage. Jackson had left the team in Chicago on Feb. 11. ... The Warriors are also planning to wear the sleeved jerseys for home games against Houston on March 8 and Chicago on March 15. ... The Spurs have won 28 in a row against the Warriors in San Antonio.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Kobe scores 40, Lakers hold off Blazers 111-107

LOS ANGELES (AP) Back on the court after days of mourning, the Los Angeles Lakers grinded out a gritty win thanks to a vintage performance from their biggest star.

Kobe Bryant scored 40 points, Dwight Howard had 19 points and 16 rebounds, and Los Angeles capped a trying week with a 111-107 victory over the slumping Portland Trail Blazers on Friday night.

Hours after longtime Lakers owner Jerry Buss was buried, and a day after a moving memorial service punctuated by eulogies from Bryant and other franchise greats, the team got back to basketball with a much-needed victory at Staples Center.

"It's been a tough week,'' Howard acknowledged. "But as a team and a city and an organization, we're coming together. And it's great. We need all the support we can get from our fans, and the Buss family needs the support from us. So we're getting there. You could see the effort and emotion that we have on the court.''

During his eulogy, Bryant publicly challenged his teammates in the audience to win a championship in Buss' memory - even though the Lakers are 3 1/2 games behind Houston for the final Western Conference playoff spot with 26 games remaining.

"Kobe said what he had to say. But as a team, we understand how important the second half of the season is for us and what we want to accomplish,'' Howard said. "We've had a lot of ups and downs this year, and we want to do whatever we can to get this right. Kobe and myself understand that. It starts with me and him, as far as being on the same page. And on defense, it starts with me.''

Bryant scored 11 points in the final 5 1/2 minutes as the Lakers won for the seventh time in 10 games.

Antawn Jamison had 16 points off the bench, helping to hand Portland its season-worst seventh straight loss. The Trail Blazers have lost five consecutive road games and 10 of their last 11 away from the Rose Garden, leaving them 11th in the conference standings.

Portland led 82-80 after three quarters, and the lead changed hands 11 times before Steve Nash's layup gave the Lakers a 107-105 lead with 1:44 to play. Bryant fumbled the ball out of bounds on the Lakers' next possession, but the Blazers couldn't capitalize and Bryant closed it out with four free throws in the final 13 seconds.

Bryant finished 9 for 9 from the line and 15 of 23 from the floor, but still called it "somewhat of an off-shooting night.''

"I had to be a little bit more assertive - but at the same time make plays for my team,'' said Bryant, who committed five turnovers. "I've been having off-shooting nights for the last month. We just need to continue to focus and approach every game like it's a playoff game.''

Howard, looking for his sixth rebounding title in seven seasons, came in averaging an NBA-best and career-high 11.8 boards per game. The Lakers are 19-12 when he gets double digits in rebounds, and 11 of those losses have come on nights when he grabbed 14 or more. They wasted 26 boards in a home loss to Denver on Jan. 6, and 20 in a Dec. 11 loss at Cleveland.

"I think a lot of us are playing a lot harder. I know for myself, I'm in better shape now and I'm able to do more. So that's going to get better,'' Howard said. "I think I have to really come out every night with the same intensity and the same effort. I have to do a better job of playing hard, and I'm going to try.''

J.J. Hickson had 22 points and 11 rebounds for Portland, and Nicolas Batum also scored 22. Two-time All-Star LaMarcus Aldridge finished with 15 points in 34 foul-plagued minutes after picking up his fifth personal with 8 minutes remaining.

Damian Lillard added 19 points. All of Portland's starters scored in double figures, while the bench produced just 14.

Hickson, who came in fifth in the NBA with a 56.5 field goal percentage, shot 8 for 10 in the first half and had 16 points - including a 20-footer with 2.6 seconds on the clock to give the Blazers a 55-53 lead at the break.

"I like the way our team fought,'' Portland coach Terry Stotts said. "We've had a rough stretch, but we came out and played aggressively. We pushed the tempo and did a lot of good things out there. I thought we played well enough to win the game, but unfortunately we didn't.''

NOTES: The Lakers (27-29) haven't been under .500 this deep into a season since 1993-94, when they were 21-35 after 56 games and finished 33-49. That was the first of only two times that the team didn't make the playoffs during Buss' term as owner, which began in 1979-80. ... The Lakers are 5-13 when Bryant commits five or more turnovers. ... Bryant hit a 3-pointer in the first quarter that snapped his string of 16 consecutive misses from behind the arc. He is only 2 for 39 since Jan. 20, when he misfired on his last two attempts. "I didn't realize I was shooting so poorly from the 3,'' Bryant said. "It was one of those things where I was facilitating and taking a 3 here and there, a 3 here and there. All of a sudden, it adds up. It just irked me it's not going down.'' ... Hickson was 11 for 15 from the field, extending his club-record streak to 18 consecutive games of shooting 50 percent or better. ... No Lakers player scored 30 or more points in the team's previous 17 games since Jan. 15, when Bryant and Howard each had 31 in a 104-88 home win against Milwaukee. ... The Blazers haven't lost more than seven straight games in the same season since 2005-06, when they dropped their final eight and 19 of their last 20. They begin a four-game homestand Sunday against the Celtics, who have beaten Portland six straight times and won 13 of the past 14 meetings. ... The Blazers have lost six straight road games against the Lakers, and are 5-20 against them at Staples Center since the arena opened in 1999-00.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Green scores 31 points as Celtics rout Suns 113-88

PHOENIX (AP) Jeff Green gave Boston a sensational performance in his first start in nearly two years.

Green scored a season-high 31 points on 11-of-14 shooting and the short-handed Celtics routed the Phoenix Suns 113-88 on Friday night.

"I didn't have a different mindset,'' said Green, who missed last season following heart surgery to correct an aortic aneurysm. "It was the same as me coming off the bench. I just tried to make a statement early and that's what I did by attacking the rim and getting to the free throw line.''

Green started in place of 36-year-old Kevin Garnett, given a rest with Boston playing its third game in four nights.

"Jeff was phenomenal,'' Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "We started the game running a set we had never run in our lives. We literally drew it up right before the game. They just had the basketball IQ to keep working and they actually showed us options we didn't know we had.''

Chris Wilcox had 13 points off the bench, and Avery Bradley and Jason Terry scored 13 each for the Celtics, who moved two games ahead of Milwaukee for seventh place in the Eastern Conference.

"It's just a feel-good win,'' Rivers said.

Paul Pierce scored only eight on 3-of-5 shooting for his fourth single-digit game of the season. But that mattered little to the Celtics, who were dominant from the opening tip in snapping a two-game skid.

Jordan Crawford, acquired from Washington on Thursday, made his Celtics debut and scored 10 points off the bench as Boston improved to 9-3 without injured guard Rajon Rondo.

"I didn't get to sleep until around 4 and had to get up at 6:30, but it's all good,'' Crawford said. "They did a good job of welcoming me. They made it normal for me, just telling me to come out and play my game.''

Goran Dragic had 18 points and 10 assists, Markieff Morris scored 11 and Marcin Gortat added 10 points and six rebounds for the Suns, who have lost two straight and six of seven.

"We're just playing bad, bad basketball,'' Gortat said. "We need training camp for a week at least. There was no defense, no rotations. They're just walking by us and taking the ball out of our hands.''

Boston wasted no time grabbing control, taking advantage of Phoenix's 0-for-5 start from the floor and a pair of Suns turnovers to open a 13-0 lead less than 4 minutes into the game.

Suns coach Lindsey Hunter waited only 60 seconds before calling his first timeout. In the fourth quarter he had three point guards on the floor.

"Two dead layups? Yeah, I saw (the problems) real early,'' Hunter said. "A situation like tonight burns at my very being. That is totally unacceptable, coaching-wise and player-wise. That way we performed tonight? That cannot happen. People say you can't coach effort. I disagree because I am responsible and I feel like if I've got to coach effort then that's what I have to do.

"I guarantee you we're going to change or we're going to practice until they kick us out of the gym, because that puts a bad taste in my mouth. ... One of their Hall of Fame players didn't play and they still come in here and smack you around like a punching bag. You're at home and there is no resistance. That is just not who I am and that is not who this team will be. Whatever we have to do, whatever method, it will be done.''

Phoenix slowly cut into the lead, but every time the Suns came close the Celtics ran their lead back to double digits.

The Suns' last run came in the first 2 minutes of the second half, a 7-0 streak capped by a 3-pointer from Dragic that cut Boston's 12-point halftime lead to 53-48. But the Celtics pulled away for good, opening a 74-59 lead on Terrence Williams' layup with 3:03 left in the third quarter.

Boston, which swept the season series against Phoenix for the first time since 2008-09, led by as many as 30 in the fourth quarter.

"This is one you just want to put behind you as fast as possible,'' Suns forward P.J. Tucker said.

NOTES: Boston won for the first time in eight road games against Western Conference teams. ... Suns C Hamed Haddadi, who came to Phoenix from Toronto with a second-round pick for Sebastian Telfair on Thursday, arrived midway through the first quarter but did not dress. ... Markieff and Marcus Morris became the second twin teammates in NBA history. The other set, Dick and Tom Van Arsdale, also played for the Suns and celebrated their 70th birthday on Friday. Marcus, traded from Houston on Thursday for a second-round pick, made his debut with 6:32 to play, joining Markieff on the floor for the first time since March 26, 2011, when they played for Kansas.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
West, Pacers earn home-and-home sweep of Pistons

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) If the Indiana Pacers could make the NBA schedule, they would probably be playing the Detroit Pistons again on Sunday.

Probably Monday, as well.

One night after blowing the Pistons out in Indianapolis, the Pacers did the same thing at the Palace on Saturday night. David West scored 16 points and Paul George had a double-double to help Indiana cruise to a 90-72 win over Detroit.

"Any time you play a team back-to-back, they are going to be dialed into what you do, especially with this being the fourth time this season.'' George said. "We knew they were going to make it a different game this time, but we take pride in our defense.''

The Pacers won 114-82 Friday night in Indianapolis, and led by as many as 21 in the return leg. George finished with 12 points and 12 rebounds for Indiana, which had five players in double figures and got Danny Granger on the floor for the first time this season.

"Our defense carried us throughout most of the game - we held those guys to 33 percent,'' said Indiana coach Frank Vogel. "We struggled to make shots this time, but we still ended up at 45 percent, which is pretty good.''

Granger, who sat out the first 55 games of the season with a knee injury, missed his first eight shots before hitting one in the fourth quarter. He finished with two points on 1-for-10 shooting in 18 minutes.

"He was rusty, but that's to be expected,'' Vogel said. "That's why we aren't throwing him out there for 40 minutes. He's been a lot better in practices, but this was his first time at game speed in a long time.''

Will Bynum led Detroit with 15 points before getting ejected for striking Tyler Hansbrough in the groin in the fourth quarter. Hansbrough said he didn't know what caused it, and Bynum wasn't willing to be specific.

"It was just something that happened in the heat of the moment - it wasn't something I planned intentionally,'' Bynum said. "There's a level of frustration when you are getting drilled by the same team for the second night in a row.''

After trailing by as many as 43 in Indiana, the Pistons started the second game of the home-and-home series by missing 16 of their first 17 shots.

"Our starting unit defends as well as any I have ever been around,'' Vogel said. "They've been doing this all year, and that's a big reason for our success.''

Still, as good as Indiana's defense may be, the Pacers aren't usually holding teams to under 6 percent shooting for long stretches of the game.

"We got a good example tonight of playoff basketball,'' Pistons coach Lawrence Frank said. "We missed some shots at the rim early on, and then we got frustrated and started getting away from what we wanted to do.''

The Pacers struggled to take advantage, turning the ball over seven times in the first nine minutes of the game. That's when Granger checked in for the first time this season.

"It was different, because we were trying to get Danny into the loop - we all wanted him to get into a groove,'' George said. "Once the second half came around, we knew we had to finish the game.''

Detroit's second unit - including three rookies - took a 21-20 lead midway through the second quarter, but the Pacers finished strong to take a 39-28 lead at the break. Bynum had 13 points for the Pistons, but Detroit's five starters combined for only 11 points on 4-of-22 shooting in the opening half.

Indiana pulled away in the third quarter and, for the second night in a row, both teams emptied their benches down the stretch.

"They have just had our number from start to finish,'' Bynum said. "There is no other way to look at it.''

NOTES: Detroit's starters had one assist and eight turnovers in the first half. ... Charlie Villanueva and West picked up technical fouls for confrontations on back-to-back possessions in the second quarter.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LeBron's triple-double lifts Heat over 76ers

PHILADELPHIA (AP) Before he took a seat on the bench, LeBron James made sure to grab one more rebound.

James had 16 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds for his 35th career triple-double and the Miami Heat cruised to their 10th straight win, 114-90 over the Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday night.

The three-time NBA MVP knew he was one board away from a special night so he went after it hard early in the fourth quarter. After Chris Anderson blocked Evan Turner's shot, James hauled it in, drove up court and banked a shot in for good measure.

"I was going to stay out there until I got it,'' James said. "I wasn't going to let this one slip away. I've had too many games where I was one assist, one rebound away. I wasn't coming out.''

Dwyane Wade had 33 points, Mario Chalmers scored 14 and Chris Bosh added 13 to help the defending NBA champions improve to 39-14. The Heat have a comfortable 5 1/2-game lead over Indiana in the Eastern Conference.

They've won four in a row on the road, including impressive wins over Oklahoma City before the All-Star break and Chicago on Thursday.

"It was a professional win,'' Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "LeBron started it with his unselfishness, finding the open guy, making it contagious. Then it was an efficient shooting night.''

Jrue Holiday scored 21 points and Nick Young had 19 for Philadelphia, which continues to fall further behind in the playoff chase. The Sixers entered 3 1/2 games behind Milwaukee for the No. 8 spot in the East.

A rare sellout crowd turned out for the nightcap of an NHL/NBA doubleheader at the Wells Fargo Center to see James, Wade and Co. There were even scalpers outside the arena selling tickets before the game for one of the few big draws of the season.

Fans roared when Spencer Hawes rejected James' shot late in the first quarter, swatting the ball back in his face.

Many of the same people jumped to their feet and cheered when James threw down a thunderous dunk off an alley-oop pass from Norris Cole late in the third quarter. By that time, the Heat were up 85-63 and the crowd was more interested in seeing James make a highlight play than rooting for the Sixers.

"He's so big and strong and powerful. He decides when he wants to be a passer or a scorer,'' Sixers coach Doug Collins said.

James got his first "Ooohs'' and "Ahhhs'' after a no-look backdoor pass to Bosh for an easy layup in the first. Chalmers followed with a rainbow 3-pointer and a reverse lay-up to give the Heat a 24-22 lead and they never trailed again.

"I get more pleasure out of kicking the ball than scoring,'' James said.

After registering his third triple-double of the season and seventh since joining the Heat, James got a mixture of cheers and boos when he went to the bench with 10:15 left.

Wade came in after a brief rest and continued his hot shooting, scoring six straight points on a driving layup, two free throws and a long jumper. He was 12 of 14 at that point before missing a 3-pointer.

"I think we're better than last season because we understand each other a lot more,'' Bosh said. "Everyone is coming together as a team and we feel comfortable with each other. I think we're starting to play like we know we're capable of playing. It's shown in this win streak. Even with the break, we've continued to play well. I think if we keep playing at this type of level, the sky is the limit for us.''

While the Heat are gearing up to make a run at a repeat, the Sixers have lost four straight to fall a season-worst nine games below .500 at 22-31.

"In the first half, we did a lot of things well,'' Holiday said. "We have to sustain that for 48 minutes.''

It's been a disappointing year for Philadelphia, which knocked off top-seeded Chicago in the first round of the playoffs a year ago and then took Boston to seven games in the conference quarterfinals.

A season that began with promise after the acquisition of center Andrew Bynum quickly fell apart. Bynum has yet to play a game this season because of bone bruises in both knees. He said earlier in the week he plans to play at some point. At this rate, it won't matter much for the Sixers.

"Holiday is a great player, but he needs help,'' James said. "We all thought Bynum would be a huge piece for them.''

Notes: The Flyers beat the Winnipeg Jets 5-3 in an afternoon hockey game. ... The Heat have won 12 straight regular-season games against Philadelphia. The Sixers won one playoff game against Miami in the first round of the 2011 playoffs. ... Heat G Mike Miller remained in Miami because of ear problems resulting from a head cold. He's missed three straight games. ... James has scored in double figures in 472 straight games, sixth-best in NBA history.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Clippers get 1st sweep of Jazz since '78-79 season

LOS ANGELES (AP) Still smarting from a 26-point loss to the Spurs, the Los Angeles Clippers took out their frustration on the Utah Jazz.

Caron Butler scored 21 points and the Clippers rode a big third quarter to a 107-94 victory on Saturday night, completing their first season sweep of the Jazz since 1978-79.

"We had some fight, some passion, some enthusiasm, some fire,'' Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said.

Blake Griffin and Lamar Odom added 18 points each, and DeAndre Jordan had 12 rebounds for the Pacific Division-leading Clippers, who went 4-0 against the Jazz this season and have won six straight over Utah dating to last year.

"We're playing for something bigger than just these wins,'' said Chris Paul, who had 11 points, seven rebounds and seven assists.

Reserve Gordon Hayward led the Jazz with 23 points, Paul Millsap added 19 and Al Jefferson 16 as their three-game winning streak ended. They dropped to 10-19 on the road.

"I wasn't even alive 34 years ago, so it doesn't matter back then,'' Jefferson said. "But we had a chance in each and every game we played them. There were two games in Utah that we were up 20-plus points and they came back. But congratulations to them for sweeping us. Hopefully we'll meet them in the playoffs and not have to take care of it next year.''

Los Angeles shot 51 percent two nights after West-leading San Antonio handed the team its worst defeat of the season.

"We were just a lot more focused. That San Antonio game left a really bad taste in our mouth,'' Chauncey Billups said.

The Clippers broke open a close game in the third when they outscored Utah 36-20. Griffin had 12 points and Butler 11 in the period that began with them leading by two. Los Angeles opened on a 23-4 run - including 14 in a row - dominated by Griffin and Butler, who combined to score all but two of their team's points. It ended with the Clippers' largest lead of 74-53.

"At halftime we talked about coming out and getting stops,'' Griffin said. "It was really just effort. That's what got the lead back.''

The highlight play came near the end of the spurt when Griffin went sliding across the court on his belly in a desperate attempt to keep the ball from going out of bounds. He succeeded by mere inches, firing it to Billups, who found Butler waiting on the left wing. He hoisted a 3-pointer that swished through the net as 19,165 fans roared their approval.

"I thought I was going to slide out of bounds, but somehow I stuck so it worked out,'' Griffin said.

Billups said, "Extra-effort plays are ones that win it. That's a play that puts you over the top.''

The Jazz never got closer than 16 the rest of the third, and trailed 87-69.

"We gave them too many easy shots and turned the ball over too many times, and you can't give teams that confidence in the third quarter,'' Jefferson said. "We played well enough to win in the first half, but we missed a lot of shots after that.''

Griffin and Butler joined the second unit midway through the fourth after the Jazz closed to 97-84. Odom scored seven straight points to keep the Clippers ahead 104-84. He scored 16 of his 18 points in the second half.

"That's the kind of scoring I remember from Lamar when he was on the Lakers,'' Griffin said.

Odom shot 8 of 15 and his 18 points were a season high to go with six rebounds.

"L.O. was unbelievable,'' Paul said. "Without his spark and aggression, we don't win this game. When he's aggressive it changes the dynamics of our team. I'm one of the guys who's always telling him to shoot it. He's always open.''

Odom hadn't scored more than four points in the Clippers' five previous games.

"I'm starting to get my legs underneath me. I'm just trying to stay at it, work hard,'' he said. "I'm trying to fit in and do whatever I can do to help the team win.''

Hayward said Odom caused problems for the Jazz.

"Usually, you're trying to shut down Jamal Crawford, and that's a task in itself,'' he said. "When you've got another guy who's rolling like that, that makes it really difficult.''

Los Angeles opened the second on an 11-2 run, including seven by Crawford that restored its lead to 11 points.

The Jazz answered with a 20-10 spurt to take their first lead, 45-44. Jefferson scored 10 points and Hayward had eight. Crawford, Paul and Billups combined for all of the Clippers' points.

The Clippers saw an 11-point lead early in the game dwindle to 25-23 after the first, when Millsap scored 15 of Utah's points.

NOTES: Jazz coach Ty Corbin and Millsap got technical fouls in the second, as did Griffin. ... In the third quarter, the referees reversed their initial flagrant foul-1 call on Griffin, who went up to block Alec Burks' attempted dunk. After a review they decided it was a two-shot foul. ... Ex-Clipper Randy Foye needs five 3-pointers to break Mehmet Okur's single-season franchise record of 129. Foye missed all five of his long-range attempts. ... Utah G Mo Williams missed the game against his old team while recovering from thumb surgery.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Chandler leads Nuggets past Lakers, 119-108

DENVER (AP) It's a good thing Danilo Gallinari was a late scratch for the Denver Nuggets. With a bruised left thigh, he couldn't have kept up with his hustling teammates as they sped past the aged and aching Los Angeles Lakers.

Wilson Chandler scored 23 points in place of Gallinari, and Ty Lawson added 22 in the Nuggets' 119-108 win Monday night in which Denver outscored the Lakers 33-3 on the fast break and 78-50 in the paint.

"The fast-break points, that's a killer,'' Kobe Bryant said. "That team is like a track team over there.''

And the Lakers were like a bunch of shuffle-boarders, trailing on the scoreboard and the hardwood all night long as they trudged through the second game of a difficult back-to-back.

"First, we know that they played last night,'' Lawson said. "Coming into the altitude, also they're a little slow getting back. So, once they miss a shot, it seemed like a jailbreak. Everybody was trying to run downcourt and get the layup.''

Or the arena-shaking slam dunk.

Or the rim-rattling alley-oop jam.

Corey Brewer also got extended minutes with Gallinari out and he scored 16, many in transition. Even seldom-used reserves Anthony Randolph and Jordan Hamilton joined in the fast-break fun.

"Our running game was sensational,'' Nuggets coach George Karl said. "And we put enough defense in the game.''

Gallinari, the Nuggets' leading scorer, wasn't needed as the Nuggets won their ninth straight game at home, snapped the Lakers' three-game winning streak and took the season series from their long-time nemesis 3-1.

Coming off a down-to-the-wire win at Dallas the day before, the Lakers wanted to slow down the Nuggets but just couldn't keep up with their younger, more athletic and, yes, better-rested opponents.

"They just ran out of the starter's blocks and beat us down the floor,'' Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said. "... We couldn't catch them. We just couldn't catch them. For whatever reason, they just took off. Even on just a missed shot, we couldn't get back quick enough.'''

Bryant led the Lakers with 29 points, and his fadeaway jumper with five minutes left cut Denver's lead to 106-99, but the Lakers got no closer.

The Nuggets scored 22 points off the Lakers' 15 turnovers.

"It's tough to neutralize speed, especially when they're very good at what they do,'' Bryant said. "Yeah, their speed. Their speed got us. They got out on transition, got easy buckets. Kept the pressure on us. We had to labor for opportunities, think we might have had two fast-break points. Contrast that with 33. It's crazy.''

Anything and everything the Lakers tried to do to flip the size-speed disadvantage only backfired on them.

"You have to almost over-exaggerate getting back on defense,'' Bryant said. "Literally, nobody can go to the offensive boards.''

Sure enough, the Lakers had zero rebounds off the offensive glass in the first half and just eight all night.

"I think it was their speed,'' Bryant said. "Their speed was something that was tough for us to adjust to all night long. They continually pushed the ball down our throats. Shots go up and those guys are already leaking out, to go along with the speed. They got a lot of easy buckets because of it.''

Bryant needed 23 shots to score his 29 points and he often found those shots getting swatted away by JaVale McGee, including one that led to a basket by Lawson as the Nuggets took a 67-54 halftime lead. A flustered Bryant picked up a technical foul on his way to the locker room.

Bryant said his NBA-leading 14th technical of the season was a misunderstanding and he's confident the league will rescind it. A one-game suspension is in order when a player reaches 16 technical fouls.

"I'm not concerned,'' Bryant said.

Andre Iguodala (14 points, 12 assists) and Kenneth Faried (12 points, 10 rebounds) posted double-doubles for Denver.

Dwight Howard added 15 points and 14 boards for L.A. but missed 11 of his last 12 free throws after sinking his first two.

"That was the highlight,'' D'Antoni cracked. "It happens. I'm not going to dwell on it much, just because nobody steps up there and wants to miss it. We just need to clean up the other stuff.

"I was more disappointed in the turnovers in the first quarter and not having that little extra burst to try to get back. We couldn't even get three guys back. It was like 5-on-2. They had all five guys down and we had one back or two back. To me, we just weren't quite ready for their speed.''

Notes: The Nuggets are 24-3 at the Pepsi Center, including a 126-114 win over the Lakers on Dec. 26. ... The Lakers had won 11 of 14. ... There were three technical fouls called in the first 4 1/2 minutes. ... Lawson extended his career-best streak of 20-point games to seven. ... Denver's 33 fast-break points are a season-high, the Lakers' 3 fast-break points a season-low.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wizards beat Raptors 90-84 for 3rd straight win

TORONTO (AP) Bradley Beal is making a strong case to earn top rookie honors in the Eastern Conference for the third straight month.

Beal scored 20 points, Nene had 11 points and nine rebounds, and the Washington Wizards beat the Toronto Raptors 90-84 on Monday night for their third straight victory.

The third overall pick in last June's draft, and the East rookie of the month in December and January, Beal scored 20 or more for the 11th time.

"I feel a lot more comfortable and I have a lot more confidence as well,'' Beal said. "It's a learning process for me and it's been like that the whole year. Now the game is slowing down for me, so I'm making easier reads. I'm starting to learn how teams are playing me and I'm just playing off of that.''

A.J. Price and Martell Webster each added 12 points for the Wizards, who won for just the fifth time in 27 road games this season. Washington's road record is the worst in the NBA.

Beal missed five games between Jan. 30 and Feb. 6 with a sore right wrist but has topped 20 points in four of seven games since returning.

"He's been playing great basketball over the last two weeks,'' Webster said. "The kid is balling. He has a great rhythm, let's hope he keeps riding it.''

John Wall had 10 points and seven assists, and Emeka Okafor had eight points and 13 rebounds as the Wizards won for the 14th time in 23 games.

Okafor said Beal has made a vital contribution to Washington's offense during its recent surge.

"He's been that spark,'' Okafor said. "When things are a little bit slow or there's a lull, he gets it picked up.''

DeMar DeRozan scored 25 points and Kyle Lowry had 18 for the Raptors, who had won six of their previous seven.

Raptors coach Dwane Casey called the loss "a stinker.''

"They whipped us, they outworked us,'' Casey said. "Washington is an athletic team and they are playing hard. That should have gotten our attention.''

It was a rough night for Toronto's Rudy Gay, who missed his first six field goal attempts before scoring on a driving dunk one minute into the fourth quarter. Gay shot 1 for 11 and finished with seven points, one more than his season low, set Dec 22 at Houston when he played for Memphis.

"To crowd him was the most important thing tonight,'' Webster said. "Our minds were set on making every possession for him tough.''

A three-point play by DeRozan cut Toronto's deficit to 79-72 with 3:38 left. Thirty seconds later, Gay was fouled with a chance to cut it to five but he missed the second free throw.

Nene answered with a dunk and, after a basket by Lowry, Trevor Ariza made a layup to make it 83-75 with 2:13 remaining.

Nine of Nene's 11 points came in the final quarter.

"I thought he was huge for us in the fourth, scoring some big baskets and anchoring our defense,'' Wizards coach Randy Wittman said.

DeRozan made a pair of free throws with 1:57 left, but could only make one of two when he went back to the line with 1:04 remaining, leaving Toronto down 83-78.

Wall nearly lost the ball at midcourt on the next possession but kept the play alive by calling timeout. After the stoppage he streaked in to score a layup, giving the Wizards an 85-78 edge with 45 seconds left.

Back-to-back 3 pointers by Lowry cut it to 89-84 with 7 seconds to go, but Garrett Temple sealed it by making one of two at the line.

Okafor led all scorers with six points in the first, including a fast-break slam dunk in the final second that gave the Wizards a 17-16 lead.

Beal scored seven points in the second and Price had five to give the Wizards a 40-32 lead at the half.

Toronto's 32 points at the break matched its season low. The Raptors also had 32 first-half points in an 88-82 loss to Memphis on Feb. 20.

Lowry's 3-pointer with 4:14 left in the third tied it at 49-all, but Washington scored the next seven points and closed the quarter on a 14-5 run. Beal scored nine in the third as the Wizards took a 63-54 lead into the fourth

NOTES: Newly acquired Raptors G Sebastian Telfair was activated, while F Mickael Pietrus was inactive. Telfair did not play. ... Raptors F Terrence Ross returned after missing Friday's win over New York because of flu-like symptoms. ... Five of Toronto's next six games are on the road. ... The Raptors are 2-26 when trailing after three quarters. ... Actress Rachel McAdams attended the game.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pierce lifts road-weary Celtics over Jazz in OT

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) The Boston Celtics weren't too tired after playing five games in seven days back and forth across time zones.

They had enough left to play overtime to close out a long Western road trip, beating the Utah Jazz 110-107 on Monday night.

Thirty-five-year-old Paul Pierce led Boston with 26 points, including seven straight in the extra session.

"It was huge,'' Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "Whatever that was, it was the best win of the year for me. . To go into overtime and still have enough to win.''

It wasn't just the ageless Pierce. Kevin Garnett, three months shy of his 37th birthday, stood strong at the end, refusing to let Rivers sub him out by insisting, "I am good.''

Rivers didn't believe that, "but I kept him in and he was terrific.''

Garnett had four points in overtime on 2-of-2 shooting, with three rebounds. He finished with 13 points, 10 rebounds, a blocked shot and steal.

The Celtics also got a big game from Avery Bradley, who scored a season-high 18 points on 8-of-12 shooting.

Pierce had a chance to win it in regulation, but his 19-footer at the buzzer rimmed out.

Alec Burks' reverse layup pulled Utah to 108-105 with 37 seconds left in overtime. Garnett's banked 3-pointer with 13 seconds left came after the shot clock expired, giving the Jazz another chance.

Paul Millsap was fouled before he could get off a 3, but made two free throws with 4.2 seconds remaining.

Courtney Lee added two free throws at the other end with 1.2 seconds left to bump Boston's lead back to three, and Randy Foye's 26-footer at the buzzer missed everything.

It was another one the Jazz let get away, though Monday's game had huge swings both ways from start to finish.

Overall, the game had 13 lead changes and was tied 17 times.

"We were in position,'' said Jazz forward Marvin Williams. "We fought back in the fourth quarter to force overtime but Boston just made big plays down the stretch.''

Gordon Hayward led Utah with 26 points, Millsap had 16 and Al Jefferson finished with 15 points and 11 rebounds.

The Celtics (30-27) were playing their fifth game in seven days, but didn't seem to care down the stretch.

The Jazz (31-26) led 101-99 in overtime on DeMarre Carroll's 21-footer, but Pierce countered with a 3-pointer, then followed with a pull-up jumper over Carroll and a 15-footer to give the Celtics a 106-101 edge with 1:12 left.

Jefferson hit a 15-footer with 1:05 left to get Utah within 106-103, but Garnett's jumper helped seal it.

"We knew this was probably going to be the toughest game for us physically and mentally,'' Pierce said. "Talking about a long road trip, coming in to one of the toughest places to play. We felt we could salvage this trip with a win here. So guys did a good job of just being mentally tough, digging in and doing what we had to do to get the win.''

The Celtics, who went 2-3 on the trip, also were smart down the stretch, fouling with fouls to give and finding a wide-open Lee on the inbounds pass when the Jazz needed a late steal in overtime. His free throws provided the final margin.

The Jazz trailed by eight entering the fourth but opened on a 13-2 run.

Jefferson's 10-foot turnaround jumper over Brandon Bass tied it at 93 with 2:46 left in regulation.

Pierce hit an 18-footer with Carroll diving at him for a 97-95 Boston lead with 36 seconds remaining in regulation, only to see Burks tie it with a tough layup with 19 seconds left.

"We wanted to win in regulation,'' Pierce said. "It would have felt better just to get a stop when we needed it. That's what we need to get better at. We didn't do it in Portland. We didn't do it tonight. That's what we need to start focusing on. When we get the lead and we need crucial stops, we have to figure out how to get them.''

The game took a 16-point swing in the third, as Boston trailed 58-50 only to counter with a 20-4 run and lead 80-72 entering the fourth.

Pierce ignited the run with a 3-pointer, Bradley hit two more 3s and Lee added a dunk after a steal and another 3-pointer. Pierce capped the run with a jumper over Hayward for a 70-62 Boston lead.

The Celtics hit 6 of 13 3-pointers in the 32-point third quarter, while Utah made just 5 of 16 from the field.

It was the same story as Saturday, when the Jazz fought back early only to see the Los Angeles Clippers go on a 23-4 run and douse any hopes.

A Jazz team that had won three straight and seven of 10 has now dropped two in a row.

While Hayward showed he is recovered from a right shoulder injury despite missing a pair of shots in overtime, the Jazz still need point guard Mo Williams back from a thumb injury.

Monday, Earl Watson started over Jamaal Tinsley, but Burks ended up playing the position during Utah's big second-quarter run.

Pierce said Boston reverted to various defenses to slow the Jazz.

"We did a lot of zone, did a lot of man and tried to force turnovers,'' Pierce said. "That's what we have to do. A lot of times we had to go to small because they had plenty of size and they rebound well. We just junked up the game a little bit by changing our defense.''

It may have been junk, but it was a win nonetheless.

"We have champions,'' said guard Jason Terry, who made four 3-pointers and finished with 14 points and two assists off the bench for Boston.

"When you have champions that have been through so many tough games as we have, then you know you're in good hands. For us, we hang our hat on executing down the stretch.''

NOTES; Jazz F Derrick Favors picked up his third foul with 9:06 left in the second quarter. . Jazz G Foye needed four 3-pointers to tie Mehmet Okur (129, 2006-07) for the franchise single-season record. Foye went 0-5 Saturday but hit his first Monday and finished 2 of 6. . Bradley started 5 of 5 and had 10 points in six minutes for Boston, while Millsap started 4 of 4 for Utah. . The Jazz led 53-48 at halftime.

fastbreak

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Durant gets triple-double in 119-74 Thunder rout

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) Russell Westbrook warned Kevin Durant that he was going to come off a pick-and-roll and then make a backdoor cut to the basket.

Thabo Sefolosha dived on the floor to save a possession for the Oklahoma City Thunder and get Durant in position to make another play. In a matter of minutes, Durant went from being in the neighborhood of a triple-double to being right on the doorstep. He made sure to finish it off before another early exit in the Thunder's latest blowout.

Durant had 18 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists - the last five coming in a 4-minute flurry in the third quarter - and the Thunder finished a perfect three-game homestand by routing the short-handed New Orleans Hornets 119-74 on Wednesday night.

"When you get a triple-double, people think it's just about the guy that gets it,'' Durant said. "Your teammates make so many great plays to put you in position to do that. So, it's not just me. My teammates made me look good tonight.''

With Oklahoma City already up by 23, Durant went into assist mode to get his second triple-double since the All-Star break.

He assisted on Westbrook's two-handed dunk and a jumper by Serge Ibaka, then threw an off-target alley-oop that Westbrook was able to lay in. He followed that with a pass to Ibaka for a layup, turning to his teammates on the bench with a big smile afterward. After a timeout, he knew he needed just one more assist and passed up a shot near the elbow to instead set up a 3-pointer by Westbrook from the left corner.

On the next possession, Durant made a 10-foot jumper to make it 87-52 and then came out with the rest of the starters with 4:01 left in the third quarter.

"My teammates just did a great job of making me look good and really giving me that triple-double. I wasn't trying to force it or anything like that,'' Durant said. "I was just playing the game and it happened to come.''

Ryan Anderson started in place of injured No. 1 overall draft pick Anthony Davis (shoulder) and led New Orleans with 14 points. The Hornets trailed by at least 29 in three of the four meetings with Oklahoma City this season, getting swept in the season series.

The margin of victory matched the largest of the season for Oklahoma City and was the biggest blowout the Hornets have suffered this season. It also marked the first back-to-back blowouts by at least 30 points by the Thunder franchise since 1994, when it was located in Seattle.

New Orleans was also without second-leading scorer Eric Gordon, who has been sitting out the second game of back-to-back sets this season while working his way back from a knee injury.

"That's part of the game. We don't make any excuses about not having guys,'' coach Monty Williams said. "If you get a chance to play in the NBA, you've got to cherish it. It's a blessing to play in the NBA. Not everybody looks at it that way.

"We don't have a number of our guys tonight. The guys who get a chance to play, they never know. This could be their last opportunity.''

Westbrook scored 29 points, making all 12 of his free throws, and Ibaka finished with 18 points, seven rebounds and three blocks.

The huge lead gave coach Scott Brooks the whole fourth quarter to rest his starters and give playing time to new acquisitions Derek Fisher and Ronnie Brewer. Fisher, who signed as a free agent after Oklahoma City traded third-string point guard Eric Maynor last week, gained a spot in the rotation and missed a pair of 3-pointers in each half.

Brewer, acquired in a trade with New York last week, played the entire fourth quarter along with Fisher and had five points.

"They bring toughness. They bring experience. They just know how to play,'' Brooks said. "They know where to be, they know when to get out of the way and they know when to make plays.''

The Thunder never trailed and pulled away after a cranking up their defense late in the first half. New Orleans started out 18 for 36 from the field and was within 48-43, then made just nine of 41 shots (22 percent) after that. Oklahoma City recorded five blocks in the first 3 1/2 minutes of the second half and never looked back.

"It wasn't just not making shots. We couldn't get a stop, either,'' Williams said.

Oklahoma City had allowed four straight opponents to shoot 46 percent or better before holding Chicago to an NBA season-low 29.1 percent in a 102-72blowout Sunday night.

The Hornets rallied back from an early 14-point deficit with nine straight points to get within 45-41 on Al-Farouq Aminu's tip-in of a miss by Greivis Vasquez.

Durant responded with a 3-pointer on Oklahoma City's next possession, sparking a 17-4 flurry to finish the half by the Thunder and push the lead to 62-45.

Notes: Williams said the swelling in Davis' sprained left shoulder would be key in when he's able to return. New Orleans' next game is Friday night against Detroit. "Just talking to our trainers, optimistically he's probably day-to-day. We'll re-evaluate him when we get home tonight or tomorrow and see how he feels,'' Williams said. ... The 38-year-old Fisher signed with Oklahoma City for the final part of the season for a second straight year, and Brooks says it's not just about his locker room presence from winning five titles with the Los Angeles Lakers. "Derek gives us a great deal of experience and he's still a player. Trust me, we're not bringing him in here just to tell us good stories about Kobe and Shaq, how they won championship and he was the guy,'' Brooks said. "We're not going to eat S'mores together. He's going to play.''