• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thai girl said she was pushed onto MRT tracks, You believe?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
both results in an inclination towards the train when we are facing it as the train goes past close to our bodies :o:o:o
cannot b ler ...

u xperiens a push wen ze train cums in2 station ... u r push away from ze tracks ...

u xperiens a pull wen train pulls out of station ... ze force pulls u in2 ze tracks ... different ler ...

if me pull ur leg ... izit same as me push ur leg? ... :confused:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
cannot b ler ...

u xperiens a push wen ze train cums in2 station ... u r push away from ze tracks ...

u xperiens a pull wen train pulls out of station ... ze force pulls u in2 ze tracks ... different ler ...

if me pull ur leg ... izit same as me push ur leg? ... :confused:

our dear friend said pushed forward. unless you have your back to the train, then you're pushed away from the track :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Station’s safety features ‘adequate’
Defence witness: Features among best in the world during that time

Published on Nov 02, 2012, ST
By Joyce Lim

ACCORDING to testimony yesterday, Ang Mo Kio MRT station was as safe as it could be when Nitcharee Peneakchanasak, 16, fell on its tracks in April last year.

On the fourth day of the Thai teenager's trial against rail operator SMRT and the Land Transport Authority (LTA), the defendants' lawyer K. Anparasan of KhattarWong called on an expert witness to prove his point.

Mr Anparasan told the court that at the time of the accident, the station had adequate and reasonable safety features, despite not having screen doors on its platform.

This view was endorsed by the defendants' witness, Mr John Peter O'Grady, head of the safety and environment department of the Toronto Transit Commission. He helps develop safety policies and implement safety measures and systems.

Mr O'Grady noted that Singapore has both tactile warnings for the handicapped as well as yellow safety lines on platforms.

This week, Mr O'Grady visited Ang Mo Kio station and learnt of the ambassadors patrolling the platform during peak hours.

He said: "Nowhere in North America do we have (such) ambassadors. There are station managers in New York City, but they are more of providing customer service and giving directions."

Mr O'Grady did not think that having more ambassadors patrolling the station would be a more effective safety practice, as suggested by Professor Natarajan Krishnamurthy, an expert witness for Nitcharee.

Nitcharee is seeking $3.4 million in damages from SMRT and the LTA, after claiming that jostling crowds on the platform had caused her to lose her balance and fall onto the tracks.

She lost both legs in the accident on April 3 last year.

Her lawyer Cosmas Gomez of Cosmas & Co claims SMRT and the LTA should have had sufficient safety measures that could have prevented the accident.

Prof Krishnamurthy told the court that the accident would not have happened if barriers had been put up on the edge of the platform.

As it would take between four and five years to install the screen doors throughout the network, SMRT and the LTA should have put up temporary interim barriers.

But Mr Anparasan disputed Prof Krishnamurthy's suggestion, citing that it would not be feasible as the cost involved in erecting the temporary barriers and monitoring them would be in excess of $170 million.

"That would be disproportionate to the cost of the actual screen doors of $126 million," said Mr Anparasan.

Only about 40 out of 180 countries have platform screen doors, and they are not installed in every station, the court heard.

In his report on safety issues commissioned by the lawyer, Mr O'Grady said that at the time of the incident, Singapore's platform safety systems were among the best in the world and completely adequate to meet the needs of all passengers, including those with visual disabilities.

[email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is pretty much what I had already said.
We are a completely sissified country.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Nitcharee is seeking $3.4 million in damages from SMRT and the LTA, after claiming that jostling crowds on the platform had caused her to lose her balance and fall onto the tracks

if this girl's intention is to lay a false claim to get money, she's not getting my sympathies despite she had lost her legs. her testimony against the CCTV footage, me would trust the CCTV footage.

dvgeek

I am sorry the girl lost her legs. Something of interest to add; If you have lived thailand/bangkok one thing you notice is the widespread lackadaisical walking/standing style. Thai's even have a couple of special names for it. # sabai sabai walking and # duen loy chay. Basically they walk as if in a zombie like state unaware of surroundings and people they may be blocking or slowing down.

I must post a multipart message due to 500 character limits

dvgeek

It is common to see Thai's going down escalators not holding the handrail while checking sms messages on mobile.

They walk into you. They walk into each other. Checking sms messages while entering or leaving a train and slowing down other passengers trying to enter/leave.

dvgeek

They stop on a crowded sidewalk for no apparent reason and interfere with others trying to get somewhere. There have been deaths in which people simply walk into automobile traffic without apparent awareness. I have been on a wide open sidewalk with only one person approaching in a path far from mine yet that person somehow and for no reason I can ever figure out changes path and walks straight into me. Unbelievable. This seems to be a cultural-social-educational phenomenon.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My view is both party could be at fault. My guess is SMRT require to compensate a sum of about 2mil.

It is common to see Thai's going down escalators not holding the handrail while checking sms messages on mobile.

They walk into you. They walk into each other. Checking sms messages while entering or leaving a train and slowing down other passengers trying to enter/leave.

Take it easy....

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
She deserves 100X the amount and the payment should come out of the paychecks of senior management of SMRT!

Yes, let set a milestone.
whatever major accident or mistake happened in any organization, make senior management be responsible for it.
Resignation and deduction from their pay to compensate for...
Otherwise, all those deadwoods remain on board for so long, and prevent new wave from charging forward.

If we do not have the culture of responsibility and accountability, those CEOs, CFOs, COOs, Director, Exe. Members could still be practising ball-licking politics.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
You prefer HK/ S'pore culture and life style?
IMO, Thais behave much better than Sinkies and HKs.
Key point ---> high tolerance level.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i_was_pushed_onto_mrt_tracks_says_thai_student-thumbnail.jpg

Did she fall or was she pushed?

The trial continues today.

lianbeng believes she pushed herself lor! :biggrin: why not?