• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teflon Coated Pan & Wok & Pot - is it safe?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Invited by a Thai lady for dinner at her place. Simple one though. Noticed that her frying pan and a pot the Teflon coated on them had disappeared at least 50%. Did not wonder where they went, obviously into the stomachs. Began to woder

1. if it safe for human body?
2. Any long term efect?
3. when to throw away a worn off pot and pan and wok?
4. What is the alternative to Teflon coated pots and pans?

Brubeck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ceramic coated will be better.

Teflon ones are toxic if the coating gets into the food.

Also, fumes from Teflon coated pans are bad for birds ......so, if you rear birds at home, you shouldn't use these Teflon pans.

My parrot died from these fumes and for the whole of last year, I haven't been striking TOTO or any other forms of lottery.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Also, fumes from Teflon coated pans are bad for birds ......so, if you rear birds at home, you shouldn't use these Teflon pans.

My parrot died from these fumes and for the whole of last year, I haven't been striking TOTO or any other forms of lottery.

No scientific proof yet that Teflon is harmful....
That said I dun want to be guinea pig....also real cooks dun use Teflon pots and pans....no wok hei.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Invited by a Thai lady for dinner at her place. Simple one though. Noticed that her frying pan and a pot the Teflon coated on them had disappeared at least 50%. Did not wonder where they went, obviously into the stomachs. Began to woder

1. if it safe for human body?
2. Any long term efect?
3. when to throw away a worn off pot and pan and wok?
4. What is the alternative to Teflon coated pots and pans?

Tefal used to make only non-stick pans i.e. teflon coated, but I notice that they are now also making stainless steel pans. I think as people become more health conscious they will avoid teflon.
I avoid all teflon & aluminum cookware.

I stainless steel & copper cookware. The products that are in my kitchen are WMF, Lagostina & Sitram. The Sitram cookware I have is from their commercial line & is very solid(ie heavy). You can get it from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...n&field-keywords=sitram&rh=n:1055398,k:sitram

A good Stainless Pan will not warp & develop hot spots. My Lagostina cookware has been in used for 30+ years:eek:

Last edited:

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
The in thing now is using All Clad cookware. As stainless Steel does not conduct heat well, stainless steel cookware is not as good for cooking. All Clad is made of SS on the outside and Aluminum on the inside. And it is expensive.

For non stick, you can use forged ceramic cookware, it does not have coating. For those with coating, use for simple cooking like eggs. Change new ones frequently once you notice the coatings starts to come off. I avoid using those with coatings.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The in thing now is using All Clad cookware. As stainless Steel does not conduct heat well, stainless steel cookware is not as good for cooking. All Clad is made of SS on the outside and Aluminum on the inside. And it is expensive. ......

This is not really a new thing. You will usually find this feature in the more expensive french cookware. The Sitram uses a sandwich copper bottom for better heat conduction . My old, old... Lagostino already had a copper & steel bottom, but I got that set from Canada.

The WMF doesn't use a hybrid bottoms. This is a german brand. They might make good cars but they don't have a history in cooking like the French:smile:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is not really a new thing. You will usually find this feature in the more expensive french cookware. The Sitram uses a sandwich copper bottom for better heat conduction . My old, old... Lagostino already had a copper & steel bottom, but I got that set from Canada.

The WMF doesn't use a hybrid bottoms. This is a german brand. They might make good cars but they don't have a history in cooking like the French:smile:

Yes. Their maids were involved. That is why Frenchmen always look victorius.:o

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank you fellas. So it seemed that Teflon could have potential problem but not confirm, so its better to avoid, safe than sorry.

I like to use those Tiger black wok for my cooking, all sorts of cooking which is why I have a few of them in different sizes and also a few that's like a semi pot. This black steel I am sure is not stainless as the surface will rust if not use for a long time. I wonder of this black steel is safe for cooking especially using strong fire.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you fellas. So it seemed that Teflon could have potential problem but not confirm, so its better to avoid, safe than sorry.

I like to use those Tiger black wok for my cooking, all sorts of cooking which is why I have a few of them in different sizes and also a few that's like a semi pot. This black steel I am sure is not stainless as the surface will rust if not use for a long time. I wonder of this black steel is safe for cooking especially using strong fire.

Although I do not use, non stainless steel pots and pans (I use Lagostina stainless steel), I recall that my mother used and uses one of those steel wok, which if you use it daily, will not rust.
But if you do not use it on a daily basis, I believe that after washing and drying it, apply a thin coat of cooking oil to prevent rust.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you talk to old-timers and zi cha hawkers, they'll tell you that the cast iron wok is still the best for conducting and ensuring even distribution of heat, giving the food enough 火候. Teflon coating interferes with heat distribution and is only good for basic pan-frying. Stainless steel doesn't cut the mustard either.

The only problem with cast iron is that it rusts, so what they do is coat the surface with a thin layer of oil overnight.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The process of coating oil on it is called patination.

Not simply wipe it on, the process is more than that. You got to heat the wok until it smokes and then turn off the fire. Apply lard or a kitchen towel soaked in cooking oil (peanut is best) and then wipe the whole inside with it. Some chefs recommend even doing for the outside surface. Let it sit for a while, and then repeat process by firing it up again etc.

A good patinated surface will look golden brown that turns black after many use. It will then become transformed into a wok that you can fry eggs on it as good as teflon woks, if not better than.

Also, for the first ten or so washes, until it is seasoned, dont use harsh soap or washing liquid detergent to wash it. Get a bamboo brush or hard bristle brush and just wash with water. Because the wok is so smooth, nothing actually will stick on it so hard that you cant wash off with the brush and water. Then dry it by heating.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, the finished teflon coating product is safe if the wok is not super-overheated, bcause then toxic fumes are released. If coating is still intact, no danger. But once coating starts peeling off, throw wok away, as scraped out bits are not good for your health. Normal cooking temp <260C continuously and 300 C occasionally is ok.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The process of coating oil on it is called patination.

Not simply wipe it on, the process is more than that. You got to heat the wok until it smokes and then turn off the fire. Apply lard or a kitchen towel soaked in cooking oil (peanut is best) and then wipe the whole inside with it. Some chefs recommend even doing for the outside surface. Let it sit for a while, and then repeat process by firing it up again etc.

A good patinated surface will look golden brown that turns black after many use. It will then become transformed into a wok that you can fry eggs on it as good as teflon woks, if not better than.

Also, for the first ten or so washes, until it is seasoned, dont use harsh soap or washing liquid detergent to wash it. Get a bamboo brush or hard bristle brush and just wash with water. Because the wok is so smooth, nothing actually will stick on it so hard that you cant wash off with the brush and water. Then dry it by heating.

Interesting, thanks. Learn something new every day.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Actually, the finished teflon coating product is safe if the wok is not super-overheated, bcause then toxic fumes are released. If coating is still intact, no danger. But once coating starts peeling off, throw wok away, as scraped out bits are not good for your health. Normal cooking temp <260C continuously and 300 C occasionally is ok.

Thank you kingrant

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teflon coated bullets work well against bullet-proof jackets (it lubricate the penetrating round). Useful if you are facing SWAT assault team.

Cheers!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ceramic here refers to Al oxide which is 8.5 MOH hardness, It is used for low level ie class 3 armouring of troop movers and can stand machine gun fire. It is not used in battle tank which uses mainly SiC with 9.5 MOH hardness and can stand armour piercing. Sometimes used in conjunction with reactive armour like M1 MBT which enable it to withstand heavy gun or missile fire.

Such ceramic is smooth, hard and chemically inert plus it has hot hardness... therefore ideal as utensil..

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ceramic here refers to Al oxide which is 8.5 MOH hardness, It is used for low level ie class 3 armouring of troop movers and can stand machine gun fire. It is not used in battle tank which uses mainly SiC with 9.5 MOH hardness and can stand armour piercing. Sometimes used in conjunction with reactive armour like M1 MBT which enable it to withstand heavy gun or missile fire.

Such ceramic is smooth, hard and chemically inert plus it has hot hardness... therefore ideal as utensil..

Any known harmful long term side effects to human body?