• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tears and joy on Britain’s St. Helena as 'world's most useless airport' finally opens

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Ed Cropley

JAMESTOWN, St. Helena (Reuters) - One of humanity’s most isolated outposts joined the 21st century on Saturday when the British island of St. Helena, home to "the world's most useless airport", welcomed its first commercial flight.

As the inaugural plane from Johannesburg touched down on the forbidding volcanic outcrop in the middle of the south Atlantic, the travel and history buffs on board clapped and cheered.

"I’ve never felt so emotional in all my life," said Libby Weir-Breen, a British travel operator who has been bringing tourists to the island, 1,200 miles (1,900 km) west of the African nation of Angola, for the last 12 years.

She had flown in specially from Scotland to be on the plane, and dabbed away tears as it touched down on the spectacular cliff-side runway. "I never thought I’d see this day," she said.

The 4,500 people living on St. Helena, a British colony since 1658 - most famous as the windswept outpost where French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte breathed his last - might also be forgiven for thinking the day would never come.

More at https://sg.yahoo.com/news/tears-joy-britain-st-helena-worlds-most-useless-082224077.html

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They can now go visit Napoleon Bonaparte, who would want to visit St. Helena, if one knows Geography & History? unless you are into some research things or very fond of nature..

Maybe from there they can go visit Ascension Island & Tristan Da Cunha...